No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Has liked: 513 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Re: R3: Eagles v Adelaide - Sunday 10 April @ Maughan Thiem

Postby goddy11 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:48 am

I rolled up on Sunday expecting a good game despite the Eagles poor performance the week before. The Eagles first half was very good. They matched the Crows all over the field in general play but as mentioned before, over did the handball. The ratio should have been reversed. They need to fix this up asap.
My first thoughts of when the teams lined up was the massive size of the Crows compared to the Eagles players. The Eagles defense was undersized and yet performed well. In the second half the fitness and size were he major contributing factor. The Crows captain Carey impressed me. He's a big unit and looks like he could play a higher level. Westies will be ruing the loss of Jono Beech. I'm sure he will get an AFL game .

The free for the Eagles were because of the fierce tackling, one of the real positives Godden has instilled. One thing about the against frees is whether they include the frees for out of bounds. This has cost the Eagle in all their matches this year where they do not hit the player and the ball just goes out untouched. The frees for and against ratio would look worse if you take these out.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 559 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby VALE PARK » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:02 am

Interesting question,what is more important for success quality kicking or quality tackling?
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby DOC » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:19 am

VALE PARK wrote:Interesting question,what is more important for success quality kicking or quality tackling?

Great question. I lean towards kicking.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby human_torpedo » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:43 am

DOC wrote:
VALE PARK wrote:Interesting question,what is more important for success quality kicking or quality tackling?

Great question. I lean towards kicking.

Its an interesting thought, but its really a case of no point having one without the other.. Tackle the life out of the opposition, yet you cant kick so you just give it straight back to them.. Or, never miss a target but have no defensive pressure to get the footy in your hands.. The old chicken/egg and which came first..

I'd take kicking, because its easier to learn to tackle than be an elite kick..
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby human_torpedo » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:48 am

On Sundays game, I think the Eagles were actually quite good. But just out worked by superior size and fitness in the end, which is always going to happen when the opposition is stacked full of that kind of quality.. The handball - kick ratio was higher than usual, however it was almost necessary due to the press the Crows implemented. Couple that with the tricky cross breeze and kicking through the press would have been fraught with danger, so they handballed their way through it, and it worked to a degree, its just such an energy sapping way of playing and it showed in the end as the Crows just wore them down.. If we play like that every week I think we beat most sides to be honest, so its not all doom and gloom as compared to the Noarlunga debacle the week before..
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby Pseudo » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:55 am

Depends. Are we talking Aussie Rules or Rugby League?
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Dutchy » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:39 pm

Need both, although any player can become a quality tackler, not the case with kicking.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Magellan » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:26 pm

Both if you're into MMA.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Mickyj » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:30 pm

human_torpedo wrote:On Sundays game, I think the Eagles were actually quite good. But just out worked by superior size and fitness in the end, which is always going to happen when the opposition is stacked full of that kind of quality.. The handball - kick ratio was higher than usual, however it was almost necessary due to the press the Crows implemented. Couple that with the tricky cross breeze and kicking through the press would have been fraught with danger, so they handballed their way through it, and it worked to a degree, its just such an energy sapping way of playing and it showed in the end as the Crows just wore them down.. If we play like that every week I think we beat most sides to be honest, so its not all doom and gloom as compared to the Noarlunga debacle the week before..

Ok I'm over Sunday's game
But looking back Eagles were better than I expected after the south shambles
Crows should have won by a lot more so many more shots on goals . At the game my eldest did point out the AFL teams have to play all of their talks every game . While they won that was a big let down don't think the tall players skills were that good . Neither were crows players taking chest marks either . One more criticism or two of the crowd VB dropped on his SANFL form would be awhile off playing AFL again and Henderson my eldest pointed out again he appeared to be playing like he was to good to be in the SANFL . Or he wasn't playing like a team player .
Eagles now I thought with the outs the forward line would be an issue . Yeah I was wrong small quick forwards hurt the crows as did Ainger .
Now while Ainger didn't mark all contests he got the ball down and the likes of Yarrin were feeding off him .
Eagles I'm afraid the likes of Jarrad need to know the long kick to the boundary line is now a free kick to the other team .
And the handball running game looks great when it works but calling for the handball in the backline with your player on you leads to a holding the ball over and over .
Crows won the better team
But pace by the likes of Boyd troubled them
The running game troubled them
And the big men not sure they are SANFL standard
The top up players dropped easy chest marks as well
Land based Lure Bream Fisherman
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 22 times

Postby holden78 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:33 pm

Glad i dident go stuff the GAYFL teams , i havent been to a game this year and i dont intend to go to any until the candys and pap smears r out of the comp
holden78
League - Best 21

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 55 times

Postby Dog_ger2 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:07 pm

Something has to be done to the new SANFL.

This isn't going to work.

I think we need 10 teams but "No AFL in the SANFL"
Dog_ger2
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 17 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury North

Postby Mickyj » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:39 pm

holden78 wrote:Glad i dident go stuff the GAYFL teams , i havent been to a game this year and i dont intend to go to any until the candys and pap smears r out of the comp

Your choice and id love them to go
But for you it's like banging your head into a wall
Gee I know what a head hitting a door and floor does not good
Land based Lure Bream Fisherman
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 22 times

Postby stan » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:53 am

Dog_ger2 wrote:Something has to be done to the new SANFL.

This isn't going to work.

I think we need 10 teams but "No AFL in the SANFL"

Would you settle for 8?
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby goddy11 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:17 am

8 teams play each other 3 times per year. 21 rounds with no byes . Sounds to much for SANFL bosses to comprehend.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 559 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby Magellan » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:53 pm

holden78 wrote:Glad i dident go stuff the GAYFL teams , i havent been to a game this year and i dont intend to go to any until the candys and pap smears r out of the comp

I think you'll need to take up another winter spectator sport.

Also, I'm not sure what the 'GAYFL' is, but stuffing them might be exactly what they want.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL