Great Southern Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Great Southern Football League

Postby field of dreams » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:13 pm

Strange game at Victor today with goolwa absolutely dominating the first term to lead 5-2 to 0-0 at the first change. It looked like being a very long day for the Roos but they hit back with the first 3 majors with the breeze before goolwa settled with 2 of their own. Victor then piled on 4 quickly to be only 2 points down at the main break and the game was back on. 7-4 to 7-2.
In the third term Victor took the ascendancy and at the last change lead 11-5 to 8-5 and it seemed would go on to win.
But in the last goolwa hit back hard to tie the scoreboard up, then with another major they lead by 6 points. There was stoppage after stoppage in the Victor forward 50 as the clock ticked but that was to be the end of the scoring with goolwa taking the win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby mutton cove » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:05 am

No D. Loots no McLarens.
mutton cove
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: McLaren

Postby Snap Kick Ninja » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:40 am

mutton cove wrote:No D. Loots no McLarens.

They must need one of the young fellas to fill his shoes and abuse everyone and be a complete flog for them to win. I wonder who will step up?
Snap Kick Ninja
Rookie

Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby jackpot jim » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:53 pm

Snap Kick Ninja wrote:
mutton cove wrote:No D. Loots no McLarens.

They must need one of the young fellas to fill his shoes and abuse everyone and be a complete flog for them to win. I wonder who will step up?

Could be a long season for McLaren.
Won the toss and kicked with the wind in the 1st term but they just couldnt get their hands on the ball as the Creeks dominated play with slick ball movement and precise kicking skills into the stiffish breeze.
McLarens goalkicking accuracy during the match prevented a complete blowout result.
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 448 times

Postby dogsrbarkin » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:45 pm

I am about 3000kms from compass but it looks like the boys had a bit of a win ;) Guggy boy wtf !........ heard you crew had some gun from the league plus the MEGA head. I cant wait to get home and get back to the kennel \:D/ GO U DOGS
dogsrbarkin
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Postby jackpot jim » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:19 am

Bit of a schemozzle at Strath tonight for the traditional Anzac day clash between Strath and Creeks.
Lights went out just as match was due to start. After a 20 minute delay, match got started and after 20 mins into the 1st Term, lights went out again!. After another 20 min delay it was decided to call the 1st quarter finished and the 2nd term to be the SAME as 1st, that being 20 minutes with NO time on. Apparently Timekeepers were told 20 plus time on and it went for 23 1/2 minutes. NOT GOOD ENOUGH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Half time the scores were tied up at 5 - 4 apiece.
2nd half was played per normal and saw Strath get on top of the Creeks who despite getting their fair share of play just couldnt convert on the board as many of their shots at goal were as if they were kicking with a flat footy such was the poorness of it. Strath were more efficient as they went forward and got rewarded for their efforts. Creeks with keeley going back home to Lincoln certainly has left a big hole up forward for the Creeks as Straths defenders dominated in the air marking everything that came their way.
Strath 14 - 8 Def Creeks 8 - 10

Strath a definite Flag contender whilst the Creeks have shown enough in the 1st 3 rounds to eye off 5th spot with confidence.

Some surprising results in other matches with Compass reminding all they'll be around at the business end of the season by BELTING the hapless Magpies. Bays got on the board with a commanding win over Victor whilst Willunga snuck home over Yank to remain unbeaten. Myponga easily over McLaren suggests a long season in store for them.

Is 3 rounds in too early to suggest the top 4 will be Strath, Compass, Bays and Willunga ?
With 5th up for grabs by the rest apart from McLaren ?
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby LuvsFooty » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:23 am

dogsrbarkin wrote:I am about 3000kms from compass but it looks like the boys had a bit of a win ;) Guggy boy wtf !........ heard you crew had some gun from the league plus the MEGA head. I cant wait to get home and get back to the kennel \:D/ GO U DOGS

Result not surprising with 12 blokes from last year's prelim side not playing. A lot of tipsters had us in the top 3 but with your leading goal kicker, best and fairest, ruckman, coach and a bloke with a SANFL flag not playing its a big change. The margin was a surprise, the cue was in the rack pretty early but all credit to Compass. Don't think I have seen a country footy side move the ball that well and make so few mistakes for a long time. With Hoban, Maxfield, Hunter and Corbett as a starting midfield, you wont lose too many. Add in a CHF who doesn't drop a mark and a CHB who has AFL experience and I will wind the Dogs in to $1.95 for the flag.
You can love football, but it wont always love you back!
LuvsFooty
League - Best 21

Been liked: 17 times

Postby field of dreams » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:35 pm

jackpot jim wrote:Is 3 rounds in too early to suggest the top 4 will be Strath, Compass, Bays and Willunga ?
With 5th up for grabs by the rest apart from McLaren ?

Looking that way.

With VH beating MC then losing to GPE one might expect the GPE/MC game to be a close affair. Round one form is obviously not a very good indicator!! Compass have flicked the switch since and VH have played 2 quarters in 2 weeks. Bays, even missing key players, absolutely outplayed VH in every facet. Straight kicking and 3 last quarter goals when the game was done meant the scoreboard flattered VH. Be interesting to see if they can re-group and put up a better showing over at the Creek this week.
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby jackpot jim » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:34 pm

field of dreams wrote: Be interesting to see if they can re-group and put up a better showing over at the Creek this week.

They'll have every chance to as quite a few Creek lads looked very sore in limping off the ground late last night and with only a 4 1/2 day break, they could well struggle to run the game out.
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby ball breaker » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:17 am

Called into the local footy at Goolwa on the weekend whilst visiting the town. Watched the bs where I saw some average cheap shots on some young lads.

No s 21 and 16 for the magpies should b ashamed of themselves.

Not sure if it's a one off or they were antagonised but may pay to keep an eye on them. The guys they hit looked young,!! Thankfully no serious injuries!!,
ball breaker
Under 16s

Has liked: 33 times

Postby LuvsFooty » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:39 am

ball breaker wrote:Called into the local footy at Goolwa on the weekend whilst visiting the town. Watched the bs where I saw some average cheap shots on some young lads.

Not sure if it's a one off or they were antagonised but may pay to keep an eye on them. The guys they hit looked young,!! Thankfully no serious injuries!!,

Sharp eye there ball breaker. One player for the match was sent off by the umpires. Fill us in on that one if you don't mind? Antagonised or one off?
LuvsFooty
League - Best 21

Postby field of dreams » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:27 pm

LuvsFooty wrote:
ball breaker wrote:Called into the local footy at Goolwa on the weekend whilst visiting the town. Watched the bs where I saw some average cheap shots on some young lads.

Sharp eye there ball breaker. One player for the match was sent off by the umpires. Fill us in on that one if you don't mind? Antagonised or one off?

Sounds like they need a stabilizing on-field influence LF ;)
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby the wonder elephant » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:19 pm

LuvsFooty wrote:

Think u will find that he is on the money LF ...have herd a few comments re. The youg fellas being sniped . But weather provoked or not not sure .
the wonder elephant
League - Best 21

Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby LuvsFooty » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:13 am

the wonder elephant wrote:
LuvsFooty wrote:

Think u will find that he is on the money LF ...have herd a few comments re. The youg fellas being sniped . But weather provoked or not not sure .

He could well be spot on but I think its a 2-way street. Number 1 for us is 18 years old and about 40kg's. What happened to him a few times probably wasn't on. He got on with the game because he doesn't carry his birth certificate with him (as a side note, this was the reason for the scuffle in the forward pocket where Compass players left the bench to become involved. Players leaving the bench to fight is probably frowned upon) . No injuries, no reports and the one player for the game sent off was a Compass player, so I think we can probably move on
LuvsFooty
League - Best 21

Postby dogsrbarkin » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:56 pm

LuvsFooty wrote:
LuvsFooty wrote:

He could well be spot on but I think its a 2-way street. Number 1 for us is 18 years old and about 40kg's. What happened to him a few times probably wasn't on. He got on with the game because he doesn't carry his birth certificate with him (as a side note, this was the reason for the scuffle in the forward pocket where Compass players left the bench to become involved. Players leaving the bench to fight is probably frowned upon) . No injuries, no reports and the one player for the game sent off was a Compass player, so I think we can probably move on

Yep ....Play on ol mate ;) Plenty of other things to talk about
dogsrbarkin
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time

Postby oldbomber » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:18 am

LuvsFooty wrote:
LuvsFooty wrote:

Are you serious? That is disgusting if true. Opposing captain should have called a head count got their score wiped back to zero. Who won? Compass should be held accountable for this and stripped of points if they took the honours. Bad look for the game and hopefully a one off. Strong leadership required at league level to ensure this doesnt happen again.
oldbomber
Rookie

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby LexLuther » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:15 am

I heard all 3 players left the bench, took their boots off and used them as weapons
LexLuther
Mini-League

Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Yankalilla

Postby Tiger83 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:28 pm

LexLuther wrote:I heard all 3 players left the bench, took their boots off and used them as weapons

I heard a nipple cripple and Chinese burn was also used... Disgraceful if true...
Tiger83
Under 18s

Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby neverwas neverwillbe » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:47 pm

I heard that one guy said, "Well my dad's an astronaut."

Dingo took my baby.
Dingo took my baby.
neverwas neverwillbe
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times