Port Adelaide 2016

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2016

Postby Grahaml » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:35 pm

Could they really go worse? They might not be the worst performing blokes in the side but they're the ones who are underperforming the most. You can let them feel comfortable or fire a rocket at them in the one way that really counts. I assume everything else has been tried in 5 weeks (if not then get rid of the coach now). Or don't. I'm not exactly upset if you keep treading water hoping doing the same thing will eventually achieve the same result.

On Lobbe, had a couple of poor games, but he actually hasn't done as bad as it seems.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:21 am

The majority of the current group were part of their dramatic rise. They have it in them. It's blatantly obvious their drive and endeavour consistently isn't there and hasn't been there for a long time.

Still can't believe a senior player in Hartlett pointed at the scoreboard when the game was in the balance.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 740 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Ruben Carter » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:43 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:

Still can't believe a senior player in Hartlett pointed at the scoreboard when the game was in the balance.

Obviously he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
If you don’t like my words, don’t listen. If you don’t like my appearance, don’t look. If you don’t like my actions, turn your head; It’s as simple as that.
Ruben Carter
Reserves

Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 75 times
Grassroots Team: Westminster OS

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:07 am

What must be most concerning for Porties was the form of Wingard and Gray. Gray is one of the best players in the comp and for two weeks in a row now he's resorted to cheap shots off the ball because he's not getting a kick. Sitting on the bench it looked like he just didn't want to be out there. I can't recall Wingard playing so poorly either. This is good because small forwards kill us every time and he tore us a new one last time we played the power.

Lobbe needs support. Who are the ruck back ups? Howard? He must be brought in to help Lobbe not replace him. In our last match against the Power Lobbe was smashed by Blicavs and Stanley and this time round we had Zac Smith as well. Someone else who needs support is Dixon. He's copped a lot of shit but if you are going to have Butcher on your list surely it's time to play the guy. Yeah he can't kick straight but he takes a mark and for a big man he puts good pressure on. At least that is what I have seen going on the (admittedly) few times I've seen him.

The Power appear to have forgetten thier roots. After the Magpies put in a shit one you didn't hear the president or the coach hanging the players out to dry. Magpies knew the game plan and when it was time to play "the Port way" it usually meant hard, direct football. When it came for time to go the biff or fly the flag they backed it up with their football. All the melee and Trengove's retaliatory strike did was fire up the Cats.

I think the key here for Port is to say very little this week. They should close ranks and provide support for the Talls. They should make a "statement" selection like dropping Hartlett who is the least impressive Port leader I can recall and get rid of Toumpas who is diabolical.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby gossipgirl » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:05 pm

The funny part is that port are only 2 and 3 so with a couple of wins in a row then they can put their season back on track. I think it's a must win game against Richmond and they aren't travelling very well. Port just need to string a few wins in a row to build confidence. They don't need to panic ... YET
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1433 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby bennymacca » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:16 pm

Gerard on 360 tonight said that port really need to start asking the question whether they actually have the talent to be a top 4 team, or whether they were just a middling team that had a purple patch a couple of years ago.

Looks more and more like the latter.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:15 am

bennymacca wrote:Gerard on 360 tonight said that port really need to start asking the question whether they actually have the talent to be a top 4 team, or whether they were just a middling team that had a purple patch a couple of years ago.

Yes, and no.

We have the top end talent to be a top 4 team, I don't question the best 22 we could put out there are not being good enough, I think most would agree. Unfortunately two of them aren't there all year, one is laid up with a bad back and several are playing well below their best.

We just have no depth and none of the "kids" are coming on, having said that with the Monfries trade ( a second round pick ) in the '12 draft, Ryder ( picks 17 and 37 in the '14 draft ) and Dixon ( Pick 10 in '15 and second round pick in '16 ) we have not brought in much young talent for a few years. Not really an issue if the players you brought in are playing and in form.....while our core group is still young, Wines, Wingard, Boak, Hartlett, Gray etc etc we clearly looked at "topping up" more than "rebuilding", fair enough, 3rd in '14 suggested we were thereabouts.

The fact blokes like Stewart and O'Shea come in to make us "stronger" is a reflection on the list, it doesn't run deep enough. Having said that, put Schulz, Ryder, Monfries and Carlile back in the side and there's 4 who go back to SANFL level to make a case and the list looks a bit deeper all of a sudden. With the 4 of them out ( 2 all year ) we will never be at full strength.

I think the loss of Ryder and Monfries is greater than many expected, Lobbe's struggles are compounded with only kids ( Dougal Howard and Billy Frampton ) as back ups, Monfries forward 50 pressure is missed and Neade isn't a like for like replacement as Monfries, while good at ground level, plays taller than he is and can be the third/fourth lead up forward if needed to.

In brief, I'll back the "system", it beat Hawthorn twice in 2015, the process works when all are in form and pulling* in the same direction. At the moment it's form and personnel.

So is Healy right? Again, yes and no. We aren't at full strength to find out though.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:25 am

Is the the top end talent really there though?

Gray and Wingard would be the only genuine a graders and on form only gray. That's not top 4 standard.

Champion data listed the following pre season as above average

Ryder westhoff boak White Hartlett pittard wines hombsch Neade gray

How many of those have even got to the level of last year, let alone taken a step forward? Maybe hombsch? Sam gray hasn't backed up his pre season form.

As for the rest of the list, broadbent and Byrne jones can hold their heads high. That's about it.

It's not just your bottom end, it's your top end too.

Too many excuses at port at the moment.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby mighty hounds » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:26 am

Booney wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Gerard on 360 tonight said that port really need to start asking the question whether they actually have the talent to be a top 4 team, or whether they were just a middling team that had a purple patch a couple of years ago.

Yes, and no.

We have the top end talent to be a top 4 team, I don't question the best 22 we could put out there are not being good enough, I think most would agree. Unfortunately two of them aren't there all year, one is laid up with a bad back and several are playing well below their best.

We just have no depth and none of the "kids" are coming on, having said that with the Monfries trade ( a second round pick ) in the '12 draft, Ryder ( picks 17 and 37 in the '14 draft ) and Dixon ( Pick 10 in '15 and second round pick in '16 ) we have not brought in much young talent for a few years. Not really an issue if the players you brought in are playing and in form.....while our core group is still young, Wines, Wingard, Boak, Hartlett, Gray etc etc we clearly looked at "topping up" more than "rebuilding", fair enough, 3rd in '14 suggested we were thereabouts.

The fact blokes like Stewart and O'Shea come in to make us "stronger" is a reflection on the list, it doesn't run deep enough. Having said that, put Schulz, Ryder, Monfries and Carlile back in the side and there's 4 who go back to SANFL level to make a case and the list looks a bit deeper all of a sudden. With the 4 of them out ( 2 all year ) we will never be at full strength.

I think the loss of Ryder and Monfries is greater than many expected, Lobbe's struggles are compounded with only kids ( Dougal Howard and Billy Frampton ) as back ups, Monfries forward 50 pressure is missed and Neade isn't a like for like replacement as Monfries, while good at ground level, plays taller than he is and can be the third/fourth lead up forward if needed to.

In brief, I'll back the "system", it beat Hawthorn twice in 2015, the process works when all are in form and pulling* in the same direction. At the moment it's form and personnel.

So is Healy right? Again, yes and no. We aren't at full strength to find out though.

Wasn't Monfires dropped a couple times last year?
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:30 am

bennymacca wrote:Is the the top end talent really there though?

Gray and Wingard would be the only genuine a graders and on form only gray. That's not top 4 standard.

Champion data listed the following pre season as above average

Ryder westhoff boak White Hartlett pittard wines hombsch Neade gray

How many of those have even got to the level of last year, let alone taken a step forward? Maybe hombsch? Sam gray hasn't backed up his pre season form.

As for the rest of the list, broadbent and Byrne jones can hold their heads high. That's about it.

It's not just your bottom end, it's your top end too.

Too many excuses at port at the moment.

So that's 12 listed as "above average" ( I don't agree with White and Neade, mind you, but think Monfries is missing ) which tells me there's enough top end talent there.

Excuses? **** me, when questions get asked they need to be answered, but then they're excuses. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:36 am

Top 3 teams from last year all had at least 15 in that group.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:41 am

Booney wrote:

Yes, and no.

Maybe in 2014 the players over achieved and this is the norm now. With a full squad to choose from last year you were a massive disappointment and lost to Carlton and Brisbane. Maybe the playing list isn't as good as it was first thought and some of these long term contracts could come back to bite.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:48 am

I disagree on the contracts, none of them are players I'd be moving on. None of them have lost the talent they used to take us to 3rd in '14, the form is clearly missing AND we've been worked out.

Plan "A" works, when it doesn't plan "B" or "C" doesn't exist,seemingly. Whilst our best form with this system wins, anything but that doesn't.

Damningly I think it boils down to effort, which is extremely frustrating and disappointing.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:49 am

[/quote]
In brief, I'll back the "system", it beat Hawthorn twice in 2015, the process works when all are in form and pulling* in the same direction. At the moment it's form and personnel. [/quote]

It certainly was interesting that you beat the Hawks both times last year. That says the talent exists, and that your group CAN get up & get the job done. The fact that they drop games to likes of Carlton last year, and GWS this year, in the fashion they did says something is not right. Pretty easy to say its mental application. If we could all easily identify the issue, and correct it.... we would be in the coaches box.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1278 times
Been liked: 3485 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:51 am

If we didn't have the cattle, or I believed we didn't, I'd not be as disappointed as I am at the moment.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:55 am

Booney wrote:I disagree on the contracts, none of them are players I'd be moving on. None of them have lost the talent they used to take us to 3rd in '14, the form is clearly missing AND we've been worked out.

Plan "A" works, when it doesn't plan "B" or "C" doesn't exist,seemingly. Whilst our best form with this system wins, anything but that doesn't.

Damningly I think it boils down to effort, which is extremely frustrating and disappointing.

Do you think some of the effort can be put down a) players knowing they won't be dropped and b) taking it easy because they are on long term contracts and know they are safe?
Hartlett is the big one for me, walks around with his hands on his hips most of the game and then gives a cheap shot out every now and then, he then has the gall to point out the scoreboard to Scott and he is one of your leaders!
If they club is dinkum they will send his arse back to the two's along with Westhoff and Lobbe but you just know it will be Stewart and O'Shea who will make way
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Corona Man » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:57 am

Booney wrote:If we didn't have the cattle, or I believed we didn't, I'd not be as disappointed as I am at the moment.

Good chance they they can turn it around in the next 3 or 4 weeks. Richmond, Brisbane, Carlton and even West Coast at home are winnable...all of a sudden you are say 5-4, you are still in it. Premierships aren't won in April & May. Good to have you back Booney, missed your input on here...
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1278 times
Been liked: 3485 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:04 am

Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:I disagree on the contracts, none of them are players I'd be moving on. None of them have lost the talent they used to take us to 3rd in '14, the form is clearly missing AND we've been worked out.

Do you think some of the effort can be put down a) players knowing they won't be dropped and b) taking it easy because they are on long term contracts and know they are safe?
Hartlett is the big one for me, walks around with his hands on his hips most of the game and then gives a cheap shot out every now and then, he then has the gall to point out the scoreboard to Scott and he is one of your leaders!
If they club is dinkum they will send his arse back to the two's along with Westhoff and Lobbe but you just know it will be Stewart and O'Shea who will make way

He was telling Scott to go and worry about his team, not pointing at the scoreboard, which is right, no coach should be getting verbal with another sides players.

I don't think Hartlett was fit when he came back for the GWS game and watching him on Saturday night he didn't reach full pace and looked "tight". Long history of hamstrings might be in the back of his mind.

Westhoff has had one quiet game, ridiculous call.

Only Howard to replace Lobbe, Frampton ( yet to play ) is one week back from being injured for several. Lobbe was ok against Jacobs, toweled up by Mumford and Smith/Stanley killed him.

The contracts have nothing to do with it, most clubs are locking players in for 3-4 years at the moments, especially the players in the 23-25 age bracket where many of ours are. No pressure from below is the killer.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:05 am

Corona Man wrote:
Booney wrote:If we didn't have the cattle, or I believed we didn't, I'd not be as disappointed as I am at the moment.

Good chance they they can turn it around in the next 3 or 4 weeks. Richmond, Brisbane, Carlton and even West Coast at home are winnable...all of a sudden you are say 5-4, you are still in it. Premierships aren't won in April & May. Good to have you back Booney, missed your input on here...

In this form I'm not penning any of them in as wins. The first 3 should be wins....should be. :roll:

( Cheers. Week in Melbourne with the family was good )
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Spargo » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:05 am

Corona Man wrote: Good to have you back Booney, missed your input on here...

Speak for yourself...
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5477 times
Been liked: 5118 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL