R10 - Sturt v Adelaide @ Unley Oval Sat

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: R10 - Sturt v Adelaide @ Unley Oval Sat

Postby therisingblues » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:35 pm

Magellan wrote:
therisingblues wrote:I reckon that unless we arranged some sort of scoreboard prompt, the exercise of them coming up with anything to say themselves just might be beyond them.
The football version of a live TV game show audience.

Maybe you could encourage them to speak by asking them if they're going to The Shed after the game?

Ah, I see. A scaffolded discussion! Not sure if it's such a good idea encouraging ravens fans to express what little thought occurs between their ears though. Look what happens at Crows home games. At least I have a TV screen to buffer the annoyance level in that situation.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby therisingblues » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:49 pm

So just to recap, we have a well supported heritage club in desperate need of the two points to remain top of the table, with little hope of beating a practice squad, ranked two premierships placings below it, stacked with professionals, with virtually no supporters, which considers winning a bonus rather than a requirement.
Is that right?
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Jimmy » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:51 pm

haha...live stream has dropped out at unley....******* useless
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby bomber14 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:35 pm

Jimmy wrote:haha...live stream has dropped out at unley....******* useless

So sick of this type of attitude, there's blokes there trying there best to provide some coverage of the game (which otherwise there wouldn't be any at all) and you sit behind your keyboard slagging them off. No wonder the competition is declining when this is the attitude, people trying to do something positive are just met with negative criticism.

That's just my two cents.

Anyway to the game, which I watched via the stream and thought the stream team did a great job of calling it.
Great contest and great win for the Double Blues.
Kirkwood and Riley massive all day, Crocker and Martin were huge in the final term.
Mark Evans kicked a goal of the year contender in a crucial moment in the last.

All up a great display of SANFL footy IMO
bomber14
Mini-League

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Payneham NU

Postby Jimmy » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:50 pm

bomber14 wrote:

So sick of this type of attitude, there's blokes there trying there best to provide some coverage of the game (which otherwise there wouldn't be any at all) and you sit behind your keyboard slagging them off. No wonder the competition is declining when this is the attitude, people trying to do something positive are just met with negative criticism.

That's just my two cents.

Anyway to the game, which I watched via the stream and thought the stream team did a great job of calling it.
Great contest and great win for the Double Blues.
Kirkwood and Riley massive all day, Crocker and Martin were huge in the final term.
Mark Evans kicked a goal of the year contender in a crucial moment in the last.

All up a great display of SANFL footy IMO

fair enough but don't be so precious. it's not difficult...if it's volunteers from sturt doing it, i'll give em the benefit of the doubt, if it's blokes from the SANFL then my comment stands.
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Postby cennals05 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:09 pm

The streaming is paid for by the SANFL. I'm guessing it's outsourced? They are not volunteers that are doing their best, they are a company that are getting paid to provide a service. If it keeps going down then yes it is shit house and we can complain. After all our clubs and us are the ones paying for the service in the end.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby daysofourlives » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:14 pm

No live scores today, 1st time for everything, interest is peaking then.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Jimmy » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:17 pm

daysofourlives wrote:No live scores today, 1st time for everything, interest is peaking then.

it's been the theme all year....

i honestly was glued to the computer screen all game it was that much of a great game and just relief Sturt were able to get that extra bit out of themselves to pull in front.
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:18 pm

daysofourlives wrote:No live scores today, 1st time for everything, interest is peaking then.

The 4000 Cows fans there can't post and knit at the same time[emoji1]
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby therisingblues » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:31 pm

******* ripper game!
Sturt were good. Apart from about 3 minutes midway through the third quarter, during which Adelaide got one easy goal and thankfully failed to confer the other, apart from those 3 minutes, we seemed to he doing everything possible to deny the ravens. Pressure, pressure, and more bloody pressure, and then some sensational individual performances. Evans grubber gal from the right southern pocket in the final quarter...mate we were up and about in the terraces celebrating like all madness.
Carn you Blues!!!
therisingblues
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:54 pm

Never seen so many ravens fans before. There were so many that you could hear people cheering when they got a goal. I reckon they had between 300 to 500 of them there.
Then there were about 3,000 Sturt fans. Great atmosphere put on by the bluebaggers.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Cambridge Clarrie » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:45 pm

Great game, great crowd, great atmosphere, awesome result!

It's nice to have a team to hate as much as Port...

Fantastic effort by Sturt today. They just didn't give up. Martin, Riley, Kirkwood, F Evans, Lienert and Crocker were all brilliant. Evans' goal from the south western pocket was a ripper!

Proved today that we are genuine contenders...
"They do say, Mrs M, that verbal insults hurt more than physical pain. They are, of course, wrong, as you will soon discover when I stick this toasting fork into your head"
Cambridge Clarrie
League - Best 21

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 31 times

Postby StrayDog » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:52 pm

Cambridge Clarrie wrote:Great game, great crowd, great atmosphere, awesome result!

Fantastic effort by Sturt today. They just didn't give up. Martin, Riley, Kirkwood, F Evans, Lienert and Crocker were all brilliant. Evans' goal from the south western pocket was a ripper!

To hold the Ravens to 10-ish goals is a pretty fair effort considering the AFL laden side they apparently (going by other posters, I wouldn't know a Crows AFL player if I tripped over one) put on the park today. Not entirely surprising as Sturt are proving to be very good defensive side this year, and they certainly seem to know how to play their home ground to good effect. My team found that out the hard way.

Ravens now knocked down to fifth, about five goals behind Centrals on percentage. Sturt confirming themselves as a benchmark this year.

For what it's worth, not sure I agree with you re "hate" comparison - for reasons best left to another thread - but to each their own I guess.

Saw a bit of the live Youtube ("Sairnfull" - grrrh!) stream on a good size screen via X-Box and was pretty impressed with the video quality. I look forward to the League putting more promotion into this. That said, a bit of added exposure for more of the traditional sides, ie, those not necessarily already getting more than their fair share on C7, would be nice also.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby Jimmy » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:57 pm

StrayDog wrote:
Cambridge Clarrie wrote:Great game, great crowd, great atmosphere, awesome result!

To hold the Ravens to 10-ish goals is a pretty fair effort considering the AFL laden side they apparently (going by other posters, I wouldn't know a Crows AFL player if I tripped over one) put on the park today. Not entirely surprising as Sturt are proving to be very good defensive side this year, and they certainly seem to know how to play their home ground to good effect. My team found that out the hard way.

Ravens now knocked down to fifth, about five goals behind Centrals on percentage. Sturt confirming themselves as a benchmark this year.

For what it's worth, not sure I agree with you re "hate" comparison - for reasons best left to another thread - but to each their own I guess.

Saw a bit of the live Youtube ("Sairnfull" - grrrh!) stream on a good size screen via X-Box and was pretty impressed with the video quality. I look forward to the League putting more promotion into this. That said, a bit of added exposure for more of the traditional sides, ie, those not necessarily already getting more than their fair share on C7, would be nice also.

I think they had the most afl players in this side to date. They looked bigger and faster early on but sturt grind em down.
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Postby JK » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:18 am

bomber14 wrote:

The competition is declining because of supporter attitudes, not the incompetence of the governing body? :shock:

Looked like a fair arm wrestle today, well down to Sturt for getting the choccies over a pretty decent looking Ravens lineup.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby bomber14 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:01 am

Just want to apologise to Jimmy for my dickhead comments before. Just frustrated about the competition in general and I took it out on you which was completely out of order. Just passionate about the competition.

If I knew how to personal message I would, but pretty clear I have no idea
bomber14
Mini-League

Postby bomber14 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:17 am

But back on the game... I think Sturt have the 22 to go the whole way if they cant have a great injury run
bomber14
Mini-League

Postby therisingblues » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:27 am

Jimmy wrote:
StrayDog wrote:

I think they had the most afl players in this side to date. They looked bigger and faster early on but sturt grind em down.

That's how I saw it too Jim.
Ravens got a two goal to nothing lead early, before we started getting it back. I actually missed the opening five minutes so not sure how it was early.
I thought Osborn was an obvious big presence on the field for us in ruck. Well coordinated for such a large framed tall fella, and his presence in many marking competitions was a huge bonus. I especially liked the way he attempted to be a link up man in handball chains where fast hands were of the essence; the thing here is that he is having a full on go at playing his part.
The next thing I noticed is how Sturt did so many of the little things well, players who had no chance of stopping a disposal, played the situation smart, and just made it difficult to dispose with ease. This gave the next player down the line more of a chance, and the percentage of turn overs through pressure were high. When we had the ball we fought bloody hard to keep it. I don't remember seeing a Sturt side using such intensity to hang on to the pill, and failing that, just being able to control where/how the opposition is able to use it.
A couple of stand out moments were provided by Riley, Kirkwood and I loved the way Hone showed a bit of toe to run around the Raven's defender midway through the last quarter. He could have held on to it and steadied with a couple more steps, he had the defender beaten. The best that raven could do was a desperate dive for little than just a momentary hand hold of the Guernsey, which as it turns out, might have been enough to rush the kick, but I really like the way Hone is coming along.
The way Sturt cleaned up that rushed kick, I thought epitomised the way we played. It went virtually straight to a raven, who was set upon immediately, then had his options shut down. What would have been an easy clearance against last year's Sturt side, was today quickly turned into a disputed ball, and returned to safe Blue hands. The team's belief and confidence was worth a couple of goals out there today, and as spectators we are beginning to have strong expectations of how particular situations play out on the field.
Anyway, it was a great win and I wanted to just mention a couple of those things that hadn't been commented on already.
Port at Alberton next week. Another practice squad, and who they put on the field against us is dependant on how another team of 21 players performs against Collingwood tomorrow, how their top echelon players recover and who gets injured. A bit of a roulette spin, but we need the two points and we have to keep winning to stay clear of the pack. In an 18 round season each win should be worth a little more than usual.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Jimmy » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:06 am

bomber14 wrote:Just want to apologise to Jimmy for my dickhead comments before. Just frustrated about the competition in general and I took it out on you which was completely out of order. Just passionate about the competition.

If I knew how to personal message I would, but pretty clear I have no idea

All good play on :)
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Postby Big Phil » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:18 am

Grahaml wrote:Rotten luck coming up against that Crows side. Wouldn't think with the reserves concept that you'd get so many AFL listed blokes on the park outside the early rounds of the year. We could well be singing the praises of sturt if they get within 10 goals.

Start singing, graham ;)
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL