Garry Lyon - serious mental health condition.

Talk on the national game

Re: Garry Lyon - serious mental health condition.

Postby Bounce of the ball » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:18 pm

I can't answer that and no one can. My comment was not directed at you but anyone who does not understand the illness. Not for one minute am I saying what he did was wrong or right but for people to post he is hiding behind a mental illness is ill informed. Public figures who have had the guts to say they suffer from depression and were suicidal is very courageous. Fools that jump in and make conclusions without knowing a single thing are cowards. We all say about keyboard warriors but what a low individual to say he is hiding behind it.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby whufc » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:21 pm

Bounce of the ball wrote:I can't answer that and no one can. My comment was not directed at you but anyone who does not understand the illness. Not for one minute am I saying what he did was wrong or right but for people to post he is hiding behind a mental illness is ill informed. Public figures who have had the guts to say they suffer from depression and were suicidal is very courageous. Fools that jump in and make conclusions without knowing a single thing are cowards. We all say about keyboard warriors but what a low individual to say he is hiding behind it.

100% agree.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5566 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Sharksta » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:56 am

whufc wrote:
Bounce of the ball wrote:I can't answer that and no one can. My comment was not directed at you but anyone who does not understand the illness. Not for one minute am I saying what he did was wrong or right but for people to post he is hiding behind a mental illness is ill informed. Public figures who have had the guts to say they suffer from depression and were suicidal is very courageous. Fools that jump in and make conclusions without knowing a single thing are cowards. We all say about keyboard warriors but what a low individual to say he is hiding behind it.

100% agree.

Agree.

I think it becomes difficult when people use the blanket mental illness term as it opens them up to speculation yet at the same time I respect their right to privacy.

I'm sure that whufc states he's diagnosed with bipolar it shuts down most questions as it is more specific than "mental illness". Same as myself in having suffered from both depression & an anxiety disorder. I don't walk around with a sign around my neck but when the matter comes up it is usually met with understanding.

When mental illness can cover everything from addiction, depression, anxiety, bipolar, schizophrenia etc it's a fairly broad spectrum. As someone who had the person closest to them choose not to acknowledge the illness I was suffering, I'd hope that the term isn't being used as a tool to hide behind because that belittles those genuine cases.

The problem is we all know how corrupt the afl can be & how they have big brooms that sweep so much under the carpet & there in lies the doubt.
Sharksta
Rookie

Has liked: 477 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby DoublebluTiger » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:29 am

Few things:

Fair to say that none of us really know the whole story of what's gone on.

Sadly the PR spin doctoring and plus a heightened awareness their methods has made the general public more aware of some the tactics or 'statements' that are made to cover a multitude of sins.

I have no idea about Garry's condition but I can understand how people can see he's hiding behind 'mental issue' tag. I'm not saying he is but I can see how people can be cynical about it.

Question: Can football followers be put in two or three groups. The footytainment types who like the The Footy Show and/or The Footy Tragics where the game itself; tactics, players etc are the main focus?
Success is in trying
DoublebluTiger
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 50 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:36 am

Answer: No
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2023 times
Been liked: 3868 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby shoe boy » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:32 am

Is James Hird about to have a mental breakdown ?
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:05 am

bennymacca wrote:
whufc wrote:
Yeah maybe over diagnose wasn't the correct wording but i guess what im getting at is that mental illness seems to be getting used a lot more in cases where people may be looking to 'lower, down play etc their consequences for certain actions'

If i was to go and start sleeping with my mates misses at what point do i go from being some one who 'feels guilty and not great about myself' as i should feel from doing those actions to someone who has 'mental illness'.

could be the other way round too - person has pre-existing undiagnosed (or unreported in the media) mental health issues, deals with them in inappropriate ways, like banging mate's missus, or going on a bender etc, then we find out about both issues at once, and it looks like one is used as a cover for the other.

From what I'm hearing that may well be the case.
But it's still none of our business.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Booney » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:13 am

Dogwatcher wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
whufc wrote:
Yeah maybe over diagnose wasn't the correct wording but i guess what im getting at is that mental illness seems to be getting used a lot more in cases where people may be looking to 'lower, down play etc their consequences for certain actions'

If i was to go and start sleeping with my mates misses at what point do i go from being some one who 'feels guilty and not great about myself' as i should feel from doing those actions to someone who has 'mental illness'.

could be the other way round too - person has pre-existing undiagnosed (or unreported in the media) mental health issues, deals with them in inappropriate ways, like banging mate's missus, or going on a bender etc, then we find out about both issues at once, and it looks like one is used as a cover for the other.

From what I'm hearing that may well be the case.
But it's still none of our business.

This. ^

For some reason the general viewing public seem to think "famous" people who earn lots of money some how no longer have the right to privacy.

I couldn't care less about the happenings, I do care that another human is suffering and needs help.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7468 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Magellan » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:13 am

Mental illness is still an illness, and those suffering deserve to be treated in a dignified manner regardless of how it's acquired.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby superlative steve » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:16 am

The guy is a dog. Hope he gets hung out to dry. Don't care what he has, how depressed he is blah blah blah.
superlative steve
Under 16s

Been liked: 30 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:09 am

Also quite interesting how the woman is blameless in this too. Surely she should also be pilloried as having an affair with her friend's ex?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:22 am

bennymacca wrote:Also quite interesting how the woman is blameless in this too. Surely she should also be pilloried as having an affair with her friend's ex?

Surely she and all parties have a right for people to mind their own ******* business?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Magellan » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:26 am

bennymacca wrote:Also quite interesting how the woman is blameless in this too. Surely she should also be pilloried as having an affair with her friend's ex?

All we know is that there was an affair, but we don't know who instigated it. It could've been her, for all we know. If we adopt the 'don't shag your mate's ex' philosophy mentioned in earlier posts then Lyon would be at fault on either count; he should've (a) rejected her advances, or (b) he should've resisted making his move on to her.

What's her obligations here? Not sure. She might be Billy's ex, but she must've been aware of Billy and Lyon's strong friendship, and it follows she must've known it was likely that knocking boots with Lyon would result considerable consequences. So perhaps she deserves to shoulder some of the blame too.

I guess it doesn't really matter anyway, because in the end it takes two to tango.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby superlative steve » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:31 am

Booney wrote:

Surely she and all parties have a right for people to mind their own ******* business?

Huh
superlative steve
Under 16s

Been liked: 30 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:32 am

Magellan wrote:

All we know is that there was an affair, but we don't know who instigated it. It could've been her, for all we know. If we adopt the 'don't shag your mate's ex' philosophy mentioned in earlier posts then Lyon would be at fault on either count; he should've (a) rejected her advances, or (b) he should've resisted making his move on to her.

What's her obligations here? Not sure. She might be Billy's ex, but she must've been aware of Billy and Lyon's strong friendship, and it follows she must've known it was likely that knocking boots with Lyon would result considerable consequences. So perhaps she deserves to shoulder some of the blame too.

I guess it doesn't really matter anyway, because in the end it takes two to tango.

My point was she was also friends with Gary's ex wife, so "dont shag your mate's ex" applies equally well to her situation doesnt it?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:34 am

superlative steve wrote:
Booney wrote:

Huh

What do you mean "huh"? Is it any of your, or mine for that matter, business? Nope, unless you're one of the parties involved, got nothing to do with you or me. Let the people sort their shit out.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Magellan » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:37 am

bennymacca wrote:
Magellan wrote:

My point was she was also friends with Gary's ex wife, so "dont shag your mate's ex" applies equally well to her situation doesnt it?

I didn't appreciate her perspective that fully, but yes, your point makes eminent sense.
Magellan
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:41 am

Booney wrote:
What do you mean "huh"? Is it any of your, or mine for that matter, business? Nope, unless you're one of the parties involved, got nothing to do with you or me. Let the people sort their shit out.

If you want to work in the media and voice your opinion on others, you're going to come under scrutiny when you f*** up yourself.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:46 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:

If you want to work in the media and voice your opinion on others, you're going to come under scrutiny when you f*** up yourself.

The media don't think like that, they think they're immune and get very litigation happy when the shoe is on the other foot. Pack of hypocrites.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2023 times
Been liked: 3868 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Booney » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:10 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:

So Lyon gets paid to make a comment on how North Melbourne are developing their young midfielders and it gives everyone else the right to stick their nose into his private affairs?

Yeah, I can see the logic in that. :roll:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL