financial projections

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: financial projections

Postby whufc » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:15 pm

Anyway back to the SANFL clubs.

How are the clubs that are struggling at the moment going to change their situations?

Is there a long term future for them?

Do they need to concerntrate on increasing income, decreasing expenditure or both.

Personally i dont think there is much room for growth in the way of supporter bases, i think that boat has well and truly passed.

Obviously clubs are going to have to look at sourcing income from outside sources. While this can prove to be very profitable as is the case with North Adelaide its also very hit and miss as is the case with Centrals.

Personally i struggle to see much of a future for the SANFL and believe within 5-10 years it will be a an AFL under 23 type feeder comp, with only minimial salary cap etc etc.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby on the rails » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:18 pm

Agree with you Ben unless the league clubs can wrestle back some control of OUR comp and soon.
Piss weak SANFL and the CLOWNS who run it.
on the rails
League - Top 5

Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby Gozu » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:01 am

Glenelg $3 million in debt and might not field a team in 2017

GLENELG Football Club says it may not be able to field a team in 2017 if it does not turn around its dire finances, which include debts of $3 million.

Tigers president Nick Chigwidden has called on fans to turn out in force and support the club, which this week revealed a $208,850 loss for 2015.

Glenelg is battling debts of $2.2 million owed to Holdfast Bay Council and $1 million to ANZ Bank. Chigwidden said the club needed to take “drastic action” to improve its finances.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 0419236dd2
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby Magellan » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:49 am

I'm not keen on funding Rupert Murdoch's wedding to Jerry Hall via a subscription to his rag, so can someone please post the content of that article?
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby UK Fan » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:52 am

Gozu wrote:Glenelg $3 million in debt and might not field a team in 2017

GLENELG Football Club says it may not be able to field a team in 2017 if it does not turn around its dire finances, which include debts of $3 million.

Tigers president Nick Chigwidden has called on fans to turn out in force and support the club, which this week revealed a $208,850 loss for 2015.

Glenelg is battling debts of $2.2 million owed to Holdfast Bay Council and $1 million to ANZ Bank. Chigwidden said the club needed to take “drastic action” to improve its finances.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 0419236dd2

Chiggy you are useless !!! Great job bankrupting and splitting your club apart.

Deadset flog where are all the Chiggy defenders now ??
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby topsywaldron » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:11 pm

Lest we forget.

dedja wrote:Glenelg have had a massive turnaround and will get close to breaking even.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby Magellan » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:08 pm

For those interested (like me), here's the text of the article, which I was somehow able to access without paying NewsCorp.

Asked if the Tigers would struggle to field a team in 2017 if the situation did not improve, Chigwidden said: “It’s a bit of a what-if ... but the worst-case scenario, you’d say yes.

“Will it get to that? I certainly hope not and wouldn’t think so. But you’ve got to look at reality. If you don’t get revenues in and control things properly ... your creditors will only support you so long. We’re in a very tight position, we’ll be the first to say that, and we’re working through it. Ultimately, we’ve got to get rid of our debt and then we’ll be fine.”

Glenelg’s football operations recorded a $275,803 loss last season, while its off-field activities, including hospitality, made a $66,953 profit.

Chigwidden said the club’s on-field struggles, which included wooden spoons in 2013 and 2014 and a ninth-placed finish last year, had hurt its membership numbers. Home attendances were down about four per cent last year, from a total of 33,211 in 2014 to 31,982.

Chigwidden said the Tigers spent heavily on promotion, marketing and wages in rebranding its venue, the Glenelg Club, to appeal to the wider community.

That led to a spike in patronage and a $374,000 increase in bar and kitchen takings from the previous year.

“Are the doors going to shut next week? No,” Chigwidden said. “But if we don’t address these issues going forward, it’s always going to be a possibility.

“We don’t want to be in that situation. We want to make sure the club is financially stable, sustainable and can reinvest more in the community.

“I’m hoping in 12 months’ time we’re sitting here in a lot better position but I don’t think we will be unless we get people behind us, helping us.”

Chigwidden, a former Tigers captain, said the club’s financial plans included:

IMPLEMENTING a debt demolition strategy.

OPERATING its dining venue more efficiently.

CONVERTING more supporters into members.

CUTTING back the club’s opening hours from 8am-2am to 9am to midnight.

Glenelg will receive $125,000 from the SANFL in October as part of the first instalment of payments from the sale of Football Park, which it will use to reduce debt.

The Tigers will receive $2 million from the sale of Football Park over seven seasons.

New Glenelg chief executive Glenn Elliott denied media reports the club was on the brink of insolvency, saying it was “tracking very well” on revised budgets.

Chigwidden said the club would cut football department costs — possibly in junior development — but would not compromise its chances of success at league level.

“Our No. 1 priority from a football side of things is to win games of football — our members have been starved of that in recent years. We want to keep building those juniors up and they’ve been fantastic for us but can we maintain them at the levels we have been?”

He said the club did not sugar-coat the financial battle it was facing to members at this week’s annual general meeting. Glenelg officials will outline its financial plan to the council next month.

“That $2 million (owed) to the council, we’ve got to work with them and look at strategies to hopefully find some way they can support us with it,” Chigwidden said. He was “very comfortable” the club could make a profit in 2016.

“Glenelg has never really put its hand out to members and the supporter base, asking them to help us,” he said. “We’re a proud club but we absolutely need the support.

“These are tough times but times we can come out of in a lot better position, I’ve got no doubt about that.”
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:19 pm

Glenelg $3million in debt and a whole heap of shit to going down.
Not only hasn't its earned the right to its own thread, it has only provoked 4 replies in the heartland of SANFL blogs at 5pm the day it's made back page headlines of the advertiser.
SANFL starting to flatline IMO. Glenelg is a pretty large chunk of SANFL culture. That the advertiser is showing more concern (A great news item for followers of AFL who can now pat themselves on the back because they know SOMETHING current in SANFL news) than those of us who genuinely give (gave?!!) a shit is a pretty obvious symptom of imminent decline.
Apathy? She'll be right mate? Who gives a ****? For what reason is there so little talk on this?
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Magellan » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:25 pm

I'm interested to know what the SANFL's view is on Glenelg's financial position and the possibility they mightn't field a side next season.
Magellan
Coach

Postby Bounce of the ball » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:32 pm

therisingblues wrote:Glenelg $3million in debt and a whole heap of shit to going down.
Not only hasn't its earned the right to its own thread, it has only provoked 4 replies in the heartland of SANFL blogs at 5pm the day it's made back page headlines of the advertiser.
SANFL starting to flatline IMO. Glenelg is a pretty large chunk of SANFL culture. That the advertiser is showing more concern (A great news item for followers of AFL who can now pat themselves on the back because they know SOMETHING current in SANFL news) than those of us who genuinely give (gave?!!) a shit is a pretty obvious symptom of imminent decline.
Apathy? She'll be right mate? Who gives a ****? For what reason is there so little talk on this?

Because they generally only post when they are winning . Not sure why when a club is in debt people see that as the end of the SANFL. If that was the case the AFL would be dead and dead years ago.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby Magellan » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:33 pm

therisingblues wrote:Glenelg $3million in debt and a whole heap of shit to going down.

I'd like to say it's too early in the year for people to start giving a stuff about footy, but I don't think that's the case. On the other hand, maybe everyone's out and about or playing sport. ;)

Perhaps the proposed Footy Park dole outs have anesthetized those closer to the clubs in the sense that they know they can rely on a regular payout to cut debt. As for the rank and file out there in footyland, I dunno. There's definitely a sense of apathy, perhaps it's now all too hard for the true believers to give a sh!t. Maybe there's a perception now that we can't continue to hold back the tide of the AFL's influence, and it's simply easier to succumb.
Magellan
Coach

Postby Spargo » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:25 pm

I'm praying for a rich benefactor to get us out the shit, like it is rumoured to have happened elsewhere therisingblues ;)
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5478 times
Been liked: 5119 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby therisingblues » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:32 pm

Spargo wrote:

I'm praying for a rich benefactor to get us out the shit, like it is rumoured to have happened elsewhere therisingblues ;)

GlenelgPeter? ;)
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:45 pm

Magellan wrote:

I'd like to say it's too early in the year for people to start giving a stuff about footy, but I don't think that's the case. On the other hand, maybe everyone's out and about or playing sport. ;)

Perhaps the proposed Footy Park dole outs have anesthetized those closer to the clubs in the sense that they know they can rely on a regular payout to cut debt. As for the rank and file out there in footyland, I dunno. There's definitely a sense of apathy, perhaps it's now all too hard for the true believers to give a sh!t. Maybe there's a perception now that we can't continue to hold back the tide of the AFL's influence, and it's simply easier to succumb.

This is sort of what I was thinking.
Like penguins in the zoo, we don't need real ice when they've painted pictures of it on our enclosures. I feel like we are being normalised into believing that the system will take care of us all, and when the AFL finally takes over our comp, it will be kept alive purely as a reserves run-around for the Power and Crows. This board is a definite barometer of SANFL passion, and it feels pretty low. I reckon I am feeling it myself, after my club going to the wall a couple of times, North, and numerous other clubs almost going under, it is almost like "not again... don't worry they'll get bailed out".
Maybe we'll see more of a heartbeat in the coming days about this issue.
My other worry is that if we (SANFL clubs) require constant bailing out, it would make it easier for the AFL to eventually take over the competition, and then set up an even more artificial/contrived environment to tune up those valuable AFL seconds waiting for their big break on the national stage.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:49 pm

Bounce of the ball wrote:

Because they generally only post when they are winning . Not sure why when a club is in debt people see that as the end of the SANFL. If that was the case the AFL would be dead and dead years ago.

Not so much the club being in debt, but the deafening silence that has greeted the news.
I don't mean to harp on about it, but I find the lack of passion more of a worry than the lack of cash.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby southee » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:28 pm

therisingblues wrote:
Bounce of the ball wrote:

Not so much the club being in debt, but the deafening silence that has greeted the news.
I don't mean to harp on about it, but I find the lack of passion more of a worry than the lack of cash.

Yep. Don't think I can even hear a heartbeat.

Thought the supporters group (like South did in 1988/89) rally up the troops and get something together.

I'll see in a few weeks if something happens.
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

Postby Sojourner » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:58 pm

Glenelg lost people with the appalling way that they chose to treat their members with the refusal to allow them any say in the vote on admitting the AFC to the SANFL, it would be fair to say the GFC had the worst 'consultation' of any of the clubs and members were openly treated with contempt. - The same group of members the board needs to step in and save the club.

As a group members of all the SANFL clubs that are willing should consider stepping up to save the club like we did at South, yet it would be nice to be treated with respect and not as a group of sheep that are peripheral to the club.
Steamranger, South Australia's best ever Tourist Attraction, Treat Yourself, Let your Money Buy you Happiness!!!
Sojourner
Veteran

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby RB » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:03 pm

Sojourner wrote:Glenelg lost people with the appalling way that they chose to treat their members with the refusal to allow them any say in the vote on admitting the AFC to the SANFL, it would be fair to say the GFC had the worst 'consultation' of any of the clubs and members were openly treated with contempt.

That's a big call. I'm not sure that the 'consultation' at the Palindromes could have been worse than at the Eagles, or, by all accounts, North Adelaide.

Honest Joe was very competitive as well, unless you consider lying to the faces of your members 'consultation', which I don't.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 765 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby Spargo » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:03 pm

Sojourner wrote:Glenelg lost people with the appalling way that they chose to treat their members with the refusal to allow them any say in the vote on admitting the AFC to the SANFL, it would be fair to say the GFC had the worst 'consultation' of any of the clubs and members were openly treated with contempt. - The same group of members the board needs to step in and save the club.

As a group members of all the SANFL clubs that are willing should consider stepping up to save the club like we did at South, yet it would be nice to be treated with respect and not as a group of sheep that are peripheral to the club.

Excellent post.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5478 times
Been liked: 5119 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby UK Fan » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:05 pm

Sojourner wrote:Glenelg lost people with the appalling way that they chose to treat their members with the refusal to allow them any say in the vote on admitting the AFC to the SANFL, it would be fair to say the GFC had the worst 'consultation' of any of the clubs and members were openly treated with contempt. - The same group of members the board needs to step in and save the club.

At least they correctly told their members how the club intended to vote at the "consultation" evening.

Unlike Norwood
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL