Round 1 - WWT defeat Sturt

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Round 1 - WWT defeat Sturt

Postby RB » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:02 pm

Apparently there was a football game on today at Unley:

WWT 16.9.105

defeat

Sturt 10.6.66

This McGregor fellow for the Eagles chipped in for 3 goals...
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 766 times
Been liked: 1075 times

Re: Round 1 - WWT defeat Sturt

Postby Mickyj » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:09 pm

Not sure how to describe that game wasn't great wasn't that bad for the Eagles .
Wasn't great for the Eagles
Sturts ruckman went off with an injury do they have another ruckman ?
Redden was a big plus for the Eagles
Young Yarran did the odd good things
I'm happy the Eagles won seen better games since worse .
Not sure what to say about Sturt they did try to rough the Eagles up didn't really work .
Land based Lure Bream Fisherman
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 22 times

Postby Brodlach » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:26 pm

Another reason for me to dislike the Eagles, took them 40+ and they win by 39!
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Mickyj » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:31 pm

RB wrote:Apparently there was a football game on today at Unley:

WWT 16.9.105

defeat

Sturt 10.6.66

This McGregor fellow for the Eagles chipped in for 3 goals...

And the one the crowd yells at for eating to many pies kicked 6
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Postby arcadefire » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:55 pm

Well it looks like Boyd has got over his groin injuries..was clearly best and a totally different player to the one that was hobbling around in the GF
arcadefire
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby wedgetail » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:41 pm

A few subtle shifts in the Eagles game plan today. Switched play across the ground frequently, played on quickly more often than last year, a better centre square set up resulting in more clearances (Boyd esp.), tackling was fierce and front on pressure resulted in many smothers of Sturt's kicks and handballs. Most players contributed well for the Eags today with Appleton and Ellis perhaps the weaker ones. Goldsworthy looked back to his early form of last year and Sinor looked like he belonged and may be missed next week with a possible ankle injury.
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation
wedgetail
Under 18s

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby Mickyj » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:45 am

wedgetail wrote:A few subtle shifts in the Eagles game plan today. Switched play across the ground frequently, played on quickly more often than last year, a better centre square set up resulting in more clearances (Boyd esp.), tackling was fierce and front on pressure resulted in many smothers of Sturt's kicks and handballs. Most players contributed well for the Eags today with Appleton and Ellis perhaps the weaker ones. Goldsworthy looked back to his early form of last year and Sinor looked like he belonged and may be missed next week with a possible ankle injury.

Id agree with what you saw wedgetail
I think Yarrin did some good things he still has much to learn
Ainger needs to play in front more often
Sturt were scared of Wundke the full back had hands all over Wundke at times

I thought Eagles going out of the back line needs to improve but I like they have changed things up
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Postby hawks21 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:06 am

It wasn’t all bad for the Blues yesterday, had some good patches and some young kids showed some good signs. You could see the type of game plan Mattner is trying to implement with numbers behind the ball and running the ball out of defence as we don’t have a forward over 6’4” to kick long to like most sides. It will take more than a few games for the players to adapt to this style.

Unfortunately bad skill errors cost us goals early and the Eagles are a well drilled and structured side who took advantage of it. 6 goals was probably a fair margin in the end.
hawks21
Reserves

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby holden78 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:13 pm

With Boyd fit again and no schwartz in the midfield ,it made a hell of a differance. Good 2 c the front runners played well ie Hall and Goldy
holden78
League - Best 21

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 55 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:27 pm

wedgetail wrote:A few subtle shifts in the Eagles game plan today. Switched play across the ground frequently, played on quickly more often than last year, a better centre square set up resulting in more clearances (Boyd esp.), tackling was fierce and front on pressure resulted in many smothers of Sturt's kicks and handballs. Most players contributed well for the Eags today with Appleton and Ellis perhaps the weaker ones. Goldsworthy looked back to his early form of last year and Sinor looked like he belonged and may be missed next week with a possible ankle injury.

That's a fair summation. With Rowntree out I wasn't sure how well we would go in the midfield given how important he was for us last year. But O'brien has replaced him well and unlike so many ex-AFL players who come to our competition, he actually looks serious about playing to the best of his ability and putting his body on the line. Boyd's game was the best I've seen him play for the club. Agreed, he looks fitter than ever before. Poole also played close to the best game I've seen from him. He showed in the last half of last season how important he can be and with Rowntree out he will be even more important as that nuggety, tough, in close onballer. Goldy had a great game from the half back line but his challenge will be to keep that standard up. The last couple of years he has started as well early but then faded as the season has progressed. We need constant output from him. Redden was huge at the centre bounces and gave us first use of the ball. With Borholm the support, we must have close to the best ruck combo in the competition. Yarran and Ellis showed a hell of a lot of promise. Ellis in particular appears to have added some extra strength to help him cope a bit better with stronger opponents. Didn't notice Appleton at all and Sinor was quiet but as noted, got injured so can't really rate him.

Where is Schwartz? Is he still with the club? Can't believe Von Bertouch still isn't a regular in our team. I have always thought he is our best tall defender but Godden seems to like a shorter backline. Maybe it was strategic since Sturt didn't appear to have a single forward over 6 foot.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby Spargo » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:18 pm

Crowd figure?
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5486 times
Been liked: 5124 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby wedgetail » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:47 pm

Mr Fuller wrote:

That's a fair summation. With Rowntree out I wasn't sure how well we would go in the midfield given how important he was for us last year. But O'brien has replaced him well and unlike so many ex-AFL players who come to our competition, he actually looks serious about playing to the best of his ability and putting his body on the line. Boyd's game was the best I've seen him play for the club. Agreed, he looks fitter than ever before. Poole also played close to the best game I've seen from him. He showed in the last half of last season how important he can be and with Rowntree out he will be even more important as that nuggety, tough, in close onballer. Goldy had a great game from the half back line but his challenge will be to keep that standard up. The last couple of years he has started as well early but then faded as the season has progressed. We need constant output from him. Redden was huge at the centre bounces and gave us first use of the ball. With Borholm the support, we must have close to the best ruck combo in the competition. Yarran and Ellis showed a hell of a lot of promise. Ellis in particular appears to have added some extra strength to help him cope a bit better with stronger opponents. Didn't notice Appleton at all and Sinor was quiet but as noted, got injured so can't really rate him.

Where is Schwartz? Is he still with the club? Can't believe Von Bertouch still isn't a regular in our team. I have always thought he is our best tall defender but Godden seems to like a shorter backline. Maybe it was strategic since Sturt didn't appear to have a single forward over 6 foot.

Von Bertouch was a little 'under done' for league I believe and would be in our best 21 when fully fit.
I believe Schwarz has 'retired'. Why or for how long, who knows?
wedgetail
Under 18s

Postby wedgetail » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:49 pm

Spargo wrote:Crowd figure?

Near 3500.
wedgetail
Under 18s

Postby therisingblues » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:51 pm

Mickyj wrote:Not sure how to describe that game wasn't great wasn't that bad for the Eagles .
Wasn't great for the Eagles
Sturts ruckman went off with an injury do they have another ruckman ?
Redden was a big plus for the Eagles
Young Yarran did the odd good things
I'm happy the Eagles won seen better games since worse .
Not sure what to say about Sturt they did try to rough the Eagles up didn't really work .

Dillon Mullins was recruited to remedy the issue of a lack of height. He unfortunately broke his leg in the preseason against South. If we've lost another ruckman I'd hope it's not for the long term, and let's hope we see Dillon make a speedy recovery.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby therisingblues » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:55 pm

hawks21 wrote:It wasn’t all bad for the Blues yesterday, had some good patches and some young kids showed some good signs. You could see the type of game plan Mattner is trying to implement with numbers behind the ball and running the ball out of defence as we don’t have a forward over 6’4” to kick long to like most sides. It will take more than a few games for the players to adapt to this style.

Unfortunately bad skill errors cost us goals early and the Eagles are a well drilled and structured side who took advantage of it. 6 goals was probably a fair margin in the end.

Thanks for the summary Hawks. Really wanted to get down for this game but I've been insanely bus these past two weeks. Hope Mattner gets them moving in the right direction.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Pseudo » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:10 pm

wedgetail wrote:
Spargo wrote:Crowd figure?

Near 3500.

Does anyone have an exact crowd figure for this game?
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1559 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby scott » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:26 pm

scott
Veteran

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby Pseudo » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:29 pm

Thanks scott, much obliged.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1559 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Board index   Football  SANFL