Port Adelaide 2016

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2016

Postby Wedgie » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:19 am

Booney wrote:Kinda miss the dedicated Port and Adelaide boards, in the main it kept this irrelevant stuff out of there.

That was a good initiative by the mods.

Agreed. Pity it failed due to lack of activity by Power fans, it just couldn't be justified in the end.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2023 times
Been liked: 3868 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:30 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Booney wrote:Kinda miss the dedicated Port and Adelaide boards, in the main it kept this irrelevant stuff out of there.

Agreed. Pity it failed due to lack of activity by Power fans, it just couldn't be justified in the end.

BWHAHAHA. Should have put some virtual tarps up. :D

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby marbles » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:06 am

Dutchy wrote:
Granty83 wrote:Here is our Best 22 for 2016... What you guys and girls think: http://fantasyfootballnuts.net/afl-port ... -for-2016/

B: Jack Hombsch, Alipate Carlile, Jarman Impey
HB: Matthew Broadbent, Jackson Trengove, Hamish Hartlett
C: Jared Polec, Brad Ebert, Jasper Pittard
HF: Justin Westhoff, Charlie Dixon, Robbie Gray
F: Sam Gray, Jay Schulz, Chad Wingard
Foll: Matthew Lobbe, Travis Boak, Ollie Wines
I/C: Jimmy Toumpas, Matt White, Tom Jonas, Brendon Ah Chee

Pittard on the wing? Toumpas in your best 22? Im not convinced Dixon and Schulz will play in the same forward line

Port didnt show any sign of life last year until jakey neade and john butcher came into the side
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby stan » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:55 am

Rik E Boy wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

BWHAHAHA. Should have put some virtual tarps up. :D

regards,

REB

innovative advertising, I think REB is on to something.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby valleys07 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:31 pm

Port Adelaide's NAB Challenge Squad v. Sydney:

2. Kane Mitchell
3. Jake Neade
5. Matthew Broadbent
11. John Butcher
12. Jackson Trengove
13. Cameron O’Shea
14. Paul Stewart
15. Karl Amon
16. Oliver Wines
17. Tom Clurey
18. Jimmy Toumpas
19. Matthew White
20. Chad Wingard
21. Jared Polec
24. Jarman Impey
26. Riley Bonner
27. Alipate Carlile
29. Jasper Pittard
30. Sam Colquhoun
31. Aidyn Johnson
32. Dougal Howard
33. Darcy Byrne-Jones
34. Will Snelling
36. Jack Hombsch
37. Jesse Palmer
40. Aaron Young
41. Brendon Ah Chee
42. Tom Jonas
44. Cameron Hewett

Debutante's in bold.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Lakesider » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:08 pm

Wedgie wrote:

No-one could ever accuse this site as being welcoming to Port fans!
Lakesider
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Barmera-Monash

Postby Wedgie » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:52 pm

Lakesider wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

No-one could ever accuse this site as being welcoming to Port fans!

The forum discussed was for Power fans only. There's plenty about but for one reason or another didn't warm to the idea of them talking only amongst themselves.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2023 times
Been liked: 3868 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby MW » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:26 pm

I'm hearing there was an agreement for both Port and Crows to pump $400k into SANFL p.a. for allowing reserves sides in the SANFL. Crows have paid up and Port not a dime. Any of you Port people shed any light on this?
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:44 pm

Port made a $1m payment to the SANFL this year, the make up of that I'm yet to fully establish. I'm still looking into it, I may need a year book to answer that. ( Which I don't have yet )
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7468 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby valleys07 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:06 pm

NAB 1 Review vs. Sydney

Sydney 1.10.12.81
Port Adelaide 1.7.9.60

Super Goal: Jared Polec; Goals- Colquhoun 2, Neade, Ah Chee, Palmer, White, Snelling 1.

Footy is back, finally! Port Adelaide fans got their first look at the boys in action on Saturday against the Swans, in what turned out to be a pretty impressive performance, taking into account the inexperience we put on the park. Previous years have seen the pundits questioning our depth after being comfortably beaten when playing our reserves (2014- 60 Points vs. Adelaide & 2015- 66 Points vs. Richmond), so my expectations pre-saturday’s game were much of the same, and I went about capitalising on some long awaited Jnr Valleys free time at the brother-in-laws wedding :partyman:

Watching the replay, considering the first choice names we had left out (Boak, R.Gray, Wines, Ebert, Hartlett, Wingard, Lobbe, Schulz, Dixon, Hombsch, Broadbent, Pittard and Westhoff), I was stoked with the endeavour and attack on the contest from our younger brigade. Our 2nd string midfield contested hard with the likes of Parker, Kennedy, Hannebery, Mitchell and co., our small forwards looked lively around the contest, and I thought our backline defended amicably against a mobile Swans attack.

What was most pleasing for mine was our game style. There have been many theories thrown about, and experts have come out with stats and figures to try and answer what when wrong with Port Adelaide in season 2015, and all arrive at the same conclusion- Port Adelaide needed to get better at the contest, and regain that hard spread once the footy was won. On Saturday, there was a fierce hunger for the contested ball. Groundball was a massive weakness for us in 2015, and our young brigade really took it up to a more experienced Sydney midfield. Whilst we still played wide when beginning our attacking forays out of the back half, there was lots of hard running, lots of long kicks into open space to exploit Sydney for pace and lots of overlap handball where we tried to use the corridor and wings to force quick F50 entries. The negative of this game style is that the opposition can punish you on the turnover by playing an open forward line, and Sydney did this to good effect for most of the day with Sinclair, Towers, Franklin and Tippett all getting cracks at one on one contests inside Sydney’s forward 50.

If the speed of ball movement and appetite for the contest matches what we will play in NAB 2, 3 and beyond with our most experienced side on the park, then Power fans can enter 2016 with a lot of hope for what 2016 has in store.

Things that went right:
• Contested Possession- The numbers certainly don’t paint a pretty picture for Power fans, but for mine- the numbers don’t accurately reflect how well we attacked and defended. We lost Clearances (44-35) and Contested Possession (135-114) but with Bass at the forefront of the changes we have made to our game plan defensively, I was thoroughly impressed with how we operated around the contest. Consider the names atop of the clearance list for Sydney (Kennedy 8, Parker 7, Hannebery 5) as opposed to Port (Gray, Amon, Young 5, Snelling, Howard 4) along with the fact we lost hitouts 60-24, it appears to me as though Port are coaching around losing more than most of the stoppage/centre clearance ball up’s without Ryder, and are looking to outnumber opposition mids at stoppages to either win the ball and feed it out to runners, or to tackle our way to a turnover. I can’t wait to see our first string midfield in Lobbe, Boak, Ebert, Wines, Gray to get a clearer picture of how we approach the contested footy- but signs of improvement are there.
• Team Defence- Port lost the disposal count 383-244, but once again this stat doesn’t accurately highlight how well we used the footy across the game, nor how well we were able to defend Sydney, and press them into their defensive half. Before the monsoon swept over Blacktown, in particular the first half, Sydney’s over-inflated possession count was attributed to Port’s full oval press- with Sydney in the first quarter alone leading the possession count +70, however only 30% of the quarter was spent in their forward half.

Things that need improving:
• Disposal Efficiency- on a day where I couldn’t find too many faults, I didn’t like the fact that only Polec and Toumpas had D/E’s over 75% from our midfield group. What makes Hawthorn such a brilliant offensive team, is that by control of possession, not only does it give them control of the game, but it gives them time to structure up defensively, hence why their defence is #1 for causing turnovers. It was a shame to see us work so hard to turn the footy over or win a contested footy and work it into space, only to see us hand it straight back to Sydney, or force another contest via a stoppage or boundary throw in. I think Port are building a squad of quality ball users, with names such as Amon, Bonner, Polec, Toumpas renowned for their work by foot- but in the heat of battle when you are able to work it clear of a stoppage, nothing frustrates coaches (and supporters) more than a rushed kick to nowhere.

Player Reviews:

Top 5:
Sam Gray- (21D,5CL,5T,3I50). Whilst his disposal efficiency was down, he was still best on for Port. Clearance work picked up where he left off last season, and improved his defensive pressure with 5 tackles. Had a laugh with his midfield matchup on Buddy. A must in our Round 1 side.

Brendan Ah Chee- (12D,5T,1G). I still pinch myself when thinking of the turnaround of this lad. Reminded me a lot of Greg Williams yesterday, particularly in close with his ability to get his arms free and extract the footy when under extreme pressure. Another who must feature in Round 1.

Jake Neade- (9D,3M,4T,5I50,1.1). Loved his game, and will only benefit when our more dangerous small forwards return to the line up. My criticisms of Jake have always been strength and aerobic capacity, and he has improved in both of these area’s for mine. Went on multiple dashing runs through the midfield using his trademark speed, gave a great don’t argue in the 2nd quarter which set up a Colquhoun goal, and kicked a great snap goal in the 3rd. What really pleased me about his game yesterday was his added defensive pressure acts in the F50. Was reminiscent of Cyril in his 1-2-3 efforts- if he could be half as good this season, I’ll be a happy man.

Dougal Howard- (10D,7HO,4CL,6T,3I50). All the rage over the summer as far as back up for Lobbe is concerned, has been Frampton. Well Dougal, thanks to Billy being injured, thankfully backed up what Port fans saw on family day with another super competitive performance, giving hope that should disaster strike with Lobbe, we will at least be able to break even with Dougs smashing in at centre bounces. Found it tough up against Sinclair and Tippett, particularly as the game wore on in terms of hitout’s, but absolutely loved his endeavour and aggressiveness at the contest. Not out of the question for a Round 1 spot.

Jimmy Toumpas- (14D,3M,5T,2I50). A non event in the 1st quarter, but after quarter time he worked his way into the game with some neat ball use. I would still like to see more from him on the inside, but I thought he started some important link-up with breakaway speed, and barely wasted a possession. A good first up hitout for the former demon, but still a way to go.

The Rest:
Cameron O’Shea- (15D,5M,7R50,3T). Won a bit of the footy and used it relatively well. A quintessential O’Shea performance I thought- got in the right spots to win the footy, and ran hard to create, but wasn’t overly damaging with his disposal. A typically slow starter to the season, he would want to be at peak form to be considered for R1.

Aaron Young- (17D,5CL,4T). I love Youngy’s work in close, but thought his disposal was rushed a majority of the time, forcing the turnover. There was one passage of play in the 2nd term where he broke free from a contest and had plenty of space, but perceived pressure/lack of talk from his teammate forced an errant kick. Much like Andrew Moore, lacks other aspects to his game. He had a quiet first half, but won a few clearances once the weather set in. I would doubt Youngy will play much senior footy this year, but should be a consistent performer at SANFL level for the magpies, and handy depth if required.

Karl Amon- (14D,3M,5CL,6I50). Enjoyed Karl’s game, has silky skills and moves well in and out of traffic. Disposal efficiency surprised me when looking at the numbers, I thought he was cleaner with his disposal than stats suggest. Got in and got his hands dirty which was great to see from him. Was a valuable link up for us throughout the day.

Sam Colquhoun- (10D,3M,2.0). His 2nd quarter was the entire show unfortunately, as he did not impact the contest outside of that. Needs to be a lot more influential at the foot of the contest if he wants to be a regular small forward. Prepared to persist with him there though. Got on the end of some good work up field to kick 2 goals.

Darcy Byrne-Jones- (15D,4M,5R50). Darcy really needs to step things up this season for the Maggies, and went some way to doing that yesterday I thought. Got himself in good spots for intercepts and spoils, and provided us with valuable rebound from defensive 50. Needs to tidy up his ball use a bit, but a big step forward from when I last saw him against the Tigers this time last year.

Jackson Trengove- (9D,11HO,3T). Was most pleasing to see Jacko back in the ruck again, as we are going to need multiple support options for Lobbes. Competed well whilst in the square and around the ground, and was solid defensively.

Jesse Palmer- (8D,3T,1.1). Caught my eye a few times in the family day internal, but was solid yesterday without being outstanding. Kicked a great goal in the 3rd quarter, and I thought he used the ball well when he got it. Needs to find ways to become more involved in the contest.

Matt White- (9D,2T,1.1). Was one of our best before he seemed to injure his hand just before half time. Kicked a lovely goal in the 1st quarter, and was his usual zippy self around the contest, and constantly looked to provide run and carry. Hugely important to our best 22, particularly if we are looking to recapture our 2014 form.

Will Snelling- (7D,4CL,6T). I really enjoyed this lad’s game, and surely he and Krak are monty’s to get upgraded to the senior list. Kicked a lovely goal from the boundary in the 1st term, and was really influential around the stoppages. For a young lad, he has impressive strength around the contest- no doubt his 2015 senior experience at SANFL level has done him wonders. I was reminded of Sam Mitchell in his formative years.

Tom Clurey- (9D,3M,4R50,4x1%). I really like what Tommy offers the side, and would have him knocking on the door come round 1. Barely gave Franklin an inch all day, and offers us plenty of drive from the half back line. Has great closing speed.

Alipate Carlile- (9D,2M,4x1%). Neither here nor there for Bobby. Rotated between Franklin and Tippett, I thought he did a serviceable job on both. Neat disposal and got into good positions to perfect the spoil.

Aidyn Johnson- (6D,3T). Has great pace, but spent a majority of the contest chasing without much reward. He will be good for the run as he looks to develop at SANFL level this season.

Riley Bonner- (9D,4R50,2I50). Our first pick in the 2015 draft, Riley showed me enough to suggest that he can force his way into the AFL side this season. I love the prototype silky left footer, and Riley will be that player for us down the track, I have no doubt. Entrusted with kick-in duties after half time, he has the penetration in his kick to clear opposition zone set ups, and backs himself in to beat his opponent on the rebound.

Kane Mitchell- (9D,3I50). A player that has gotten the absolute best out of himself, I can’t see Mitchell offer us much more than SANFL consistency, and handy depth at AFL level this season. Has brilliant aerobic capacity, but simply can’t use the footy when he gets it. It wouldn’t kill him to stick a tackle either!

Paul Stewart- (10D). Will be good depth, but not much more. Played as a quasi-tall forward before being shifted down back in the 2nd half.

Jared Polec- (5D,2I50,1.0). The best 5 disposals you will ever see haha! Kicked a fantastic (not quite) supergoal, and seemed to be re-adjusting to the pace of the game. Cannot wait to see him roaming the wings again in 2016!

John Butcher- (7D,2M). Our only tall target today in the absence of Schulz, Dixon and Westhoff- it was obvious he was going to be in for a tough day. I thought he competed really well and always brought the ball forward at contests. A nice grab and dish off to Polec for a goal, his only highlight.

Tom Jonas- (8D,3x1%). Barely gave Heeney a sniff before he went off injured, and didn’t notice him a great deal after that. Some great intercept work a highlight.

Cam Hewett- (2D). Came on in the last quarter and had 2 kicks. Came on just as the heavens opened, which wasn’t great timing for him!

This week will see us host Melbourne at Playford Alive Oval, with wholesale changes expected as we ramp up our round 1 preparations. Really hoping that we maintain the defensive structures shown in NAB 1 when we transition towards our round 1 side.

Did note that Krakouer is set to miss a month of footy with a hamstring injury: http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2 ... nge-game-1

No other injury concerns to report, with White obviously not experiencing any repercussions with that hand injury. Charlie Dixon (meniscus) and Billy Frampton (foot), are both 2-3 weeks away.

Bring on NAB 2- carn the Pear!

Valleys.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

valleys07
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:59 am

Great review mate. I'll pick the bones out of it throughout the day. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Failed Creation » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:06 pm

You're a marvel, Valleys, and a top bloke to boot!
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3307 times
Been liked: 613 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby valleys07 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:09 pm

Cheers lads. Getting pretty keen to see the boys in action this saturday!

valleys07
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:26 pm

Port Adelaide NAB Challenge team list v Melbourne
Saturday 27 February, Elizabeth Oval, 1:35pm (ACDT)

1. Travis Boak

3. Jake Neade

5. Matthew Broadbent

7. Brad Ebert

8. Hamish Hartlett

9. Robbie Gray

11. John Butcher

12. Jackson Trengove

13. Cameron O’Shea

15. Karl Amon

16. Oliver Wines

18. Jimmy Toumpas

19. Matthew White

20. Chad Wingard

21. Jared Polec

23. Matthew Lobbe

24. Jarman Impey

27. Alipate Carlile

28. Jay Schulz

29. Jasper Pittard

32. Dougal Howard

33. Darcy Byrne-Jones

36. Jack Hombsch

37. Jesse Palmer

39. Justin Westhoff

40. Aaron Young

41. Brendon Ah Chee

42. Tom Jonas

46. Sam Gray

Into 29: Boak, Broadbent, Ebert, Hartlett, R. Gray, Wines, Wingard, Lobbe, Impey, Schulz, Pittard, Hombsch, Westhoff
Out of 29: Mitchell, Stewart, Clurey, Bonner, Colquhoun, Johnson, Snelling, Hewett

valleys07
Coach

Postby Fluffbag » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:11 pm

Quick question, do anyone know whether Mason Shaw is playing anywhere this year? I alway liked him when saw him playing for South
Fluffbag
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 48 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:15 pm

Fluffbag wrote:Quick question, do anyone know whether Mason Shaw is playing anywhere this year? I alway liked him when saw him playing for South

Went back home to WA.

And South Fremantle have succeeded in their own search for another key forward, with de-listed Port Adelaide tall Mason Shaw committing to the club until the end of 2017

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport ... ns-demons/
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Fluffbag » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:50 pm

Booney wrote:
Fluffbag wrote:Quick question, do anyone know whether Mason Shaw is playing anywhere this year? I alway liked him when saw him playing for South

Went back home to WA.

And South Fremantle have succeeded in their own search for another key forward, with de-listed Port Adelaide tall Mason Shaw committing to the club until the end of 2017

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport ... ns-demons/

Thank you for that
Fluffbag
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 48 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby carey » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:27 am

I thought he was going to be a good one when I first seen him in a trial about 3 years ago
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby cracka » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:03 am

Wedgie wrote:
cracka wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
Ruben Carter wrote:Didn't it occur to you that maybe because Port are playing their 20th season and the Crows their 25th? :roll: Hard to imagine why people ignore non SA club supporters.

Do people celebrate their 21st birthday or their 21st year 12 months earlier?

Didn't you try this on the crows thread last year or the year before & it was explained to you then.

The whole concept is stupid, doesn't matter what clubs or who does it. Perhaps I should have asked for long service leave at the start of my tenth year!

I'm sure you've got other things on your mind at the minute but Penrith Panthers have just unveiled their jumper to commemorate their 50th year.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby valleys07 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:53 pm

Krak upgraded to the senior list today:

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2 ... r-upgraded

valleys07
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL