Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby norwood8 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:15 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Sammy's on the Marina last night. Overpriced and nothing special.
Not a seafood fan but went for a family Birthday. Table of 12 including 3 kids. Started with bread and Dukkah which was nice enough. Entrees were ordered and most tucked into theirs , brother in law ordered a dozen oysters kilpatrick, after waiting for about 10 minutes after everyone else's entree had arrived he questioned the waiter who then admitted he had stuffed up and forgot to order them so he went without.
Mains started coming out about 40 minutes later despite not being overly busy, adult meals came out before kids and then it got worse. My sons Salt and Pepper Calamari was stone cold and several other meals were barely lukewarm. My meal didn't even come out and once again the waiter admitted his error and my meal had been given to another table and they would prepare me another ASAP. Now I only had Beer battered Whiting and that took another 20 minutes to come out and was basically 3 tiny pieces of whiting and a handful of burn chips, the salad was ok though.
Pretty average night TBH, $35 for fish and chips I could buy for $10 at any take away store. All up with a few beers and bottles of wine it came to over $800 and of course then we were told they couldn't split the bill after being informed when we arrived that we could. Food and service pretty average 2/10

Went here recently with a work group of about 20. Our experience wasn't as bad as this, but probably just middling.

Think it biggest problem is it's not sure what it's trying to be, café-style restaurant or an up-market establishment? Most meals and service were good enough without being great (although a couple of the deserts and entrees received high praise, including the scallops I had). Price-tag definitely the latter.

Wait times for the meals didn't seem too bad and they all came out at the same time.

Drink service wasn't really attentive. Being in a group we were put upstairs, but below didn't seem to be overly busy when we walked through. Plenty of times empty glasses and bottles sat there without being queried. At one stage someone had to go downstairs to get their drinks. I'm not a huge drinker so was just having a couple mid-strengths, thought I'd have one more and out came a warm full-strength - not a huge issue in itself, just indicative of the overall set-up.

5/10

I'd be asking for some serious money off the bill if this was the case. We pay top dollar for very average service in most places these days IMHO.
norwood8
Under 18s

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 95 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby Jim05 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:23 pm

Have to say we have a lot to learn from other Cities when it comes to customer service. Just came back from over a week in Melbourne and ate out 3 meals a day every day. Didn't encounter 1 place that gave poor service or a bad meal, several places along Soutbank offered some of the best restaurants I've eaten at around the world at a price not as bad as you would think. Have found in general that the service has slipped in Adelaide, food quality still not bad but service is generally poor
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Pag » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:44 pm

Had the swiss burger at the Hackney Hotel ('Burgerland') on Saturday night. Beef patty, swiss cheese, mushroom, caramelised onion, rocket, ketchup, mayo, hackney sauce. $19 with fries and a pint of Coopers. Got given an extra beef patty + cheese without asking, huge thing that I couldn't fit in my mouth. Bun fell apart as I went through but was real good. 25% off in the Ent Book too.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby beef » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:10 pm

Pag wrote:Had the swiss burger at the Hackney Hotel ('Burgerland') on Saturday night. Beef patty, swiss cheese, mushroom, caramelised onion, rocket, ketchup, mayo, hackney sauce. $19 with fries and a pint of Coopers. Got given an extra beef patty + cheese without asking, huge thing that I couldn't fit in my mouth. Bun fell apart as I went through but was real good. 25% off in the Ent Book too.

You alive mate, first post in a while and it's about food. Gonna be a heavy B grade with Couzner L Drewett and Paget.
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 255 times

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:15 pm

Hitting up Low and Slow American BBQ on Sunday night for dinner. Expect a review *burp* on Monday.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Q. » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:51 pm

Booney wrote:Hitting up Low and Slow American BBQ on Sunday night for dinner. Expect a review *burp* on Monday.

Oh man. They had their truck at Laneway Festival. Possibly the best pulled pork burger I've eaten. Need to get over to there and dine in.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:57 pm

Q. wrote:
Booney wrote:Hitting up Low and Slow American BBQ on Sunday night for dinner. Expect a review *burp* on Monday.

Oh man. They had their truck at Laneway Festival. Possibly the best pulled pork burger I've eaten. Need to get over to there and dine in.

Bookings only now. You'll need at least 2-3 days lead time to get in, especially over a weekend.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby HH3 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:57 pm

Q. wrote:

One of the owners is part of the Spartans and threw a Super Bowl party for us.

Amazing.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Q. » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:21 pm

Booney wrote:
Q. wrote:

Bookings only now. You'll need at least 2-3 days lead time to get in, especially over a weekend.

They must be making a killing at the moment.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:21 pm

They've been bookings only for quite a while now.....must be doing something right.....
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11840 times
Been liked: 3598 times

Postby Feenix » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:53 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:They've been bookings only for quite a while now.....must be doing something right.....

