2016 SANFL Crowds

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: 2016 SANFL Crowds

Postby JK » Sun May 15, 2016 11:55 am

CUTTERMAN wrote:I've struggled to get to all Sturt games this year due to going to the soccer and being away. Yesterday was the third game I've attended. I've vowed not to go to any AFL reserves games this year as it just leaves me with bitter feelings towards the comp. I've given the reserves teams a fair go but no longer.
One thing that really irks me is that one of the "benefits" pushed by the media for the inclusion of the reserves teams was the eradication of the byes (which I never really minded), yet 7 rounds in and Sturt have had 2 byes already, I struggle to take the comp seriously if backflips and lies like these are shoved down my throat.
I've been a Sturt member for many years and this is the first year I haven't felt compelled to. Do I feel guilty, a little, enough for me to join up? Possibly.

The comp has taken so many hits to the guts in recent years I think it's pretty well terminal now. The advent of the AFL imposed deliberate OOB rule is just another punch to the head, I don't think anyone likes it and I think the umpires struggle with it also.
I can't see how attendances are going to increase with the current situation. Something major has to change but no one in any position of power or influence has the balls to make a stand publicly. It's pretty sad and pathetic.

Good post mate. I've lost the routine of going every week now. With a few health challenges and a young family, but the constant byes and terrible scheduling have been the main contributor though. Unfortunately, I don't see how these things can be changed when the requirements of the AFL clubs are the main priority. With their need to not play the AFL clubs games against their AFL matches, and the mandatory length of break required by AFL players bargaining agreements, IMHO there is no solution to the fixturing whilst the AFL clubs remain.

Get the feeling that the SANFL diehards have fought the good fight for a lot longer than many predicted or expected, but more and more have conceded defeat now.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby CUTTERMAN » Sun May 15, 2016 12:10 pm

JK wrote:
CUTTERMAN wrote:I've struggled to get to all Sturt games this year due to going to the soccer and being away. Yesterday was the third game I've attended. I've vowed not to go to any AFL reserves games this year as it just leaves me with bitter feelings towards the comp. I've given the reserves teams a fair go but no longer.
One thing that really irks me is that one of the "benefits" pushed by the media for the inclusion of the reserves teams was the eradication of the byes (which I never really minded), yet 7 rounds in and Sturt have had 2 byes already, I struggle to take the comp seriously if backflips and lies like these are shoved down my throat.
I've been a Sturt member for many years and this is the first year I haven't felt compelled to. Do I feel guilty, a little, enough for me to join up? Possibly.

The comp has taken so many hits to the guts in recent years I think it's pretty well terminal now. The advent of the AFL imposed deliberate OOB rule is just another punch to the head, I don't think anyone likes it and I think the umpires struggle with it also.
I can't see how attendances are going to increase with the current situation. Something major has to change but no one in any position of power or influence has the balls to make a stand publicly. It's pretty sad and pathetic.

Good post mate. I've lost the routine of going every week now. With a few health challenges and a young family, but the constant byes and terrible scheduling have been the main contributor though. Unfortunately, I don't see how these things can be changed when the requirements of the AFL clubs are the main priority. With their need to not play the AFL clubs games against their AFL matches, and the mandatory length of break required by AFL players bargaining agreements, IMHO there is no solution to the fixturing whilst the AFL clubs remain.

Get the feeling that the SANFL diehards have fought the good fight for a lot longer than many predicted or expected, but more and more have conceded defeat now.

I've been told of numerous proposed changes to the structure since the reserves sides entered and not one has come to fruition. That tells me that there are people within clubs that are trying to implement change but they're hamstrung, ignored or overruled. Nothing will change until either Power or Adelaide win the GF, even then it'll be spun in some way or hushed up, let's face it, if Power playing in the GF a few years ago wasn't enough to make change then nothing will.
I'd strongly support any SANFL club to aggressively break the salary cap and take the SANFL to court when they attempt to penalise them.
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby Wedgie » Sun May 15, 2016 12:27 pm

Have I misread something or is the only game on Saturday contrasting with the Crows AFL sides game next week the Crows reserves v Centrals?
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2023 times
Been liked: 3868 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby JK » Sun May 15, 2016 12:36 pm

Wedgie wrote:Have I misread something or is the only game on Saturday contrasting with the Crows AFL sides game next week the Crows reserves v Centrals?

:shock: .. Well that f***'s part of my argument .. Happy to be corrected. The rest stands though.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Jim05 » Sun May 15, 2016 12:42 pm

Wedgie wrote:Have I misread something or is the only game on Saturday contrasting with the Crows AFL sides game next week the Crows reserves v Centrals?

Correct
Dogs v Ravens at 2:10
Suns v Crows at 1:40
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3536 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby saintal » Sun May 15, 2016 12:44 pm

The Dogs prefer Saturday arvos don't they? I guess they are putting their preferences ahead of getting an extra 100 free-loaders through the gates.

Or a conspiracy theory might be that b/c the Dogs voted against this crap they get shafted with the scheduling... 8)
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby Magellan » Sun May 15, 2016 12:46 pm

CUTTERMAN wrote:I've vowed not to go to any AFL reserves games this year as it just leaves me with bitter feelings towards the comp. I've given the reserves teams a fair go but no longer.

^ This. As I stated in another thread, I drew the same conclusion after witnessing last week's game at Prospect. I just can't watch those games anymore. A win doesn't really count if the other team are using it as practice, and a loss is a horrible feeling when you know the opposition are not really trying.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Jim05 » Sun May 15, 2016 12:59 pm

saintal wrote:The Dogs prefer Saturday arvos don't they? I guess they are putting their preferences ahead of getting an extra 100 free-loaders through the gates.

Or a conspiracy theory might be that b/c the Dogs voted against this crap they get shafted with the scheduling... 8)

Do they really prefer Saturday games?
I don't know what type of crowds they get at Ammos but local footy in the Barossa prevents a lot more people from attending SANFL
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3536 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Magellan » Sun May 15, 2016 1:39 pm

saintal wrote:The Dogs prefer Saturday arvos don't they? I guess they are putting their preferences ahead of getting an extra 100 free-loaders through the gates.

So do North and from my understanding we requested Saturday games but instead got lumped with a truckload of Sunday games. And we voted for the AFL sides' inclusion! Some thanks! No respect, as Rodney Dangerfield said (he's no relation to Patrick, Crows fans, so don't boo).
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby PhilH » Sun May 15, 2016 2:10 pm

Struggling to remember the last time there was a Sunday game at Elizabeth.

And with the decision not to play night footy it leaves only one time slot available.

Pity as Central with their Good Friday game have some good growth in the home crowds so far this year.

End of next week we will have 37 games played (end of rd 8) v 37 games played at end of Rd 7 last year.

So will be able to do a reasonable comparison.

I suspect the crowd stats will show a slight drop - at best line ball with last year, at worst 3-4%
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby CUTTERMAN » Sun May 15, 2016 2:17 pm

PhilH wrote:Struggling to remember the last time there was a Sunday game at Elizabeth.

And with the decision not to play night footy it leaves only one time slot available.

Pity as Central with their Good Friday game have some good growth in the home crowds so far this year.

End of next week we will have 37 games played (end of rd 8) v 37 games played at end of Rd 7 last year.

So will be able to do a reasonable comparison.

I suspect the crowd stats will show a slight drop - at best line ball with last year, at worst 3-4%

Have you got any idea of club memberships this year Phil? Sturt's is meant to be over 3000 which is a good figure all things considered.
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby StrayDog » Sun May 15, 2016 2:22 pm

CUTTERMAN wrote:

Yeah, I know what you mean.

My Club with has just come off its second bye the week after yours after sharing the Round 2 honours. Norwood's have been in Rounds 3 and 8, and the Eagles have got two weeks off on the trot (R9 plus the inter-league match) after a bye in R6. I'm sure there are other cases.

Worst SANFL fixture ever, not that it needs pointing out. I feel for fellow fans, ie, those that didn't ask for this, that have been stuffed around so royally.

As for most of the clubs, well, any inconvenience to them is purely on them. If we chose to go fishing on isolated rocks, then we shouldn't complain when the tide comes in.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby PhilH » Sun May 15, 2016 2:58 pm

Have you got any idea of club memberships this year Phil? Sturt's is meant to be over 3000 which is a good figure all things considered.

On the surface, that is a good figure.

Short answer is no.

I suspect (with no proof) that most clubs have seen drops it recent years but things are now starting to stabilise at this lower level.

Each club publicises if they wish and given recent declines many don't.

Also the interpretation of what is a counted member varies greatly
- does a Life Member count? (they get to vote at AGMs)
- do those that sign up for a free junior membership count?
- do those who might automatically receive by playing junior footy a free junior membership count?
- do those who are under 18 (can't vote) but pay a junior membership count?
- what about a home match ticket that is received in a sponsorship package, sponsor has paid for the ticket
- do you count your volunteers who might get season tickets and a membership as part of their honourarium

Personally I think there should be a standardised interpretation across the SANFL
and there should be a public membership ladder somewhere across the 8 clubs (do not include Port Magpies)
Then let there be public competition among the 8 clubs and it's supporters to raise the bar.

Eagles publicised figure is 1722 (possibly a couple more pending update)

This does not include
about 2800 free U13 junior members who have signed up over recent years
nor an additional 500 or so auskickers who do get an automatic trial pack within their auskick items.

nor to be clear
- does it ever
- has it ever
- or will it ever (I hope)
include any pets.
PhilH
League - Top 5

Postby whufc » Sun May 15, 2016 3:42 pm

PhilH wrote:

On the surface, that is a good figure.

Short answer is no.

I suspect (with no proof) that most clubs have seen drops it recent years but things are now starting to stabilise at this lower level.

Each club publicises if they wish and given recent declines many don't.

Also the interpretation of what is a counted member varies greatly
- does a Life Member count? (they get to vote at AGMs)
- do those that sign up for a free junior membership count?
- do those who might automatically receive by playing junior footy a free junior membership count?
- do those who are under 18 (can't vote) but pay a junior membership count?
- what about a home match ticket that is received in a sponsorship package, sponsor has paid for the ticket
- do you count your volunteers who might get season tickets and a membership as part of their honourarium

Personally I think there should be a standardised interpretation across the SANFL
and there should be a public membership ladder somewhere across the 8 clubs (do not include Port Magpies)
Then let there be public competition among the 8 clubs and it's supporters to raise the bar.

Eagles publicised figure is 1722 (possibly a couple more pending update)

This does not include
about 2800 free U13 junior members who have signed up over recent years
nor an additional 500 or so auskickers who do get an automatic trial pack within their auskick items.

nor to be clear
- does it ever
- has it ever
- or will it ever (I hope)
include any pets.

Why the hate for pet memberships

While they should never ever ever be included in a clubs membership total im also not sure clubs are in financial positions to be knocking people who literally want to donate money to say there pet is a member

I'm not sure how they can be bad things
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5566 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby PhilH » Sun May 15, 2016 3:56 pm

Don't hate them ... just need to knock on the head the vicious rumour spread on here that our membership numbers are boosted by them.
PhilH
League - Top 5

Postby Gozu » Sun May 15, 2016 4:22 pm

PhilH wrote:Don't hate them ... just need to knock on the head the vicious rumour spread on here that our membership numbers are boosted by them.

"I am not an animal! I am a human being!"
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby Wedgie » Sun May 15, 2016 7:26 pm

Anyone have pet membership numbers?
Thats where its at.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby PhilH » Sun May 15, 2016 7:30 pm

Eagles - 0
PhilH
League - Top 5

Postby Wedgie » Sun May 15, 2016 8:52 pm

PhilH wrote:Eagles - 0

Poor form Eagles. So anti animal.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Magellan » Mon May 16, 2016 4:01 am

Wedgie wrote:Poor form Eagles. So anti animal.

NOOOO!!!!! ANIMAL WANT WOODVILLE-WEST TORRENS FOOTBALL CLUB MEMBERSHIP!!!!

Magellan
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL