Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby heater31 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:42 pm

oyster wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:
The Hound wrote:Would of thought that SACA would of had every scenario covered considering their financial position over the clubs. If it does go down the legal path have the clubs got the $$ to cover their expenses and if they win will they have any left over to run a club effectively?

Good point Hound. Last thing Clubs can afford is massive Legal bills, but both Clubs have high profile people helping out, so costs low at this stage.

As Gough famously said, with a slight change.
Ladies and gentlemen, well may we say 'God Save the Queen', because nothing will save the SACA board now.
None of the SACA board would've had any idea of the flak they would cop. Gladly I can say, what they've copped so far, is only a drop in the ocean to what is planned over the next few months.

Take University out of this equation.....

How do you propose Port Adelaide address their junior participation issues? They have **** all schools to draw from yet nobody wants to change anything :shock: To a lesser extent Woodville are going down the same path at Port. Redistribute the zones and it becomes a less of a problem and they move onto a bigger issue of capturing the population of Mt Barker by relocating a club up the hill.......That one is going to be costly as their is no suitable ground to locate a club up there at present.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby oyster » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:46 am

heater31 wrote:
oyster wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:
The Hound wrote:Would of thought that SACA would of had every scenario covered considering their financial position over the clubs. If it does go down the legal path have the clubs got the $$ to cover their expenses and if they win will they have any left over to run a club effectively?

Good point Hound. Last thing Clubs can afford is massive Legal bills, but both Clubs have high profile people helping out, so costs low at this stage.

As Gough famously said, with a slight change.
Ladies and gentlemen, well may we say 'God Save the Queen', because nothing will save the SACA board now.
None of the SACA board would've had any idea of the flak they would cop. Gladly I can say, what they've copped so far, is only a drop in the ocean to what is planned over the next few months.

Take University out of this equation.....

How do you propose Port Adelaide address their junior participation issues? They have **** all schools to draw from yet nobody wants to change anything :shock: To a lesser extent Woodville are going down the same path at Port. Redistribute the zones and it becomes a less of a problem and they move onto a bigger issue of capturing the population of Mt Barker by relocating a club up the hill.......That one is going to be costly as their is no suitable ground to locate a club up there at present.

Could not agree more about the redistribution of the zones. West Torrens have good schools in their area but the swampys have none.
West Torrens have Yorke Peninsula to get their kids from and a lot come down from the Yorke Peninsula.
Port have the Eyre Peninsula. If they were any further away they would be in Western Australia. Hard to entice kids from the EP to play cricket.
The swampys have no schools in their area and they've been given the furtherest away zone in the state to get kids from.
oyster
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 20 times

Postby Footy Smart » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:03 pm

So have I got these facts right -
1. WT and PA have agreed to discuss a merger as proposed by SACA, although they both have publicly said they have no intention of merging?
2. They have also stated that they have 'big backing' who will tell SACA what to do?
3. SACA has said that if no merger is completed, one side will be pushed and the remaining club get heavily reduced financial support from SACA?
4. WT will poach numerous players from all clubs who have approached Kelvin Smith?

So hypnotically, should the 'white knight' not save WT or PA, both clubs could end up disappearing in the not too distant future as the surviving club will fall over eventually due to considerable funding reduction? While I don’t envy the position you’re in at all and I think some other clubs could/should be in the gun, but you could be cutting off your nose to spite your face….
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby Aerie » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:49 pm

Footy Smart wrote:So have I got these facts right -
1. WT and PA have agreed to discuss a merger as proposed by SACA, although they both have publicly said they have no intention of merging?
2. They have also stated that they have 'big backing' who will tell SACA what to do?
3. SACA has said that if no merger is completed, one side will be pushed and the remaining club get heavily reduced financial support from SACA?
4. WT will poach numerous players from all clubs who have approached Kelvin Smith?

So hypnotically, should the 'white knight' not save WT or PA, both clubs could end up disappearing in the not too distant future as the surviving club will fall over eventually due to considerable funding reduction? While I don’t envy the position you’re in at all and I think some other clubs could/should be in the gun, but you could be cutting off your nose to spite your face….

Number 1 the talks start soon and if a suitable arrangement can be made, I'm sure a merger could take place.

Number 2 I'm not sure any club have publicly said this. There is support from various government people, councils etc. Wait and see.

Number 3 is true.

Number 4 is rubbish.

Yes, the SACA have put both clubs under the pump to the point both could be lost if they get their way. A forced and unwanted merger is no better than SACA making up a brand new (or existing) club to plonk somewhere (like Cnr Tapleys Hill and Burbridge Rd).

SACA have ballsed this up completely. They are a complete shambles.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby backoftheroom » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:45 am

WEST END REDBACKS FINAL SQUAD 2016-17

1. Travis Head (c)
2. Tom Andrews
3. Nick Benton
4. Alex Carey
5. Callum Ferguson
6. Jake Lehmann
7. Tim Ludeman
8. Joe Mennie
9. Patrick Page Jr.
10. Sam Raphael
11. Kane Richardson
12. Alex Ross
13. Chadd Sayers
14. Kelvin Smith
15. Jake Weatherald
16. Daniel Worrall
17. Adam Zampa

ROOKIES
1. Wes Agar
2. John Dalton
3. David Grant
4. Alex Gregory
5. Harry Nielsen
6. Cameron Valente

In: Alex Carey, Jake Weatherald, Patrick Page Jr, Tom Andrews
Out: Tom Cooper, Mark Cosgrove, Gary Putland, Nick Winter

Thoughts?
backoftheroom

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:51 am

Really pleased with the tough calls made on Cosgrove and Cooper. Both proven Shield players but have fallen out of form. This decision means we have to back the youngsters in which is great.

Seems to be a stronger South Australian flavour in the squad compared to other years plus some of our "imports" like Andrews, Richardson, Ross actually moved to SA in their teens so we have a strong stake in their development.

No longer seem to be trying to buy a flag. Instead developing our own which is refreshing.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby RB » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:54 pm

I think Cossie's a bit unlucky. His numbers this year aren't that bad and he generally batted for a reasonable while, as you want an opener to do. I would have thought they would have wanted an experienced opener to bat with Weatherald.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby heater31 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:59 pm

RB wrote:I think Cossie's a bit unlucky. His numbers this year aren't that bad and he generally batted for a reasonable while, as you want an opener to do. I would have thought they would have wanted an experienced opener to bat with Weatherald.

Yeah but why waste a spot on a bloke that is playing in England on a British passport? Let his County club pay him 40,000 to 50,000 pounds then pick him if form or need warrants it. If he does well enough to play 3 Shield matches or more he gets a pro rata base deal anyway. Smart move by the Redbacks and I'm sure Mark understands where they are coming from.
heater31

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:18 pm

RB wrote:I think Cossie's a bit unlucky. His numbers this year aren't that bad and he generally batted for a reasonable while, as you want an opener to do. I would have thought they would have wanted an experienced opener to bat with Weatherald.

Averaged 27.

Looked to be a fading force in first class cricket.

Tough call but right call IMO.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby backoftheroom » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:42 pm

I agree with the Cosgrove decision, tough to make but had to be done. Cooper I'm less convinced with. Has played International cricket, as well as being one of the more consistent SA players in the past few years with the exception of last year obviously. Places a lot of pressure on Head and Ferguson now to not only perform but also lead a very young group.

Page getting a contract is a bit odd for me, had a reputation in grade cricket for getting frustrated and trying to slog his way out of it, if he gets that in grade cricket how will he go at the next level? Same can be said for Dalton, I'm told there is some serious questions over his work ethic as well, but I'm sure Siddons will fix that in a hurry.

Bowling stocks looks good though, especially the quicks.
backoftheroom

Postby Lame Choice » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:29 pm

What happened to Opie, after playing the finals series would have thought he'd at least make the squad.
"As long as I live, I will deny taking performance enhancing drugs" Lance Armstrong 2010
Lame Choice
Under 16s

Been liked: 30 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:52 pm

Lame Choice wrote:What happened to Opie, after playing the finals series would have thought he'd at least make the squad.

Too old to be a rookie (think you have to be under 23), and no spots on main list.

Like Cossie and Cooper, can still get a game next year, and if plays three will get part contract.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby Lame Choice » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:31 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:
Lame Choice wrote:What happened to Opie, after playing the finals series would have thought he'd at least make the squad.

Too old to be a rookie (think you have to be under 23), and no spots on main list.

Like Cossie and Cooper, can still get a game next year, and if plays three will get part contract.

Fair enough.
I reckon CA should halve their silk tie allowance and push down cash to have bigger lists then. Who is going to put in hours for a potential part contract? Clearly they will use more than 17 players.
"As long as I live, I will deny taking performance enhancing drugs" Lance Armstrong 2010
Lame Choice
Under 16s

Been liked: 30 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:03 pm

Pretty lean lists nowadays. Reckon they have fewer players but pay them more.

Cooper is a class player but I heard (maybe on here?) that the Hughes incident really knocked him around. Has struggled since then.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Aerie » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:37 pm

How much do the Premier League players get paid (if anything)?

There is already 17 full contracts, plus 6 rookie contracts, plus 24 in the Emerging Redbacks squad. Then if any were on Australian contracts. That would just about make up the 4 SA Premier League teams.

You also have the recent ACA initiative of paying one ex-first class cricketer per Grade club $15k or whatever it is.

That isn't a bad base to build from.

The hole is (and I'm not sure how to fix it) keeping the 25-35 age ranged quality Grade cricketers involved in the Grade system to keep the standard up, pass on skills/advice etc. for the good young players coming through to add depth to those in the elite squads above.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby The Hound » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:09 pm

Well 1 week in for the SACA board to be "rattled", only 1 week to go before the fireworks happen, have my pop corn ready:)
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby heater31 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:22 pm

The Hound wrote:Well 1 week in for the SACA board to be "rattled", only 1 week to go before the fireworks happen, have my pop corn ready:)

So do I......

Had a chat with the former SACA VP at a function last week. He agrees its not fair (I suspect this debacle has a fair bit to do with his resignation as he was heavily involved with formation of the SMA and now the mergers has taken its toll) but does raise this valid point. The pool of kids each club has to select its players.......TTG has twice as many under 14s at the club involved in various programs than Port Adelaide has to select its 2 Saturday teams
heater31

Postby oyster » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:52 pm

heater31 wrote:
The Hound wrote:Well 1 week in for the SACA board to be "rattled", only 1 week to go before the fireworks happen, have my pop corn ready:)

So do I......

Had a chat with the former SACA VP at a function last week. He agrees its not fair (I suspect this debacle has a fair bit to do with his resignation as he was heavily involved with formation of the SMA and now the mergers has taken its toll) but does raise this valid point. The pool of kids each club has to select its players.......TTG has twice as many under 14s at the club involved in various programs than Port Adelaide has to select its 2 Saturday teams

Yes the fireworks are about to start
Get the popcorn out, put the beers on ice and get the deck chairs out ready for the long haul.

Gullies do have more juniors than most, but down in the West Torrens zone, there are a heap of schools. Down in swampy land they have no schools. Two I think in their area. Blame the SACA for the distribution of zones and areas. Give the swampys more schools to pick from. Also in discussions since this whole debacle began, I've spoken to a fair few swampys. They only have the Eyre Peninsula to get their country kids from. They are jacked off being given the furtherest away zone in the state. They reckon its a near on impossibility to get a young guy to Adelaide to play cricket. They make a fair point. Torrens have Yorke Peninsula, and thats not too bad. Try getting a kid to come to Adelaide from Ceduna? Good luck with that?
The SACA gave Port the hardest junior zone in the state to look after. Melbourne is closer than both Port Lincoln and Ceduna.
oyster
Rookie

Postby bulldogs » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:03 am

I always get a laugh about zones. Zones in SACA are a joke. I am tied up with a turf club and have seen in previous years boys from our juniors play 14 or 16s in the same year at TTG, Jets, ET , prospect and woodville. These lads were playing for teams outside of their zone.
SACA should seriously look at one team per junior grade. Have your best players in each zones in the squad of say 16. Work with these kids and give them your best coaching. It should be elite not a money revenue. As a community club I see players that will struggle to play cgrade for community teams when they get older playing 14s or 16s white. These kids should be left to move thru the community ranks not on district clubs books taking up coaching. Get the best and work with em. Back to zones if you want a player outside your zone you do a swap or pay coin just like sanfl
bulldogs
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 15 times

Postby Computer Crashed » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:02 am

bulldogs wrote:I always get a laugh about zones. Zones in SACA are a joke. I am tied up with a turf club and have seen in previous years boys from our juniors play 14 or 16s in the same year at TTG, Jets, ET , prospect and woodville. These lads were playing for teams outside of their zone.
SACA should seriously look at one team per junior grade. Have your best players in each zones in the squad of say 16. Work with these kids and give them your best coaching. It should be elite not a money revenue. As a community club I see players that will struggle to play cgrade for community teams when they get older playing 14s or 16s white. These kids should be left to move thru the community ranks not on district clubs books taking up coaching. Get the best and work with em. Back to zones if you want a player outside your zone you do a swap or pay coin just like sanfl

What do you think you are doing Bulldogs ?
You can't come on this thread and talk the truth, you will get shot down in flames.
Money spinner - surely not.
Have one side per grade in district clubs for better attention to detail in coaching - surely not.
Stop making sense you crazy person.
Computer Crashed
Reserves

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times
Grassroots Team: Moonta

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps