Sheffield Shield Season 2015/2016

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Sheffield Shield Season 2015/2016

Postby Bombers4EVA » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:30 pm

Arch44 wrote:
Bombers4EVA wrote:I just can't believe the Redbacks threw their chances again. Every time the Redbacks find themselves a chance of taking home some silverwear. Especially when the odds are in favour this time. They always manage to find a way to f&%k things up and lose it themselves. What a embarrassment for SA cricket.

In reality it seems now that we are always only making up numbers. No one remembers who comes second. If you ain't 1st your last.

That's a huge over reaction and typical waiting until the result to sink the boots. We lost in the end yes, but at times were in winning positions too.
I have been a bit harsh on here too, but mostly in jest and truth is making the shield final is an improvement on previous years and the redbacks have some good young cricketers coming through. Disappointing yes, but not the end of the world for SA cricket by a long shot.

Just letting you know that I come from Victoria. I was born in 1981 and left to come here in 1990. I've been here ever since. I have been following the Redbacks since moving to SA so I can point my disappointment out. As it seems to be happening all the time they make a final or put themselves in a great opportunity. No one gets a trophy for runners up.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:32 pm

Zartan wrote:Would much rather sit here and lament a missed opportunity like today, than to reflect on a season of disappointment sitting at the bottom of the ladder.

Made the final in all formats this year (including BBL), unearthed some talent and most of all finally had blokes knocking on the doors of AUS selection!

SA Cricket is in a far better place now than it was 3yrs ago - we are no longer just making up numbers.

Still you can be happy where you placed during this year. But in the end if you don't win, you dont get the awards. No one gives a crap who comes second or how well you did in finals. Its all about the one that counts and the Redbacks always find a way to f%$k things up.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby The Bedge » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:33 pm

Bombers4EVA wrote:Just letting you know that I come from Victoria. I was born in 1981 and left to come here in 1990. I've been here ever since. I have been following the Redbacks since moving to SA so I can point my disappointment out. As it seems to be happening all the time they make a final or put themselves in a great opportunity. No one gets a trophy for runners up.

No one asked for your life story, nor do I think it validates in anyway your ability to be so critical.

Happening all the time? Please tell me how many times the Redbacks have let you down in a final over the past 20yrs - excluding this season?
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4000 times

Postby Arch44 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:34 pm

Zartan wrote:Would much rather sit here and lament a missed opportunity like today, than to reflect on a season of disappointment sitting at the bottom of the ladder.

Made the final in all formats this year (including BBL), unearthed some talent and most of all finally had blokes knocking on the doors of AUS selection!

SA Cricket is in a far better place now than it was 3yrs ago - we are no longer just making up numbers.

Spot on.
Hogg Shield Div IV 2018 Winner
Arch44
League - Top 5

Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 272 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:37 pm

Bombers4EVA wrote:Still you can be happy where you placed during this year. But in the end if you don't win, you dont get the awards. No one gives a crap who comes second or how well you did in finals. Its all about the one that counts and the Redbacks always find a way to f%$k things up.

You miss the bigger picture - we are no longer the laughing stock of the country.. and when was the last season before this that so many players had been noticed for higher honours?

Zampa, Head, Richardson, Sayers then there is talk around Mennie, and Lehmann has made people notice a bit more.
We produced the SS player of the year in Travis Head, we made the final in all formats, we unearthed Weatherald and Carey looks like he's found his mojo at this level.

We debuted and gave opportunities to Opie, Valente, Andrews, Benton
The Bedge
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:42 pm

Next year will be the one where we can be critical. Even though it was a huge opportunity missed, dos any of us seriously think we were the best team in the country? We were pretty lucky to even make the final.

Still disappointing to capitulate in the last day or so but I think getting to the final was already overachieving
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby The Bedge » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:43 pm

Since 1995-96 when SA last won the Shield (19 seasons not including this one)..

10x finished last
2x finished second last
4x finished third last

that's 16/19 seasons in the bottom 3..

The one day stuff isn't much better, since 2000-01 in the 15 seasons (not including this one), 8/15 times in the bottom 3, 1x win and 1x runner up
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Footy Smart » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:47 pm

As mentioned, proud of the effort, improvement and some individual performances in the big dance.
Looking forward our weakness is the structure of the side and individual roles of the batters.

Cossie is playing ultra-defensive (not his game) due to the attacking nature of our younger bats - Weathers, Head, Lehmo, Ross and Carey. Raph, who is an average state cricketer (nothing personal against Raph) then filling a defensive role in the top of the order. We need to fix this moving forward, getting a better spread IMO.

To win the shield you need and all-rounder. This is a position we haven’t filled since Dan Christian left. Look at Stoinis and Christian in that Vic side. They are so valuable to the structure; we could have then played a 50/50 spinner.
IMO a shield winning side looks like this:
5 bats
Keeper
Spin/medium All-rounder
Spinner/extra medium
3 quicks
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby Bombers4EVA » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:51 pm

IF YOU AINT FIRST YOU ARE LAST. Who cares how well you played in the season. Or who has played well. Those stats don't win ya medals or trophies.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby heater31 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:53 pm

Zartan wrote:
Zampa, Head, Richardson, Sayers then there is talk around Mennie, and Lehmann has made people notice a bit more.
We produced the SS player of the year in Travis Head, we made the final in all formats, we unearthed Weatherald and Carey looks like he's found his mojo at this level.

We debuted and gave opportunities to Opie, Valente, Andrews, Benton

I'm going to to throw Raphael in that catagory by far his best Shield Season, 349 runs @ 31.72 batting at 3 and if you combine his with Fergs (478 @ 53.11) we have 827 runs @39.38.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby heater31 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:58 pm

Footy Smart wrote: Cossie is playing ultra-defensive (not his game) due to the attacking nature of our younger bats - Weathers, Head, Lehmo, Ross and Carey. Raph, who is an average state cricketer (nothing personal against Raph) then filling a defensive role in the top of the order. We need to fix this moving forward, getting a better spread IMO.

To win the shield you need and all-rounder. This is a position we haven’t filled since Dan Christian left. Look at Stoinis and Christian in that Vic side. They are so valuable to the structure; we could have then played a 50/50 spinner.
5 bats
Keeper
Spin/medium All-rounder
Spinner/extra medium
3 quicks

The batsman who bowls is perfect for a Cam Valente. Caught up with his manager at the game over the weekend and he has the same opinion. Cam is not going to displace Mennie, Worrall or Sayers (despite selectors pegging him as the back up Chadd this year) he needs to bat 6 or 7 and bowl some decent overs when required.
heater31

Postby heater31 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:59 pm

Bombers4EVA wrote:IF YOU AINT FIRST YOU ARE LAST. Who cares how well you played in the season. Or who has played well. Those stats don't win ya medals or trophies.

Who lost the shield the year before we won in 1995/96? That's right it was South Australia who gave Queensland their first ever :roll:

Learning experience for all involved
heater31

Postby Aerie » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:10 pm

Footy Smart wrote:As mentioned, proud of the effort, improvement and some individual performances in the big dance.
Looking forward our weakness is the structure of the side and individual roles of the batters.

Cossie is playing ultra-defensive (not his game) due to the attacking nature of our younger bats - Weathers, Head, Lehmo, Ross and Carey. Raph, who is an average state cricketer (nothing personal against Raph) then filling a defensive role in the top of the order. We need to fix this moving forward, getting a better spread IMO.

5 bats
Keeper
Spin/medium All-rounder
Spinner/extra medium
3 quicks

Botha?

I disagree. Ross at number 6 showed how important it is to have a genuine batsman in that position. If he also happens to be a good bowler then that is a massive bonus, but those players are few and far between as you get to higher levels. Same goes for a bowling all-rounder. Must firstly be considered a top 4 bowler in the state.

The only thing they got wrong was not selecting a spinner. Of course, if they don't think the spinner is any good then they need to find a better back up to Zampa.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby Footy Smart » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:12 pm

heater31 wrote:
Footy Smart wrote: Cossie is playing ultra-defensive (not his game) due to the attacking nature of our younger bats - Weathers, Head, Lehmo, Ross and Carey. Raph, who is an average state cricketer (nothing personal against Raph) then filling a defensive role in the top of the order. We need to fix this moving forward, getting a better spread IMO.

5 bats
Keeper
Spin/medium All-rounder
Spinner/extra medium
3 quicks

The batsman who bowls is perfect for a Cam Valente. Caught up with his manager at the game over the weekend and he has the same opinion. Cam is not going to displace Mennie, Worrall or Sayers (despite selectors pegging him as the back up Chadd this year) he needs to bat 6 or 7 and bowl some decent overs when required.

I know you like pushing for his selection Heater, but I cant see Cam or even Alex Gregory developing enough to play that quality all rounder role. Thats just my opinion though. Also 6 in a state side is far to high for Valente.

Mennie and Zampa arent all rounders, they are handy lower order bats but certainly not all rounders.
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby stan » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:13 pm

Bombers4EVA wrote:IF YOU AINT FIRST YOU ARE LAST. Who cares how well you played in the season. Or who has played well. Those stats don't win ya medals or trophies.

Settle down Ricky Bobbie. Remember his old man was high that day when he came to his class.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby heater31 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:29 pm

Footy Smart wrote:
heater31 wrote:

5 bats
Keeper
Spin/medium All-rounder
Spinner/extra medium
3 quicks

I know you like pushing for his selection Heater, but I cant see Cam or even Alex Gregory developing enough to play that quality all rounder role. Thats just my opinion though. Also 6 in a state side is far to high for Valente.

Mennie and Zampa arent all rounders, they are handy lower order bats but certainly not all rounders.

I agree Cam has to get in on a combination of both batting and bowling. Either on their own certainly won't.

Then again I never envisaged Raph would play Shield cricket 5 years ago!
heater31

Postby The Bedge » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:29 pm

Aerie wrote:The only thing they got wrong was not selecting a spinner. Of course, if they don't think the spinner is any good then they need to find a better back up to Zampa.

Takes time to develop a decent spinner for this level, but there appears to be options emerging - Andrews, Cormack, Pope
The Bedge
Coach

Postby RB » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:17 pm

Pretty embarrassing to lose a home Shield Final - only the Redbacks could manage that.

Really we weren't too far away. A few more runs or a few more overs taken up and the Shield would be ours.

Our mistakes are pretty plain. Just not quite enough runs in that first dig, or alternatively not quite enough overs used up. We should've have a spinner. I know many are saying that our strength is our seam bowlers, but really I'd only put Mennie, Sayers and Worrall in that category. Andrews should have played ahead of Opie (this was Opie's second game for SA for Christsakes). We just lacked a bit of maturity in the Final. Weathered really threw it away going for the big one to get the century. The one positive of that is that he'll surely never, ever do the same thing again.

Having said all that, most of our squad has a bright future and there's no reason why we can't be challenging for the Shield again next year...
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 766 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:31 pm

Sack Chuck
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 719 times
Been liked: 1072 times