Aust tour squad v NZ announced - Sayers in.

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Aust tour squad v NZ announced - Sayers in.

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:40 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
batmanbegins wrote:
The great aussie side of the late 90s and early 2000s. The windies would of gone close but obviosuly didnt get to play SA. Very hard to beat them all.

The Windies at their peak would've would've conquered all since.

Greenidge
Haynes
Richardson
Gomes
Richards
Lloyd
Dujon
Marshall
Holding
Garner
Walsh

Circa 84.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby am Bays » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:13 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
batmanbegins wrote:
The great aussie side of the late 90s and early 2000s. The windies would of gone close but obviosuly didnt get to play SA. Very hard to beat them all.

Greenidge
Haynes
Richardson
Gomes
Richards
Lloyd
Dujon
Marshall
Holding
Garner
Walsh

Circa 84.

I'll bite, given how the 84 windies side struggled against so-so spinners in Bennett and Holland and with better batters I'll give the Australian side of 2000-02 a better than even chance against them:

Hayden
Langer/Slater
Ponting
M Waugh
S Waugh
Martyn/Slater
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Gillespie
McGrath

I'd give them virtually no chance against:

Morris
Barnes
Bradman
Hassett
Miller
Harvey
Loxton/ IWG Johnson
Tallon
Lindwall
BA Johnson
Toshak

PS Gomes batted six for them
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:22 am

am Bays wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
batmanbegins wrote:

Greenidge
Haynes
Richardson
Gomes
Richards
Lloyd
Dujon
Marshall
Holding
Garner
Walsh

Circa 84.

I'll bite, given how the 84 windies side struggled against so-so spinners in Bennett and Holland and with better batters I'll give the Australian side of 2000-02 a better than even chance against them:

Hayden
Langer/Slater
Ponting
M Waugh
S Waugh
Martyn/Slater
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Gillespie
McGrath

Morris
Barnes
Bradman
Hassett
Miller
Harvey
Loxton/ IWG Johnson
Tallon
Lindwall
BA Johnson
Toshak

Holland picked up 10/144 in the Sydney test, he managed 14/404 for the series.
Bennett picked up 5/124 in the same match and 5/214 for the series.

Yeah, I though Gomes was after Lloyd, I went back and checked just one match and Larry was in at 4 and there was no Holding in that test.

I basically only checked to see if Richardson and Lloyd's careers over-lapped!
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:33 am

am Bays wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
batmanbegins wrote:

Greenidge
Haynes
Richardson
Gomes
Richards
Lloyd
Dujon
Marshall
Holding
Garner
Walsh

Circa 84.

Hayden
Langer/Slater
Ponting
M Waugh
S Waugh
Martyn/Slater
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Gillespie
McGrath

Morris
Barnes
Bradman
Hassett
Miller
Harvey
Loxton/ IWG Johnson
Tallon
Lindwall
BA Johnson
Toshak

Chuck in Border's 11 for in 1988/89
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Grenville » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:32 pm

batmanbegins wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:I still think this side is far better balanced and in a better head space than the squad that went to England. I think England's results abroad v South Africa are a bit hard to judge as the Saffers are quarter of the side they were 2 years ago and I would strongly argue NZ on current Test form leading up to this series a far better team.

I disagree but anyways we will see when you guys play SA here next summer. I can't see how the Kiwis are better than SA, SA still have De villers, Amla, Morkel and when fit styen which would destroy the kiwis as they have always done. I just don't think any team in world cricket is very good at the minute. There is a few ok teams and that's about it. Once i see the Aussies do it against India over there, England away, SA here and away and even the Pakis here then I will believe there a very good side. Same with England they haven't done much yet and got lucky SA didn't have steyn and Philander playing.

Agreed, I don't reckon the quality is there as it was. Was very impressed the way the Poms dispatched the Saffers. That being said, I reckon we'll have the edge in the next Ashes series as our top players are maturing but the Poms top players are at their best now or on the decline.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby batmanbegins » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:47 pm

Grenville wrote:
batmanbegins wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:I still think this side is far better balanced and in a better head space than the squad that went to England. I think England's results abroad v South Africa are a bit hard to judge as the Saffers are quarter of the side they were 2 years ago and I would strongly argue NZ on current Test form leading up to this series a far better team.

I disagree but anyways we will see when you guys play SA here next summer. I can't see how the Kiwis are better than SA, SA still have De villers, Amla, Morkel and when fit styen which would destroy the kiwis as they have always done. I just don't think any team in world cricket is very good at the minute. There is a few ok teams and that's about it. Once i see the Aussies do it against India over there, England away, SA here and away and even the Pakis here then I will believe there a very good side. Same with England they haven't done much yet and got lucky SA didn't have steyn and Philander playing.

Agreed, I don't reckon the quality is there as it was. Was very impressed the way the Poms dispatched the Saffers. That being said, I reckon we'll have the edge in the next Ashes series as our top players are maturing but the Poms top players are at their best now or on the decline.

Yeah that's fair, I think your bowling will be a bit better than ours in the years to come. You will have a quality bowling line up for years to come assuming their fit. Finn has been really good over the past 6 months for England but I do worry about the depth compared to the Aussies once Anderson goes. Broad obviously still has a few good ashes series ahead only being 29 and he's the best bowler in the world at the moment. In years to come I think these two teams will be the best in the world other than India and the Pakis when they play at home which should lead to some cracking series. England still have Root, Stokes and Bairstow (he was sensational in SA) that are very young and I do believe we bat deeper than the Aussies but you top 5 are just much better overall. Anyway it's all hypothetical but I'm excited to see the Ashes in the future between to exciting teams.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:58 pm

Finn kills us when he gets it right.

Bairstow? Yeah nah. I watched him bat a few times against SA when it was on tv and whilst he had a good series I don't rate him at all. Looked good because he faced a rabble SA attack.

Ben Stokes, really good cricketer. Shits over what we have as allrounders.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10331 times
Been liked: 1519 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby batmanbegins » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:03 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:Finn kills us when he gets it right.

Bairstow? Yeah nah. I watched him bat a few times against SA when it was on tv and whilst he had a good series I don't rate him at all. Looked good because he faced a rabble SA attack.

Yeah Finn is very dangerous and appears to have got his rhthym back after flower and co tried to ruin him.

Fair enough on Baristow I can see why people think that but I still have decent hopes on him and quite like him but I'm probably biased as a Yorkshire man.

Stokes is the most talented England player since botham which is big to say but at only 24 to have made the quickest 250 of all time, to have made a ton at Perth and bowl with pace and swing he's a special talent.

I'm still a fan of butler and think he will make a good test batsmen once he backs himself a bit more as he has been sensational in one day cricket. And my word he needs to take the gloves off Bairstow as he is awful with the gloves.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:50 pm

batmanbegins wrote:

Yeah Finn is very dangerous and appears to have got his rhthym back after flower and co tried to ruin him.

Fair enough on Baristow I can see why people think that but I still have decent hopes on him and quite like him but I'm probably biased as a Yorkshire man.

Stokes is the most talented England player since botham which is big to say but at only 24 to have made the quickest 250 of all time, to have made a ton at Perth and bowl with pace and swing he's a special talent.

I'm still a fan of butler and think he will make a good test batsmen once he backs himself a bit more as he has been sensational in one day cricket. And my word he needs to take the gloves off Bairstow as he is awful with the gloves.

Stokes is the sort of guy you can build a team around.

And I rate Butler, strikes the ball as well as anyone, how good is he in limited overs cricket! Just been in shit form at test level.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10331 times
Been liked: 1519 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby mal » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:58 am

am Bays wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
batmanbegins wrote:

Greenidge
Haynes
Richardson
Gomes
Richards
Lloyd
Dujon
Marshall
Holding
Garner
Walsh

Circa 84.

Hayden
Langer/Slater
Ponting
M Waugh
S Waugh
Martyn/Slater
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Gillespie
McGrath

Morris
Barnes
Bradman
Hassett
Miller
Harvey
Loxton/ IWG Johnson
Tallon
Lindwall
BA Johnson
Toshak

Please explain why the 1984 WI team had virtually no chance of beating the 1948 Australian team
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1152 times
Been liked: 904 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:45 am

Bloke batting at 3 for Australia is a good start.

Interesting enough I watched a documentary on the plane a couple weeks back, Jeff Thompson bowled to Don Bradman in the nets when The Don was in his 70's. Thompson said whilst he wasn't going absolute flat stick, he was still bowling pretty quick and Bradman was dispatching every delivery.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 740 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Grenville » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:15 am

batmanbegins wrote:

You're right about Bairstow, he's a bloody terrible keeper. Buttler will be your best bet there once he finds his form again. Finn is a cracker of a bowler.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby the wonder elephant » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:25 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Bloke batting at 3 for Australia is a good start.

Interesting enough I watched a documentary on the plane a couple weeks back, Jeff Thompson bowled to Don Bradman in the nets when The Don was in his 70's. Thompson said whilst he wasn't going absolute flat stick, he was still bowling pretty quick and Bradman was dispatching every delivery.

What was the doco called mate sounds interesting?
the wonder elephant
League - Best 21

Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby Grahaml » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:28 pm

As I recall, Bradman didn't even bother with Pads.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby batmanbegins » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:54 am

Anybody see Amir's spell versus India last night? Was some terrific bowling. They have a quality bowling line up with 3 blokes all touching 150 that can swing it and Yasir shah as a top quality leg spinner. I'm excited to see them here in the summer, pity there batting will struggle to make 150 every time they bat though.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Postby whufc » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:27 pm

batmanbegins wrote:Anybody see Amir's spell versus India last night? Was some terrific bowling. They have a quality bowling line up with 3 blokes all touching 150 that can swing it and Yasir shah as a top quality leg spinner. I'm excited to see them here in the summer, pity there batting will struggle to make 150 every time they bat though.

They will be the same old

Too much money to be made
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Previous

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket