Cornes complaint

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Cornes complaint

Postby Bounce of the ball » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:49 pm

I cant read the article as I am not a Adelaide Now subscriber but the headlines is :

Cornes : Norwood crowd out of control

PORT Adelaide and Adelaide have called for greater security at SANFL matches after Chad Cornes labelled the crowd at Norwood Oval last week as “probably the most abusive I’ve ever been involved with either at AFL or SANFL level’’
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Re: Cornes complaint

Postby stan » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:51 pm

Lol I was just going to post about this. Just read it then, you beat me to it.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:55 pm

His dad and he can sit down and debate whether Centrals crowds, or North crowds, or Norwood crowds are the worst.
Seems crowds get under the skins of the Cornes family a fair bit.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby darley16 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:55 pm

His younger brother said the same thing about Norwood Oval crowd......so what happened? Swearing, abuse, violence or just not the adoring "we love you Chad" response?
darley16
Under 18s

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby am Bays » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:00 pm

Fester to thread, Fester to thread..... :D
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby RB » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:08 pm

R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby Reddeer » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:23 pm

Nothing new!!!
Last year we watched an elderly woman in front of us in the grandstand giving the Eagles the two finder salute as they left the ground.
I casually said to her that it was bad luck that Norwood had lost in all the grades that day and she went absolutely ballistic and pretty much accused me of being a foul mouth bastard and wanted her husband to start a fight with me. The feral crowd at that venue has stopped us from ever going there again!!!
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:27 pm

Like abusing the royal family isn't it (in their eyes)
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:29 pm

PORT Adelaide and Adelaide have called for greater security at SANFL matches after Chad Cornes labelled the crowd at Norwood Oval last week as “probably the most abusive I’ve ever been involved with either at AFL or SANFL level’’.

Former AFL star Cornes, coaching the Magpies for the first time last Thursday night, said he and his players felt threatened and that the Redlegs should be “embarrassed’’ by the behaviour of some of their supporters.

“A bit more has to be done with (SANFL) security,’’ said Cornes, the oldest son of inaugural Crows coach Graham Cornes and brother of Power games recordholder Kane Cornes.

“Just walking down at the breaks I thought something could happen here, so the SANFL needs to look at that and beef up security.

“I don’t mind when they say it to me but some of the stuff they were saying to the boys (players) is just completely unacceptable.

“Some of the supporters need to have a good look at themselves and I’d be a little bit embarrassed if I was a part of the ‘normal’ Norwood supporters because of what some of the lower ones were saying to our boys.

“I won’t say what they said but it’s just not good enough.’’

It is understood Power-listed Paul Stewart had “kill’ threats directed at him.

Kane Cornes, now an assistant coach at Glenelg, wrote in his The Advertiser column that he left The Parade at halftime of the SANFL season opener with his young family after witnessing the abuse.

“A much-anticipated family outing to kick off the Easter long weekend turned into a halftime exit thanks to some appalling crowd behaviour,’’ he said.

“You’d hate to see the kids miss out on the chance to run on to the ground at the breaks thanks to a few thugs.’’

Chad Cornes, who played 239 games for the Power from 1999-2011 and 16 for GWS in 2012, said offenders should be thrown out of SANFL matches.

Crows SANFL coach Heath Younie backed Cornes’s call for greater safety measures for players and coaches and revealed Adelaide employs its own plain-clothes security guards to deal with crowd trouble “just in case something happens’’.

“I reiterate what Chad says in that we need to look at it (greater security),’’ Younie said.

“As Chad says it’s not just about the coaches but the players deserve the respect to be able to go about their business without being criticised personally and to the level it sometimes gets to.

“We are a unique competition in that we allow our supporters to come onto the ground, which is fantastic for our local supporters, but we’ve got to be respectful that these players — both the AFL clubs and SANFL traditional clubs — are there to do a job.

“The SANFL will no doubt look into it but coaches at every club should have some sort of security around them to support them because we’d hate to see a point where supporters aren’t allowed on the ground at quarter and three-quarter time breaks.’’

Norwood chief executive Geoff Baynes said crowd emotions were high at The Parade because of the healthy rivalry with Port but he said his club did not condone behaviour that “crossed the line’’.

He said Redlegs security staff have been instructed to warn offenders for a first offence and then evict them from the ground for a second.

“SANFL supports a strong stance be taken by its clubs against poor crowd behaviour,’’ he said.

“We understand rivalry is a significant part of football, however, we remind fans of the consequences of taking their passion too far.

“When behaviours are impacting the enjoyment of participants, officials and patrons, they are damaging to our game and as such our tolerance levels and response need to be suitably actioned.”
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Wedgie » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:30 pm

Did Tex feel the need to comment on this game or is he a hypocritical wanker?
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2022 times
Been liked: 3866 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby tigerpie » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:34 pm

Bit rich coming from port I would've thought. Do they hear their own ferals at alberton?
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby tipper » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:38 pm

i think both of these clubs just arent used to playing in front of oppositon crowds. both normally play to a stadium filled with their own supporters. look at the whingeing from them both on the 1 game a year when they face a stadium packed with opposition supporters (when they dont host the showdown) how many times have i read of one group of supporters planning a "boycott' when it is the other clubs home game because of "feral" crowd behaviour?..... bit different when the shoe is on the other foot i guess :roll:

i have never had a problem with crowd behaviour at Norwood, and have been with my kids in the past. and if i can ever be bothered going to a game again, i woldnt have a problem taking the kids there again.

good on the norwood supporters for making them feel uncomfortable. maybe the message will eventually get out that they arent welcome
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby Cambridge Clarrie » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:45 pm

I'd say it's probably a fair call on his part. Unfortunately it happens at all grounds though. It's the real d!ckhead element (which might be less than 1% of the crowd) who take things too far and spoil the day for others. Some people just don't know where to draw the line.

More of this behaviour and we can say goodbye to standing around the huddles...
"They do say, Mrs M, that verbal insults hurt more than physical pain. They are, of course, wrong, as you will soon discover when I stick this toasting fork into your head"
Cambridge Clarrie
League - Best 21

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 31 times

Postby Jim05 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:03 pm

Can always take them to the VFL Chad
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby blueandwhite » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:03 pm

As someone who belongs to possibly the most polite home crowd in the league all I can say is get used to it Chad.
Norwood and Alberton are both very hostile environments for opposing supporters.
last year at Alberton I was parking my car in a neighbouring street, there was a lot of traffic around and I let a car coming in the opposition direction through the congestion. As the car passed me the occupant, clearly seeing I was an opposition supporter wound his window - I thought to thank me , however he politely told me F--K OFF!...welcome to Alberton, and I hadnt even got a carpark!!!
Tiocfaidh ár Lá
blueandwhite
League - Best 21

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 218 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby Magellan » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:07 pm

It's no coincidence that Cornes and Younie as the respective coaches for Power and Crows reserves sides feel that proper SANFL crowds are a bit antagonistic towards them.

Bit surprised Cornes felt the way he did, though, I thought his skin would be a bit thicker given his on field carry-on in his prime, and he should know about the Port-Norwood rivalry and what it means. As for the Crows, I'm not surprised they feel a bit intimidated when opposition supporters speak their mind in anything louder than a moderate 'more tea please, vicar' volume.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby johntheclaret » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:09 pm

Pftt......
I thought this was a thread about a foot problem :roll:
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Magellan » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:09 pm

blueandwhite wrote:As someone who belongs to possibly the most polite home crowd in the league all I can say is get used to it Chad.
Norwood and Alberton are both very hostile environments for opposing supporters.
last year at Alberton I was parking my car in a neighbouring street, there was a lot of traffic around and I let a car coming in the opposition direction through the congestion. As the car passed me the occupant, clearly seeing I was an opposition supporter wound his window - I thought to thank me , however he politely told me F--K OFF!...welcome to Alberton, and I hadnt even got a carpark!!!

Interesting. I reckon Alberton Oval ain't nothing like it used to be. I've found the crowd vibe there in recent years when North have played to be quite benign, to be honest.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby Magellan » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:10 pm

Wedgie wrote:Did Tex feel the need to comment on this game or is he a hypocritical wanker?

What did he say/tweet?
Magellan
Coach

Postby Grenville » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:28 pm

The Skyhooks speak on my behalf Chad:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c4Uf8bLl6yU
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times