They definitely are, I need to get back there again soon. So good.
Feenix
Reserves

Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

Postby Pag » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:28 pm

beef wrote:
Pag wrote:Had the swiss burger at the Hackney Hotel ('Burgerland') on Saturday night. Beef patty, swiss cheese, mushroom, caramelised onion, rocket, ketchup, mayo, hackney sauce. $19 with fries and a pint of Coopers. Got given an extra beef patty + cheese without asking, huge thing that I couldn't fit in my mouth. Bun fell apart as I went through but was real good. 25% off in the Ent Book too.

You alive mate, first post in a while and it's about food. Gonna be a heavy B grade with Couzner L Drewett and Paget.

Only just alive mate. Happy to play B Grade now that the previous coach has moved on.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby Psyber » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:57 pm

Very nice food and wine and good service at Chloe's Restaurant in College Park last night.
(All the more enjoyable because it didn't cost me a cent!)
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:00 pm

Highbury hotel.

Went for a friends birthday.

Ordered a chicken Snitty with mushroom sauce. Waited over 10 mins in line because the lady in front of me was picking the menu apart for the slightest trace of nuts. Heres my tip lady...dont order the fecking chicken satay skewers if you cant eat nuts :?

over an hour later i finally get my meal and its a beef snitty. Which tasted like an oily old boot and was as tough as anything.

Veg bar was ordinary. Potato bake tasted raw and the carrots and corn looked and tasted like theyd been sitting there for a week. Stale bread

Only reason they didnt cop what for is because i had to eat and run to shoot off quickly to go pick up my grandmother.

despite having a great kids play area, there were still screaming little shits running around the dining room

2/10 and that's only because their garlic bread was ok.

Absolutely terrible. I hereby vote to blackball this establishment.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby HH3 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:29 pm

Sounds like it should be called the "Lowbury"..... am i right, fellas?
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby FlyingHigh » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:06 am

Not a regular, but been to the HIghbury a few times over the years.
About 20 years ago was a good solid family pub meal, then did itself up and became more fancy and expensive, probably over the top for the suburban-family-type area, now it is owned by Woolies the atmosphere is not much more than a McDonalds restaurant. Went there last time last year, and meal was nice enough but not a special occasion type place.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby gossipgirl » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:38 pm

Been there quite a few times and always had great meals and great place for family as has a good play area for kids. Always fast with meals ang great selection for kids meals. Would highly recommend
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1433 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:00 am

Low and Slow, American BBQ - Next to The Lighthouse, Port Adelaide.

Well, the food was just as expected, finger lickin' good......but, it is on the expensive side of things considering it is "just" a BBQ. ( It is much more than just a BBQ though )

Pulled pork - shredded pieces of piggy goodness, moist, smokey, yum. At $7/100g you could easily knock down 200g

Brisket - Cut about 1cm thick with a delicious peppery rub, this stuff was melt in the mouth gold. The fatty/crispy outer was excellent. Again, $7/100g.

Ribs - 500g half rack is $29, 1kg full rack is $55, now, family Boon shared one of these, a full rack was about 12 ribs. For mine, one hungry carnivore could eat this on their own. So $55 is up there.

Sides - They are served in a small cardboard cup, probably about 2/3 of a measuring cup. Apple Slaw, Mac n Cheese ( Little Miss liked this ), Tots ( Standard Birdseye Tater Tots ), Smokey Beans ( I had these, unfortunately the bedroom this morning had a certain "atmosphere" because of it ).

Junior Boon and I had 100g Pulled Pork, 100g brisket each, he had tots I had beans on the side.

Mrs Boon had 100g brisket and a potato salad side. Little Miss had Mac and Cheese side, we shared a full rack of ribs.

I had a Golden Ale, Junior a Pale, Miss a Cherry Coke and Mrs a Zero. Bill - $127. Yep, $127 and I can't say any of us left thinking how piggy we had been. Was probably about right for a meal, leave thinking I could have had some more.

When we can go to the First Commercial just metres away for 12 specials at $12 each and all walk out stuffed full for around $65 with a drink each it's hard to gauge the Low and Slow experience/value for money.

All in all it was very, very nice, food was really good. Booking are essential, you'll be lucky to get a table if you don't book and racks of ribs are limited, they keep a chalk board up with a summary of what is left for the day. When it takes 18 hours to cook, you cant "whip" something up! :lol:

I'll give it 8/10 and say it's well worth a trip to try it out but it won't be a regular on our dining circuit with that sort of price.

( A hungry bloke I reakon could eat $70 or more of grub, with a beer or two )
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:06 am

Give the Lone Star at Glenelg a crack Booney if you like this sort of food, been a few times and yet to disappoint.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby am Bays » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:52 am

Royal Hotel Torrensville

Quick feed before my 80s nostalgia nite at the Thebby theatre on Sat nite.

Causght up with friends from Alice and we had a the standard pub fare.

Two schnitties between the missus and I, our friends both had the Salmon. Two serves of garlic bread between four

The salmons looked good and well presented no compliants from the interlopers. Schnities were standard and the graveys nice,

Drink each and four mains and we paid $129.

No Ent voucher to get it down.

Good without being great food really nice but tad on the $$$ side.

6/10

Will go back but only if in the area for something else.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion