Save the Tigers

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Save the Tigers

Postby Booney » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:55 pm

I'd say recruiters would spruik the SANFL as the best state league competition in the country, could they do that if the standard drops?

South Australian ex-pats would be likely to come back, but would players uproot families to come here if it isn't the best outside the AFL? Would the clubs have the resources ( money ) to make it irresistible?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby VALE PARK » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:58 pm

IMHO the 5 byes are reducing interest in the competition for sure.
As some say is there footy on this week or the week after!
I think it is the footy season.
Can't see why everyone including the clubs and the SANFL can't see it.

Also can't see how the Bay's can go broke given I thought they owned 1/8 of football park including the retired oval and all the land attached?
Can anyone explain please?
What is the SANFL Debt please?
Last edited by VALE PARK on Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Dutchy » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:00 pm

SANFL helped Sturt after refusing to help North, will they back Glenelg now?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby tipper » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:08 pm

Booney wrote:I'd say recruiters would spruik the SANFL as the best state league competition in the country, could they do that if the standard drops?

South Australian ex-pats would be likely to come back, but would players uproot families to come here if it isn't the best outside the AFL? Would the clubs have the resources ( money ) to make it irresistible?

you are making an assumption that the standard of on field performances drops if the reserves sides are removed. but its chicken and the egg. which comes first?

you were suggesting that "big names" wouldnt want to come here if the reserves sides are removed, which would drop the standard. but the way i see it, removing the reserves sides doesnt automatically weaken the traditional sides. they will still have the same players on their list, so it would still be the best state league competition wouldnt it? therefore, just removing the reserves sides, doesnt automatically change that selling point
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby tipper » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:10 pm

Dutchy wrote:SANFL helped Sturt after refusing to help North, will they back Glenelg now?

they should, just as they should have helped North (and how they did help the power....). time will which way they go on it this time
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby Aerie » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:20 pm

The standard doesn't matter so much imo, game style is more important.

If you want to watch the best, the AFL is the way to go and the gap in standard is ever increasing.

There are other reasons why the SANFL is appealing.

Number one is the link of clubs to South Australian families. This should always make the Grand Final an occasion well supported.

Number two is accessibility to the SANFL, taking children along, making it an affordable day out with a family or for a group of friends. A drop in ticket prices would help this further.

Make the SANFL matter again by differentiating it from the AFL, instead of making it a poor mans clone.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby Booney » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:22 pm

tipper wrote:
Booney wrote:I'd say recruiters would spruik the SANFL as the best state league competition in the country, could they do that if the standard drops?

you are making an assumption that the standard of on field performances drops if the reserves sides are removed. but its chicken and the egg. which comes first?

you were suggesting that "big names" wouldnt want to come here if the reserves sides are removed, which would drop the standard. but the way i see it, removing the reserves sides doesnt automatically weaken the traditional sides. they will still have the same players on their list, so it would still be the best state league competition wouldnt it? therefore, just removing the reserves sides, doesnt automatically change that selling point

It is an assumption, yes. I've nothing else to go on, but fair to say the competition standard must drop if the AFL listed talent is no longer playing. Be them rookies or old blokes.

However, would it be fair to say there are two types of recruits the SANFL chase?

1 - Those hopeful of being spotted by an AFL scout
2 - Those from amateur or country leagues looking to test themselves.

If the overall standard drops, would both types of recruit still see the SANFL as a viable proposition?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:23 pm

Aerie wrote:The standard doesn't matter so much imo, game style is more important.

If you want to watch the best, the AFL is the way to go and the gap in standard is ever increasing.

There are other reasons why the SANFL is appealing.

Number one is the link of clubs to South Australian families. This should always make the Grand Final an occasion well supported.

Number two is accessibility to the SANFL, taking children along, making it an affordable day out with a family or for a group of friends. A drop in ticket prices would help this further.

Make the SANFL matter again by differentiating it from the AFL, instead of making it a poor mans clone.

I think the current admission price is too high, but surely a drop wouldn't be of that much benefit?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby tipper » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:33 pm

Booney wrote:
tipper wrote:

It is an assumption, yes. I've nothing else to go on, but fair to say the competition standard must drop if the AFL listed talent is no longer playing. Be them rookies or old blokes.

However, would it be fair to say there are two types of recruits the SANFL chase?

If the overall standard drops, would both types of recruit still see the SANFL as a viable proposition?

why wouldnt they? the league would still be the pathway to the afl in south australia, i havent seen any suggestion that would change, so the hopefuls would still play (unless they went interstate??)

and those looking to test themselves, yet again, it would still be the best state based competition in the country. the remaining 8 clubs would stil lhave the same lists they do now, and the same resources.

i just dont understand this view that the standard automatically falls off a cliff, just because you remove the reserves sides. the reserves sides themselves havent been setting the world on fire. their form is pretty much directly tied to the afl sides injury list, so their performances have been variable at best.

however, if we were talking about the neafl, i could see the argument. the afl reserves sides are the best in the league (with the odd exception, brisbane im looking at you). here in sa, they are middle of the road clubs (generally) and recruits from interstate cant play for them anyway. it could actually lift the standards of the remaining clubs. if the top up players want to keep playing in the sanfl, they may be offered spots by the traditional clubs, strengthening their lists (obviously dependant on what the reserves sides do in my hypothetical removal)
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby UK Fan » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:36 pm

Booney wrote:
tipper wrote:

AFL listed players who are playing bruise free footy and playing for themselves(to quote their coach) leaving the comp will do nothing to the standard.

Please stop the "sky is falling" theories as to what would happen the sanfl without flogs reserves AFL flog.

All that will happen to the SANFL without AFL reserves is the SANFL will be confirmed as the undisputed 2nd best league in Australia.

We will be the envy of the WAFL and VFL and every other AFL alligned state league in Australia.

Recruits will be attracted to clubs that are purely interested in recruiting them to make them better footballers (so they can be re-drafted) and wont sacrifice their development due to an afl player that may have been dropped. And maybe even win a premiership for the club.

Also it wont be up to the SANFL if port magpies survive without an AFL reserves presence.

That will be KTs decision.

Whether the AFL reserves is the reason or not for GFC's financial predicament will and can be debated.

BUt what cant be denied now is their is a core bunch of Glenelg/SANFL fans who would of moved heaven and earth to keep glenelg alive pre AFL-reserves.

That right now couldnt give a shite if the bays die with chiggy in charge.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby stan » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:26 pm

Dutchy wrote:SANFL helped Sturt after refusing to help North, will they back Glenelg now?

Who knows really to be honest.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Panther Pack » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:31 pm

Did the SANFL clubs get any of the money from the AFL Licences or did the SANFL keep all that cash for themselves?

It was over 18 million for both licences.

It just feels that the SANFL don't really support the clubs within it's own league!
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 139 times

Postby JK » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:41 pm

Panther Pack wrote:Did the SANFL clubs get any of the money from the AFL Licences or did the SANFL keep all that cash for themselves?

It just feels that the SANFL don't really support the clubs within it's own league!

Would imagine some of that money would be arriving via instalments. What it's used for I don't know, I would guess to reduce SANFL debt but could be wrong.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Wedgie » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:38 pm

Panther Pack wrote:Did the SANFL clubs get any of the money from the AFL Licences or did the SANFL keep all that cash for themselves?

Yeah but paid over 15 years!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby RB » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:00 pm

Booney wrote:Hopefully all supporters and members who walked away so easily make their way back.

I doubt that it was 'easy', and at any rate I'm not sure what your point is.

If you mean that those Glenelg fans who haven't been to many games since the reserves came in are weak or disloyal, you are making an enormous generalisation. There are many different reasons that would make it a difficult decision for these people to stop going to games. Of course, many have also probably just lost interest.

Either way, it is ridiculous for you to suggest that fans of Glenelg (or any other club) are weak. I mean, at least it took a major bastardization of the competition to drive them away. Port fans only needed a couple of losing seasons and they were breaking out the tarps...
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 765 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby Booney » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:08 am

RB wrote:
Booney wrote:Hopefully all supporters and members who walked away so easily make their way back.

If you mean that those Glenelg fans who haven't been to many games since the reserves came in are weak or disloyal, you are making an enormous generalisation. There are many different reasons that would make it a difficult decision for these people to stop going to games. Of course, many have also probably just lost interest.

Either way, it is ridiculous for you to suggest that fans of Glenelg (or any other club) are weak. I mean, at least it took a major bastardization of the competition to drive them away. Port fans only needed a couple of losing seasons and they were breaking out the tarps...

I never mentioned "weak" yet it was me generalizing?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby stampy » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:26 pm

Booney wrote:
Zartan wrote:
tipper wrote:i think removing them will actually condense what is left of the league, not dilute it. its already been shown that the reserves sides supporters are staying away in droves, so by getting rid of them, it will bring together what is left of the league

The SANFL is dying a slow painful death.. Fact remains regardless of reserves sides or not, the interest in the comp from the next generation just isn't there period.

Kids/teenagers if they're interested in footy are either involved at club level or they're home watching the AFL if not at an AFL game.

Harsh reality, but grass roots footy (SFL, SAAFL, HFL) probably has a greater interest and following amongst the younger generation.

This is the biggest, IMHO, factor facing the SANFL. The "average" SANFL die hard would be 40 something or thereabouts. The number of 18-30 year olds who follow and support the competition would be far outnumbered by the 40'ers.

my two eldest sons are 24 and 21, they attended plenty of sanfl games from when they were a few weeks old, neither attend now, both barrack for the power which was my ex's influence, mr21 was a tiger and mr24 a magpie back when they were younger they both knew all their local teams players but now, neither could tell you the captain of their sanfl club, the interest just isnt there
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 333 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby therisingblues » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:33 pm

Booney wrote:
Zartan wrote:
tipper wrote:i think removing them will actually condense what is left of the league, not dilute it. its already been shown that the reserves sides supporters are staying away in droves, so by getting rid of them, it will bring together what is left of the league

The SANFL is dying a slow painful death.. Fact remains regardless of reserves sides or not, the interest in the comp from the next generation just isn't there period.

Kids/teenagers if they're interested in footy are either involved at club level or they're home watching the AFL if not at an AFL game.

Harsh reality, but grass roots footy (SFL, SAAFL, HFL) probably has a greater interest and following amongst the younger generation.

This is the biggest, IMHO, factor facing the SANFL. The "average" SANFL die hard would be 40 something or thereabouts. The number of 18-30 year olds who follow and support the competition would be far outnumbered by the 40'ers.

Yes it is true.
But you shouldn't be using that as justification for the reserves coming in.
SANFL has done very well to maintain interest compared to other state leagues. The reserves coming in is by far the biggest kick in the guts since the second AFL license was granted.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby RB » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:53 pm

Booney wrote:
RB wrote:

I never mentioned "weak" yet it was me generalizing?

I said 'if'.

At any rate, it's pretty clear that 'walked away so easily' wasn't intended as a compliment.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 765 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby therisingblues » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:17 pm

:lol:
Ol' Booney!?
Ridiculed and laughed at us all for protesting the reserves application to enter our league. Said it'll never happen!
Now his line is we should all just suck it up and accept it!
Now the comp lays bleeding as a result of this stupid acceptance of the practice squads, what do you suggest we do to fix it?
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL