R5: Norwood v Sturt - Friday 22 April @ Coopers Stadium

All discussions to do with the SANFL

R5: Norwood v Sturt - Friday 22 April @ Coopers Stadium

Postby Dutchy » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:48 pm

NORWOOD
Injury-hit Norwood will hand a debut to former North Adelaide giant Luke Mitchell against Sturt at Coopers Stadium on Friday night.
Mitchell, who crossed from the Roosters in the off-season, has been named in the 23-man squad to confront the Double Blues after building solid form in the Reserves.
The former Carlton bigman has been joined by former Docker Alex Forster, Callum Bartlett, Steve Baldasso, Peter Bampton and possible debutant Alex Villis.
Villis is a 17-year-old from Cleve on the Eyre Peninsula and is described by coach Ben Warren as an aerobic outside midfielder.
Co-captain Jace Bode will miss the next 6-8 weeks with a broken leg while triple premiership players Brady Dawe and Tim Webber will miss at least one match with a hamstring strain.
Teenager Lachlan Pascoe was unlucky to be squeezed out of the line-up.

League
F: Wilson, Mitchell, Ferriera
HF: Smart, Johnston, Persinos
C: Fuller, Panos, Cachia
HB: A. Forster, Georgiou, Roocke
B: Denmead, Levicki, Jefferies

R: Baulderstone, Donohue, Kirwan
INT: Nunn, Baldasso, Villis, Bartlett, Bampton
IN: Mitchell, A. Forster, Villis, Bartlett, Baldasso, Bampton
OUT: Webber (hamstring), Bode (foot), Dawe (hamstring), Pascoe

Reserves
Peter, Giannini, Richards, Suckling, T. Forster, Chippendale, Pascoe, Derham, Mozuras, Olsson, Cross, Stewart, Hupfeld, Carter, Pitman, Viney, Auciello, Llewellyn, Miller. EMG – Zeni.

Under-18
Astbury, Ball, Bielby, Blades, Breden, Carroll, Coles, DiStefano, George, Giro, Hewson, Hillcoat, Iannucci, Ladhams, Lodovici, North, T. Nunn, Nurton, Pedro, Petrohilos, Pippett, Pisani, Richards, Siviour, C. Smith, J. Smith, Thomson, Zeni.

STURT
Sturt midfielder Aidan Riley will make his comeback from knee surgery against Norwood at Coopers Stadium on Friday night.
The former Crow underwent a minor procedure after Round 1 but has been named on the extended interchange bench to face the Redlegs from 7.40pm.
Riley has been joined in the 23-man squad by ruckman Jack Osborn who has overcome knee soreness while defender Sam Jonas and forward Ben Hansen have also been included.
James Paprotny and Jack Penfold have been sent to the Reserves to find form.

League
F: Carey, Voigt, M. Evans
HF: Hone, K. Beard, Greenslade
C: Crocker, Martin, Lienert
HB: P. Wilson, Stephens, Harms
B: McMahon, F. Evans, Page

R: Osborn, Kirkwood, Battersby
INT: Riley, Jonas, Gilfoy, Parrella, B. Hansen
IN: Riley, Osborn, Jonas, B. Hansen
OUT: Paprotny, Penfold

Reserves
F: Pansini, Green, Wiech
HF: Wildman, Hayden, Gamble
C: T. Beard, Coulson, Haren
HB: Slimming, Moriarty, Calabrese
B: Paprotny, Campbell, Langridge

R: Habljak, Penfold, Hayes
INT: Coombes

Under-18
F: Kluske, Spinello, Coombe
HF: M. Hansen, Applebee, Marini
C: Musolino, Callins, Yunupingu
HB: Weidenhofer, Young, Edmonds
B: Scott, Powell, Collins

R: Fahey-Sparks, Thiele, Telford
INT: Trenorden, Badger, Coomblas, Rutai
EMG: Parker-Boers, Atchison, Fielke, Ortiz
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2324 times
Been liked: 3500 times

Re: R5: Norwood v Sturt - Friday 22 April @ Coopers Stadium

Postby another grub » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:48 pm

NW $1.68
St $2.15

Line 6.5 points.

Thoughts?
another grub
Coach

Has liked: 459 times
Been liked: 420 times

Postby Dutchy » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:38 pm

another grub wrote:NW $1.68
St $2.15

Line 6.5 points.

Thoughts?

great odds Norwood, just on the basis of Sturt coming off a 5 day break (how the hell that happens these days I don't know)
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2324 times
Been liked: 3500 times

Postby another grub » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:59 pm

They certainly are closer in the market than I thought they would be.

Leaning towards NW line
another grub
Coach

Has liked: 459 times
Been liked: 420 times

Postby DOC » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:09 pm

I think Sturt are in great form. To me this is the match of the round. Osborn and Riley should make them even better. Norwood missing a couple.

The Double Blues by a point.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 731 times
Been liked: 2086 times

Postby saintal » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:10 pm

Sturt 11.9
Norwood 8.9

Beard 5 goals for the Double Blues. Johnston the only multiple goal kicker for the Legs with 2.

Didn't listen to any of it, but judging by the scores a dull game?
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Jim05 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:21 pm

saintal wrote:Sturt 11.9
Norwood 8.9

Beard 5 goals for the Double Blues. Johnston the only multiple goal kicker for the Legs with 2.

Terrible game.
Both sides skills were appalling, Sturt had better structure and ball movement and were the better side.
Games like tonight would turn people away from the game
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Jimmy » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:23 am

saintal wrote:Sturt 11.9
Norwood 8.9

Was a great game ;)

Listened online and loved the comeback and pressure sturt are putting on once they get going. Legs missing a few and we were near full strength so that keeps it in perspective.
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby bomber14 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:53 am

Wasn't the greatest game to watch overall, but the last quarter was entertaining.

I thought Sturt's pressure was fantastic after quarter time and did well to finish it off in the last quarter (although they should have kicked more in the third).

Matt Crocker was almost best on for me, has been playing really well to start the year.

There was a group of Norwood supporters behind me yelling at their players to kick it all night when they handballed around, little did they realise they weren't kicking for a reason. In the last 3 quarters I reckon 80-90% of the time Norwood got the ball running out of half back or on the wing there was literally no one to kick to up forward.

Does the win say more about Sturt or the loss say more about Norwood?

I think it may be the latter...
bomber14
Mini-League

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Payneham NU

Postby Panther Pack » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:35 am

What was the crowd like? Usually these teams draw a decent turnout but with the Crows on Friday night it might have affected it.

Question for Norwood fans do you think Warren is capable of getting the team to be more attacking they seem to struggle to kick large scores?
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 139 times

Postby therisingblues » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:39 am

Very similar scoring pattern to the Central game. A significant deficit at quarter time, then they get the first goal after the break before they become stifled somehow.
Not being at either game I can't comment first hand how that stifling occurred. But v Central all supporters commented on an increased application of pressure by the Blues.
Could this be said about last night? I've read several posts describing terrible skills, which is usually a side effect of increased pressure. Anyone think this was a factor?
Very pleased to beat Norwood at Norwood at night in any case. I don't think that's happened for a while. Of course we were close to full strength, though maybe still a big man down, and the Legs had a couple out.
Three in a row, and significantly, two of them away. We'll enjoy this whole we can.
GO YOU BLUES!!!
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Jim05 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:45 am

Panther Pack wrote:What was the crowd like? Usually these teams draw a decent turnout but with the Crows on Friday night it might have affected it.

Question for Norwood fans do you think Warren is capable of getting the team to be more attacking they seem to struggle to kick large scores?

There are a heap of Norwood members I know that we're going to Adelaide United last night also.
Warren's game plan stinks, he has to adapt or he is in trouble
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby JK » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:56 am

Jim05 wrote:
Panther Pack wrote:What was the crowd like? Usually these teams draw a decent turnout but with the Crows on Friday night it might have affected it.

There are a heap of Norwood members I know that we're going to Adelaide United last night also.
Warren's game plan stinks, he has to adapt or he is in trouble

His contract was extended for a season prior to the start of this one. Hierarchy must have been happy with how we performed in 2015 :roll:
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4460 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby mighty hounds » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:07 pm

therisingblues wrote:Very similar scoring pattern to the Central game. A significant deficit at quarter time, then they get the first goal after the break before they become stifled somehow.
Not being at either game I can't comment first hand how that stifling occurred. But v Central all supporters commented on an increased application of pressure by the Blues.
Could this be said about last night? I've read several posts describing terrible skills, which is usually a side effect of increased pressure. Anyone think this was a factor?
Very pleased to beat Norwood at Norwood at night in any case. I don't think that's happened for a while. Of course we were close to full strength, though maybe still a big man down, and the Legs had a couple out.
Three in a row, and significantly, two of them away. We'll enjoy this whole we can.
GO YOU BLUES!!!

I reckon we beat Norwood in 2014 at Parade also at night around Easter time
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby daysofourlives » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:14 pm

Way off topic here but does anyone know if SANFL footballers who hold down full time job work on a Friday if they are playing Friday night especially those that are involved in a labour intensive industry?
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby fester69 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:15 pm

Sturt were as good as we were bad.
I'm going to back Dugga in. The players need to wear most of the blame.
Five changes from last week, only one omitted, plus Suckling and Chippendale coming back through the reserves while Phillips is still a few weeks away didn't help.

Also anyone from Sturt who knows McMahon tell him his byplay was excellent and that's how footy banter should be, fun!! (More for him because he's the winner) :'(
fester69
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 32 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby scott » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:29 pm

Sturt's pressure certainly ramped up after Norwood scored the first goal of the second quarter. They absolutely smashed the Legs from that point onwards. Very, very similar to the match against Centrals.

Q1 start to Q2 5m
Disposals - Norwood 109, Sturt 74 (Norwood +35)
Tackles - Norwood 18, Sturt 17 (Norwood +1)
Inside 50s - Norwood 15, Sturt 10 (Norwood +10)
Score - Norwood 6.2 (38), Sturt 1.4 (10) (Norwood +28)

Q2 5m to Q4 finish
Disposals - Norwood 224, Sturt 206 (Norwood +18)
Tackles - Norwood 45, Sturt 61 (Sturt +16)
Inside 50s - Norwood 31, Sturt 32 (Sturt +1)
Score - Norwood 2.7 (19), Sturt 10.5 (65) (Sturt +46)
scott
Veteran

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby Scrapboy » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:34 pm

therisingblues wrote:Could this be said about last night? I've read several posts describing terrible skills, which is usually a side effect of increased pressure. Anyone think this was a factor?

Definitely had a bit to do with it, it was obvious Sturt had lifted when they did and credit to them for getting up off the canvas. However Norwood's disposal efficiency was woeful both with and without pressure last night, often passing (usually by hand) to someone who was more under the pump than the bloke who got rid of it.
There's plenty for the players to work on, the side has been anything but settled in the first few rounds so I'm not ready to call for anyone's head yet.
Scrapboy

Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby Milly » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:55 pm

Not enough credit to Sturt given in here! They had a 5 day break, were down by 5 goals half way through the 2nd quarter and only had 2 on the bench for 2.5 quarters, this was a huge win for them in the scheme of things. Norwood didn't lose this game Sturt won it due to hard work, pressure, perseverance & determination, hats off to Marty Mattner and his men.
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 49 times
Grassroots Team: St Paul's College OS

Postby therisingblues » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:45 am

Milly wrote:Not enough credit to Sturt given in here! They had a 5 day break, were down by 5 goals half way through the 2nd quarter and only had 2 on the bench for 2.5 quarters, this was a huge win for them in the scheme of things. Norwood didn't lose this game Sturt won it due to hard work, pressure, perseverance & determination, hats off to Marty Mattner and his men.

Was someone injured Milly?
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL