Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Postby stan » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:50 pm

Q. wrote:Say what you want about Shorten's bland persona, but his retort at that nutjob Bernadi this morning was bloody epic.

Adding mate on the end just steps it up a level.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby bennymacca » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:14 pm

link?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Leaping Lindner » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:31 pm

"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby shoe boy » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:35 am

Leaping Lindner wrote:https://vine.co/v/irLB7QD2Phg

Turnbull and his mates .
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Psyber » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:26 pm

shoe boy wrote:

Turnbull and his mates .

I don't think Turnbull (nor his "mates") share much with Cory Bernardi.

Cory is way out on the fringe beyond Tony Abbott, but his electorate seem to like him and so do party members in his electorate.
And, of course, in the Liberal Party the members in the electorate vote on whom they want as their candidate and the party can't over-rule that vote.
(It is not like in the ALP where the factions and unions can impose someone on the grass roots members without their agreement.)

I've stood with Cory at Liberal Party functions and argued in favour of supporting gay marriage with him. Interestingly, he doesn't get huffy or arrogant about it, but remains civil and polite. Several times we've debated issues like that, agreed to disagree, and then he has nominated me for some party position at the meeting straight afterwards.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:46 pm

Psyber wrote:
shoe boy wrote:

Turnbull and his mates .

Cory is way out on the fringe beyond Tony Abbott, but his electorate seem to like him and so do party members in his electorate.
And, of course, in the Liberal Party the members in the electorate vote on whom they want as their candidate and the party can't over-rule that vote.
(It is not like in the ALP where the factions and unions can impose someone on the grass roots members without their agreement.)

I've stood with Cory at Liberal Party functions and argued in favour of supporting gay marriage with him. Interestingly, he doesn't get huffy or arrogant about it, but remains civil and polite. Several times we've debated issues like that, agreed to disagree, and then he has nominated me for some party position at the meeting straight afterwards.

In October, Mr Turnbull was met with ridicule from Liberal Party members at the state council when he suggested the party was not run by factions.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/strife-for-malcolm-turnbull-as-liberal-moderates-flex-muscles/news-story/92c53793690850d7592dd17c2a8be853
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby stan » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:45 am

July election guys?
stan
Coach

Postby Psyber » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:05 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:
Psyber wrote:
shoe boy wrote:

Turnbull and his mates .

In October, Mr Turnbull was met with ridicule from Liberal Party members at the state council when he suggested the party was not run by factions.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/strife-for-malcolm-turnbull-as-liberal-moderates-flex-muscles/news-story/92c53793690850d7592dd17c2a8be853

I did not say there were no factional groups inside the Liberal Party
The Liberal Party does have factions - factional sub-groups exist in any group of more than 9 people.
That is a basic principle of group dynamics.

My point was that in the Liberal Party groups of like-minded people can attempt to pressure or persuade the party members in the electorate but they still have to win the local member votes to get their candidate the seat.

The candidate cannot be dictated to the members by a factional group or heavy (or by associated groups like unions) without winning the majority of the votes.
Sure, sometimes they pull it off, but only if enough of the local members are sympathetic to their candidate in the first place and that candidate thus gets enough votes. The disadvantage of this more democratic process is that sometimes candidates win a the nomination for a seat that most of the party wish hadn't because the locals like him or her.

Contrast that with the situation in the state seat of Semaphore back in the 80s (I think) when the unions imposed a left wing candidate on the seat and the local party secretary resigned from the ALP and won the seat as an Independent Labor candidate because the majority of local ALP party members did not like the candidate who was forced on them from outside.
Psyber
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:17 pm

So the party wouldnt endorse someone for pre-selection in an area?
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Psyber » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:59 am

bennymacca wrote:So the party wouldnt endorse someone for pre-selection in an area?

Not the party..,
Individuals within it would/could, as candidates need to be nominated by another party member, and face a vote if there is more than one nominee.

For example back in about 1996 I was aware the state seat of Heysen was coming up as David Wotton was talking about retiring.
I was considering whether to stand and discussed it with Alexander Downer who agreed to nominate me.
We were aware the local Evans family also had a nominee in mind, so there would be a ballot of members which is the normal procedure.

However, I then discussed it with my wife who was totally opposed to becoming public property as the wife of an MP.
So, I decided I'd rather keep the wife and decided not to stand. Then we moved to Melbourne because of my adult stepdaughter's cancer, to support her.
A little later the Evans family nominated candidate won the nomination - Isobel Redmond.
(As I was interstate I don't know whether there were any other nominees which required a vote.)

I have, since I returned from Melbourne, discussed the fact that had things been different we may have been in competition for the seat with Isobel.
Psyber
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:28 am

Interesting story.

I guess what I was asking was whether pre selection was mostly a formality due to the nomination of certain powerful people, or whether it really is open slather
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Psyber » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:51 am

bennymacca wrote:Interesting story.

I guess what I was asking was whether pre selection was mostly a formality due to the nomination of certain powerful people, or whether it really is open slather

Obviously, who nominates you carries not inconsiderable weight but it is not the only thing that counts.
That was why I discussed my interest in Heysen with Alexander at the time and got his backing - every edge counts.
However, any member can nominate any member as a candidate for a seat.

Also, several powerful figures may nominate several different candidates - there is no centralised power group that can make sure there is only one nominee.

Candidates then go through a media training programme and present themselves to local branches within the electorate.
So the members in those branches get to assess your potential as a performer (and whether they like you or not) before any vote.

Of course sometimes there is only one nominee which is not ideal, but not everyone wants to be a politician.
And some, like me, may be interested and get talked out of it.

(My wife made one telling argument: "You're too idealistic and you'll hate the compromises you have to make. That will make you Hell to live with!" )
Psyber
Coach

Postby shoe boy » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:49 am

Psyber wrote:

Candidates then go through a media training programme and present themselves to local branches within the electorate.
So the members in those branches get to assess your potential as a performer (and whether they like you or not) before any
vote.

Of course sometimes there is only one nominee which is not ideal, but not everyone wants to be a politician.

(My wife made one telling argument: "You're too idealistic and you'll hate the compromises you have to make. That will make you Hell to live with!" )

I assume Marshall and Chapman missed the training programme .
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby stan » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:49 am

Your saying Marshall and Chapman are too idealistic?
stan
Coach

Postby Psyber » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:02 pm

shoe boy wrote:
Psyber wrote:

So the members in those branches get to assess your potential as a performer (and whether they like you or not) before any
vote.

I assume Marshall and Chapman missed the training programme .

As I didn't pursue becoming a candidate and therefore didn't do the training, I can't be sure whether it is a case of the training being inadequate or the material perhaps being too bland for it to stick to... ;)
Psyber
Coach

Postby stan » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:16 am

Honest to god Bill Shorten is employed by the Liberal party. He is their greatest weapon in the up coming election.
stan
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:57 am

stan wrote:Honest to god Bill Shorten is employed by the Liberal party. He is their greatest weapon in the up coming election.

Mind you, Abbott is turning into Labor's friend as well
The narcissism in politicians is gobsmacking
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby stan » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:39 am

The PM will be starting his 3 day pitch to SA voters today. He is looking at at a $230 billion defense head quaters to be in SA.

There is an article on adelaide now but you need a subscription for that, hence we can wait for the announcement.
stan
Coach

Postby stan » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:40 am

stan
Coach

Postby stan » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:36 am

Also there are so many different voices commimg out of the government at the moment its hard to work out if they are actually on the same page about at the moment.

The election? Early? Hard to tell.

Whilst it is healthy to have contrasting views which opens debate, as former Prime Minister John Howard has said, it would be helpful if there was one voice coming out of the government about a few items at the moment.
stan
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics