Aust tour squad v NZ announced - Sayers in.

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Aust tour squad v NZ announced - Sayers in.

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:38 am

Dogwatcher wrote:Interesting to note that Southee and Boult again failed against Australia.

Still reckon they are too nice and not aggressive enough. Name the last team that beat Australia and played the "Gentlemans Way". As I've said before nice guys v Australia always finish last!
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 740 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:41 am

Dogwatcher wrote:Interesting to note that Southee and Boult again failed against Australia.

No plan B. If they can't get it bending early they've got no patience to keep hitting short of a length, grinding a batsman down and no other weapons at their disposal.

Think two Jackson Birds running in at you on a flat track doing very little. Hardly going to have you worried.

Also hurts them not having a top class spinner to run through 15 overs at one end and let them fly in from the other.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:52 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:

Still reckon they are too nice and not aggressive enough. Name the last team that beat Australia and played the "Gentlemans Way". As I've said before nice guys v Australia always finish last!

TBH, nice guys in any sport rarely win.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:58 am

Dogwatcher wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:

TBH, nice guys in any sport rarely win.

Tiger Woods....oh, umm...Lance Armstrong....oh...umm.....

Roger Federer might be a better example!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby batmanbegins » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:04 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:I still think this side is far better balanced and in a better head space than the squad that went to England. I think England's results abroad v South Africa are a bit hard to judge as the Saffers are quarter of the side they were 2 years ago and I would strongly argue NZ on current Test form leading up to this series a far better team.

I disagree but anyways we will see when you guys play SA here next summer. I can't see how the Kiwis are better than SA, SA still have De villers, Amla, Morkel and when fit styen which would destroy the kiwis as they have always done. I just don't think any team in world cricket is very good at the minute. There is a few ok teams and that's about it. Once i see the Aussies do it against India over there, England away, SA here and away and even the Pakis here then I will believe there a very good side. Same with England they haven't done much yet and got lucky SA didn't have steyn and Philander playing.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times

Postby Grahaml » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:17 pm

Southee was always just a handy sidekick. Boult was the real spearhead. But he's lost a bit of pace and whenever anyone loses a major weapon as a bowler it makes them far, far less potent.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby Grahaml » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:18 pm

batmanbegins wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:I still think this side is far better balanced and in a better head space than the squad that went to England. I think England's results abroad v South Africa are a bit hard to judge as the Saffers are quarter of the side they were 2 years ago and I would strongly argue NZ on current Test form leading up to this series a far better team.

I disagree but anyways we will see when you guys play SA here next summer. I can't see how the Kiwis are better than SA, SA still have De villers, Amla, Morkel and when fit styen which would destroy the kiwis as they have always done. I just don't think any team in world cricket is very good at the minute. There is a few ok teams and that's about it. Once i see the Aussies do it against India over there, England away, SA here and away and even the Pakis here then I will believe there a very good side. Same with England they haven't done much yet and got lucky SA didn't have steyn and Philander playing.

So, trivia time. Which sides have beaten India in India, England in England, SA in SA and Pakistan away? Add Aus in Aus for those particular countries if you like.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:25 pm

What sort of a time frame you talking, Graham?
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby batmanbegins » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:26 pm

Grahaml wrote:
batmanbegins wrote:

So, trivia time. Which sides have beaten India in India, England in England, SA in SA and Pakistan away? Add Aus in Aus for those particular countries if you like.

The great aussie side of the late 90s and early 2000s. The windies would of gone close but obviosuly didnt get to play SA. Very hard to beat them all.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:27 pm

We only won once in India during that reign, didn't we?
And Gilchrist captained part, if not all, of the series.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:59 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:We only won once in India during that reign, didn't we?

That was 2004, we won the 4 match series 2-1.

Gilchrist captained the first 3 matches.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10328 times
Been liked: 1519 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Grahaml » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:31 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:What sort of a time frame you talking, Graham?

Wasn't supposed to be taken that seriously. Was more making the point that it's a crazy hard thing to do. To expect any side to do that before calling them very good is silly.

But I would say to qualify, you'd need to have won against every nation away at the most recent occurence without losing a series at home in the meantime without a crazy long gap so maybe max 5 years, give or take. Aussies did it 01-04/05. WI didn't in their big era. Perhaps ironically, they didn't beat NZ in NZ until 94/95 by which time they'd drawn their last series in Pakistan, England and last 2 in India (as well as a one off test in Sri Lanka). The next series they played, they lost at home against Australia.

Not many sides batman wants to talk about perhaps being very good.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:35 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:We only won once in India during that reign, didn't we?

That was 2004, we won the 4 match series 2-1.

Gilchrist captained the first 3 matches.

Correct. So we've won one series in 47 years there, as that series victory was after a gap of 35 years.
That's a period where we were the dominant side in the 70s, plus our very good units through the Taylor/Waugh and Ponting eras.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Sharksta » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:31 pm

Siddle stress fractures in his back. I can't help but question the theories that have been implemented by the sports science fraternity. Despite the analysing of techniques & workload etc the problem seems to be worsening
Sharksta
Rookie

Has liked: 478 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:38 pm

Sharksta wrote:Siddle stress fractures in his back. I can't help but question the theories that have been implemented by the sports science fraternity. Despite the analysing of techniques & workload etc the problem seems to be worsening

Yeah that's shithouse for Sids :(
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10328 times
Been liked: 1519 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby bennymacca » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:46 pm

That's likely career over. Will be nearly 32 apparently by the time he is due to return.

208 wickets in 61 tests, that's a good career by anyone's standards
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:33 pm

Even if it had been a minor injury, I was thinking Bird's performance meant it was all over for Sids.
Sad end. I've been a big fan. Work horse.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:50 pm

Sharksta wrote:Siddle stress fractures in his back. I can't help but question the theories that have been implemented by the sports science fraternity. Despite the analysing of techniques & workload etc the problem seems to be worsening

A lot more cricket is being played on harder pitches these days and the end result is crippling injuries to those who hit the wicket hard.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 447 times
Been liked: 1209 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby whufc » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:12 am

Dogwatcher wrote:Even if it had been a minor injury, I was thinking Bird's performance meant it was all over for Sids.
Sad end. I've been a big fan. Work horse.

I'm not his biggest fan but he undoubtedly made the most out of limited ability imho

Was a workhorse that would have been respected highly by his teammates

Was always class of the park as well

A lot of sportsmen around the world could take a look at how sids conducted himself both on and off the field
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5586 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:35 am

batmanbegins wrote:
The great aussie side of the late 90s and early 2000s. The windies would of gone close but obviosuly didnt get to play SA. Very hard to beat them all.

The Windies at their peak would've would've conquered all since.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket