Surely tha SANFL is not wavering on new rule change

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Surely tha SANFL is not wavering on new rule change

Postby topsywaldron » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:47 pm

JK wrote:but the vast part of it was due to a God awful style of football. Norwood's plan became more dour around 2012, but last year reached an appallingly low level that I pray never gets repeated

But still better than under Trevor Hill?
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby JK » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:52 pm

topsywaldron wrote:
JK wrote:but the vast part of it was due to a God awful style of football. Norwood's plan became more dour around 2012, but last year reached an appallingly low level that I pray never gets repeated

But still better than under Trevor Hill?

Thats like comparing a tooth being pulled to a fingernail ripped out. Both hurt in their own way.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby VALE PARK » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:20 pm

Ken Farmer from North Adelaide would have kicked 17 goals by 3/4 time in some games.
I reckon the crowd loved it.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Hazydog » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:23 pm

cracka wrote:
Hazydog wrote:I'm not one to generally support rule changes either - although I welcome capping interchanges with open arms. Willing to have a look at how the out of bonds rule goes.

I'm more staggered at the directive to U-18 coaches. "It comes as the league issues a directive to under-18 coaches to play with new parameters this season including keeping five forwards in the front half of the ground at stoppages, two in the forward 50m, banning tagging or run-with roles as well as the rolling zone and the press."

Good luck adjudicating on some of those facets!! Lunatics running the asylum with those changes.

That was trialled at last years U18 carnival & from reports was very successful. At stoppages players would spread to traditional positions rather than gather around the ball causing the rolling maul we see nowadays

I'm sure it was very successful from an AFL Recruiters perspective - much easier to judge players abilities/strengths/weaknesses playing one on one. Not sure I'm happy if I'm a SANFL League coach who has decreed his U-18's play the same game plan as the League and Reserves, so that they can integrate more easily as they progress up the grades. But again - it's all about what's better for the AFL isn't it?
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby whufc » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:25 pm

What I loved most about the nineties and early bough ties was that ever club had their own style the tried to implement

The 02 Sturt vs Centrals gf was a classic of that

These days everyone just plays follow the leader and try and copy the same style the top side is playing

Eventually some one will work it out and then everyone will move on to following that style of footy
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5586 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Booney » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:27 pm

VALE PARK wrote:Ken Farmer from North Adelaide would have kicked 17 goals by 3/4 time in some games.
I reckon the crowd loved it.

They also loved the cream on the top of the milk delivered to the classroom every morning.

So what?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby JK » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:29 pm

VALE PARK wrote:Ken Farmer from North Adelaide would have kicked 17 goals by 3/4 time in some games.

Only on his off days
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Magellan » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:37 pm

JK wrote:

Only on his off days

And after he started on the bench!
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby saintal » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:41 pm

South Adelaide games last year were in the main pretty average/boring to watch, as were a lot of other games I watched on C7. The combined score in their matches was just 131 points and only once did South or their opponent kick over 100 points (Power Reserves in Rnd 2). Hardly the sort of footy that will have the casual fans flocking to matches.

I'm not sure if this new rule will have any impact on the style of footy being played, but it might be worth a trial.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Booney » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:46 pm

In all reality if you have no interest in the SANFL right now the fact teams might kick 3 or 4 more goals per game each is not going to get you through the gate.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby am Bays » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:31 pm

Booney wrote:So fatigue creates less stoppages? I'd agree with that, numbers seem to back that up. So less rotations, less breaks in play, players become more fatigued.

Can't wait to watch the last half of matches where players are instructed to play keepies-off because they're rooted* and can't run to space. That'll bring people through the gates. If you're 4 goals down with 20 minutes to go in the last quarter, might be hard to mount a comeback if your players are flat footed.

@am bays, what sort of injuries are aligned with fatigue? Hammys? Groins?

Generally concussion.

if you get fatigued and can't catch someone, you belt them and that slows the down so you can get the pill.

Certainly slowed Matty Simpson down in the 1991 GF....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1807 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:58 pm

cracka wrote:
Hazydog wrote:I'm not one to generally support rule changes either - although I welcome capping interchanges with open arms. Willing to have a look at how the out of bonds rule goes.

I'm more staggered at the directive to U-18 coaches. "It comes as the league issues a directive to under-18 coaches to play with new parameters this season including keeping five forwards in the front half of the ground at stoppages, two in the forward 50m, banning tagging or run-with roles as well as the rolling zone and the press."

Good luck adjudicating on some of those facets!! Lunatics running the asylum with those changes.

That was trialled at last years U18 carnival & from reports was very successful. At stoppages players would spread to traditional positions rather than gather around the ball causing the rolling maul we see nowadays

Would much rather them change an out of bounds rule than implement something like this
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby saintal » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:20 pm

Booney wrote:In all reality if you have no interest in the SANFL right now the fact teams might kick 3 or 4 more goals per game each is not going to get you through the gate.

Correct.

But if you have some interest and go to a few games a year a better spectacle may persuade you to become a more regular patron. Maybe. Whatever the case the game in its current state can be chore to watch.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby cracka » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:23 pm

bennymacca wrote:
cracka wrote:

Would much rather them change an out of bounds rule than implement something like this

The game is getting more like soccer nowadays with the ball mainly going back & forth between each teams half forward lines. I'd prefer more of the traditional style one on one's, big power forwards, dirty full backmen trying to stop them, followers resting in the pockets, F all interchanges & high scoring games. Unfortunately they could bring in 10 new rules which could make it happen, then the coaches & players would try & find ways to negate that style.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby bennymacca » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:26 pm

can you imagine someone going for a lead and just about to take a mark and then being called for being out of the zone?

You want it being less like soccer, well that would basically be the off-side rule :D
bennymacca
Coach

Postby cracka » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:30 pm

bennymacca wrote:can you imagine someone going for a lead and just about to take a mark and then being called for being out of the zone?

You want it being less like soccer, well that would basically be the off-side rule :D

They only have to be in the zone at stoppages, not in general play.
cracka
Veteran

Postby bennymacca » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:36 pm

Ah ok.

So its more like when i used to umpire U10s, and if they started crowding around the ball you would stop the game and tell them to spread out :D
bennymacca
Coach

Postby cracka » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:37 pm

bennymacca wrote:Ah ok.

So its more like when i used to umpire U10s, and if they started crowding around the ball you would stop the game and tell them to spread out :D

Yeah. :D
cracka
Veteran

Postby VALE PARK » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:54 pm

I do get the feeling now the SANFL are about to renig on the out of bounds rule for 2016.
They do appear to struggle with firm decision making on their patch.
I guess we will continue to get minimal goals in the SANFL.
Boring,boring,low scoring games.
An opportunity wasted.
Crowds will continue their decline.
Rome burns!
Last edited by VALE PARK on Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby FlyingHigh » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:03 pm

Nothing wrong with a 8 goal to 9 slugfest on a mudpatch in the middle of winter, which can be uniquely entertaining. Plenty wrong with it on the dry surfaces in autumn and spring.

One rule change I think they could trial is not to allow anyone else in the centre square bounce until the ball has been cleared of the square. Might make for less secondary-bounces and more attacking mindset and clearances like we used to see. Not 100% convinced it'll work, but worth a try.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL