Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Shark_Hunter » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:17 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:WT should not throw stones when it comes to trying to poach players. If they had never recruited of other sides then they would have a case. Also I think you will find the few WT players with value have put out 'feelers' to certain clubs and this happened well before the season started.

As said above, a club isnt doing its duty if it doesnt approach players to improve their squade/side/club. Yes the circumstances for Port and WT are different currently but id suggest a few WT players would be on the move should they still remain as a stand alone club. Port have no right to complain about poaching when you look at the make up of their A grade squad :D

Not sure who WT have poached Footy Smart?? We made a decision to give our juniors a go, no point in winning 19 Junior premierships over 10 years if you are not going to try and get them to play A Grade.

Our team last year was made up of mostly of players that had come thru our junior program.

TTG do it well, they target what they need, at least three at a minimum in the losing Grand Final team were from other Clubs, in Page, Hutchinson and Borgas.[/quote]

WT has not recruited a single player from another SA Grade club for 3 seasons now, deliberately to develop their own juniors. The last two that came from other clubs prior to that reached out to us seeking to further their careers.

Put your own club in this position and see how happy you would be about it all. The level of contact has been astounding, far more than simply due diligence I'm afraid. One player received 3 texts from other clubs in the duration of a 1 hour meeting, including from your own club Footy Smart. He was not impressed.
Shark_Hunter
Under 16s

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby Footy Smart » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:28 pm

Shark_Hunter wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:WT should not throw stones when it comes to trying to poach players. If they had never recruited of other sides then they would have a case. Also I think you will find the few WT players with value have put out 'feelers' to certain clubs and this happened well before the season started.

As said above, a club isnt doing its duty if it doesnt approach players to improve their squade/side/club. Yes the circumstances for Port and WT are different currently but id suggest a few WT players would be on the move should they still remain as a stand alone club. Port have no right to complain about poaching when you look at the make up of their A grade squad :D

Not sure who WT have poached Footy Smart?? We made a decision to give our juniors a go, no point in winning 19 Junior premierships over 10 years if you are not going to try and get them to play A Grade.

Our team last year was made up of mostly of players that had come thru our junior program.

TTG do it well, they target what they need, at least three at a minimum in the losing Grand Final team were from other Clubs, in Page, Hutchinson and Borgas.

WT has not recruited a single player from another SA Grade club for 3 seasons now, deliberately to develop their own juniors. The last two that came from other clubs prior to that reached out to us seeking to further their careers.

Put your own club in this position and see how happy you would be about it all. The level of contact has been astounding, far more than simply due diligence I'm afraid. One player received 3 texts from other clubs in the duration of a 1 hour meeting, including from your own club Footy Smart. He was not impressed.[/quote]

Yes the last few years you havent recruited, however before that there has been plenty who have made their way to Henley GM Oval.

You said it yourself, 'reached out to further their careers'. I think this statement is atleast relevant to a few of the WT boys even though they may not admit it.

Like i said, your situation is different and i dont envy it for a moment and im not having a go at WT, im just saying that having a go at other clubs for contacting 2-3 players is no big deal as these players probably get calls each year.

Im sure our club did SH, no harm in asking :D
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby Shark_Hunter » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:53 pm

Footy Smart wrote:
Shark_Hunter wrote:

TTG do it well, they target what they need, at least three at a minimum in the losing Grand Final team were from other Clubs, in Page, Hutchinson and Borgas.

Put your own club in this position and see how happy you would be about it all. The level of contact has been astounding, far more than simply due diligence I'm afraid. One player received 3 texts from other clubs in the duration of a 1 hour meeting, including from your own club Footy Smart. He was not impressed.

Yes the last few years you havent recruited, however before that there has been plenty who have made their way to Henley GM Oval.

You said it yourself, 'reached out to further their careers'. I think this statement is atleast relevant to a few of the WT boys even though they may not admit it.

Like i said, your situation is different and i dont envy it for a moment and im not having a go at WT, im just saying that having a go at other clubs for contacting 2-3 players is no big deal as these players probably get calls each year.

Im sure our club did SH, no harm in asking :D[/quote]

I understand your point even if I don't quite agree. And I think if you went through the history of the last 10-15 seasons you would find that WT has recruited far less players from rival clubs than it has lost. But pretty tough to take when you're sitting in a room trying to save your club and having to deal with this issue as well.
Last edited by Shark_Hunter on Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shark_Hunter
Under 16s

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:55 pm

heater31 wrote:When was the last time you spoke to your clubs committee Tony?

Going for another 3 years but with some changes....my guess NT and PNG are out and it will be re-branded to avoid confusion with Premier Cricket.

Ok then!
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby The Hound » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:01 pm

Shark_Hunter wrote:

Put your own club in this position and see how happy you would be about it all. The level of contact has been astounding, far more than simply due diligence I'm afraid. One player received 3 texts from other clubs in the duration of a 1 hour meeting, including from your own club Footy Smart. He was not impressed.[/quote]

SH it has been a two way street!, it's not just one way at the moment, fair bit of interest from WT players/parents contacting neighboring clubs i believe, could it be that clubs are just returning calls / texts. BTW Page landed on their doorstep, they didn't actively recruit him, handy player to come and knock on your door. I don't envy your committee's position at present.

Has one of your unofficial "officials" had the muzzle put on them due to some inaccurate commentary on social media fora :oops:
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby heater31 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:13 pm

The Hound wrote:SH it has been a two way street!, it's not just one way at the moment, fair bit of interest from WT players/parents contacting neighboring clubs i believe, could it be that clubs are just returning calls / texts. BTW Page landed on their doorstep, they didn't actively recruit him, handy player to come and knock on your door. I don't envy your committee's position at present.

Has one of your unofficial "officials" had the muzzle put on them due to some inaccurate commentary on social media fora :oops:

not going to lie but yes Neighbouring clubs have had increased interest from Junior Families looking for some certainty. Not sure on exact numbers but there are some attending our trials. Even before the season closed there were approaches from parents wanting to find out about the selection process.

With clubs now holding junior trials there could be some awkward conversations when the fate of both clubs is determined finally.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby maxi » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:46 pm

Heard this arvo Hags will be coaching West torrens if they survive
maxi
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times

Postby oyster » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:06 pm

maxi wrote:Heard this arvo Hags will be coaching West torrens if they survive

Mark is the new coach. Guaranteed. Will be announced this weekend. Expect Youngy to help him. Both clubs WiLL survive guaranteed

Another guarantee, is that those clubs who are poaching players and juniors would want to start looking out for themselves.
West Torrens and Port will survive, and look for both clubs to return fire with lots of interest.

Those clubs poaching look out, as from my understanding both clubs will make a point of poaching players from those clubs who are acting as vultures. Both clubs have huge contact bases. Both clubs have a lot more $$$ in the bank than is being talked about here. Warning - Watch out
oyster
Rookie

Been liked: 20 times

Postby heater31 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:20 pm

What a ******* debacle this is turning into :roll:
heater31

Postby maxi » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:06 pm

oyster wrote:
maxi wrote:Heard this arvo Hags will be coaching West torrens if they survive

Mark is the new coach. Guaranteed. Will be announced this weekend. Expect Youngy to help him. Both clubs WiLL survive guaranteed

Another guarantee, is that those clubs who are poaching players and juniors would want to start looking out for themselves.
West Torrens and Port will survive, and look for both clubs to return fire with lots of interest.

Those clubs poaching look out, as from my understanding both clubs will make a point of poaching players from those clubs who are acting as vultures. Both clubs have huge contact bases. Both clubs have a lot more $$$ in the bank than is being talked about here. Warning - Watch out

Crap mate Torrens arent opening a cheque book to attract players, Port maybe but not Torrens and do you think players are lining up to join two clubs whove been put on notice.
maxi
Rookie

Been liked: 8 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:07 pm

Harrity is a really good appointment, as is Young assuming he's involved.

Why wasn't Harrity in the mix last season out of interest?
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby oyster » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:22 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:Harrity is a really good appointment, as is Young assuming he's involved.

Because Rumbels was the right bloke for the gig last year.
Rumbels had done a huge amount of work with the kids in the U17 carnivals and had numerous flags with the under age sides.
With so many of the kids that Rumbels coached in the juniors going through to senior ranks, he was the ideal fit at the time.
He resigned this year, but played an integral part in the clubs presentation to the SACA and is a terrific club man.
Jonesy did the presentation to the SACA but a lot of the work for the presentation was done by Rumbels.
oyster
Rookie

Postby Eagles2014 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:39 am

Tony Clifton wrote:Harrity is a really good appointment, as is Young assuming he's involved.

SACA have a rule that if you are coaching a Premier League club, you can not have an involvement in a District Club. As Hags was coaching Western Grit this year, he was not allowed to be involved with WT, last year he was bowling coach.

So when the Premier League finished in mid October, he was sitting around twiddling his thumbs (he helped out at a College, PAC I think).

We asked for permission from SACA to have him as Senior Coach once his Western Grit commitments are finished, and they approved it. As long as we are still in the comp next year, he will coach us with Dan Cullen his assistant.

It was important to get a high profile coach and he is a fantastic bloke and coach, as we needed a reason for all our players to stick with the Club through this testing period and not take the easy option of moving Clubs. We feel this will achieve these goals.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 527 times

Postby daysofourlives » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:57 am

Eagles2014 wrote:

SACA have a rule that if you are coaching a Premier League club, you can not have an involvement in a District Club. As Hags was coaching Western Grit this year, he was not allowed to be involved with WT, last year he was bowling coach.

So when the Premier League finished in mid October, he was sitting around twiddling his thumbs (he helped out at a College, PAC I think).

We asked for permission from SACA to have him as Senior Coach once his Western Grit commitments are finished, and they approved it. As long as we are still in the comp next year, he will coach us with Dan Cullen his assistant.

It was important to get a high profile coach and he is a fantastic bloke and coach, as we needed a reason for all our players to stick with the Club through this testing period and not take the easy option of moving Clubs. We feel this will achieve these goals.

On the other side of the coin he's a Port man from way back, maybe he's a SACA seed to lead you and Port to a happy life ever after as one
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Eagles2014 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:07 am

daysofourlives wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:

On the other side of the coin he's a Port man from way back, maybe he's a SACA seed to lead you and Port to a happy life ever after as one

True, be perfect coach of a Merged club!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 527 times

Postby heater31 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:56 am

Eagles2014 wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:

True, be perfect coach of a Merged club!

Port were looking for a coach still??
heater31

Postby oyster » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:22 pm

About the best article I've seen yet in the Advertiser. Spot on. As I've said many times, West Torrens should never be in the gun
Common sense and from a former University player and captain according to his letter
Attachments
aaaaaaa.jpg
aaaaaaa.jpg (63.02 KiB) Viewed 2068 times
oyster
Rookie

Postby oyster » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:35 pm

heater31 wrote:What a ******* debacle this is turning into :roll:

Don't know about a debacle champ. We have to listen to your crap about Adelaide and grade cricket meetings.

You wouldn't see this as a debacle if Adelaide were in the gun as West Torrens are. You'd be here yapping and protesting, in the same way.
oyster
Rookie

Postby heater31 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:12 pm

oyster wrote:
heater31 wrote:What a ******* debacle this is turning into :roll:

Don't know about a debacle champ. We have to listen to your crap about Adelaide and grade cricket meetings.

You wouldn't see this as a debacle if Adelaide were in the gun as West Torrens are. You'd be here yapping and protesting, in the same way.

The debacle is the SACA board sat on their hands hoping that 2 clubs would sort out all the dirty work for them. It didn't so now the back flips are turning this into a joke.

I've said it before on here West Torrens are a victim of having 2 shithouse neighbours with a bleak long term future and how University avoided any scrutiny has got me beat.
heater31

Postby The Hound » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:47 am

oyster wrote:

Because Rumbels was the right bloke for the gig last year.
Rumbels had done a huge amount of work with the kids in the U17 carnivals and had numerous flags with the under age sides.
With so many of the kids that Rumbels coached in the juniors going through to senior ranks, he was the ideal fit at the time.
He resigned this year, but played an integral part in the clubs presentation to the SACA and is a terrific club man.
Jonesy did the presentation to the SACA but a lot of the work for the presentation was done by Rumbels.

Perfect bloke for the job, but didn't see out the year :oops: , interesting! as they say 6 months is long time in cricket :D

I'm hearing that no meeting between both clubs and SACA has been organised, and that the Wharfies may be in some strife.
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps