A-League season 2015-16

Home of the A-League, the Soceroos, Local leagues, etc

Re: A-League season 2015-16

Postby bulldogproud2 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:00 pm

If Kamau had not 'dived' or jumped, can anyone please tell me that Reddy's leg would not have made contact with him, and in such a way that Kamau would have risked serious injury?? No matter which way you look at it, Kamau's action was to lessen the force of the impact. if he did not jump or dive, there is no way in the world Reddy could have avoided being red-carded, is there??
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby RB » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:01 pm

To be honest even Reddy wouldn't have come off too well if they'd collided. The lump on Craig Goodwin's head the other week shows what can happen when a player doesn't try to get out of the way.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1075 times

Postby Wedgie » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:52 pm

If you jump to avoid contact you jump upwards, you don't dive on your face. No contact was made. I would have sent off the AU player for diving but full marks to the ref for at least getting it right even though it should have been a red for bringing the game into disrepute instead of a yellow. Best refereeing I've seen in the A League ever.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby mighty hounds » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:11 pm

Wedgie wrote:If you jump to avoid contact you jump upwards, you don't dive on your face. No contact was made. I would have sent off the AU player for diving but full marks to the ref for at least getting it right even though it should have been a red for bringing the game into disrepute instead of a yellow. Best refereeing I've seen in the A League ever.

turn it up. never seen a ref give a player a straight red for diving.
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 286 times

Postby whufc » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:20 pm

Wedgie wrote:If you jump to avoid contact you jump upwards, you don't dive on your face. No contact was made. I would have sent off the AU player for diving but full marks to the ref for at least getting it right even though it should have been a red for bringing the game into disrepute instead of a yellow. Best refereeing I've seen in the A League ever.

Exactly there was no way he was jumping to avoid contact it was a dive to try and win a free.

100% without doubt
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:21 pm

RB wrote:
whufc wrote:
bulldogproud2 wrote:
RB wrote:So the A-League and the J-League (Japan) have a referee exchange program, where a couple of our referees go up there are do a match and a couple of theirs come down here.

Tonight Adelaide are playing the Wanderers in one of the biggest matches of the season in Round 24 (out of 27) - the winner will go top.

For some reason, the FFA decided to allocate a Japanese ref to this match, of all matches.

Ten minutes in, Kamau is through on goal with all the defenders a mile away. Reddy (WSW's GK) comes off his line and takes Kamau out, who tried in vain to jump over Reddy. It was a clear goal-scoring opportunity and the clearest foul you'll ever see, but the ref books Kamau for a dive.

Clearest send-off you'll see. Speechless.

Agree completely. A definite red card situation, as the vast majority of the experts seem to agree upon. Even the Sydney papers call it 'the worst yellow-card ever'! Kamau made contact with the ball and was left with two choices: either to try to jump over and out of the way of Liam Reddy (an instinctual action, which he ended up doing) or to run straight into Liam Reddy, resulting in possible injury to both.

He didn't jump out the way

He dove horizontally and upper body first into the ground

Strangest way I have ever seen someone try to avoid a tackle

Watch it at normal speed, and tell me where you would have jumped if the son of a second-rower was coming at you recklessly like that.

Upright over the top, I wouldn't of jumped in a diving motion towards the ground like contact had been made
whufc
Coach

Postby bulldogproud2 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:05 pm

Okay, we will agree to disagree.
What you seem to be saying though is that if Kamau jumped instead of 'dived', you would have given Reddy the red card?

So, it all boils down to a 'technique' of avoiding a collision. In a split second, after having made contact with the ball, with a large man running straight at me, with his leg extended to trip me up, I will miraculously decide to do a high jump rather than a dive..... as we all know that I have time to pre-meditate the way I am going to ensure I don't have my feet taken out from under me.

I will agree with all the 'experts' on Fox Sports, newspapers (both SA and interstate), radio etc. who all said it was an incident that should have been a red card to Reddy.

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/1a9f ... ?width=700

Cheers
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Postby Grahaml » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:09 pm

Looked like a massive dive to me as well. Played for quite some time and never once did I feel the need to swan dive to avoid a tackle. Always far more effective to hurdle the leg.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby bulldogproud2 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:30 pm

Grahaml wrote:Looked like a massive dive to me as well. Played for quite some time and never once did I feel the need to swan dive to avoid a tackle. Always far more effective to hurdle the leg.

The key thing is that Kamau was definitely taking action to avoid the leg - no one seems to have any doubt about that. He should only have been fouled if he had 'dived' for no reason. He was not trying to falsely convince the ref that there had been contact. Those are the circumstances in which 'simulation' is said to occur. In this case, if Kamau took no action, serious contact was definitely going to occur. No matter whether you look at it as a 'jumping' or 'diving forward' action, there is no question about simulation. As such, the only action a referee can take is to call the foul against Reddy. Under no circumstances could the foul be legitimately given against Kamau.

This seems to be the opinion of all those 'expert' commentators.

Cheers
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Postby Wedgie » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:38 pm

Lol, a foul against Reddy for not touching anyone and forcing a guy to dive. Now I've heard it all. Perhaps they should have called fouls against the crowd while we're at it for inciting the dive. FFS. I wouldn't disagree with Donald Trump getting a red for his part in it, it would make as much sense as calling a foul against Reddy.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby whufc » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:03 am

bulldogproud2 wrote:Okay, we will agree to disagree.
What you seem to be saying though is that if Kamau jumped instead of 'dived', you would have given Reddy the red card?

So, it all boils down to a 'technique' of avoiding a collision. In a split second, after having made contact with the ball, with a large man running straight at me, with his leg extended to trip me up, I will miraculously decide to do a high jump rather than a dive..... as we all know that I have time to pre-meditate the way I am going to ensure I don't have my feet taken out from under me.

I will agree with all the 'experts' on Fox Sports, newspapers (both SA and interstate), radio etc. who all said it was an incident that should have been a red card to Reddy.

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/1a9f ... ?width=700

Cheers

How do people expect the ref to not only tell whether a player dives because of contact or no contact but also decide in the split second if the dive was to avoid contact or play for a free

Anytime a ref sees a player 'dive' with no contact he has to call it a foul for diving it's almost impossible in that split second to decide the intent of the dive

It's rudiculous what your saying, you are literally saying anytime a player runs at you that you can hit the deck before they have even made contact and claim a free because your avoiding someone trying to tackle you
You might as well get rid of tackling a play jockey soccer
Last edited by whufc on Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:06 am

Wedgie wrote:Lol, a foul against Reddy for not touching anyone and forcing a guy to dive. Now I've heard it all. Perhaps they should have called fouls against the crowd while we're at it for inciting the dive. FFS. I wouldn't disagree with Donald Trump getting a red for his part in it, it would make as much sense as calling a foul against Reddy.

From this we have essentially learned that a player can not tackle another because literally every single tackle has the potential to hurt someone

We have also learnt players can dive anytime another player comes within a couple of metres of them as its a legit attempt at avoiding a tackle lol
whufc
Coach

Postby Jase » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:12 am

whufc wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Lol, a foul against Reddy for not touching anyone and forcing a guy to dive. Now I've heard it all. Perhaps they should have called fouls against the crowd while we're at it for inciting the dive. FFS. I wouldn't disagree with Donald Trump getting a red for his part in it, it would make as much sense as calling a foul against Reddy.

From this we have essentially learned that a player can not tackle another because literally every single tackle has the potential to hurt someone

We have also learnt players can dive anytime another player comes within a couple of metres of them as its a legit attempt at avoiding a tackle lol

You should have known that at least a couple of years ago, you've got Berisha playing for you!!!!
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1480 times
Been liked: 552 times

Postby RB » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:18 am

whufc wrote:

It was a reckless tackle, and by the way Reddy admitted to touching him, and Kamau's entitled to get out of the way however he wants (not that you've got time to think about how to get out of the way). They're the rules...
RB
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:03 am

There was no way his 'dive' was an attempt to avoid contact it was clear as day a dive to win a free kick
whufc
Coach

Postby RB » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:32 am

I disagree, but at any rate it was a reckless challenge, meaning simulation is irrelevant.

Also, there was contact (Reddy admitted to contact), meaning that simulation is irrelevant.

Those are the laws of the game.

To be clear, I don't think there was simulation.
RB
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:39 am

whufc wrote:

I think we learnt this yesterday when Newcastle's Mullen got carded for a tackle in which he clearly got to the ball first and tried to avoid contact with his opponent.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby bennymacca » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:51 am

Ridiculous foul, no way was it a dive.

May as well kick him in the face next time, it's obvious trying to avoid contact isn't good enough.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Jim05 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:18 pm

United give up a early goal but have hit back with 3 in 9 minutes
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby RB » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:25 pm

With two rounds to go, United could realistically finish anywhere from first to fifth. The top six is pretty much set, with Sydney two wins and goal difference behind the Victory:

Melb. City 44 pts, +22
Brisbane 44 pts, +8
Adel. Utd. 43 pts, +13
Western Syd. 42 pts, +6
Perth 40 pts, +10
Melb. Victory 37 pts, +4

Next week's games are:

Western Sydney v Central Coast
Wellington v Melbourne Victory
Sydney v Adelaide United
Brisbane v Newcastle United
Perth v Melbourne City

And the final round:

Melbourne City v Adelaide United
Central Coast v Newcastle United
Melbourne Victory v Brisbane
Wellington v Western Sydney
Sydney v Perth

It could come down to the wire in the final round, with United a possibility of getting a top two spot. Western Sydney and Brisbane have easy home games this week, with City having to travel to a fast-finishing Perth. Brisbane have a tough game in the final round, as do we although a top two spot is in our own hands. Wanderers have the easiest run but are coming from behind. Simultaneous kickoffs in Round 27 would be good...
RB
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Soccer  Australian Soccer