Country footy history book - every club in SA!

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Country footy history book - every club in SA!

Postby 200 Killer Wasps » Mon May 11, 2015 8:43 pm

Yes, voluntary but haven't been in a position to submit anything as yet.
I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. I can't put it down.
200 Killer Wasps
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Postby 200 Killer Wasps » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:58 pm

'The History of Football in the East Murray District' and the 'South Australian Country Football Digest' will be on sale at the Mindarie Halidon races on Sunday, September 13th.
200 Killer Wasps
League Bench Warmer

Postby 200 Killer Wasps » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:27 pm

A 2015 Update is now available for the South Australian Country Football Digest. 2012, 2013 and 2014 Updates are available as well if you do not have them.

Email bplines@bigpond.com
200 Killer Wasps
League Bench Warmer

Postby mighty hounds » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:15 am

200 Killer Wasps wrote:A 2015 Update is now available for the South Australian Country Football Digest. 2012, 2013 and 2014 Updates are available as well if you do not have them.

Can we still buy this book somewhere in the city?
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:49 am

Dymocks in rundle mall used to have it
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby 200 Killer Wasps » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:10 pm

mighty hounds wrote:
200 Killer Wasps wrote:A 2015 Update is now available for the South Australian Country Football Digest. 2012, 2013 and 2014 Updates are available as well if you do not have them.

Can we still buy this book somewhere in the city?

Just through me at the above email address as I only have a few left.
200 Killer Wasps
League Bench Warmer

Postby 200 Killer Wasps » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:11 pm

I have recently made the decision to produce a new edition of the South Australian Country Football Digest. I think this would be a far better idea rather than doing a reprint of the original Digest. The original Digest is now out of print but I am looking at putting the book on CD so hopefully will continue to sell the book in that form.

Although the South Australian Country Football Digest – Volume II will be written in a similar format to Volume I, I am planning to include all new team and individual photographs and a complete set of new player profiles. It has been five years since the SA Country Football Digest was released and I have continued researching country football records and my findings will be included in the new book along with records from 2012-2016. I have also been forwarded many snippets of info from people who have purchased the first book and found errors or omissions. I have also been sent information on footballers with a substantial involvement in country that were not included in the first book and have already completed profiles on these people ready for the new book.

With my first three books it has been my aim to include every possible record, achievement, special story and interesting anecdote in SA country football. I can only do so much research myself so I am therefore requesting the help of football clubs, footballers, families of footballers, fellow football historians and SA country football followers in general for your help with contributions.

If you have a family member who has a football story to tell please let me know about them and I will write a profile. If you have a relative who has played AFL or SANFL football and originated from country SA send me a photograph of them and tell me their football story for inclusion in the book.

I am also requesting team premiership photographs from all eras of country football. Please email all photographs to me and not post the originals, I would hate to see precious photo's damaged.

I will be adding to the list's of records and bests that appeared in the first book. I probably only received contributions form half of the country clubs in the state, so I am hoping for a better response this time around. Possibly the easiest thing to do is to email to me a photograph of your club's honour board. The categories again are -:

Most games played in a career of country football (Exact total with debut year and retirement year).
Kicking over 100 goals in a season (indicate whether minor round only or with finals)
Most goals kicked in a grand final
Most goals kicked in a match
Most goals kicked in a career (if you know of a player who has kicked a fairly substantial number of goals but don’t know the total let me know his career time frame and I will try to track it down).
Most premierships as a player
Long serving club and league administrators (presidents, secretaries, treasurers and patrons)
Most seasons as a senior coach ( If you know clubs coached only I will follow it up with the clubs concerned)
Most seasons as an A grade captain
Most club best and fairest awards
Highest score kicked by a country football team
Highest score kicked in a grand final
Longest A Grade premiership droughts.
Inter Club rivalries for shields or Cups.
Teams with records for consecutive wins and losses
Most games umpired – Field, boundary and goal
Home ground oval dimensions.

I will again be including a list of footballers who have excelled in other areas. Examples of this category are Australian David Cup tennis player John Fitzgerald who played football for Cummins Ramblers and racehorse trainer David Hayes who played for Angaston. Personally I have played footy with a Paralympian, an Australian Olympic Boxing Team Manager and a Radio and TV personality. So I am fairly sure there would be many others with similar associations.

I am also adding two new categories, Most SA country clubs played for at senior level and Most times a player has kicked more than ten goals in a single game. I will also accept any ideas you may have on other categories.

All photographs and contributions can be emailed to me at bplines@bigpond.com or if you have had a copy made of a photograph it can be sent to me at 46 Lincoln Hwy, Cowell SA 5602.

I am hoping to release Volume II by the end of the year so will probably accept contributions up to the end of September 2016.

Thank you for your time,

Peter Lines
200 Killer Wasps
League Bench Warmer

Postby 200 Killer Wasps » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:39 pm

The new book is coming along nicely thanks to an excellent response to my request for football history from the South Australian country football public.

The one area where I have had the least response is with premiership team photographs. If you have ever played in an A grade premiership and wish to see your 'Moment of Glory' in print, please send me that team photograph. Or if you have team photographs belonging to your father or grandfather then even better as I am looking to cover over 100 years of country football.

Also still accepting additions for the records and best section. Rather than writing down lists of long serving administrators and players just take a photograph of your club's honour board and email it to me. I probably have three quarters of SA country records covered but there are still a few clubs I have never received a response from.

If you have a photograph please email it to me at bplines@bigpond.com

Make sure that your club is represented!.

Thank you

200 Killer Wasps
200 Killer Wasps
League Bench Warmer

Postby 200 Killer Wasps » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:28 pm

The 2016 Updates for the South Australian Country Football Digest. Email bplines@bigpond.com to receive yours.
200 Killer Wasps
League Bench Warmer

Postby 200 Killer Wasps » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:29 am

Very pleased to be able to inform you that my fourth South Australian country history book is now available just in time for Christmas. The 'South Australian Country Football Digest – Volume II is not just an updated version of the original book released in 2012 but a complete reworking of the original format. The new book contains updated records with plenty of newly researched and contributed historical data included with all new photographs and profiles.

The cover of the book is again designed by prominent South Australian country football photographer and journalist, Peter Argent.  Peter has designed the new cover in a similar format to the Volume I edition where prominent South Australian country footballers are depicted as subjects of Collectable Cards.

My previous books, Encyclopedia of South Australian Country Football Clubs and the original South Australian Country Football Digest have both been reprinted and are available once more. The History of Football in the East Murray District can still be purchased as well.

My wife Leanne, was diagnosed with Breast Cancer five years ago. Following surgery, chemotherapy and a long period of uncertainty she has now fully recovered. Extremely grateful for the care and support given, I am donating $5.00 from the sale of each book to Cancer Council SA.

You can come and meet me in person at Dymocks on Monday, December 4th, where I will be signing copies of his new book from 10 am. The books can also be ordered directly from me by phone 0438 819 391 or by emailing me at bplines@bigpond.com

They are also available from -:
Clare Newsagency
Murray Bridge Newsagency & Toyworld
East Murray Area School
Sportspower Loxton
Megs Bookshop - Port Pirie & Kadina
Matilda Bookshop - Stirling 
Tumby Bay Newsagency
The Strand Bookshop & Records - Port Elliot
Sportspower Millicent
Premier Sports Berri
Collins Bookstores - Mount Gambier
Beers Newsagency - Port Lincoln

Thank you

Peter Lines
200 Killer Wasps
League Bench Warmer

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:44 am

200 Killer Wasps wrote:Very pleased to be able to inform you that my fourth South Australian country history book is now available just in time for Christmas. The 'South Australian Country Football Digest – Volume II is not just an updated version of the original book released in 2012 but a complete reworking of the original format. The new book contains updated records with plenty of newly researched and contributed historical data included with all new photographs and profiles.

The cover of the book is again designed by prominent South Australian country football photographer and journalist, Peter Argent.  Peter has designed the new cover in a similar format to the Volume I edition where prominent South Australian country footballers are depicted as subjects of Collectable Cards.

My previous books, Encyclopedia of South Australian Country Football Clubs and the original South Australian Country Football Digest have both been reprinted and are available once more. The History of Football in the East Murray District can still be purchased as well.

My wife Leanne, was diagnosed with Breast Cancer five years ago. Following surgery, chemotherapy and a long period of uncertainty she has now fully recovered. Extremely grateful for the care and support given, I am donating $5.00 from the sale of each book to Cancer Council SA.

You can come and meet me in person at Dymocks on Monday, December 4th, where I will be signing copies of his new book from 10 am. The books can also be ordered directly from me by phone 0438 819 391 or by emailing me at bplines@bigpond.com

They are also available from -:
Clare Newsagency
Murray Bridge Newsagency & Toyworld
East Murray Area School
Sportspower Loxton
Megs Bookshop - Port Pirie & Kadina
Matilda Bookshop - Stirling 
Tumby Bay Newsagency
The Strand Bookshop & Records - Port Elliot
Sportspower Millicent
Premier Sports Berri
Collins Bookstores - Mount Gambier
Beers Newsagency - Port Lincoln

Thank you

Peter Lines

Dymocks Rundle Mall? How Much ?
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby 200 Killer Wasps » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:50 am

$50.00
200 Killer Wasps
League Bench Warmer

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:58 am

Great work Peter!

Congratulations on the wonderful news concerning your wife, I couldn't imagine the torment you have both been through.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:09 am

That's great news about Leanne, Plussy!
And excellent news that you've put together an updated book. I love your passion.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby 200 Killer Wasps » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:16 pm

As from next week the 'South Australian Country Football Digest - Volume II will be available from the following outlets -:

Spry's Newsagency - Ceduna
Kingscote Newsagency
Westside Newsagency - Port Augusta
Lameroo Newsagency
Balaklava Newsagency
Cowell Newsagency
Naracoorte Newsagency
Gawler Books
Karoonda Newsagency

Hope to be able to add a few more in the next week, Watch this space.
200 Killer Wasps
League Bench Warmer

Postby old fullback » Sun May 20, 2018 5:31 pm

I just grabbed a copy from the newsagency at Mt Barker S.A. to go with my first edition, Bloody Brilliant.
old fullback
Under 18s

Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby Benchwarmer » Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:08 pm

I see Peter has recently released a new book about Goalkickers from country leagues around the state from over the years.

I look forward to grabbing a copy.
Benchwarmer
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Callington

Postby 200 Killer Wasps » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:26 pm

Yes I have released a new book just before Christmas.

The new book, 'South Australian Country Football Digest – Leading Goalkickers' contains leading goalkicking lists for all current leagues and a number of past leagues.  In most instances I have recorded first, second and third placings and a written profile for every leading goalkicker, and as with past books included plenty of photos.  There is also a Goalkicking records section in the book which contains a list of the 'Top 200' greatest SA country football goalkickers.

I have a Facebook page, South Australian Country Football Digest, which provides more details about the new book. You can order a copy by contacting me at bplines@bigpond.com or I can direct you to your nearest outlet selling the book.

Peter Lines
Attachments
Front Cover Final.JPG
Front Cover Final.JPG (51.27 KiB) Viewed 2367 times
200 Killer Wasps
League Bench Warmer

Previous

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy