Port Adelaide 2016

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2016

Postby valleys07 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:58 pm

PAFC have just tweeted that Tom Clurey has a foot injury, and could be sidelined for between 4-8 weeks.

Ill post as I come across more info..
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Booney » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:17 pm

TOM CLUREY will miss anywhere from four to eight weeks with a foot injury, according to Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley.

No specific incident leading to the problem has been identified by the Power, however Hinkley says the club will take a "conservative" approach with Clurey regardless.

"There's some doubt for Tommy in Round 1 - he could miss anywhere from four, to six, to eight depending on what it turns out to be," Hinkley said on Friday.

"You'd expect he'd going to miss a little period of time now, he wont miss much of the season, he played well last week but he's got a bit of a sore foot now.

"It's nothing that we don't think won't recover with a little bit of time."
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7468 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby valleys07 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:33 pm

Booney wrote:TOM CLUREY will miss anywhere from four to eight weeks with a foot injury, according to Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley.

No specific incident leading to the problem has been identified by the Power, however Hinkley says the club will take a "conservative" approach with Clurey regardless.

"There's some doubt for Tommy in Round 1 - he could miss anywhere from four, to six, to eight depending on what it turns out to be," Hinkley said on Friday.

"You'd expect he'd going to miss a little period of time now, he wont miss much of the season, he played well last week but he's got a bit of a sore foot now.

"It's nothing that we don't think won't recover with a little bit of time."

Is it just me, or is it weird that there is such a recovery timeframe shared, with no idea at this point what the injury is?

Could it be anything related to the navicular maybe?
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

valleys07
Coach

Postby MW » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:04 pm

yeah quite strange to report a time frame on an undiagnosed injury...fingers crossed for him it's not that bad
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Booney » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:38 pm

I think any sort of "hot spot" in the foot would be straight away 4 weeks, then depending on how is goes perhaps another 4.

By the looks of Kenny's comments it was a best guess at something we don't quite know 100% about just yet.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Spargo » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:44 pm

I think it's broken in nine places...
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5460 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:57 pm

Spargo wrote:I think it's broken in nine places...

Wrong. Eleventeen mate, eleventeen.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:55 pm

I've heard reports that this injury is related to Charlie Dixon's knee.
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby marbles » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:26 pm

Who was ports previous vice captain?
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:26 pm

marbles wrote:Who was ports previous vice captain?

Brad Ebert
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10299 times
Been liked: 1517 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby RustyCage » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:00 pm

And Lobbe
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby UK Fan » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:13 am

fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby valleys07 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:49 pm

NAB 2 Review vs. Melbourne- Deesmantled.
Port Adelaide 1.10.7.76
Melbourne 0.15.5.95
Super Goal: Matthew Broadbent; Goals- Westhoff, Boak 3, Schulz, White, R.Gray, Young 1.

What can any Power fan take from that game?

Our First Half: Pure Port Adelaide football I thought. Backline was solid as a rock, with Pittard and Broadbent mopping up everything that hit the deck, Hombsch great on Hogan, and midfield working back in numbers to start the attacking chain. Midfield was working really well as a group. Boak, Sammy Gray, Toumpas and Polec were winning plenty of the footy, we were matching in clearances, we were tackling well and forcing repetitive stoppages if we couldn’t win the clearance. Forwards looked lively. Schulz, Westhoff and Butcher had great first quarters, our smalls in Robbie Gray and Matt White were impacting the scoreboard, and we were getting clean entries into our forward 50 and scoring 50% of the time.

Our 2nd Half: Absolute rubbish. We lacked run across the ground, our defensive structures fell away, we were unable to clear the footy from our defensive 50, our skills were pretty bloody poor (although that started to fall away during the 2nd term), and we really copped a pasting around clearances and in contested possession- a real return to 2015.

Let’s take a look at some numbers:

Contested Possession/Clearances: CP- Differential of 30 (Melbourne 135, Port 105); CL- Differential of 14 (Melbourne 44, Port 30)- This killed our 2015 campaign, and was an area I thought we were quite competitive in last week given the level of inexperience. I went into today’s game bullish that with our first string midfield, we would win this statistic. It bothers me that Max ****ing Gawn was able to accumulate more clearances than the best ranked Port midfielder in Sam Gray. It bothers me that aside from Boak and Gray, our premium mids in Ebert, Wines, Robbie Gray couldn’t get anywhere near the contested footy. It was the Jack Viney show in the guts, unfortunately. I will touch on tackles whilst I am here. Differential of 20 (Port 72, Melbourne 52). When Melbourne began to clamp Port down (2nd quarter onwards), stoppages formed and we amassed 29/19 and 13 tackles in the last 3 quarters- Melbourne were first to the footy time and time again.

Inside 50’s: Differential of 5 (Melbourne 44, Port 39). The number mightn’t seem like much, but what did bother me during the 2nd half, was our inability to rebound the footy. After leading the I50 count 24-19 at half time, and converting 25% of our entries into goals and 50% of our entries into scores- another scoreless quarter and some junk time goals worries me greatly. Our 2015 campaign was haunted by opposition teams pressing up and denying us clean transition from defensive 50, and in the 2nd half, our rebound disappeared, our skills were horrible, and we had no forward pressure enabling us to lock the footy down and create scores when we managed to get it past the centre line. I don’t give a rats what anyone says, however- Melbourne’s 50+ extra interchanges certainly played some part in them being able to out-work us across the ground, and have sharper skills. The key for our coaching staff will be to identify what errors/positional deficiencies are able to be put down to fatigue.

Free Kick Count: Differential of 15 (Melbourne 32, Port 17). See Contested Possession- we were 2nd to the footy for most of the day, and this, along with lack of discipline, severely impacted the count. Wines, Sam Gray and Lobbe each conceded 3 free kicks, and Jay Schulz conceded 5. The mids just need to get to the footy first, and as for Jay- yes he was double teamed most of the day, but he needs to find a way to force a contest without
infringing.

Things that went right:
• In the first half, we proved to ourselves and the competition that a 3 tall forward line can work. Schulz got on the end of some great transition early in the contest, Westhoff was everywhere in that first half, kicking 2.1, and Butcher took a couple of strong grabs and had 3 shots on goal. With Dixon likely to come into the side for NAB 3, hopefully he, Schulz and Westy can cause some damage for opposition defenders, and bring the likes of Wingard, White, Gray x 2, Neade into the play for opportunist chances.
• Competition for spots as far as tall defenders are concerned, is well and truly hot. Bobby Carlile played for the Magpies yesterday, and might find it tough to force his way back in. I thought Hombsch had a great battle with Hogan, Trengove gave Sam Frost an absolute bath, and Jonas beat Watts in that first half, before the avalanche in the 2nd. Having Bobby’s spot potentially up in the air come Round 1 is great signs for our back 6.

Things that are of concern:
• Lobbe. Ok- alarm bells are ringing for me in this area. Got spanked by Gawn (42 hitouts to 26), mustered just the 6 disposals, took no marks around the ground, and gave away a number of frees. This right here could be the difference between us competing in a grand final or finishing outside of the 8, and for a first hitout, the only way is up, surely.
• Poor skills, intensity around the stoppages, contested possessions. This absolutely crucified our 2015 campaign. Carn Port, fix your ****.

Player Reviews:

Top 5:

Travis Boak- (22D,4CL,5T,3.0). The only player worth a pinch of salt over 4 quarters, and clear best for Port. Still isn’t getting the protection from his teammates that he deserves when extracting the ball from stoppages, which prevents him from getting clean ball forward. Did look frustrated out there at times, but it was nice to see him sneak forward and hit the scoreboard- the best teams in the comp have midfielders who kick goals regularly.

Justin Westhoff- (10D,7M,2I50,6HO,3.1). I thought he was really damaging in the first half, taking a number of strong grabs and hitting the scoreboard. Disappeared for parts of the 2nd quarter and all of the 3rd before appearing again in the last. Would be nice to see consistency from him, but there were far worse than him yesterday.

Jimmy Toumpas- (17D,5M,4T,3I50). The former Demon is really pressing a strong claim for a Round 1 spot, with another solid game yesterday. He and Polec brought their own footy for the first 35 minutes, and with a D/E hovering around 90%, is exactly what we need in blokes not wasting a disposal.

Sam Gray- (19D,5CL,2T). I said to Boon at the half time break that it felt like I was looking for Sammy for most of the half, and was surprised that he had the amount of footy he did. Re-watching the game, he was BOG for us in that first half and his stoppage work was really good. A round 1 lock- given he only played 64% of the game, it is a shame nobody else apart from Boak stood up in the contested stakes.

Hamish Hartlett- (14D,3CL,8T,5I50). A solid game from Hamish, I thought he rarely wasted a disposal all day, and was brilliant defensively, laying a game high 8 tackles. It will be interesting to see where he lines up come Round1- obviously the side needs his penetration when entering the 50, but did play some bloody good footy in the back half of last year when playing off half back.

The Rest:

Jasper Pittard- (19D,4M,3R50,2I50). Probably unlucky not to make my top 5. I really enjoyed his defensive play, didn’t give his opponent an inch. Offensively he was also very good. He rarely wasted a disposal and for once, his decision making was instinctive and accurate. The best of Pittard comes when he trusts his first instinct, and hopefully we see him head on an upward trajectory in 2016, as his best is extremely important to the output of the side.

Robbie Gray- (16D,4T,4I50,1.0). Had a ripping first half but barely saw him after half time. Provided the goal of the day for mine with a clever snap recovering from a marking contest. Hopefully the disparity between halves is him dusting off the cobwebs, and we get a four quarter performance from him against the Tigers.

Matthew Broadbent- (15D,4M,3R50,3I50,1.0). Much like Robbie, his first half was excellent, before fading after half time. Kicked a wonderful supergoal in the first quarter, and I thought he offered us plenty of rebound whilst very solid defensively.

Brad Ebert- (15D,3M,3R50,4T,3I50). I thought it was a neither here nor there game from Brad. He got his hands on it a fair bit but his possessions weren’t damaging, nor did they allow us to quickly transition up the field.

Jared Polec- (14D,2R50,2T). Had the ball on a string in the first half, with 10-11 touches to half time, before fading out of the contest in the 2nd half. I thought he collected a majority of his disposals in our back half, and was less damaging than he can be.

Karl Amon- (11D,3M,5T,2I50). Gets his hands on the footy and uses it well, but needs to be involved more in the contest. Did spend a fair bit of time on the bench as part of our midfield rotations, hopefully he can impact the contest more as the season progresses. I have him lined up to take Gus’ role, and have him pencilled in for 15-20 games this season- he will need to produce more to fulfil that prediction.

Cameron O’Shea- (10D,3x1%). The highlight of his game was getting caught holding the ball by Kent in the last term, resulting in a goal. That about sums it up, yeah?

Jarman Impey- (10D,3M,2R50). See O’Shea. He was poor defensively for a majority of the game after quarter time. Garlett got over the back too many times. Have seen it all before against Betts.

Ollie Wines- (9D,2CL,3T). Offered nothing in the midfield. Gave away a free kick in literally the first play of the game, and his day plateaued from there. Watching Viney accumulate 28 and 10 clearances would have lessened the blow for Demons fans. I can’t recall ever seeing Ollie fail to impact the contest, hopefully his poor performances stick to the practice arena.

Brendon Ah Chee- (9D,3CLR,2T,2I50). Argh! There are about 4-5 positions up for grabs in our Round 1 side. Arch last weekend had one of those spots sewn up, but he wouldn’t want too many more showings like yesterday’s. In fairness, spent more than half the game on the pine, but I didn’t notice a single thing he did yesterday.

Aaron Young- (9D,3T,1.0). Came on after half time, and contributed more than some players did in four quarters. Might have more of a role in this side than people think, Boon quite rightly suggested that there is no-one in the wake of Cornes capable of playing a shutdown role. Yesterday’s game with Viney off the leash might just have been the perfect opportunity to test the waters.

Jack Hombsch- (8D,2T,5x1%). I really enjoyed his match up with Hogan. Hogan had him for strength in a few contests, but Jack somehow managed to get a limb in there to affect the spoil. Melbourne’s ball movement did give Hogan great positioning to take a few good marks, but I thought Hombsch had the better of the matchup for most of the day, given a majority of Melbourne’s scoreboard damage coming from the likes of Garlett, Kent and Vandenberg.

Darcy Byrne-Jones- (7D). Can’t see this lad getting another contract at the end of the season. Was involved in some good passages of play in the last quarter, but just doesn’t impact the contest in the manner of a Pittard or Broadbent. Given our plethora of half back options on our list, it’s hard to see him surviving the cut.

John Butcher- (7D,4M,3x1%,0.3). I really enjoyed his first quarter, and then went into relative obscurity after quarter time (like we haven’t seen that before). Nail 2 of his 3 shots and his day becomes a lot better. With a player like Butcher, he simply must make the most of the limited opportunities he gets during games.

Jackson Trengove- (7D,3T,5x1%). Smashed Frost, and provided the inanimate carbon rod a chop out in the ruck.

Matt White- (6D,2T,3I50,1.0). Went off at half time, but I thought he was lively around the contest up until then. A nice snap goal in the 2nd quarter.

Matt Lobbe- (6D,7T,26HO). Enough said *sigh*

Jake Neade- (5D,6T). Gave us plenty defensively, but couldn’t get a kick in a street fight. It is a shame that consistency could again be his detriment, especially given his game last week.

Tom Jonas- (4D,6x1%). I thought he was really good defensively considering he played less than half the game, and allowed Watts little room. Didn’t get near the footy offensively, and area he has really lacked since 2014.

Jay Schulz- (3D,2M,1.1). Did he do anything after 15 minutes, apart from give away free kicks?

Full credit to Melbourne, they got exactly what they would have wanted out of yesterday, which is a psychological boost heading into R1. Viney was electric at stoppages and around the ground, and will be aided with the return of Jones and Vince. I thought their forward line was dangerous with Garlett, Vandenberg and Kent lively and pressuring well.

As for Port, well here is hoping that Ken addresses yesterday’s deficiencies. We were reactive at stoppages, our skills were generally pretty poor, quite often looking for that perfect option rather than first instinct, and being held scoreless in a quarter for the 2nd week in a row is a concern.
Thankfully it is NAB challenge footy, and if there is a time to be dusting off the cobwebs, then this is it. Here is hoping for a more unified performance come March 10.

Carn the Power.

Valleys.

valleys07
Coach

Postby MW » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:16 pm

Cause for concern or "just a NAB challenge game"?
MW
Coach

Postby gossipgirl » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:23 pm

MW wrote:Cause for concern or "just a NAB challenge game"?

last week at work the port power fans were talking everything up and now they have gone quiet again. FFS these are just only trial games at least wait a few rounds into the proper season before panicking !!!! :roll:
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:27 pm

MW wrote:Cause for concern or "just a NAB challenge game"?

I'll wait and see the next match before I call it either way.

For mine, Port played the game to get run into the key players legs, thus the disparity in rotations ( 130+ to 80+ ) and the lack of run after half time.

No doubt some early form of a few keys was less than inspiring, Lobbe, Wines, Schulz, R.Gray, Ebert and to a lesser extent Broadbent, Polec and Hartlett didn't really set the world on fire. Some needed the run, some might have been run into the ground.Melbourne had 8 players play 80% of game time or more, Port had 13.

I'll worry a little if Richmond towel us up in the middle, in contested possession at stoppages and we don't stick some tackles.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:39 pm

Big diff in rotations for sure, that would have fatigued them late.
MW
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:13 pm

Booney wrote:I'll worry a little if Richmond towel us up in the middle, in contested possession at stoppages and we don't stick some tackles.

So much this.

Although i'll worry a lot.

valleys07
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:51 pm

According to the AFL website, it's premiership season rules for NAB 3, aside from the supergoal.

Should give us a good look at where we are at heading into Round 1, assuming both sides play full strength or near enough to.

valleys07
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:44 pm

why is the supergoal still a thing?

Im all for trialling rules in the NAB, but that isnt a trial anymore, it is just a pre-season thing. Why?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL