Good Movies

Movies, TV Shows, Fringe, etc.

Re: Good Movies

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:34 pm

carey wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:Last cab to Darwin
Great movie especially for Michael Caton fans

Been meaning to see this since it come out. Still haven't, but will.

Apparently based on a true story
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby SABRE » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:51 pm

Ya' not wrong! Yep, straight to the pool room.

:-k
But hang on, I hate it when another great Australian movie comes along !!!
Who the bloody hell do you drop out of your all time Australian favourite top 10 movies ???
I can't let Priscilla, The Dish, or Muriel's Wedding fall by the Aussie wayside now that the amazing 'Last Cab To Darwin' has swelled local bosoms to the point of popping nipples !

OH STUFF IT !!!

The time has come for an overhaul in Sabreville! There's no way out of it, I'll just have to broaden my horizons, ignore the old cultural cringe, and expand my list of celluloid local loves list to 20. The time has come to admit that we can certainly pump out the absolute best in world class comedy, drama, history, sci-fi, war, arts and doco's. What's more, we seem to be able to achieve a true blue ribbon when it comes to cross-overs between all of these genres. Sometimes, all in the same bloody flick !
;)

If 'The Castle' isn't at the top of your all time Aussie list, then you're in NO danger of winning a pint of pale from this little ocker-rocker-digger.
Grab any potential foreign mate or matess, shove 'em down in front of The Castle, press play, and tell the buggers not to stop watching until they fully understand and can pass Australiana 101.

Now here's the rub. Thanks to death and taxes, we can never, ever, enjoy the pinnacle of Australian film. For surely, the ultimate quintessential kangaroovial klip, would have to star John Meillon, 'Bud' Tingwell, Ruth Cracknell, Michael Caton, Jackie Weaver, Jack Thompson, Bryan Brown, Errol Flynn, Graham Kennedy & Paul Hogan. And in the spirit of ANZAC, to keep our 'earthquaker neighbours' happy, there's Sam Neill.

Oh shite, I nearly forgot, let's all hear it for the greatest Australian actor of all time..........
The one and only (thank God), Sir Robert Menzies. Yes, that's right ladies and gentlemen, at a time when most other world leaders were bank-rolling their native geniuses and inventors to make a motza for their countries, our very own dig it up, grow it and sell it cheap, 'Pig Iron Bob', showed a supernova stage brilliance that saw him pretending to be a prime minister for an amazing 18 years whilst doing absolutely nothing. Beat that!
OK, sure he sucked up to queens, but acting is an industry that has always turned a blind eye to non-mainstream orientations.

With politics now well out of the way, can I please take this opportunity to say what a joy it has been over the years to enjoy the amazing talents of so many indigenous Aussies who have graced our many stages, big screens and small. Huge audiences have enjoyed the ripper performances of people like David Gulpilil & Ernie Dingo, but as in much of modern society, indigenous actors have often only bolstered productions from the periphery. Methinks those days be numbered.

Some of the greatest things have come by accident. And so it was just the other night when I found quite by accident a TV series called 'Redfern Now'. Having been born and bred on Sydney's 'north shore' and hearing nothing but 'bad press' about this historically troubled area, I thought I'd check it out whilst sniggering in denial about all my preconceived prejudices.

WELL PUCKAPUNYAL ME !!!!

What an amazing quality production. Tessa Rose as Coral is an instant favourite and young Shari Sebbens playing her grandaughter Julie must be one of this country's prettiest and most promising actresses for many a year. Not only that, but the rest of the almost entirely indigenous cast bring 'the other side of the tracks' to and through ya' eyeballs in searing reality. I'm hooked.

Leaving telly and getting back to movies, it's time to sum up.
For all the best reasons, be they black, white or every beautiful Australian technicolour in between ........... I bloodywell loved Last Cab To Darwin!

See ya' in the pool room!
:D
Luv,
Sabre.
NFC 2021
SABRE
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 44 times

Postby whufc » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:12 am

JK wrote:Finally got around to seeing The Martian. Pretty good flick. Im sure you could shoot holes in several parts of the plot, but enjoying it for what it is is probably the go.

Saw it last night and agree.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby HH3 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:32 pm

Deadpool.

Just got back from Gold Class.

Amazing!
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby JK » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:38 pm

Last Of The Mohicans was on Fox last night, one of my all-time favourite movies, and still enjoyable 24 years on.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby the wonder elephant » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:04 am

SABRE wrote:

Ya' not wrong! Yep, straight to the pool room.

:-k
But hang on, I hate it when another great Australian movie comes along !!!
Who the bloody hell do you drop out of your all time Australian favourite top 10 movies ???
I can't let Priscilla, The Dish, or Muriel's Wedding fall by the Aussie wayside now that the amazing 'Last Cab To Darwin' has swelled local bosoms to the point of popping nipples !

OH STUFF IT !!!

The time has come for an overhaul in Sabreville! There's no way out of it, I'll just have to broaden my horizons, ignore the old cultural cringe, and expand my list of celluloid local loves list to 20. The time has come to admit that we can certainly pump out the absolute best in world class comedy, drama, history, sci-fi, war, arts and doco's. What's more, we seem to be able to achieve a true blue ribbon when it comes to cross-overs between all of these genres. Sometimes, all in the same bloody flick !
;)

If 'The Castle' isn't at the top of your all time Aussie list, then you're in NO danger of winning a pint of pale from this little ocker-rocker-digger.
Grab any potential foreign mate or matess, shove 'em down in front of The Castle, press play, and tell the buggers not to stop watching until they fully understand and can pass Australiana 101.

Now here's the rub. Thanks to death and taxes, we can never, ever, enjoy the pinnacle of Australian film. For surely, the ultimate quintessential kangaroovial klip, would have to star John Meillon, 'Bud' Tingwell, Ruth Cracknell, Michael Caton, Jackie Weaver, Jack Thompson, Bryan Brown, Errol Flynn, Graham Kennedy & Paul Hogan. And in the spirit of ANZAC, to keep our 'earthquaker neighbours' happy, there's Sam Neill.

Oh shite, I nearly forgot, let's all hear it for the greatest Australian actor of all time..........
The one and only (thank God), Sir Robert Menzies. Yes, that's right ladies and gentlemen, at a time when most other world leaders were bank-rolling their native geniuses and inventors to make a motza for their countries, our very own dig it up, grow it and sell it cheap, 'Pig Iron Bob', showed a supernova stage brilliance that saw him pretending to be a prime minister for an amazing 18 years whilst doing absolutely nothing. Beat that!
OK, sure he sucked up to queens, but acting is an industry that has always turned a blind eye to non-mainstream orientations.

With politics now well out of the way, can I please take this opportunity to say what a joy it has been over the years to enjoy the amazing talents of so many indigenous Aussies who have graced our many stages, big screens and small. Huge audiences have enjoyed the ripper performances of people like David Gulpilil & Ernie Dingo, but as in much of modern society, indigenous actors have often only bolstered productions from the periphery. Methinks those days be numbered.

Some of the greatest things have come by accident. And so it was just the other night when I found quite by accident a TV series called 'Redfern Now'. Having been born and bred on Sydney's 'north shore' and hearing nothing but 'bad press' about this historically troubled area, I thought I'd check it out whilst sniggering in denial about all my preconceived prejudices.

WELL PUCKAPUNYAL ME !!!!

What an amazing quality production. Tessa Rose as Coral is an instant favourite and young Shari Sebbens playing her grandaughter Julie must be one of this country's prettiest and most promising actresses for many a year. Not only that, but the rest of the almost entirely indigenous cast bring 'the other side of the tracks' to and through ya' eyeballs in searing reality. I'm hooked.

Leaving telly and getting back to movies, it's time to sum up.
For all the best reasons, be they black, white or every beautiful Australian technicolour in between ........... I bloodywell loved Last Cab To Darwin!

See ya' in the pool room!
:D
Luv,
Sabre.

Bryan brown and heath ledger in two hands cracker !
the wonder elephant
League - Best 21

Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:15 am

Focus, Will Smith and Margot Robbie. :-BD

Couple of very good scenes making the most of Robbie's best assets, few twists to change things up just when you think you've worked it out and a pretty good ending.

Recommended.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby mal » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:13 am

Focus
Ditto Booney
Brilliant flick
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 892 times

Postby JK » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:58 am

Was originally going to put this in the "Meh" topic, because it is slow in bits, but in almost every other aspect it's excellent - Last Knights! Morgan Freeman and Clive Owen give their usual reliably good performances, but I thought the directing was outstanding. From Battle Scenes, to dramatic effect, it was a really well shot movie. Definitely worth a look if you have a spare 2 and a bit hours, just don't go into it feeling tired or you might nod off for a bit.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby JK » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:59 am

Booney wrote:Focus, Will Smith and Margot Robbie. :-BD

Couple of very good scenes making the most of Robbie's best assets, few twists to change things up just when you think you've worked it out and a pretty good ending.

Recommended.

Yeah was good fun. MR is a simply outstanding individual.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby HH3 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:03 am

The Hateful 8

For a movie consisting of 8 people in the same room talking shit for 2 hours and 46 minutes, it's actually really good.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby whufc » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:13 pm

HH3 wrote:The Hateful 8

For a movie consisting of 8 people in the same room talking shit for 2 hours and 46 minutes, it's actually really good.

No one can do a script better than Tarantino.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby coman » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:48 pm

Post card bandit .best Ozzie film
coman
Rookie

Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 61 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:14 pm

HH3 wrote:The Hateful 8

Just finished watching this. Good movie but as great as Django Unchained and Inglorious Bastards. The start was pretty slow but an interesting story in the end. Funny, gruesome and violent enough to keep me interested for the 2 hours 46 mins.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:24 pm

Agreed with Focus.
Very good
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:15 pm

Mr Morgan's last love
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby HH3 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:11 pm

Zootopia

A movie with a strong "social inclusion" message.

Gets a bit dark in places. But what newer Disney movie doesnt.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:37 pm

Really enjoyed Batman v Superman, enjoyed it more than the recent Star Wars flick and I'm a Star Wars nut.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Grenville » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:00 pm

HH3 wrote:Zootopia

A movie with a strong "social inclusion" message.

Gets a bit dark in places. But what newer Disney movie doesnt.

A couple of scenes weren't young kid friendly, bar that a good movie for the younguns.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon May 02, 2016 8:59 am

Daddy's Home... Enjoyed it!!
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Entertainment