LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7492 times
Been liked: 10774 times

Re: R5: West v Eagles - Monday 25 April @ Adelaide Oval

Postby VALE PARK » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:20 pm

Therisingblues.
Did you notice they had 87500 attend the game hardly a flop!
Next year they wil pull similar or more attending.
I think a regular success still counting the cash surely.
We couldn't pull 5% with the current schedule.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby goddy11 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:26 pm

Wolf Pack wrote:
goddy11 wrote:Back to the game at hand. Westies have some big playing issues. The score-line flattered them. I know they lost a few from previous GF but not that many. Their in for a long season.

As for the crowd , who cares how many were there. The ANZAC day game is a reward for the 2 previous years Grand Finalists. Our game needs tradition. If you want your team on the main stage get into the GF. Simple.

A bit biased, but I would argue we have lost plenty.
Beech
Snelling
Francis
Bonner
Keough
Homburg
Anderson
Brind

That is plenty when you don't replace them....

The point I made was more about having a marquis game for the 2 grand finalists. Forget Norwood and Port. Those days are well and truly over.
What promotion did the SANFL really do? eg Open the gates to Vets, advertising (could have used the PAP match or on TV) . The costs at AO are high as well $8.80 for a beer.

PS You did not have all those player in last years GF. I think only 4 were there.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 564 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby Wolf Pack » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:33 pm

3 others played in the prelim
And I forgot Brad Helbig
Wolf Pack
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Postby Wolf Pack » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:41 pm

Anyway,
That is why we are rubbish this year!! :(
Wolf Pack
Under 16s

Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Postby Panther Pack » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:12 pm

therisingblues wrote:
VALE PARK wrote:The crowd number probably signals the end of the Adelaide Oval ANZAC tradition as we know it.
The only hope for a re birth there would be a Norwood V Port Adelaide (while they stay in the comp) regular feature.
But I reckon clubs partisan support would not allow this obvious change,plus Norwood would not likely give up a home game.
I am not a member of either club just a suggestion that would pull a decent crowd every year.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think Port are pulling very poor crowds since they abandoned the Magpie faithful. Their core is gone and the Power fans aren't interested.
Restricting it to two clubs, whoever those two clubs are, is the wrong track in any case. Look at the AFL's ANZAC Day farce this year. You could have Collingwood unbeaten on the top of the ladder with Essendon winless at the bottom, with a 150 point thumping the result and those morons will continue to schedule the exact same fixture year in year out. This year in the SANFL was an extreme situation in that Westies are in a rotten slump which could make history.
You are usually on a safe bet of two form sides if you invite the previous year's finalists to play the ANZAC Day replay. I reckon any combination of Norwood, Glenelg, Sturt or North, if still in form the following year, could draw 10,000+. You can call that the new big 4, as Port have abandoned their supporters.
I really pity them.
I can't remember the attendances on ANZAC day for the past few years, but should make interesting reading, in particular Central v Norwood a few years back and Norwood v Port, not so long ago.

Surely South should be considered when discussing the BIG 4. We have won more flags than the bays after all
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 139 times

Postby Spargo » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:27 pm

Panther Pack wrote:
therisingblues wrote:
VALE PARK wrote:The crowd number probably signals the end of the Adelaide Oval ANZAC tradition as we know it.
The only hope for a re birth there would be a Norwood V Port Adelaide (while they stay in the comp) regular feature.
But I reckon clubs partisan support would not allow this obvious change,plus Norwood would not likely give up a home game.
I am not a member of either club just a suggestion that would pull a decent crowd every year.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think Port are pulling very poor crowds since they abandoned the Magpie faithful. Their core is gone and the Power fans aren't interested.
Restricting it to two clubs, whoever those two clubs are, is the wrong track in any case. Look at the AFL's ANZAC Day farce this year. You could have Collingwood unbeaten on the top of the ladder with Essendon winless at the bottom, with a 150 point thumping the result and those morons will continue to schedule the exact same fixture year in year out. This year in the SANFL was an extreme situation in that Westies are in a rotten slump which could make history.
You are usually on a safe bet of two form sides if you invite the previous year's finalists to play the ANZAC Day replay. I reckon any combination of Norwood, Glenelg, Sturt or North, if still in form the following year, could draw 10,000+. You can call that the new big 4, as Port have abandoned their supporters.
I really pity them.
I can't remember the attendances on ANZAC day for the past few years, but should make interesting reading, in particular Central v Norwood a few years back and Norwood v Port, not so long ago.

Surely South should be considered when discussing the BIG 4. We have won more flags than the bays after all

We're talking about this millennium champ.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5478 times
Been liked: 5119 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:42 pm

Spargo wrote:We're talking about this millennium champ.

Not great reading for any of us then....
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7492 times
Been liked: 10774 times

Postby Pseudo » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:11 pm

(double post)
Last edited by Pseudo on Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Been liked: 1557 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Pseudo » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:12 pm

Booney wrote:

This millenium the big four would surely be Central, Central, Norwood and WWT. Yes, Central gets two guernseys.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Been liked: 1557 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby therisingblues » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:25 pm

VALE PARK wrote:Therisingblues.
Did you notice they had 87500 attend the game hardly a flop!
Next year they wil pull similar or more attending.
I think a regular success still counting the cash surely.
We couldn't pull 5% with the current schedule.

Yes I did.
Something for those two clubs to be proud of considering their respective premiership placings/ form going into the match.
The match itself was always going to be a flop however. And if Collingwood were top and Essendon were bottom they'd probably still get 85,000, who knows? A stand alone game on ANZAC day with even a hint of tradition was always going to pack them in. Why the VFL never had the foresight of the SANFL and made it a replay of the previous year's grand final, and promoted it as such, is beyond me. They left their scheduling to Keven Sheedy, coach of Essendon, and Bruce Ruxton, a Collingwood supporter.
If we were to follow that model the ANZAC day game would be between whoever the president of the SA RSL is a supporter of and whichever has the pushiest coach.
Anyway, you get the idea that I'm not a fan of the idea in the AFL and would hate to see it repeated here.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby therisingblues » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:27 pm

Pseudo wrote:
Booney wrote:

This millenium the big four would surely be Central, Central, Norwood and WWT. Yes, Central gets two guernseys.

The big four is an ideological construct based on crowds. I believe any one of Sturt, Norwood, Glenelg and North have a larger potential supporter base.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Mickyj » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:56 pm

therisingblues wrote:
Pseudo wrote:
Booney wrote:

The big four is an ideological construct based on crowds. I believe any one of Sturt, Norwood, Glenelg and North have a larger potential supporter base.

The millennium winners of the flags ie after 2000 would be who
Land based Lure Bream Fisherman
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 22 times

Postby therisingblues » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:01 pm

Don't know why you're asking me that for MickyJ. I am after all talking about the top 4 crowd pullers.
To measure the top four by premierships would be as Pseudo said.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Mickyj » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:06 pm

therisingblues wrote:Don't know why you're asking me that for MickyJ. I am after all talking about the top 4 crowd pullers.

firstly its the anzac game for GF teams from the year before
Not about teams who draw the biggest crowds if we had a draw like that id leave your post alone
honestly its a topic about west v eagles
sorry to mention eagles and west in an eagles and west topic
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Postby Mickyj » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:09 pm

therisingblues wrote:Don't know why you're asking me that for MickyJ. I am after all talking about the top 4 crowd pullers.

Forgive me i thought it was a topic of eagles v west

I'll stop answering in posts that my team is mentioned in the topic because im wrong by the looks of it
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:47 pm

Hi MickyJ.
Yes I think that since this is the West v Eagles thread we can find some space for mentioning those two teams. :lol:
I also agree with you that the ANZAC game should ALWAYS be between the previous year's grand finalists.
I think you might have missed the spark that got me referring to the big 4 crowd pullers, but to summarize, Vale Park reckoned that Norwood v Port year after year on ANZAC day would be a good idea, and I couldn't help but throw my two cents worth in. Here's the initial exchange, and I bolded the bits that I think you will agree with:

therisingblues wrote:

I really pity them.

Anyway, my apologies for side-tracking another thread.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby VALE PARK » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:42 pm

My point is,
given the super low crowd,
(don't reckon the marchers bother attending any more)
I reckon the SANFL will not carry on with game anymore post 2016.
It probably cost them money to open the gates this year.
To me the only smart way to make a profit on the game is to go with a couple of rivals to build a tradition.
I don't think the SANFL would be wise enough to have a go at it because of club bickering.
Hence,to me no more ANZAC games at Adelaide Oval.
Let us see what happens in 2017,
I may be wrong of course.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby robranisgod » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:58 pm

therisingblues wrote:I can't remember the attendances on ANZAC day for the past few years, but should make interesting reading, in particular Central v Norwood a few years back and Norwood v Port, not so long ago.

The following are the Anzac Day crowds for the years 2011-2015

2011 Central District vs Norwood - Adelaide Oval 6,358
2012 Woodville West Torrens vs Central District - Woodville Oval 4,054
2013 Norwood vs West Adelaide - Norwood Oval 6,038
2014 Norwood vs North Adelaide - Adelaide Oval 10,014
2015 Port Adelaide vs Norwood - Adelaide Oval 5,526

NB The Port vs Norwood game was played at 7:10 p.m. on Friday, April 24th

I don't have the crowd for this year, but I believe that the two Grand Finalists have earned the right to play at Adelaide Oval on Anzac Day.

One of the biggest mistakes I think the league made was when they took that right away from the two Grand Finalists in 1986 and played Port and Norwood instead. It took about 8 or 9 years to get the tradition back. How can clubs with lesser supporter bases develop support if they aren't given the premium dates if they have earned them.
Last edited by robranisgod on Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 227 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby therisingblues » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:21 am

Thank you RIG.
I think that proves all three points I wanted to make.
1) Crowds were pretty healthy overall, those 5 matches represent a 6000+ average. Obviously two sides in form is preferable to the same two pre-designated clubs being rolled out no matter where they are on the ladder.
2) The potential for 10,000+ crowds exist, if the right clubs are playing.
3) Port crowd was second lowest, possibly propped up by Norwood's following. Port has no fans anymore. Even in the 2014 Grand Final they were easily outnumbered by the Redlegs fans.
therisingblues
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL