Garry Lyon - serious mental health condition.

Talk on the national game

Re: Garry Lyon - serious mental health condition.

Postby superlative steve » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:04 pm

Booney you are hurting my head. You think that everyone should be respectful to this guy after what he done this to his best mate. Please
superlative steve
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 30 times

Postby marbles » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:06 pm

sorry mate, im in love with her too, i kinda always have been :(( all these years she was just the best part of my life. when you 2 broke up, the window just opened and there she was... single =P~
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 259 times

Postby Spargo » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:10 pm

I posed on the first page of this topic the possibility that Lyon was hiding behind mental illness.
I spoke to a couple of mates today, one suffers from clinical depression, the other experiences acute episodes of psychosis (and spent time in James Nash House). They both said pretty much the same thing - that they hope Lyon's not hiding behind mental illness & then, that he gets whatever help he needs. They completely understood that people would question Lyon's sincerity, given how it is used as an excuse by so many in society who get themselves into trouble to garner leniency and/or sympathy. The fact he's a leading media figure, as posted previously, doesn't evoke as much empathy from many as it may well for others.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5486 times
Been liked: 5124 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:13 pm

Booney wrote:I guess the term "private life" is no longer relevant at all then.

Hopefully Gary is getting the help he needs.

Help keeping it in his pants Booney? You don't buy this 'mental health condition' bit do you? Sounds like he's been plonking his mate's wife and maybe he has been for years. It's a dead set no go area. This mental health condition is a cop out, at least that's how I see it. The Nine PR machine says 'no one will have a crack at him if we roll this out and maybe we can get him back on air, think of the ratings'. But if he comes out and admits he plonked his mate's missus he's a less marketable figure.

The mental health angle might have some validity to it...he's ****** up and he rightly feels like an arsehole...but he's committed another clanger by hiding from it in such a way because there are people who face much bigger battles. There's been a lot of scuttlebutt (read Bullshit maybe) about the Coke scene with some of these blokes. Despite the fact that I find it very hard to feel sorry for any of those blokes (I'm sure Billy is no angel) they are both are entitled to their privacy regardless of prior media involvement. The person who really needs support is Brownless.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Magellan » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:16 pm

amber_fluid wrote:But Gary Lyon has made a career out of belittling smaller and less fortunate people than himself and has been part of many stories on the footy show that have hurt people over time.........so forgive us for not giving a shit about him in 'HIS' hour of need that he created

Garry Lyon has also belittled himself a fair bit on the Footy Show, as well, or at least put himself up for ridicule. Again, I think 'belittling' others is overstating it, and I'd like to see some examples of whatever this is. We also don't know whether the mental illness is a precondition or a consequence of his affair, so I'm not sure that he in fact created his hour of need.

No-one has to give a sh!t about him, and in fact, the world would be a better place if no-one did and just let him be to sort out his stuff.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:23 pm

Magellan wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:But Gary Lyon has made a career out of belittling smaller and less fortunate people than himself and has been part of many stories on the footy show that have hurt people over time.........so forgive us for not giving a shit about him in 'HIS' hour of need that he created

Garry Lyon has also belittled himself a fair bit on the Footy Show, as well, or at least put himself up for ridicule. Again, I think 'belittling' others is overstating it, and I'd like to see some examples of whatever this is. We also don't know whether the mental illness is a precondition or a consequence of his affair, so I'm not sure that he in fact created his hour of need.

No-one has to give a sh!t about him, and in fact, the world would be a better place if no-one did and just let him be to sort out his stuff.

Whether it's a precondition or a consequence................ No illness in the world MAKES you put your dick where it shouldn't be.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2227 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby Booney » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:24 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
Booney wrote:I guess the term "private life" is no longer relevant at all then.

Hopefully Gary is getting the help he needs.

Help keeping it in his pants Booney? You don't buy this 'mental health condition' bit do you? Sounds like he's been plonking his mate's wife and maybe he has been for years. It's a dead set no go area. This mental health condition is a cop out, at least that's how I see it. The Nine PR machine says 'no one will have a crack at him if we roll this out and maybe we can get him back on air, think of the ratings'. But if he comes out and admits he plonked his mate's missus he's a less marketable figure.

The mental health angle might have some validity to it...he's ****** up and he rightly feels like an arsehole...but he's committed another clanger by hiding from it in such a way because there are people who face much bigger battles. There's been a lot of scuttlebutt (read Bullshit maybe) about the Coke scene with some of these blokes. Despite the fact that I find it very hard to feel sorry for any of those blokes (I'm sure Billy is no angel) they are both are entitled to their privacy regardless of prior media involvement. The person who really needs support is Brownless.

regards,

REB

With the limited knowledge I have of the situation I won't be calling the bloke a dog ( someone did, not you ) or calling him out that his mental illness condition is bullshit.Couple of headlines, couple of syndicated articles and we're all fully across the events.

Not going to deny his efforts with Mrs Brownless are poor, but I reakon giving them all some privacy isn't much to ask. None of us know them, none of us know what happened, it's none of our business, that's what I thought anyway. Seems Joe Public is keen for a tell all expose on A Current Affair tonight if we could get it.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:27 pm

Yeah don't care about that but it all seems so scripted. I reckon Buddy's is dodgy as well but then again I'm a cynical bastard.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby whufc » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:32 pm

There is a lot of blurred lines when it comes to mental illness.

Over the last few years through my work I have done at least 3 mental first aid courses.

Now they have taught (and rightfully so) that mental illness should not be treated any different to physical illnesses.

If your feeling depressed for a couple of days you should seek mental first aid no different to you taking some Panadol because you have a headache, that all makes perfectly good sense and is very logical.

But is it morally right to put yourself in the bracket of having a mental illness if your actions cause the medical condition. Would it be no different to the misses complaining and whinging about her headache after she drank two bottles of wine on an empty stomach. Yes technically you are unwell and yes I will give you first aid treatment in the way of Panadol, icepack, rest etc but to class yourself as being 'sick' would see very little sympathy given and would very much be at a stretch.

I'm not saying Lyon has used this as an excuse because we don't need to the circumstances leading up, during or after the events that took place.

But as a society im a little concerned about how easy to term 'mental illness' is now being thrown around (previously it wasn't used enough and now I feel its getting used far to easily) and that it may actually place a different kind of stigma around mental health where if we put in every one in the category of suffering mental illness the 'genuine' cases will be down played with the old 'oh its just another person suffering a tad of depression etc)

Im not sure if that makes sense and I apologise if it has offended anyone.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:35 pm

We need 2 threads......one about mental illness and one about rooting your best mates missus.
They are not related other than rooting your best mates missus and then getting caught will make you depressed as everyone thinks you're a Prick!!!
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:36 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:Yeah don't care about that but it all seems so scripted. I reckon Buddy's is dodgy as well but then again I'm a cynical bastard.

regards,

REB

I'm as cynical as the next drunk 40 year old, but I've come to understand mental illness more over the last 5 or so years with two close mates going through differing circumstances and I reakon it's one thing you don't question somebody over, I'm certainly not going to call bullshit on someone I don't know, have never met or have anything to do with.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:42 pm

amber_fluid wrote:We need 2 threads......one about mental illness and one about rooting your best mates missus.
They are not related other than rooting your best mates missus and then getting caught will make you depressed as everyone thinks you're a Prick!!!

They are definitely related!!!

In Lyons scenario (it could be im not saying it is) that his actions of rooting his best mates missuses could have led him into a state of depression which is a mental illness.

In a lot of cases mental illness is triggered, in my case with bi-polar I generally do not suffer from spontaneous episodes most if not all of my episodes both hi and low are trigged from reactions to my actions.

Do I consider myself to be mentally ill NO, I look at my self as someone who struggles to deal with certain situations, as I get older I learn what these triggers are and for me my medicine is to simply prevent these triggers.
whufc
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:44 pm

Booney wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:Yeah don't care about that but it all seems so scripted. I reckon Buddy's is dodgy as well but then again I'm a cynical bastard.

regards,

REB

I'm as cynical as the next drunk 40 year old, but I've come to understand mental illness more over the last 5 or so years with two close mates going through differing circumstances and I reakon it's one thing you don't question somebody over, I'm certainly not going to call bullshit on someone I don't know, have never met or have anything to do with.

So if he does have a mental health issue which we have no reason to doubt otherwise, this excuses his actions somehow?
I'm lost! :D
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:47 pm

whufc wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:We need 2 threads......one about mental illness and one about rooting your best mates missus.

In Lyons scenario (it could be im not saying it is) that his actions of rooting his best mates missuses could have led him into a state of depression which is a mental illness.

It could have........... But he chose to bang her............I was always told as a youngster that my actions have consequences so think first.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:48 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Booney wrote:

regards,

REB

So if he does have a mental health issue which we have no reason to doubt otherwise, this excuses his actions somehow?

That's the fine line we are now imho starting to cross

Maybe not in Lyons case but I see in both the media through our justice system and every day life that people are using mental Ilness more and more as a get out of jail / leave me alone card which in itself is leading to its own stigma
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:49 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
whufc wrote:

It could have........... But he chose to bang her............I was always told as a youngster that my actions have consequences so think first.

I totally agree but none the less they are related
whufc
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:15 pm

Booney wrote:

regards,

REB

Im not sure that we are questioning Lyon. I think we are more questioning whether its PR spin from media managers to paint Lyon in a better light.
By the way I have been through this myself and know the seriousness of mental health
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Booney » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:16 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Booney wrote:

regards,

REB

Ultimately, I see it as none of our business either way,but to placate the situation, it doesn't excuse his actions, but who is it being "excused" to? You, me, anyone on here? Nope.

Some people on here are quite upset that Lyon shagged Brownless' Mrs, like it's the first and /or last time that'll ever happen in the history of the world! lol
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:17 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
Booney wrote:

regards,

REB

Im not sure that we are questioning Lyon. I think we are more questioning whether its PR spin from media managers to paint Lyon in a better light.
By the way I have been through this myself and know the seriousness of mental health

Agreed, that's why I'm taking the stance I have.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:27 pm

Booney wrote:
Ultimately, I see it as none of our business either way,but to placate the situation, it doesn't excuse his actions, but who is it being "excused" to? You, me, anyone on here? Nope.

Some people on here are quite upset that Lyon shagged Brownless' Mrs, like it's the first and /or last time that'll ever happen in the history of the world! lol

I don't give a toss if he shagged Brownless' watermelon, he banged his missus and I think it's a dog act therefore I have zero respect for him, whether he cares or not doesn't bother me the slightest either, it appears as though I'm with the masses.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7926 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL