South Adelaide Old Nickname

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

South Adelaide Old Nickname

Postby Panther Pack » Wed May 04, 2016 10:53 pm

Does anyone know South Adelaide's old nickname I think it is something like Yeeeeooo (not sure on spelling)

What is the history behind it and why isn't it used anymore?
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 137 times

Re: South Adelaide Old Nickname

Postby blueandwhite » Wed May 04, 2016 11:11 pm

Panther Pack wrote:Does anyone know South Adelaide's old nickname I think it is something like Yeeeeooo (not sure on spelling)

Dont hold me to this...but...

When the South Adelaide Football club came into being in 1876 (oldest existing club in the SANFL) South was very much a city based club. The River Torrens in those days was very much a source of water for the colony at the time. Souths' proximity to the Torrens saw them often referred to as
"Ye old Freshwaters"- which over time of course became "YE - OH's." Its fair to say that times have changed in 140 years and now the closest part of our zone is almost 28km from the river Torrens. We are the only sanfl club to have none of its original zone however we are the only club to still wear its original colours.
It still is used at games by shall we say ..by some of our older members. :)
Tiocfaidh ár Lá
blueandwhite
League - Best 21

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 218 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby heater31 » Wed May 04, 2016 11:20 pm

blueandwhite wrote:
Panther Pack wrote:Does anyone know South Adelaide's old nickname I think it is something like Yeeeeooo (not sure on spelling)

When the South Adelaide Football club came into being in 1876 (oldest existing club in the SANFL) South was very much a city based club. The River Torrens in those days was very much a source of water for the colony at the time. Souths' proximity to the Torrens saw them often referred to as
"Ye old Freshwaters"- which over time of course became "YE - OH's." Its fair to say that times have changed in 140 years and now the closest part of our zone is almost 28km from the river Torrens. We are the only sanfl club to have none of its original zone however we are the only club to still wear its original colours.

Yeah that's my recollection of it as well.

So it's used by a fair proportion of supporters still ;)
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Panther Pack » Wed May 04, 2016 11:29 pm

blueandwhite wrote:

Thanks Blue and White have heard it a few times at our games and wondered what it was all about.

Maybe it's time it made a comeback go the YE OH's
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby Jimmy » Thu May 05, 2016 3:35 am

Only club that retains its original colours? Really? I know port were pink and white...what were the other clubs colours initially?
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby johntheclaret » Thu May 05, 2016 7:39 am

blueandwhite wrote:

Good post blueandawhite and good knowledge.
I love to hear these kind of stories.
Thanks
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby therisingblues » Thu May 05, 2016 8:07 am

Jimmy wrote:Only club that retains its original colours? Really? I know port were pink and white...what were the other clubs colours initially?

Yes, first thought to spring to my mind too.
Then Sturt's colours were chosen through the street names where the club is located. The two blues of Oxford and Cambridge universities. To my knowledge these have been Sturt's only colours.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Wedgie » Thu May 05, 2016 8:56 am

North has been red and white since it was formed in 1881 then known as Medindie. They got their red and white colours from Prince Alfred College.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2021 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Pseudo » Thu May 05, 2016 10:38 am

I don't think Central or WWT has ever had a different colour scheme.

Glenelg has only ever work Black and Gold in league ranks. According to Pride Of The Bay there was some red on the jumper when it served its one-year apprenticeship in the reserves competition.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby darley16 » Thu May 05, 2016 11:28 am

Blueandwhite i've heard the same history about our name as you, i have also heard another version that if people on the Northern bank of the Torrens River had to get the attention of those on Southern Bank they would yell out YEE-OH. Therefore the folk on the South side become known as the Yee-oh's.
darley16
Under 18s

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby therisingblues » Thu May 05, 2016 4:24 pm

Great stories people, keep them coming.

I've heard a story, a little bit off topic but maybe relevant, that people never actually said "ye". They actually said "the" and there used to exist another letter in our alphabet, that closely resembled a "Y" and was pronounced "th" as in "the", "they", "though" etc. Over time the use of this letter was replaced by combining a "t" and an "h". These days when we look at old documents we see a letter that looks like a "Y" and pronounce it like a "Y", when in fact, people would have said "th".
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu May 05, 2016 5:00 pm

Never knew this about our Southern cousins. Nice work all.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby RB » Thu May 05, 2016 5:08 pm

therisingblues wrote:Great stories people, keep them coming.

I've heard a story, a little bit off topic but maybe relevant, that people never actually said "ye". They actually said "the" and there used to exist another letter in our alphabet, that closely resembled a "Y" and was pronounced "th" as in "the", "they", "though" etc. Over time the use of this letter was replaced by combining a "t" and an "h". These days when we look at old documents we see a letter that looks like a "Y" and pronounce it like a "Y", when in fact, people would have said "th".

I believe the 'Y' letter was called a 'thorn', as this was a word it was used for.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby Leaping Lindner » Tue May 10, 2016 2:02 pm

blueandwhite wrote:

And Port were sometimes referred to as the saltwaters. Some old match reports mention the game being between "the saltwaters" and the "freshwaters".

Funnily enough all SANFL clubs wear their original league team colours, except Port Adelaide, who became black and white in 1902.
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby therisingblues » Thu May 12, 2016 8:53 pm

After they were initially pink and white.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Rising Power » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:23 pm

Initially blue and white. The pink came later.
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby Bluedemon » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:01 am

When did South become the Panthers?
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 96 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby therisingblues » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:23 am

Bluedemon wrote:When did South become the Panthers?

I reckon I've heard this one.
There was a discussion over on doubleblue.org about 4 or 5 years back about how Sturt became the Blues. I think it was mentioned on there that the SANFL encouraged all teams to standardize, and each choose a mascot and club song. I think that was in the 50's. It might have been that one or two clubs had mascots before that time, and that provided the impetus for everyone to follow suit.
Not sure who did what first, the only things I am sure of is that Sturt adopted "It's a Grand Old Flag" before Norwood did, and that West were once known as the Sturt Desert Peas.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby RB » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:44 pm

therisingblues wrote:I think it was mentioned on there that the SANFL encouraged all teams to standardize, and each choose a mascot and club song. I think that was in the 50's.

FWIW I believe Torrens took the nickname 'Eagles' in the 1950s, possibly at the suggestion of Bob Hank.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby blueandwhite » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:30 am

After a recent discussion on this topic with a former South Adelaide historian, some new information has come to hand!- that has blown my other theory out of the water!
If we go back to the very early days of SA footy .. when South Adelaide made the journey to Port Adelaide.. it was quite a logistical task! It was also a dangerous journey as apparently after defeating Port in one game the South players were pelted by rocks from the unruly Port supporters....thankfully times have changed.. :roll:
In the late 1870s there of course were no automobiles, no bitumen roads and only a dirt road between the city where South were located and Ethelton? where I believe Ports home ground was located at the time. The transport of the day was basically a horse and cart!. all the players would congregate at a pre arranged time and place and travel together in an open horse and cart set up.
The journey to Ethelton would involve spelling and feeding the horses at a point somewhere halfway between the city and Ethelton. It was arranged that they would be spelled and fed at a Stable and livery store near Woodville. It also happened that the Livery store was very adjacent to the Woodville Hotel,on Port Rd.- which still stands today.. this was of course a satisfactory arrangement for the players on the return journey.The stables in question were on Treventon St almost behind the Woodville Hotel...the proprietor of these stables was a Mr. Yeo. When approaching the stables.. the players aboard the horse drawn cart would yell his name....."Yeee-oh!" ..and that is how the name became folk law at South Adelaide.
Tiocfaidh ár Lá
blueandwhite
League - Best 21

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 218 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum