Carlton

Talk on the national game

Re: Carlton

Postby gadj1976 » Sun May 29, 2016 8:28 pm

stan wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:Personally I still can't see Cas playing. Last week we had one tall forward in Jones and he wasn't our worst. So why would you drop Jones for Cas? Especially against Taylor Lonergan Henderson? I would not be surprised if both were late withdrawals.

Maybe going in smaller up forward looking for a obvious miss match?

Apparently not.

Fantastic win.

Gee the Cats are off the boil.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Sun May 29, 2016 8:43 pm

Well done the Blues. One team out there was prepared to go hard for the ball and work for a team mate and it wasn't us. The Cats were bad but only because the Blues put a lot of pressure on.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1817 times

Postby Grahaml » Sun May 29, 2016 9:29 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
bennymacca wrote:He would be an out and out star if he had produced this consistently over the past 5 years!

Finally showing what he is capable of

Yeah but playing in a bottom side is a lot harder to produce then playing in a really good side.
He is a lot more consistent now though than say 3 years ago

Chicken and the egg theory though isn't it?
Maybe if Gibbs and the other dozen top 10 picks Carlton have had over the years had been consistant they wouldn't of been a poor side.

Unfortunately for these high draft picks there weren't any real leaders other than Judd to show them the way.

Don't think it's the high picked players at all. Kruezer, Murphy, Gibbs and Simpson have all been serviceable enough in their time. To me it's the sheer lack of development of anything BUT those high picks and they came with talent galore so they were always unlikely to not become good players. Look at any good side and you'll probably find a few high picks floating around, but the core of the side is blokes who weren't as highly rated on draft day that the club saw something in and made into something. That's what Carlton (Richmond and Melbourne) have been below par at for too long.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby daysofourlives » Sun May 29, 2016 9:45 pm

Yeah look at all the rookies the Crows turned into premiership players,
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby gadj1976 » Sun May 29, 2016 9:47 pm

Grahaml wrote:Don't think it's the high picked players at all. Kruezer, Murphy, Gibbs and Simpson have all been serviceable enough in their time. To me it's the sheer lack of development of anything BUT those high picks and they came with talent galore so they were always unlikely to not become good players. Look at any good side and you'll probably find a few high picks floating around, but the core of the side is blokes who weren't as highly rated on draft day that the club saw something in and made into something. That's what Carlton (Richmond and Melbourne) have been below par at for too long.

COM-Pletely agree Graham. Look at our recruits from 2009-2014 and check how many are still with us. I think you'll find most are gone. Those top picks aren't the issue, it's the other supporting soldiers around them that we should've developed that are the issue. Our development was horrendous. Watson was a prime example. He was a Vic Metro CHB but didn't cut it at Carlton despite being a very high draft pick AND us needing a key position player desperately. I dare say at most other clubs he'd still be in the system.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Sun May 29, 2016 9:52 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:Well done the Blues. One team out there was prepared to go hard for the ball and work for a team mate and it wasn't us. The Cats were bad but only because the Blues put a lot of pressure on.

regards,

REB

Credit to us REB but you guys were very ordinary today. I didn't see the Pies game last week but what's going on with your mob (maybe transfer this conversation to the Geelong thread.

I'm stoked with our progress this year. I suppose given the fact I was bagging the stupid old pr*ck that was coaching us last year, this year is all the more sweeter. AND that most had us as "the worst list" and finishing below Essendon in 18th.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby Grahaml » Mon May 30, 2016 12:26 am

daysofourlives wrote:Yeah look at all the rookies the Crows turned into premiership players,

How is that comment remotely relevant to anything? That's some bitterness about something, although not sure what. Is your problem with the Crows? Me? Or just bitter about life in general? What a barrel of laughs you must be to hang around with.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon May 30, 2016 1:44 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:Well done the Blues. One team out there was prepared to go hard for the ball and work for a team mate and it wasn't us. The Cats were bad but only because the Blues put a lot of pressure on.

regards,

REB

Credit to us REB but you guys were very ordinary today. I didn't see the Pies game last week but what's going on with your mob (maybe transfer this conversation to the Geelong thread.

I'm stoked with our progress this year. I suppose given the fact I was bagging the stupid old pr*ck that was coaching us last year, this year is all the more sweeter. AND that most had us as "the worst list" and finishing below Essendon in 18th.

No midfield workrate and atrocious goalkicking. Team needs a boot up the arse and so does our shit truck coach.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Former Glory » Mon May 30, 2016 1:53 pm

Great win by the blues given their reduced numbers on the bench from the get go, many would have expected that team to roll over as the game went on but they continued to work their guts out. Not sure if anyone saw the post match on field interviews, Gibbs was first then they interviewed Docherty, you could see over Docherty's right shoulder Gibb's having a big spew, obviously flogged himself.
Former Glory
Mini-League

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 8 times

Postby Booney » Mon May 30, 2016 1:54 pm

Former Glory wrote:Great win by the blues given their reduced numbers on the bench from the get go, many would have expected that team to roll over as the game went on but they continued to work their guts out. Not sure if anyone saw the post match on field interviews, Gibbs was first then they interviewed Docherty, you could see over Docherty's right shoulder Gibb's having a big spew, obviously flogged himself.

I see him as that sort of bloke too.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby marbles » Mon May 30, 2016 2:53 pm

Grahaml wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:Yeah but playing in a bottom side is a lot harder to produce then playing in a really good side.
He is a lot more consistent now though than say 3 years ago

Chicken and the egg theory though isn't it?
Maybe if Gibbs and the other dozen top 10 picks Carlton have had over the years had been consistant they wouldn't of been a poor side.

Unfortunately for these high draft picks there weren't any real leaders other than Judd to show them the way.

Don't think it's the high picked players at all. Kruezer, Murphy, Gibbs and Simpson have all been serviceable enough in their time. To me it's the sheer lack of development of anything BUT those high picks and they came with talent galore so they were always unlikely to not become good players. Look at any good side and you'll probably find a few high picks floating around, but the core of the side is blokes who weren't as highly rated on draft day that the club saw something in and made into something. That's what Carlton (Richmond and Melbourne) have been below par at for too long.

maybe if we didnt hire a senile bitter ex collingwood boof head who was only in it to expand his face time on tv, our club would have crumbled around him and these talented players would have had positive seasons previously

now a coach comes in who actually cares, and theyre all suddenly nearly agraders again
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby Booney » Mon May 30, 2016 2:59 pm

Makes the Ratten sacking look worse and worse by the minute, doesn't it?

Who were the chiefs at the stage Marbles? CEO, Football GM etc?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Mon May 30, 2016 4:55 pm

Booney wrote:Makes the Ratten sacking look worse and worse by the minute, doesn't it?

That decision has set the club back 10 years.
Well that and the appointment of that knob jockey Malthouse.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2512 times

Postby Turbo » Mon May 30, 2016 5:15 pm

Booney wrote:Makes the Ratten sacking look worse and worse by the minute, doesn't it?

Kernahan was prez, can't remember if it was Swann who was CEO at the time. Andy McKay involved also.
Turbo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 38 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby Booney » Mon May 30, 2016 5:19 pm

Turbo wrote:

Kernahan was prez, can't remember if it was Swann who was CEO at the time. Andy McKay involved also.

Good work by a couple of club legends.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Mon May 30, 2016 5:24 pm

Bring back Jack!
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2512 times

Postby Turbo » Mon May 30, 2016 8:47 pm

Booney wrote:
Turbo wrote:

Good work by a couple of club legends.

Yeah I reckon they were against it from memory but were outvoted
Turbo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 38 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby marbles » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:29 am

Blues currently 6 wins 5 losses, just looking at their remaining matches as which ones might be winnable and how many games they might win for the year....

saints *
giants (away)
magpies *
crows
eagles
swans (away)
hawks
saints *
lions (away) *
demons *
bombers *

i think they should be favourites to win 6 of these
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:45 pm

Essendon and Brisbane are so bad that I reckon you might need 13 wins to make the eight but a hell of an effort by Bolton's Blues all the same. Coach of the year.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:00 pm

I happened to stumble across Chris McDermott's article in the paper where he rated all the teams. I don't know if I was reading it wrong or not, but I thought I saw him give Carlton a C and Melbourne a B-. If that is the case, I can't fathom what gear he's on.

For a team that was widely regarded as 'the worst list' and tipped to finish 18 and lose to Essendon, maybe twice, I think it's a fantastic effort in a VERY short time to turn around this group.

Well done Bolts, keep up the good work.
gadj1976
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL