The good and the bad

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The good and the bad

Postby Hazydog » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:05 am

VALE PARK wrote:My suggestion is for Anzac Day Eve not Anzac Day and at the Adelaide oval.
The SANFL has to create new options for fans by being inventive.
Not like their 5 byes this year,
a good crowd would be assured,some might buy into the whole season.
The above may not suit Norwood though if it had to give up of a home game.
To me bad luck.
What is best for the comp is what counts.

Fair call - I didn't pick up the Eve bit.
Wouldn't be locking any Reserve Teams into permanent fixturing arrangements though.
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby JK » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:14 am

Yep I missed the Eve part too .. Norwood and Port still pull* a reliably decent crowd, so the timeslot might be better filled with two other teams? 3rd v 4th from the previous season maybe? Again then, a significant timeslot gets shared around
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby robranisgod » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:52 pm

JK wrote:Yep I missed the Eve part too .. Norwood and Port still pull* a reliably decent crowd, so the timeslot might be better filled with two other teams? 3rd v 4th from the previous season maybe? Again then, a significant timeslot gets shared around

In 1965, 66, 67, 68 and 1970, 3rd and 4th from the previous season did play at Adelaide Oval on the June long weekend holiday. I don't know about before that time and I don't think it happened afterwards. I was in my formative years so growing up I thought it was a tradition similar to the Anzac Day previous season's premiers vs runners up.

I am all for this sort of tradition, rather than the AFL idea of certain clubs getting those holiday fixtures. I thought it disgraceful in the mid 80s when the SANFL stopped rostering the previous year's grand finalists on Anzac Day.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 224 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby robranisgod » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:22 pm

robranisgod wrote:
JK wrote:Yep I missed the Eve part too .. Norwood and Port still pull* a reliably decent crowd, so the timeslot might be better filled with two other teams? 3rd v 4th from the previous season maybe? Again then, a significant timeslot gets shared around

In 1965, 66, 67, 68 and 1970, 3rd and 4th from the previous season did play at Adelaide Oval on the June long weekend holiday. I don't know about before that time and I don't think it happened afterwards. I was in my formative years so growing up I thought it was a tradition similar to the Anzac Day previous season's premiers vs runners up.

I am all for this sort of tradition, rather than the AFL idea of certain clubs getting those holiday fixtures. I thought it disgraceful in the mid 80s when the SANFL stopped rostering the previous year's grand finalists on Anzac Day.

I have checked records and have found that 3rd and 4th from the previous season played each other at Adelaide Oval on the June long weekend holiday in 1958, 1960, 1961, 1962 and 1963 as well as the years I previously quoted. So that was 10 years out of 13 and in 1969 they couldn't play because the national championship was being played in Adelaide at that time. It was just about a tradition. Central and Port at Adelaide Oval on this year's June holiday would be quite an attraction. It can't happen this year but maybe next year!
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 224 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby Magellan » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:34 pm

Last week North bad.

This week North good.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL