Where to for Glenelg

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Where to for Glenelg

Postby DOC » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:23 am

Booney wrote:There's no way in hell we would have got 8 pages talking about the Bays without getting this far off topic.

( Bays are broke > Joe had the SAN-mafia standing over him :lol: )

Was not anyone from the SANFL Booney but it was an esteemed member and sponsor of your club.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 729 times
Been liked: 2083 times

Postby stan » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:27 am

DOC wrote:
Booney wrote:There's no way in hell we would have got 8 pages talking about the Bays without getting this far off topic.

( Bays are broke > Joe had the SAN-mafia standing over him [emoji38] )

Was not anyone from the SANFL Booney but it was an esteemed member and sponsor of your club.

Banksa? Mob of ****.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby DOC » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:57 am

I think that Bank and certainly the chairman is tied up with the crows.
DOC
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:50 am

Panther Pack wrote:
Booney wrote:Get rid of Chiggy and I'll buy a membership.

I've had Sturt, South and West memberships over the years, will be hard to stomach a Gunelg one, but for the greater good....get rid of Chiggy!

Reckon it might be time for you to renew that South membership Booney get on board big fella!!!!!

I'll sign up when they get to 1000 members. Keep me updated.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby Panther Pack » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:09 am

Booney wrote:
Panther Pack wrote:
Booney wrote:Get rid of Chiggy and I'll buy a membership.

I've had Sturt, South and West memberships over the years, will be hard to stomach a Gunelg one, but for the greater good....get rid of Chiggy!

Reckon it might be time for you to renew that South membership Booney get on board big fella!!!!!

I'll sign up when they get to 1000 members. Keep me updated.

How's your calendar looking in 2022 ;)
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 139 times

Postby therisingblues » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:10 pm

DOC wrote:I think that Bank and certainly the chairman is tied up with the crows.

So what are we saying here; vote to allow the reserves in or we'll call in that loan?
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby DOC » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:36 pm

Thats good.

Just to be sure, it had nothing to do with any bank.
DOC
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:42 pm

DOC wrote:Thats good.

Just to be sure, it had nothing to do with any bank.

Just trying to put the pieces together here DOC. Apparently Joe's business outside of footy was threatened, if we know the position the alleged perpetrator holds we could get an idea of what nature of threat was delivered.
Are you privy, or is it best not to say?
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Postby DOC » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:57 pm

I understand that this is the case. I do not know how much of what he was told had on the ultimate decision.

He/Norwood went from an absolute no to a yes in less than a week.

Not sure if I drop the name (I am sure many posters already know) that the mods will be too happy so I will PM you.
Last edited by DOC on Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DOC
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:59 pm

Thanks DOC.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby csbowes » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:55 pm

therisingblues wrote:that might go someway to explaining the eerie code of silence adopted by all YES clubs on this issue, despite numerous requests for an explanation (eg. WSbowes' annual "please explain" to the SFC). May also explain why there was NO CONSULTATION with members by any of the YES clubs.

Nice to see someone remembers me... not been much action from me on here over the last couple of years.

For the record, there is still no response from any of the clubs bar Norwood, who replied at the time. I haven't pursued the matter with Sturt since I wrote to them 9 or so months ago.

I also got no response from Sturt on the WAFL license fee query (i.e. why are we being paid so little compared to WAFL clubs).

I do believe the clubs have made a decision not to engage the membership on this debate, purely because they don't feel they can win the argument no matter what they say, which is probably true, but at the same time is pretty disrespectful to members.
csbowes
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 77 times

Postby csbowes » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:20 am

The problem I see with the Glenelg situation is this...

Chiggy - We're voting to bring the AFL teams into the league.

Member - Do you mind explaining how that will benefit our club and promote membership long term?

Chiggy - F*** you.

1 week later...

Chiggy - Can we have some money?

Member - F*** you.

That said, there'll be a lot of members who will transform into sheep and baaaa their way to the charity box and handover their hard earned. At the same time, many diehards won't do squat. If Glenelg folded, would that push the other clubs to act?

Maybe.

Would I sacrifice Glenelg to test that theory?

Unsure. Maybe.

The fact is the league is in a pretty ordinary state and generally run by pretty ordinary people who eye an AFL role more so than covet their SANFL one, a sure sign that the league will continue to whore itself out to benefit the few over the many.

As I think about it a bit more, Glenelg folding could be good. It'd bring it to a head, we would either see a swift move by the 7 remaining clubs to reinstate their authority over the league or we'd see the league collapse in quick time.

Both results would give us victory / closure.
csbowes
League - Best 21

Been liked: 77 times

Postby Magellan » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:48 am

csbowes wrote:The problem I see with the Glenelg situation is this...

Chiggy - We're voting to bring the AFL teams into the league.

Member - Do you mind explaining how that will benefit our club and promote membership long term?

Chiggy - F*** you.

1 week later...

Chiggy - Can we have some money?

Member - F*** you.

That said, there'll be a lot of members who will transform into sheep and baaaa their way to the charity box and handover their hard earned. At the same time, many diehards won't do squat. If Glenelg folded, would that push the other clubs to act?

Maybe.

Would I sacrifice Glenelg to test that theory?

Unsure. Maybe.

The fact is the league is in a pretty ordinary state and generally run by pretty ordinary people who eye an AFL role more so than covet their SANFL one, a sure sign that the league will continue to whore itself out to benefit the few over the many.

As I think about it a bit more, Glenelg folding could be good. It'd bring it to a head, we would either see a swift move by the 7 remaining clubs to reinstate their authority over the league or we'd see the league collapse in quick time.

Both results would give us victory / closure.

Good post csbowes. I'd also say that's a fair summary of the relationship between the 'yes' voting clubs and their membership, albeit to differing extents.

I don't want the Bays to fold by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm also attracted to the idea that a sacrificial lamb (so to speak) might be the catalyst to prompt the clubs into a rethink. I'm not that confident, though. I think the reserves sides have been a factor but are not the dominant one in accounting for Glenelg's dire financial situation.

If Glenelg went to the wall I suspect the remaining clubs would see them as victims of their own management and not a reflection of a more pervasive problem re: the relevance and integrity of the comp. Their heads would prefer to be in the sand, not eat humble pie and clutch to the hope of the Footy Park dole payments and their earnest but deluded self-belief in generating interest within their community and zone to somehow stay relevant mid to long-term. How this happens with the long-term presence of the Crows and Port (and the presence of the teams fullstop makes it challenging for the SANFL clubs to maintain territory, let alone participating in the same comp) is something I cannot fathom. It seems the clubs have crossed their fingers really hard and are hoping to be viable rather than having any strategy to ensure this happens.

For example, I couldn't see North sympathising given its considerable pokie takings over the years and recovery from near extinction in 2003. I think North truly believes it can function as a worthwhile footballing organization into the future, even though everything else is pointing to a slow extinction and descent into irrelevance as far as the wider SA footy community is involved.

I'm not confident that the reserves comp egg can be unscrambled now, as much as people might want them out. We've read some commentary about how the Crows have wielded their massive influence to get what they want by getting the teams in. They're not going to back down and give it up. The damage has been done. Like a Trojan Horse they're now inside the SANFL and ransacking everything until they can stick an AFL logo on it and run it by the AFL's rules to suit their footballing agenda.

So with a heavy heart I think the latter of your two predictions is the more likely outcome.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Reddeer » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:40 am

AFL is the big league now and EVERY thing else is second fiddle. sadly there will be casualties
There are hundreds of clubs worldwide in all sorts of games that have UNITED in their name.
So it will eventually be things like North Norwood United Sturt South United Glenelg West United it already is Woodville West Torrens United
We will have a 4 team comp that play each other every second week. great to look forward to but I wont be around
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:34 pm

It's ok to have a sacrificial lamb as long as it's not your club?

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1817 times

Postby Pseudo » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:28 pm

Magellan wrote:I'm not confident that the reserves comp egg can be unscrambled now, as much as people might want them out. We've read some commentary about how the Crows have wielded their massive influence to get what they want by getting the teams in. They're not going to back down and give it up. The damage has been done. Like a Trojan Horse they're now inside the SANFL and ransacking everything until they can stick an AFL logo on it and run it by the AFL's rules to suit their footballing agenda.

On the contrary, IMO there will be a time when the two occupying entities leave the SANFL of their own accord. 15 year agreement be damned: When it no longer suits them to field teams in the SANFL then they'll be gone. Maybe they'd leave to join a national reserves competition; maybe they'd leave because another option became more appealing; maybe they'd leave because the league collapsed underneath them - but they'll go their merry way with impunity.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Been liked: 1557 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Magellan » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:03 pm

Pseudo wrote:
Magellan wrote:I'm not confident that the reserves comp egg can be unscrambled now, as much as people might want them out. We've read some commentary about how the Crows have wielded their massive influence to get what they want by getting the teams in. They're not going to back down and give it up. The damage has been done. Like a Trojan Horse they're now inside the SANFL and ransacking everything until they can stick an AFL logo on it and run it by the AFL's rules to suit their footballing agenda.

On the contrary, IMO there will be a time when the two occupying entities leave the SANFL of their own accord. 15 year agreement be damned: When it no longer suits them to field teams in the SANFL then they'll be gone. Maybe they'd leave to join a national reserves competition; maybe they'd leave because another option became more appealing; maybe they'd leave because the league collapsed underneath them - but they'll go their merry way with impunity.

I hope I'm wrong and you're right, I really do, but I have no confidence in those calling the shots.

If they do leave, I fear it won't be in time to salvage anything of worth and we'll be left with a carcass of comp, bereft of relevance and public support.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Panther Pack » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:52 pm

Just a thought but could the bays cash in more from the SACA it seems like Glenelg Oval has become the redbacks 2nd ground maybe a few more cricket games could help with Finances.
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 139 times

Postby Wedgie » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:17 pm

Panther Pack wrote:Just a thought but could the bays cash in more from the SACA it seems like Glenelg Oval has become the redbacks 2nd ground maybe a few more cricket games could help with Finances.

Wouldn't that go to the council or cricket club? Would have thought the Bays would only run the oval in footy season?
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2039 times
Been liked: 3880 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby heater31 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:43 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Panther Pack wrote:Just a thought but could the bays cash in more from the SACA it seems like Glenelg Oval has become the redbacks 2nd ground maybe a few more cricket games could help with Finances.

Wouldn't that go to the council or cricket club? Would have thought the Bays would only run the oval in footy season?

Footy club run the bar in the cricket club.....surely they are smart enough to actually make a profit out of that??
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL