SANFL Anzac Day footy No TV or Radio?

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL Anzac Day footy No TV or Radio?

Postby robranisgod » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:24 pm

RustyCage wrote:Agreed, some coverage is better than none. Hopefully something can be put in place for next season for some radio coverage.

Any chance of LifeFM coming back on board?

LifeFM call one game each week. They did the Port vs Central game this weekend and they also did the North vs Norwood game earlier in the year.

They had Doug Oakley and John Nankivell calling on the weekend with young Lienert from Sturt doing the special comments. As always I thought it was an excellent call and Lienert was impressive as the special comments man.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 224 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby Dutchy » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:10 pm

Big Phil wrote:
VALE PARK wrote:Easy,
Just reduce the byes from 5 to 4 and fund it!

I understand the comments about technology and the older generation but there isn't much you can do about that...

Via the official SANFL App, it is so easy to listen to the game and if you have a mobile device, you can listen to the call whilst driving around in the car, either via bluetooth or on the speaker of your phone...

It's not as hard or as bad as people are making it out to be...

Any coverage is better than NO coverage, surely?

Which ever way you put it the SANFL is less accessible than ever before.

When they did a great job in steaming the Glenelg v Norwood game 2 weeks ago, then never promoted it, people just stumbled upon it online. Then we find out there is a full replay of the ANZAC day clash, why wasn't that streamed?

What sort of numbers are you getting listening in on the stream Phil?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby Big Phil » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:47 pm

Dutchy wrote:Which ever way you put it the SANFL is less accessible than ever before.
Don't disagree, but as mentioned, with RPH pulling put 2 weeks before Round 1, it was impossible to find another station to broadcast...

Dutchy wrote:When they did a great job in steaming the Glenelg v Norwood game 2 weeks ago, then never promoted it, people just stumbled upon it online. Then we find out there is a full replay of the ANZAC day clash, why wasn't that streamed?
Don't quote me on it, but I'd suggest the League and home club(s) would be conscious of it affecting numbers at the gate so only a select few games will be promoted early in the piece...

Dutchy wrote:What sort of numbers are you getting listening in on the stream Phil?
I'll be able to answer you that tomorrow...

I normally get an email from the SANFL on a Tuesday / Wednesday morning with the numbers from the previous round and an accumulative total...
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:17 pm

I wouldn't have thought a live broadcast of a teams match impacts on the crowd to the extent that people will stay home to watch it either on TV or YouTube.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Big Phil » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:40 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:I wouldn't have thought a live broadcast of a teams match impacts on the crowd to the extent that people will stay home to watch it either on TV or YouTube.

Neither would I, but that is the only reason why I can think the clubs and the league don't promote it sooner...
Big Phil
Coach

Postby StrayDog » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:08 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Big Phil wrote:
VALE PARK wrote:Easy,
Just reduce the byes from 5 to 4 and fund it!

I understand the comments about technology and the older generation but there isn't much you can do about that...

Via the official SANFL App, it is so easy to listen to the game and if you have a mobile device, you can listen to the call whilst driving around in the car, either via bluetooth or on the speaker of your phone...

It's not as hard or as bad as people are making it out to be...

Any coverage is better than NO coverage, surely?

Which ever way you put it the SANFL is less accessible than ever before.

When they did a great job in steaming the Glenelg v Norwood game 2 weeks ago, then never promoted it, people just stumbled upon it online. Then we find out there is a full replay of the ANZAC day clash, why wasn't that streamed?

What sort of numbers are you getting listening in on the stream Phil?

The number of listeners tuned into the SANFL / Mixlr stream at any one time is shown on the embedded interface (the 'player'.)

I can't speak for the first half, but I tuned in on PC just after half time and I reckon I was one of around 130 listeners at that stage. From what I noticed, perhaps peaked at about 150 early in the last.

Note:- Listeners may get a chuckle at the subtle (I suspect deliberate) 'rock mock' reference in the player's maximum volume setting.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:28 am

RustyCage wrote:Agreed, some coverage is better than none. Hopefully something can be put in place for next season for some radio coverage.

Any chance of LifeFM coming back on board?

Life FM never left
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:01 pm

Big Phil wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:I wouldn't have thought a live broadcast of a teams match impacts on the crowd to the extent that people will stay home to watch it either on TV or YouTube.

Neither would I, but that is the only reason why I can think the clubs and the league don't promote it sooner...

With our crowds dwindling using the live stream on youtube is a perfect way to get new audiences to the league if used and promoted correctly.

Much like shield cricket and racing, use it as a tool to promote the league, and maybe this forward thinking may get more people going to games.

At the moment it seems its amateur hour at the SANFL with trying to promote the league. The cycnic would suggest they/AFL want it to dwindle so it does not provide an material alternative to the AFL which is was for a number of years.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby VALE PARK » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:41 pm

Big Phil is obviously doing a great job around modern media no question.
But.
The competition is in serious decline,attendances tell the story.
Lately Adelaide oval and Norwood on Friday night for example.
Where are the new supporters coming from?
To me the new rules have assisted more exciting games as in the AFL,
so why arn't they turning up?
Too many negatives are sinking the league.
No radio is just one of them.
Surely a determined SANFL could have fixed it even with 2 weeks to go.
I think we all know the rest.
I just hope the clubs give the SANFL a serious shake up asap.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Big Phil » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:47 am

VALE PARK wrote:Big Phil is obviously doing a great job around modern media no question.
But.

There is radio - LifeFM
Big Phil
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:30 am

Big Phil wrote:
VALE PARK wrote:Big Phil is obviously doing a great job around modern media no question.
But.

There is radio - LifeFM

Life FM covered the Anzac Day game?
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2021 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Panther Pack » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:58 am

Live streaming is a good edition but losing 5rph hurts the league in my opinion.

Also having the crows reserves or power reserves as the TV game every week does not help the traditional SANFL clubs generate new supporters!!!!

The SANFL need to take some of the money from the sale of land at Footy Park and pump it into marketing, it seems like there is less advertising of the league these days.
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby Panther Pack » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:18 am

Anyone read the article from Rucci about making Port v Norwood a traditional Anzac day feature?
Panther Pack
Reserves

Postby Wedgie » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:33 am

Panther Pack wrote:Anyone read the article from Rucci about making Port v Norwood a traditional Anzac day feature?

Yep,but doesn't make a lot of sense when North drew almost 5k more than the Powers reserves did to their respective GF replays.
Also would make sense to have traditional rivals not two clubs that have only been playing each other for just a couple of years like the Power and Norwood.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2021 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby VALE PARK » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:47 am

Good comment Wedgie the power are just a new team.
The magpies are pretty much finished and not this reserves team,just a emblem and promotion tool.
Norwood could be one of the teams.
The Redlegs may not want to be one of teams in a new strategy anyway,if they had to give up a home game.
Probably it would be difficult to get the clubs to agree to this trophy game and not worth the effort anyway.
We must move on and not live in the glories of yesterday.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Hazydog » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:38 am

VALE PARK wrote:To me the new rules have assisted more exciting games as in the AFL,

For me, it gets back to the lack of marketing and general lack of media for the SANFL. Highlighted at Alberton last Sunday when numerous supporters were still unaware of the new out of bounds rule.
I doubt that other than the SANFL diehards, that anyone would really know that there have been rule changes which may or may not be resulting in a better brand of footy being played.
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby Booney » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:49 am

Hazydog wrote:
VALE PARK wrote:To me the new rules have assisted more exciting games as in the AFL,

For me, it gets back to the lack of marketing and general lack of media for the SANFL. Highlighted at Alberton last Sunday when numerous supporters were still unaware of the new out of bounds rule.
I doubt that other than the SANFL diehards, that anyone would really know that there have been rule changes which may or may not be resulting in a better brand of footy being played.

This year has been deplorable, simply pathetic.

The "Your tribe is calling" campaign on the past at least hit the TV, radio waves and 'Tiser, nothing much this year at all.

No education or insight into the Livestream, why not tell people how it works, what it does to your data ( mobile and at home ) and how to access it? Half page/full page in the Friday Footy section in the paper, remember not everyone uses Facebook or Twitter to stay in touch with the world.

Seems the SANFuL is as interested in making itself a thing of the past as they can be......

Last, not least, surely admission prices need to be reviewed? The VFL is $10 for an adult, the WAFL $15 for an adult. $10 should be the price, I don't think $4 keeps people away or brings them in, but throw in a couple of beers and a pie and chips for the kids and people don't see $60-70 for a day at the footy as value for money, not anymore.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Panther Pack » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:04 pm

Booney wrote:
Hazydog wrote:

The "Your tribe is calling" campaign on the past at least hit the TV, radio waves and 'Tiser, nothing much this year at all.

No education or insight into the Livestream, why not tell people how it works, what it does to your data ( mobile and at home ) and how to access it? Half page/full page in the Friday Footy section in the paper, remember not everyone uses Facebook or Twitter to stay in touch with the world.

Seems the SANFuL is as interested in making itself a thing of the past as they can be......

Last, not least, surely admission prices need to be reviewed? The VFL is $10 for an adult, the WAFL $15 for an adult. $10 should be the price, I don't think $4 keeps people away or brings them in, but throw in a couple of beers and a pie and chips for the kids and people don't see $60-70 for a day at the footy as value for money, not anymore.

Couldn't agree more about admission prices why not take them back to $10 and advertise it to the hilt I'd be very surprised if that didn't get more people to the games.
Panther Pack
Reserves

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:41 pm

I thought it was strange that the season had started and we were still getting team photos in The Advertiser.
Surely that should be sorted prior to start of season.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby wild dog » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:22 pm

Booney wrote:
Hazydog wrote:

Agree and include the cost of data if you want to listen to the audio. At 128 kbps a broadcast of 3 hours is about 180 MB. 2 games per weekend 360MB. So per month about 1.5 GB of data. What I would like to see with the streaming is to have an app that will display meaningful stats. Not just the standard ones k, hb, mk, tkl but some real time stats that explain the game and let you know the actual tactics being used. It will notify if a defensive / offensive press is on or explain the attacking movements resulting in a goal. Apparently this type of stat is now available to the coaches.

A forum user on the CDFC site came up with an innovative idea for the Anzac Day crowd, if you do get 2 teams that traditionally have a low drawing crowd, use the final positions of the previous year to determine a double header on Anzac Day. For instance this year would be CD V Power reserves and the main game WA V Eagles. If the GF has 2 high drawing crowds, leave the Anzac rematch as a stand alone game.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL