Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby heater31 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:09 am

bulldogs wrote:I always get a laugh about zones. Zones in SACA are a joke. I am tied up with a turf club and have seen in previous years boys from our juniors play 14 or 16s in the same year at TTG, Jets, ET , prospect and woodville. These lads were playing for teams outside of their zone.
SACA should seriously look at one team per junior grade. Have your best players in each zones in the squad of say 16. Work with these kids and give them your best coaching. It should be elite not a money revenue. As a community club I see players that will struggle to play cgrade for community teams when they get older playing 14s or 16s white. These kids should be left to move thru the community ranks not on district clubs books taking up coaching. Get the best and work with em. Back to zones if you want a player outside your zone you do a swap or pay coin just like sanfl

Jason Gillespie says hello.....

The whites grade is a development tool for the bottom age kids. Without spending time in a Grade system these kids miss out on coaching and development against talented kids
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Computer Crashed » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:02 am

heater31 wrote:
bulldogs wrote:I always get a laugh about zones. Zones in SACA are a joke. I am tied up with a turf club and have seen in previous years boys from our juniors play 14 or 16s in the same year at TTG, Jets, ET , prospect and woodville. These lads were playing for teams outside of their zone.
SACA should seriously look at one team per junior grade. Have your best players in each zones in the squad of say 16. Work with these kids and give them your best coaching. It should be elite not a money revenue. As a community club I see players that will struggle to play cgrade for community teams when they get older playing 14s or 16s white. These kids should be left to move thru the community ranks not on district clubs books taking up coaching. Get the best and work with em. Back to zones if you want a player outside your zone you do a swap or pay coin just like sanfl

The whites grade is a development tool for the bottom age kids. Without spending time in a Grade system these kids miss out on coaching and development against talented kids

Rubbish.
Whites are topped up with very average cricketers that will never go anywhere in cricket.
It's a money grab Heater.
If you think there isn't a better way to restructure junior district cricket then you have blinkers on, and you know it.
Been there and coached at the U/16 level for a couple of years.
Only people that think the junior structure is good are the district clubs board members and die hard club stalwarts.
It stinks.
Computer Crashed
Reserves

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times
Grassroots Team: Moonta

Postby heater31 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:11 am

You know what stinks? It is the demand of College kids taken out of this club setup that necessitate the need for 'average' cricketers.

Some clubs have half a team missing for majority of the season forcing them to select up to half a dozen or more to fill sides.

It gets worse, Schools not known for their sport programs are now wanting to get in on this action. Half their team are poor Community Cricketers at best.
heater31

Postby Aerie » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:29 am

Bulldogs has a point. As does heater as there are the Gillespie's and George's that take time to develop. I think for some clubs a smaller pool would work better and for others the larger pool works well. There should be flexibility.

Either way, there are plenty of things SACA could be doing to strengthen cricket before removing two clubs. The structure of Grade cricket hasn't changed for as long as I remember. Just the addition of "premier league" currently and in the past. Perhaps with premier league being used now for juniors as well, Grade Cricket becomes less relevant?

The quality of coaching you get could be better at a community club depending on who is involved.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 506 times

Postby heater31 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:03 pm

Aerie wrote:The quality of coaching you get could be better at a community club depending on who is involved.

Depending on the club. Grade Clubs obviously have the means to offer significant payments

In my experience Head Junior coaches who do not have children of their own at the club work best. Its the Supporting coach role that are the most difficult to find as often they are not paid and a Dad of one of the kids in the team.
heater31

Postby The Hound » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:11 pm

Computer Crashed wrote:
heater31 wrote:

Rubbish.
Whites are topped up with very average cricketers that will never go anywhere in cricket.
It's a money grab Heater.
If you think there isn't a better way to restructure junior district cricket then you have blinkers on, and you know it.Been there and coached at the U/16 level for a couple of years.
Only people that think the junior structure is good are the district clubs board members and die hard club stalwarts.
It stinks.

I know of 2 proposals put to the other clubs over the years via the Grade Cricket Committee to address the junior issues but guess what neither get voted in because of the die hard club stalwarts on said committee who don't like change :evil: .

And people wonder why Adelaide High School has a decent cricket side and beat the so called elite First X1's, cause there better players get to play for their Premier club 16 Reds or seniors on a Saturday arvo. rather than not play for anything at all and have an umpire also scoring on the field :oops:
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby Computer Crashed » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:45 pm

heater31 wrote:You know what stinks? It is the demand of College kids taken out of this club setup that necessitate the need for 'average' cricketers.

Some clubs have half a team missing for majority of the season forcing them to select up to half a dozen or more to fill sides.

It gets worse, Schools not known for their sport programs are now wanting to get in on this action. Half their team are poor Community Cricketers at best.

Absolutely right re the College kids and the lack of numbers, that is why whites should be abolished.
Not enough good cricketers going around and time is wasted coaching crap cricketers in the whites,clubs should have a squad in 14s & 16s as Bulldogs mentioned.
As soon as someone has the balls to pull the pin on the whites the better.
But then the clubs won't want it because it's a cash flow.
College lads pay their subs and play half the year,then the crap top up players pay their subs as well to fill the void.
Cut the costs by having less sides and actually improve the real talent that can play the game.
First club that does that will excell in the future.
Computer Crashed
Reserves

Postby Tony Clifton » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:58 pm

I reckon U/14 Whites is ok. It's not as obvious at that age which players will emerge as the best ones. The height/strength difference between kids aged 11-14 is enormous. Some mature early and have a huge advantage.

Once it gets to U16's though I think clubs should be starting to hone in on the standout players and make some tough calls.

D Grade goes.

A's and B's share your main ground
C's and U16's share your No 2 ground
U14 Reds and Whites share your No 3 ground.

All on turf, only 6 teams and 3 venues to manage instead of 8 teams and 4 venues.

I also think though that something like the above will be so hard to get voted in that a bit of flexibility be allowed. Those six grades should be the official SACA competition. All clubs field the same six teams. Funding is for those six teams. Umpires provided for those 6 teams. Competition administered for those 6 teams.

However if a club from a huge area is adamant that kids will be lost, social fabric of the club will be destroyed and they need more teams then they need to strike a relationship with Adelaide Turf. Field a team in the U/15 or U/17 competition, or a D Grade in one of the two day competitions if they want to.

If a grade clubs really wants to run a heap of teams then let them. Don't fight that battle. If a club wants a stream-lined six teams then great. It's the club's choice.

There will never, ever be consensus on what is the right structure so this would allow clubs the flexibility to structure themselves as they see fit.

However the official SACA competition is 6 teams, 3 venues.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Burras » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:13 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:I reckon U/14 Whites is ok. It's not as obvious at that age which players will emerge as the best ones. The height/strength difference between kids aged 11-14 is enormous. Some mature early and have a huge advantage.

Once it gets to U16's though I think clubs should be starting to hone in on the standout players and make some tough calls.

D Grade goes.

All on turf, only 6 teams and 3 venues to manage instead of 8 teams and 4 venues.

I also think though that something like the above will be so hard to get voted in that a bit of flexibility be allowed. Those six grades should be the official SACA competition. All clubs field the same six teams. Funding is for those six teams. Umpires provided for those 6 teams. Competition administered for those 6 teams.

However if a club from a huge area is adamant that kids will be lost, social fabric of the club will be destroyed and they need more teams then they need to strike a relationship with Adelaide Turf. Field a team in the U/15 or U/17 competition, or a D Grade in one of the two day competitions if they want to.

If a grade clubs really wants to run a heap of teams then let them. Don't fight that battle. If a club wants a stream-lined six teams then great. It's the club's choice.

There will never, ever be consensus on what is the right structure so this would allow clubs the flexibility to structure themselves as they see fit.

Women's Cricket get a mention in any of the grand scheme of things?
Burras

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 21 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:17 pm

Need all clubs to get a women's team before even beginning to think of the best structure
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Aerie » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:29 pm

Not sure the SACA give much value to Women's Cricket given they are looking to get rid of Port and West Torrens. 2 of 6 clubs that have a Women's 1st Grade team.

Current womens teams include Kensington, Northern Districts, Port Adelaide, West Torrens, Sturt and Southern District. Prospect and University field a 2nd Grade team. Glenelg are starting up next year.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 506 times

Postby Computer Crashed » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:37 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:I reckon U/14 Whites is ok. It's not as obvious at that age which players will emerge as the best ones. The height/strength difference between kids aged 11-14 is enormous. Some mature early and have a huge advantage.

D Grade goes.

All of that sounds fantastic apart from the flexibility bit.
Gotta be one in all in.
6 teams - 3 venues - brilliant idea.
Apart from Uni of course who get to run their own show.
Computer Crashed
Reserves

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:57 am

Parliamentary Inquiry not going to happen? Support from Labor but not from Libs?
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Shark_Hunter » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:53 am

Tony Clifton wrote:Parliamentary Inquiry not going to happen? Support from Labor but not from Libs?

Is this a statement or a question Tony?
It is a bit hard to find info on, but from what I heard it would take at least a month to get anything confirmed. Have you heard something?
Shark_Hunter
Under 16s

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby heater31 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:34 am

Shark_Hunter wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:Parliamentary Inquiry not going to happen? Support from Labor but not from Libs?

It is a bit hard to find info on, but from what I heard it would take at least a month to get anything confirmed. Have you heard something?

you can search for the current inquiries underway.....nothing as of yet. Seriously doubt they would get the numbers required

anyway the suspense of these proposed 'fireworks' is killing me when is the show going to kick off? or is Oyster talking shit again :roll:
heater31

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:28 pm

Shark_Hunter wrote:

Question.

Heard a whisper but nothing concrete.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Shark_Hunter » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:30 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:
Shark_Hunter wrote:

Question.

Heard a whisper but nothing concrete.

Fair enough. I believe there is support from Liberal and Labor members but that doesn't mean it will get the votes it needs. Matt Williams the Federal Member for Hindmarsh (Liberal) has been very supportive, contacted the Federal Sports Minister amongst others but there is only so much influence politicians can have anyway. The main reason for an enquiry would be to force the SACA to be transparent. My understanding is it would take a few more weeks to formalise regardless.
Shark_Hunter
Under 16s

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:54 pm

Please, lets not waste my tax payers dollars on an inquiry into a couple small cricket clubs in the western suburbs of Adelaide.
I get the 2 clubs involved arnt happy and nor would i be if it was my club but seriously, a parliamentary enquiry would achieve what exactly?? Pretty sure they cant tell the SACA how to run their competition or if they can its none of their business
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Eagles2014 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:01 am

daysofourlives wrote:Please, lets not waste my tax payers dollars on an inquiry into a couple small cricket clubs in the western suburbs of Adelaide.
I get the 2 clubs involved arnt happy and nor would i be if it was my club but seriously, a parliamentary enquiry would achieve what exactly?? Pretty sure they cant tell the SACA how to run their competition or if they can its none of their business

The enquiry is to force SACA to reveal information they are hiding and refusing to release to the Clubs. They are basing their decision on a couple of reports, but they will not let the Clubs see them. What are they trying to hide? If everything is above board, and the reports makes sense, the Clubs may be more likely to accept it. But until then, we will use our contacts in the Governments to get some answers. Once you agree to merge you are gone forever, so it is very reasonable to do everything possible to survive.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 527 times

Postby Shark_Hunter » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:25 am

daysofourlives wrote:Please, lets not waste my tax payers dollars on an inquiry into a couple small cricket clubs in the western suburbs of Adelaide.

You're kind of missing the point of a democratic government mate, when you have 1500 people in your electorate say they are unhappy with some decision that has been made, it is the duty of the elected member to stand up for his/her constituents, IT may or may not have an influence on the final decision, but that is the exact reason we have this form of government.

You are right in that they cannot tell SACA how to run the comp, but they can force them to reveal the content of the "report" which will end up being the end of a western club. Don't forget the demonstrated impact that sporting clubs have on decreasing crime rates, vandalism and violence in communities while increasing health, community and mental wellbeing. The links might be tenuous but research shows that strong community sporting clubs have significant positive benefits for the local community. Is that worthy of your tax dollars?
Shark_Hunter
Under 16s

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps