Things that make you sad.

Anything!

Re: Things that make you sad.

Postby Gozu » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:21 pm

Best wishes for your dad TDK and condolences Wedgie in what must be a very tough time.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:30 pm

Mum and my sister went and saw him this afternoon and they said he was 1000 times better than yesterday so that's great news.

It's so shit because he's only 61 and it's hit him so quickly without any notice.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10299 times
Been liked: 1517 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby bennymacca » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:26 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:Mum and my sister went and saw him this afternoon and they said he was 1000 times better than yesterday so that's great news.

It's so shit because he's only 61 and it's hit him so quickly without any notice.

My mother in law was diagnosed about 5 years ago, and passed away within 8 weeks of the diagnosis. Lung Cancer, despite never smoking (though probably passively smoked a lot)

After seeing her in the last few weeks I wouldnt wish it on anyone. All I can say is that I hope your old man either makes a good recovery, or it takes him quickly. Even 8 weeks was way too long.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby The Dark Knight » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:32 pm

bennymacca wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:Mum and my sister went and saw him this afternoon and they said he was 1000 times better than yesterday so that's great news.

My mother in law was diagnosed about 5 years ago, and passed away within 8 weeks of the diagnosis. Lung Cancer, despite never smoking (though probably passively smoked a lot)

After seeing her in the last few weeks I wouldnt wish it on anyone. All I can say is that I hope your old man either makes a good recovery, or it takes him quickly. Even 8 weeks was way too long.

Wow that's horrible.

Their first prognosis after they found it was stage 4 was 6-12 months. We'll wait and see how it goes.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby tipper » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:47 am

bennymacca wrote:

very similar story with my mother inlaw actually (lung cancer too for a non smoker). was 4 years ago now, and while she lasted longer than 8 weeks (4 or 5 months from memory), she seemed "ok" (whatever that is) for most of it, the decline at the end wasnt good to see. (and that coming from someone who didnt really get along with her)

she hung on though for the birth of her youngest daughters first child (our nephew). he was born in the hospital where she was in respite care, so they got to spend a lot of time together in the two weeks they "overlapped". missed out on meeting our boy by a few weeks though, but you cant have everything sadly.

**** cancer
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:44 pm

My Grandmother lasted 10 years. She died in 1998 Apparently her final days weren't fantastic either. The last time I saw her before she died was 5 years before and she wasn't good then, attached to an oxygen cylinder and wheelchair bound. She was a tough ol' bat.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:23 pm

Both my parents went via cancer and related diseases.

My mum lasted 5 weeks from her diagnosis and my Dad around 2. In both cases the quality of life they had deteriorated quite quickly and once it had they didn't suffer too long, although the last month my mum spent at home she was bedridden and on quite a lot of drugs.

The 5 weeks my mum had was the longest and hardest, due mainly to the shock of it all.

And as Benny said I hope TDK your ol man makes a good recovery or is taken quickly, as harsh as it is.

From what I saw with my parents I firmly believe we need some euthanasia options in place.

My dad lasted 2 weeks from his diagnosis, and survived 6 days without food/drinks/drugs in hospital etc. That is cruel and unnecessary.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3583 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:34 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:From what I saw with my parents I firmly believe we need some euthanasia options in place.

My dad lasted 2 weeks from his diagnosis, and survived 6 days without food/drinks/drugs in hospital etc. That is cruel and unnecessary.

You're exactly right MT, I fully agree with you and I know my dad would. Prior to all this he has always said there needs to be euthanasia options in place, I remember discussing it with him when my grandfather was suffering in hospital before he passed.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby tipper » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:03 pm

its a wierd word we live in. if a pet is suffering, you would get charged with animal cruelty if you didnt do the right thing and see the vet about them.

if its a human relative, its illegal to do the same
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:11 pm

tipper wrote:its a wierd word we live in. if a pet is suffering, you would get charged with animal cruelty if you didnt do the right thing and see the vet about them.

Yep, we had to do that to our 15yr old kelpie midnight last Sunday....and yet a human can lay in a hospital bed with no food-drink etc until the end....

Strange world
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3583 times

Postby bennymacca » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:37 pm

tipper wrote:its a wierd word we live in. if a pet is suffering, you would get charged with animal cruelty if you didnt do the right thing and see the vet about them.

Not sure if I agree with others being able to decide when it's time, but if they are still lucid enough to say this is it, I am honestly all for it.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby tipper » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:45 pm

bennymacca wrote:

Not sure if I agree with others being able to decide when it's time, but if they are still lucid enough to say this is it, I am honestly all for it.

Yep. Not arguing that at all. I didnt mean for it to be a direct comparison in that regard
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby Grenville » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:49 pm

bennymacca wrote:

Last edited by Grenville on Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby Psyber » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:42 pm

Yes it is all pretty horrible watching someone waste and die over a long time. My wife died in 2008 after slowly wasting away for 4 years mostly tied to an Oxygen bottle. In her case it was lung damage from an antibiotic resistant bacterial pneumonia in caught in 2004.

I had a scare too. I was diagnosed by biopsy as having Prostate Cancer in 2010, and opted not to gamble on conservative treatments but to go for a Radical Prostatectomy - and checked with other Urologists and Radiologists I knew which colleague they would go to.

Fortunately, it appeared on pathological examination to be confined within the gland and I've gone nearly 6 years without any sign of secondary spread.
I still get a little anxious at annual testing time though...
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Footy Chick » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:09 am

Isn't there a "non invasive" prostate test now?
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby Q. » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:56 pm

Footy Chick wrote:Isn't there a "non invasive" prostate test now?

Where's the fun in that?
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby RustyCage » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:15 pm

Someone with small fingers?
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:46 am

Prostate examinations are a pain in the arse.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Psyber » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:35 pm

Footy Chick wrote:Isn't there a "non invasive" prostate test now?

The PSA blood test is a rough guide and not very reliable - a basic screening test at most.

Ultrasounds confirmed the enlargement of the gland, but according to the PSA levels my Prostate enlargement should not have been malignant.

My Urologist however was concerned about the rapid rise my repeated PSA levels even though it had not yet risen to the level that makes cancer "probable".
So I got the finger, and when he thought the lower left region was more "rubbery ' in texture than it ought to be, we discussed options and I had a biopsy.
Only the biopsy found the cancer which was confirmed by the post-op pathology.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Q. » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:26 pm

Ugh, mental images I didn't need
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times