Round 2- South v Eagles (Noarlunga, Sunday)

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Round 2- South v Eagles (Noarlunga, Sunday)

Postby saintal » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:16 pm

arcadefire wrote:What happened to Wundke...didn't see him after half time..is he injured???

Insert gag here about the big fella visiting the pie cart at half time and not returning.. :oops:
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Keefy » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:18 pm

saintal wrote:
arcadefire wrote:What happened to Wundke...didn't see him after half time..is he injured???

Insert gag here about the big fella visiting the pie cart at half time and not returning.. :oops:

I did see him go into the rooms at one stage

Ainger disappeared in there too during the match
Keefy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 182 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby southee » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:11 pm

Keefy wrote:
saintal wrote:

I did see him go into the rooms at one stage

Ainger disappeared in there too during the match

Did someone say "boo" to Ainger?
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

Postby scott » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:14 pm

saintal wrote:First time I've seen the new OOB rule. I recall reading an article from the SANFL when the rule was implemented saying the average from the games they surveyed in 2015 was no more than 3 or 4 instances, which seemed low. The Eagles would have given South close to 10 freebies today by playing a very indirect brand of footy.

Close. OOB Frees were 12-2 South's way today, including 6-1 in the third term.

Eagles led the inside 50s 6-1 after 10 mins and I thought it was going to be a long day, but we won the entries 47-22 after that so could have won by a lot more.

Wundke had 3.0 from 5 disposals after 13 mins and had 7 by quarter time. Had a handball in the second and gave away a free in the third and that was it. Don't think he was injured?

Was really impressed with Overall today. Kicked three goals and ran well up the ground to win the ball and his defensive pressure was very good.

Our pressure and tackling was again excellent - 76 tackles today after 70-odd last week as well.
scott
Veteran

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby blueandwhite » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:20 pm

A great win for the club today..
After conceding the first 4 goals of the game to the Eagles, 2-3 from very dubious free kicks at point blank range, South controlled the rest of the game from the 20 minute mark of the first quarter . It was South 3.4 - WWT 5.1 at quarter time. After that time and a severe bake from Coach Gotch the Panthers kicked 11.8 to WWT 2.1 for the rest of the game, to run out comfortable winners by 43 pts.
Souths best were Liddell, Daniel and Haren but it was really a great all round team effort and a great result after such an ordinary start. I also though Bass was exceptional at the stoppages; and Cross was good despite being thrown to the ground off the ball at many stoppages.
For the Eagles Boyd was his busy self as usual particularly in the first half until Seccull put the clamps on him. Ainger and Wundke were soundly beaten despite Wundke managing the first 3 goals of the game. Wundke left the game after his troublesome groin flared up again. I wonder if its the same recurring injury he had when he left South a few years ago????? Redden is not fit and his knee problems are far from over Id suggest.

Bring on the bloods..Go Yeohs..!! :)
Tiocfaidh ár Lá
blueandwhite
League - Best 21

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 218 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby therisingblues » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:23 pm

All them meat pies and Easter eggs he was munching out on at Unley last week finally caught up with him. We tried to warn him but he seemed to think that because he was kicking goals that he knew better than us.
Ignore the advice of the Unley crowd at your own peril. ;)
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Keefy » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:23 pm

scott wrote:
saintal wrote:First time I've seen the new OOB rule. I recall reading an article from the SANFL when the rule was implemented saying the average from the games they surveyed in 2015 was no more than 3 or 4 instances, which seemed low. The Eagles would have given South close to 10 freebies today by playing a very indirect brand of footy.

Close. OOB Frees were 12-2 South's way today, including 6-1 in the third term.

Eagles led the inside 50s 6-1 after 10 mins and I thought it was going to be a long day, but we won the entries 47-22 after that so could have won by a lot more.

Wundke had 3.0 from 5 disposals after 13 mins and had 7 by quarter time. Had a handball in the second and gave away a free in the third and that was it. Don't think he was injured?

Was really impressed with Overall today. Kicked three goals and ran well up the ground to win the ball and his defensive pressure was very good.

Our pressure and tackling was again excellent - 76 tackles today after 70-odd last week as well.

The relentless pressure and tackling was fantastic.

Not only that but at times made the Eagles rack up possessions across halfback without going forward which resulted at times in numerous ballups which shows great forward pressure.
Keefy
League - Best 21

Postby wedgetail » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:58 pm

saintal wrote:Goal Kickers: S. Overall 3, N. Liddle 2, C. Hitchcock 2, B. Eddy 2, N. Daniel, E. Irra, M. Rankine, B. Haren, A. Gulden
Best Players: N. Liddle, M. Rankine, B. Haren, T. Fields, B. Seccull, A. Gulden

Very good win after a slow start, kicking 13 of the final 16 goals. Eagles got a fast start with some help from the men in green, but South clawed their way back into the game late in the first and never looked back. Surprised Crabb wasn't named in the best. LIddle the standout, one of Haren's better games for the club, didn't have too many passengers.

First time I've seen the new OOB rule. I recall reading an article from the SANFL when the rule was implemented saying the average from the games they surveyed in 2015 was no more than 3 or 4 instances, which seemed low. The Eagles would have given South close to 10 freebies today by playing a very indirect brand of footy.

Eagles took an eternity to leave the oval after huddling on the outer wing. Any specific reason?

Promising signs. A long way to go.

Boyd badly injured on the outer wing near the end of the game (Shoulder?, Ribs? Punctured lung?) and the rest of the team went to support him.
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation
wedgetail
Under 18s

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby wedgetail » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:01 pm

saintal wrote:

Wundke had a massive bruise on the inside of his thigh which may or may not have caused him to miss most of the second half. His groin was also strapped.
wedgetail
Under 18s

Postby wedgetail » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:07 pm

EAgles back to bad habits after the first 15 mins today. Indirect, slow ball movement and poor skill level. Some errors caused by south's pressure which was good today. I believe it was south's first win at HO in 6 years against the Eagles as we normally play well there. south too good today and the Eags will need to make more changes due to injury next week. SANFL sides seem to struggle with the 6 day break and south was running all over us in the end.
wedgetail
Under 18s

Postby Bounce of the ball » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:15 pm

Regardless of all that , South are a good team. I said that last week and I imagine top 3 without injury,
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby Wolf Pack » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:17 pm

So South start the season with 3 HOME games in a row.....
WTF!!!!
Wolf Pack
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Postby Keefy » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:26 pm

Wolf Pack wrote:So South start the season with 3 HOME games in a row.....
WTF!!!!

Today's game was meant to be played at Woodville but the Eagles requested a change as they reckon the ground wouldn't be ready after hosting the district grand final.

Can't see why considering Glenelg hosted the Shield final which only finished Wednesday and they moved the game from Friday to today
Keefy
League - Best 21

Postby Wolf Pack » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:33 pm

I guess it won't matter really.
Westies are horribly out of touch.......
Wolf Pack
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Postby Scoop » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:01 pm

wedgetail wrote:
saintal wrote:

Wundke had a massive bruise on the inside of his thigh which may or may not have caused him to miss most of the second half. His groin was also strapped.

Chafing? :lol:
Insanity Multimedia and Nick Hook Photography
Scoop
Rookie

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby Wedgie » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:08 pm

Wundke hurt his quad but not too severely.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Wedgie » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:12 pm

Boyd copped an accidental knee to the rib cage from Joel Cross, was chucking up as was Joel Cross from another hit. Boyd should be OK unless he's broken a rib.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby blueandwhite » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:51 am

Obviously something I missed yesterday....I note from the report in todays Advertiser ,that South debuted Sam Overalls brother yesterday.-Simon Overall...I didnt notice him but apparently he kicked 3 goals....funny he looked a lot like Sam.. :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll:
Tiocfaidh ár Lá
blueandwhite
League - Best 21

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 218 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby Keefy » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:20 pm

Wedgie wrote:Boyd copped an accidental knee to the rib cage from Joel Cross, was chucking up as was Joel Cross from another hit. Boyd should be OK unless he's broken a rib.

Both Boyd and Wundke to have a scan to see the extent of their injuries
Keefy
League - Best 21

Postby Keefy » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:20 pm

Anyone get a crowd figure?
Keefy
League - Best 21

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL