Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:44 am

oneuponedown wrote:
Luke15 wrote:
Front & Centre wrote:10 days out from season starting and only A/B draw has been released! How are clubs, families, supporters meant to plan for round 1?
Another case of SFL mishandling this and probably being too soft in allowing clubs too much time to find players. At this point you either can or can't field a side

In fairness to the League and all involved i think we would all prefer to give clubs extra time to find numbers than not have a team at all. The more teams the better i say.

From my knowledge clubs with 18s are:

Flaggies, Reynella, Noarlunga, Brighton, MVale, Cove, Christies, Aldinga, Happy Valley,

Unsure on : Porties, OSB, MPark, Hackham and Marion

Agree that more sides the better, but if your club doesn't know what there doing 10 days out from round 1 I think that answers the question!
With Hackham's much publicised / rumoured lack of numbers, suggests most of their 18's will be playing B grade in 2016.

Are all teams fielding SATURDAY 14 & 16''s this year? M/Ville PK and OSBL in particular?

MVP have moved their 14s and 16s to the SANFL
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby tigerpie » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:25 pm

If thats the case, seeya later MVP!
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby strike me pink » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:48 pm

This will be MVP last year in SFL is what I am hearing
strike me pink
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Archer11 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:11 pm

strike me pink wrote:This will be MVP last year in SFL is what I am hearing

If that's the case it should also be Marion and Brighton as well and then there needs to be a merger of clubs maybe Hackham/OSB Lions. This then makes a 10 team competition with all sides to fill the junior grades.
Archer11

Been liked: 0 time

Postby strike me pink » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:36 pm

Marion will probably go also, Brighton stay and OSB and Hackham to battle on as they always do - must be tough but they have been doing it for a while now
strike me pink
Mini-League

Postby Splinter » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:27 pm

Junior Fixture now showing on the SFL website -

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc_pag ... D=42331502
Splinter

Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Luke15 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:24 am

Piss Morphy Parks off next year definitely. Especially if they have taken their Juniors to the SANFL comp.

I noticed no Pt Noarlunga in the 18s comp. That is extremely dissapointing, what is going on down there
Luke15
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby strike me pink » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:59 am

I see from the program that MVP are hosting 2 under 16 matches, why should clubs need to get extra support staff down there for 1 match and let them get all the catering revenue as well.
strike me pink
Mini-League

Postby Dutchy » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:30 am

strike me pink wrote:I see from the program that MVP are hosting 2 under 16 matches, why should clubs need to get extra support staff down there for 1 match and let them get all the catering revenue as well.

Excellent point, MVP are down for u14 games also and I see Marion are getting games as well (including an Aldinga home game v M/Vale!) , why reward these clubs that have wanted nothing to do with the SFL Junior set up?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby strike me pink » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:09 am

Luke15 wrote:Piss Morphy Parks off next year definitely. Especially if they have taken their Juniors to the SANFL comp.

I noticed no Pt Noarlunga in the 18s comp. That is extremely dissapointing, what is going on down there

M/Vale playing them in a trial tomorrow and they have only got 14 Under 16s players so could be in trouble there also.
strike me pink
Mini-League

Postby vics01 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:39 am

Dutchy » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:30 am

strike me pink wrote:
I see from the program that MVP are hosting 2 under 16 matches, why should clubs need to get extra support staff down there for 1 match and let them get all the catering revenue as well.

Excellent point, MVP are down for u14 games also and I see Marion are getting games as well (including an Aldinga home game v M/Vale!) , why reward these clubs that have wanted nothing to do with the SFL Junior set up?

I see on the SFL Face book site they are defending the decision to send junior games to Morphy parks as it cause clubs resources to be stretched when they have their juniors play away from their Seniors when playing at M/Park..

Given M/Park don't have Juniors, it would mean one club is always being stretched by being down there!!
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby WHEELS&DEALS » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:57 pm

vics01 wrote:Dutchy » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:30 am

strike me pink wrote:

I see on the SFL Face book site they are defending the decision to send junior games to Morphy parks as it cause clubs resources to be stretched when they have their juniors play away from their Seniors when playing at M/Park..

Given M/Park don't have Juniors, it would mean one club is always being stretched by being down there!!

Feeling the love guys as usual. Any body think that we were the only club to go to the new SANFL comp. There was 2 others that went as well. I'm pretty sure that just because we don't have juniors it isn't the reason the draw is all over the place. There are a few other clubs that are missing different grades
WHEELS&DEALS
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:18 pm

WHEELS&DEALS wrote:

strike me pink wrote:

Feeling the love guys as usual. Any body think that we were the only club to go to the new SANFL comp. There was 2 others that went as well. I'm pretty sure that just because we don't have juniors it isn't the reason the draw is all over the place. There are a few other clubs that are missing different grades

Difference is 11 clubs are 100% committed to the SFL - your club is not, neither is Marion.
Brighton are fielding all Saturday teams, they have helped cause the Sunday U/16 competition to collapse, but if they continue to field all the grades on Saturday, they are doing all we expect.

We used to whinge about Edwardstown, but at least they contributed U/18 & C-grade teams.

Yes there are other teams not fielding particular grades, but those clubs are completely committed to the SFL at the moment, so our efforts should be to support them, rather than clubs that have shifted their teams elsewhere at the first opportunity.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby Luke15 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:47 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
WHEELS&DEALS wrote:

strike me pink wrote:

Difference is 11 clubs are 100% committed to the SFL - your club is not, neither is Marion.
Brighton are fielding all Saturday teams, they have helped cause the Sunday U/16 competition to collapse, but if they continue to field all the grades on Saturday, they are doing all we expect.

We used to whinge about Edwardstown, but at least they contributed U/18 & C-grade teams.

Yes there are other teams not fielding particular grades, but those clubs are completely committed to the SFL at the moment, so our efforts should be to support them, rather than clubs that have shifted their teams elsewhere at the first opportunity.

Perfect response LGIL. Morphy Parks have not been fully committed to the SFL for a long time
Luke15
Rookie

Postby WHEELS&DEALS » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:27 pm

Feeling the love guys as usual. Any body think that we were the only club to go to the new SANFL comp. There was 2 others that went as well. I'm pretty sure that just because we don't have juniors it isn't the reason the draw is all over the place. There are a few other clubs that are missing different grades[/quote]

Yes there are other teams not fielding particular grades, but those clubs are completely committed to the SFL at the moment, so our efforts should be to support them, rather than clubs that have shifted their teams elsewhere at the first opportunity.[/quote]

Interesting LGIL. If we were that keen to go we would have been the first to join not the last, something you already know. When all the other clubs around us joined up we had no choice. Imagine if C/Beach juniors played in the GSFL when all the clubs around you played in the SFL. What do you think would happen. You wouldn't survive. That's what it would have been like for us. It's about making sure you can keep the doors open and playing in a comp that suits your players and there parents. Only time will tell if the SANFL comp is a success, that will give us something to talk about later.

Edwardstown did have a C grade and an U18's, nice contribution. I'm sure we still had more teams in the SFL than they did. So maybe we have contributed a little more than you think. Also we didn't ask to have other junior games played on our oval in front of our seniors. Happy to help other clubs keep there teams together, but if you think that we are going to make so much more money by hosting 2 U14 and 2 U16 games you are sadly mistaken. Our volunteers will be there to set up the oval clean out the change rooms and give you something to eat and drink if you want. Maybe a Thank you Would have been better than bagging us.
WHEELS&DEALS
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:13 pm

WHEELS&DEALS wrote:Interesting LGIL. If we were that keen to go we would have been the first to join not the last, something you already know. When all the other clubs around us joined up we had no choice. Imagine if C/Beach juniors played in the GSFL when all the clubs around you played in the SFL. What do you think would happen. You wouldn't survive. That's what it would have been like for us. It's about making sure you can keep the doors open and playing in a comp that suits your players and there parents. Only time will tell if the SANFL comp is a success, that will give us something to talk about later.

Edwardstown did have a C grade and an U18's, nice contribution. I'm sure we still had more teams in the SFL than they did. So maybe we have contributed a little more than you think. Also we didn't ask to have other junior games played on our oval in front of our seniors. Happy to help other clubs keep there teams together, but if you think that we are going to make so much more money by hosting 2 U14 and 2 U16 games you are sadly mistaken. Our volunteers will be there to set up the oval clean out the change rooms and give you something to eat and drink if you want. Maybe a Thank you Would have been better than bagging us.

I understand the argument that Marion and Brighton forced your hand, but I don't completely buy it. You had the opportunity to be the point of difference in the area, for the past 29 years you have avoided playing in the parklands competitions and remained in the SFL whilst your neighbours were playing in SAAFL/SAFA/MSJFL etc and you have never been "forced" to go. You and Marion were the only clubs in the SFL north of Majors Road for 4 years and during that time you won an A-Grade premiership, Marion were extremely strong and your juniors grew during that period to become very competitive by the time Mitchell Park joined and then Brighton joined.

I have heard people saying that losing Morphettville Park and Brighton is positive for the Sunday comp - that is fine except we have lost the U/16 comp and now have to deal with the clusterf**k that is the Reynella White situation with wanting games on Sundays and yet again dragging our clubs apart.

I am angry at what is happening to our league, it is in the process of collapsing yet no one seems to care. We need to consolidate it back to communities playing against communities, whole clubs playing together against other whole clubs - that is what our league is based around and why we are not just the 8th division of the parklands league. In 1987 our league gave your club a lifeline when the Southern Metro league folded, now we have the SANFL trying to divide and conquer us and you have taken the bait rather than holding out and allowing us to have greater bargaining power. When you needed a Sunday option to suit your demographic, it was provided, yet at the first opportunity it has been thrown in our face . I am struggling to see a future for the SFL beyond the next five years in its current format. Unless we can recover and retain our clubs as a united unit rather than the soulless senior/junior split you get in town then there is no real point to us remaining a separate competition.

I am not bagging you, you just have completely different requirements to the majority of clubs in the SFL, and it is having a detrimental affect on the league. We are not a standalone senior competion, that is a different league, if Morphettville Park and Marion need to be collateral damage to salvage our league, then it is time for the SFL clubs to look after their self-interest, just like you have done with your juniors.

The example you used above if CBs juniors were playing in the GSFL, the key with that is that they would be playing with our seniors and our club could be one - I am hoping that does not need to be the solution and that we can have that in the SFL.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby Dutchy » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:13 pm

Reynella White are not scheduled to be playing on Sundays in the draw released last week.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby shoe boy » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:40 am

Look good in leather wrote:I understand the argument that Marion and Brighton forced your hand, but I don't completely buy it. You had the opportunity to be the point of difference in the area, for the past 29 years you have avoided playing in the parklands competitions and remained in the SFL whilst your neighbours were playing in SAAFL/SAFA/MSJFL etc and you have never been "forced" to go. You and Marion were the only clubs in the SFL north of Majors Road for 4 years and during that time you won an A-Grade premiership, Marion were extremely strong and your juniors grew during that period to become very competitive by the time Mitchell Park joined and then Brighton joined.

I have heard people saying that losing Morphettville Park and Brighton is positive for the Sunday comp - that is fine except we have lost the U/16 comp and now have to deal with the clusterf**k that is the Reynella White situation with wanting games on Sundays and yet again dragging our clubs apart.

I am angry at what is happening to our league, it is in the process of collapsing yet no one seems to care. We need to consolidate it back to communities playing against communities, whole clubs playing together against other whole clubs - that is what our league is based around and why we are not just the 8th division of the parklands league. In 1987 our league gave your club a lifeline when the Southern Metro league folded, now we have the SANFL trying to divide and conquer us and you have taken the bait rather than holding out and allowing us to have greater bargaining power. When you needed a Sunday option to suit your demographic, it was provided, yet at the first opportunity it has been thrown in our face . I am struggling to see a future for the SFL beyond the next five years in its current format. Unless we can recover and retain our clubs as a united unit rather than the soulless senior/junior split you get in town then there is no real point to us remaining a separate competition.

I am not bagging you, you just have completely different requirements to the majority of clubs in the SFL, and it is having a detrimental affect on the league. We are not a standalone senior competion, that is a different league, if Morphettville Park and Marion need to be collateral damage to salvage our league, then it is time for the SFL clubs to look after their self-interest, just like you have done with your juniors.

The example you used above if CBs juniors were playing in the GSFL, the key with that is that they would be playing with our seniors and our club could be one - I am hoping that does not need to be the solution and that we can have that in the SFL.

LGIL ,could not agree more. =D>
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby twobob » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:11 pm

From a distance i have watched the slow but steady decline in both standard and participation in the SFL. One of the problems i believe is that the SFL has a situation where it has too many teams for one division but not enough teams for two divisions. Maybe cutting ties with Brighton, Marion and Mophettville Park would alleviate this problem. If these teams were to leave SFL then this would leave a 12 team competition and all geographically truly southern sides.

The current model has merit and does a great job of promoting a healthy rivalry within the local football communities. But for this to happen successfully every club requires a full compliment of teams. If any of the above teams are going to place they're juniors in the newly formed SANFL competition then as a league i would be telling them that they should be looking elsewhere for they're seniors also because the situation of seniors in one league and juniors in another is not what the SFL is about.

Some serious thought is required within this league and some changes need to be made to ensure the longevity of this competition. I think the league has to define exactly what they stand for and what audience they are trying capture. They will need to stand strong in their beliefs and deny any club that doesn't want to uphold the belief of the league the right to play within the competition. Its all or nothing and the league needs to be strong and united in promoting football in the southern area. From where i stand its the clubs on the edge of the zone that is creating the divide here and this needs to cease.
twobob
Rookie

Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Wudinna United

Postby Mister Footy » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:00 pm

What I want to know is why Hackham and Lonsdale don't merge? Hackham can say all they like they are not about to close the doors but they have leaks within and I have heard the situation is pretty dire. Lonsdale also struggle in many areas but mostly with facilities which Hackham have got.

Is it because there are too many Lonsdale people at SFL who dont want to see this club merge again or are the clubs just so pig headed and short sighted?

Everyone else in the league can see they dont have a long term future if they don't do something drastic and if it was merge or die would they really prefer to die? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Mister Footy
Under 18s

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL