HFL Division 1 (Central)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Division 1 (Central)

Postby wazzal77 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:36 pm

Alaska wrote:As you have started it I will continue:

I believe you are underestimating the significance of the Sutherland loss at Uraidla and could see them tumble out of the 5.
Has Echunga appointed a new coach? I suspect they are in trouble with coach and players.
I heard that Miles is out for this year as well so Lofty would need some good recruits
It sounds that Hahndorf have added some good quality recruits and should be hard to beat this year.

big call re Uraidla... but a good observation. But I wonder how much Sutherland actually coached this past year...(Im not underestimating his influence - he has proven to be a terrific coach) - I think he did such a good job in prior years the team could actually coach themselves for most of the game. hence why I dont think his departure will result in a quick demise, he has built a terrific foundation. It may be noticeable in seasons to come though...Hahndorf appear to have added some more and yep appear will be strong contenders. If they back it up this year with another stellar performance (and a flag?) then they look like being another potential uraidla for a few years to come. But a few injuries will be telling, as it is for any team..
wazzal77
Rookie

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 23 times

Postby footytragic001971 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:41 pm

good observations.
Uraidla will be an excellent study, and I have no doubt that scott Sutherland was a significant influence, so we shall see if a new coach benefits from the remnants.

no doubt that injuries will play a part. few clubs can afford injuries to there best players.
footytragic001971
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 10 times

Postby batmanbegins » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:57 pm

Bit early to do a complete review of each team as not all the clearances are through but I'll give a ladder prediction;

Hahndorf- Hard to go past the reigning premiers, have added matsen, Nick Hankin and Wyld. Matsen in particular should be a star and there midfield depth is quite incredible with the likes of Paul, Tripodi, male brothers, Hankin brothers and a few others. I believe Jaryn Male and Sam Hayden are down at a SANFL club so they may be losses but they have a lot of depth and size all round the ground. They have 3 quality ruckman, best forward and one of the best backman in the competition to back up their quality middle.
Mt Barker- Form team of the comp in the second half of the year last year. Showed the difference that injuries make as once they got a full side they were smashing everyone. Lost the A-Z brothers and a couple of other solid players but a few players like James Hughes, Brooks, Higgs and lores who all had injury hit seasons last year should be good to go from round 1. If pope is able to come back at some stage this year it could make them the team to beat.
Lobethal- Don't appear to have changed much, lost Schild and Williams who were ok A graders but not going to hurt them to much. I was big on them last year but they had a disappointing season where they were very inconsistent. There best is very good as shown by the fact they smoked uraidla twice but then they lost to Onkas and Ironbank. There main issue is the bottom half of their side who can be let them down at time as there top dozen are all class led by the Jenkins, Baust and wills.
Uraidla- New coach will be interesting to see and whether a few have retired will also be interesting but they will be up there again as there just very good. Ebert is a nice in but to be honest they need pace not more inside players as shown in the past few GF's. Having Thomas and Tudor-sourtos all year round will be nice as they are all class and we know how good Delvins and Ivens are but I just think they may slip a bit unless they get some more outside runners.
Blackwood- Picked up Anderson and Djksman who will be very handy. They have missed the finals for a few years now which would annoy them but I think they will be back in this year. The two Westies recruits last year were very handy and add the two new ones this year and they will take another step forward. Atkinson will be a good in all year round and they have the best depth in the comp assuming none of the key players get injured, which no team can deal with. The loss of dundovic may hurt but personally I thought they were very one Dimensional with him.
TV- Probably should be higher with all their talent but having seen them last year I just found them to be a bit lazy and didn't really like it when it got hard as shown in the finals. Montgomery is a huge loss as he is all class and obviously the Ellis boys are gone but that is for the best to stop the infighting. Ex captain Thompson returns and he adds some defensive pressure, Ex Junior Walkley is an underrated pickup also and they have picked up ex tailem Bend ruckman Thursby. O'Sullivan and Boras will dominate again and Giadresco is very good but I think they may miss the finals.
Ironbank- Bit Biased as most people may have us lower but have picked up Yeomans, Wendleborn, Munn, Searle, Harradine, Pitson and Ottoway. Lost Hitchcock and De visser who will be missed obviously but not as much as others think (We were better the year before without them and only Motlop as a big name). An underrated loss is keeley who was very good down back last year. Played almost 50 players last year due to a horror run with injury and assuming everyone is fit we will be much better as we were 5 and 5 before collapsing after an embarrassing loss to Mt Lofty. Still lack size and probably depth to beat the other teams however but certainly not easy beats.
Echunga- Huge losses in Harland, Cranna, Liston and Lindsay. The loss of Cranna is huge as he was there only ruckman and obviously a very good one at that. Don't appear to have recruited much and don't have much depth in the B grade to offset the losses. Still have plenty of good players like Jennings, Guy, Maslin, Edwards and Fleet but they don't have much size at all now Aish may have to kick 80 goals for them to be in the 5. To much will be left too to few this year unless they gain some players soon.
Onkas- Picked up a few handy players like O'brien who should do alright. Personally I think there best recruit is the return of Damien green from injury as they missed him massively last year. I can't see them moving up the ladder to much even with their recruits as they were a long way behind the pack last year. There midfield will have improved as they were far to slow in their last year but Still lack some class in my opinion.
Mt Lofty- picked up a couple of OK players and young Radbone returning is very handy. Also the return of O'brien will be good as he is a tackling maching but unless Miles returns soon they will struggle. Lucky for them they play us in round 1 and considering that was their only wins last year they would be expecting a good start to the year. Will be competitive as they always are and Burch, Nielsen, van Paridon and Clements will be very good but they are relied on heavily. Unfortunately I can see another long year ahead for the Devs.

Can't wait to see how wrong I am this year :)
batmanbegins
Reserves

Been liked: 187 times

Postby Yellow & Black » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:04 am

Well put Batman, Unfortunately I agree and am also tipping Barker & Hahndorf to play off in the big dance (depending on injuries). GF day will become pretty boring in the future unless you're from Barker, Hahndorf or Blackwood who'll dominate the day.

Injuries play a big part at the pointy end. Hahndorf were up and about at the right time last year. My Tigers limped into finals again, if they can stay out of injury trouble, the young group (most still under 25) will continue to develop and give it a shake. We have a couple outs but also a few returning from injury and travel etc which will bolster depth.
Yellow & Black

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby footytragic001971 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:42 am

You are spot on y&b. Injuries are inevitable, but of course it also depends on who they are to and how many.
The teams that stood out come finals time had a good run at the right time.
Momentum is everything at the pointy end!

Good summary batman! You provide good insight to the comings and goings. Looking forward to the start of the season.
footytragic001971
Rookie

Postby The Cloak » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:09 pm

Yellow & Black wrote:Well put Batman, Unfortunately I agree and am also tipping Barker & Hahndorf to play off in the big dance (depending on injuries). GF day will become pretty boring in the future unless you're from Barker, Hahndorf or Blackwood who'll dominate the day.

Injuries play a big part at the pointy end. Hahndorf were up and about at the right time last year. My Tigers limped into finals again, if they can stay out of injury trouble, the young group (most still under 25) will continue to develop and give it a shake. We have a couple outs but also a few returning from injury and travel etc which will bolster depth.

Interested in the thoughts of the Hahndorf supporters what the chances are of their 2 colts sides playing off against each other in a GF ?
The Cloak
Mini-League

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Coober Pedy

Postby wazzal77 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:52 pm

The Cloak wrote:
Yellow & Black wrote:Well put Batman, Unfortunately I agree and am also tipping Barker & Hahndorf to play off in the big dance (depending on injuries). GF day will become pretty boring in the future unless you're from Barker, Hahndorf or Blackwood who'll dominate the day.

Interested in the thoughts of the Hahndorf supporters what the chances are of their 2 colts sides playing off against each other in a GF ?

Gee, not sure that would go down very well?! My understanding of the way they structured their colts was the first year colts players played in their 2nd side and the 2nd year players played in their first side. If that is the case I think the chances would be very slim. I would think their second sides wouldnt be all that competitive in Div 1 judging by the fact they finished outside the 5 in Div 2 last year.
wazzal77
Rookie

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 23 times

Postby chopper7 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:35 pm

From reports both Delvins and Ricky Ebert will miss chunks of the year through work and Luke Thomas isn't playing at all. That's 3 huge players not available for Uris. I'll be very interested to see what side lines up against Lobethal come round 1.
Good to see some talk on here finally, interesting to see Onkas playing 4 trail games this year. By the time we play them in round 3 they will be up to their 7 game of the year.

Barker big movers for me this year
chopper7
Under 16s

Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby cracka » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:10 am

wazzal77 wrote:Re Hahndorf extra players playing with TVFC, I think its a great idea. Both clubs benefit and so too the Div 1 Comp. Would you really want to relegate a Club because of jnr numbers when there are alternatives like this ? If Div 1 relegated clubs for not enough jnrs would this not place 3 of the 5 finalists in last years A Grade finals (Uraidla, Torrens Valley and Echunga) in danger of relegation? If these clubs are proactive in trying to getting jnrs and coming up with out of the box solutions to fill teams then surely thats a good thing for football, which should be the ultimate goal. I wonder if Mt Lofty and Blackwood who normally have lots of juniors are also looking to do the same thing as HFC and TVFC? If so that would be great for footy as well.

If a div 1 club needs help with junior numbers should they be in div 1. Its no coincidence that the 3 club's you mentioned are all rumoured to be the big spenders on their A grade. Credit to Echunga though as they offered free subs to their juniors in an effort to improve their numbers (which they did) & ended up being a lot more competitive in the junior grades.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby cracka » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:16 am

chopper7 wrote:From reports both Delvins and Ricky Ebert will miss chunks of the year through work and Luke Thomas isn't playing at all. That's 3 huge players not available for Uris. I'll be very interested to see what side lines up against Lobethal come round 1.
Good to see some talk on here finally, interesting to see Onkas playing 4 trail games this year. By the time we play them in round 3 they will be up to their 7 game of the year.

Barker big movers for me this year

Does seem a lot. Be interesting to see if we start the season flying & then maybe fall away from too much footy.
cracka
Veteran

Postby cracka » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:21 am

Afterthesiren wrote:Heard Onka Valley have signed Jordan Wilson-King from Tanunda (also a Crows top up player).

Is this 100%, haven't seen a clearance yet.
cracka
Veteran

Postby footytragic001971 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:17 am

what is the optimum number for trials then??
footytragic001971
Rookie

Postby Alaska » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:24 am

Two to three I would have thought depending upon coaching changes (and cricket finals).
2017 and 2018 NFL Fantasy Champion
Alaska
League - Best 21

Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 64 times

Postby footytragic001971 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:19 am

I cant speak for the onkas coach, but seeing he is new he may be looking for as much footy as possible to bed down their new game style.
it may also be the case that he has lots of unavailability's in his list and he needs that many trials to get enough game time into all of them.
or they may just have four games for the fun of it.
footytragic001971
Rookie

Postby Alaska » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:52 am

If he is not careful, what he will get is apathy and only 25 out for two senior games.
2017 and 2018 NFL Fantasy Champion
Alaska
League - Best 21

Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 64 times

Postby 2old2slow » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:33 pm

the bigger picture maybe with so many trials and if he sees out the whole year he maybe onkas longest serving coach!
2old2slow
Rookie

Been liked: 6 times

Postby cracka » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:35 pm

2old2slow wrote:the bigger picture maybe with so many trials and if he sees out the whole year he maybe onkas longest serving coach!

Oi, behave. :D
cracka
Veteran

Postby footytragic001971 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:13 pm

Early I know, but any tips for Mail Medal and Leading goal kickers at each club?
footytragic001971
Rookie

Postby chopper7 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:02 pm

footytragic001971 wrote:Early I know, but any tips for Mail Medal and Leading goal kickers at each club?

Hourigan Leading goal kicker for me
Jesse Aish for the Mail Medal from Scott Paul
chopper7
Under 16s

Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby the wonder elephant » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:01 pm

Batman whats going on with motlop is he staying around ?
the wonder elephant
League - Best 21

Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy