Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Eagles2014 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:21 am

Tony Clifton wrote:Hopefully the Redbacks have another good season. Criticism of the grade competition will die down if they do alright.

I might have mentioned it before, but I wonder whether the biggest issue is the odd number of teams (bye) or that there are too many grade clubs for Adelaide's population?

If it's the former then what steps can be taken to add a 14th club to the competition? Where does it come from? Gawler, Mt Barker? Hard to squeeze another one in the metro area but the Ingle Farm/Pooraka area has always been a bit of a funny area in that it's a long way from any grade club.

Their biggest issue is the Bye. They want solutions to the problem. They seem quite receptive to going to 14 teams in 1st Grade. With the announcement of new turf oval at Mt.Barker that seems the logical answer.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 526 times

Postby bulldogproud2 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:29 am

Good to see that West Torrens and Port Adelaide will survive as single entities for at least another season. I just hope that not too much damage has been done through the 'vultures' having circled these two great clubs. I sure know that there will be added feeling when certain clubs play one another next season!

Cheers

P.S. Well done to everyone from Port and the Eags who placed enough pressure on SACA for this result to happen.
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby oyster » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:11 am

bulldogproud2 wrote:Good to see that West Torrens and Port Adelaide will survive as single entities for at least another season. I just hope that not too much damage has been done through the 'vultures' having circled these two great clubs. I sure know that there will be added feeling when certain clubs play one another next season!

Cheers

P.S. Well done to everyone from Port and the Eags who placed enough pressure on SACA for this result to happen.

Playing University..........and especially Adelaide and Glenelg will be entertaining days.
The beers are already on ice, and the deck chair ready in the upright position, for all 3 games. Let the games and sledging begin.
I notice the clown............er the Hound, is conspicuous by his absence.
I hope he and all the SACA board members are choking on the "still in date" popcorn
The SACA didn't know people from WT and PA had so many connections in parliamentary circles at both state and federal levels.
These politicians won't be forgotten at the upcoming elections with our votes, and neither will Adelaide and Glenelg be forgotten.
Two clubs who stuck their noses into something that had nothing to do with them. Those at the SACA won't be forgotten either.
oyster
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 20 times

Postby ferret » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:46 am

Unfortunately a lot will be forgotten because there are a lot of nobodies involved with SACA.
ferret
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby The Hound » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:34 am

oyster wrote:
bulldogproud2 wrote:Good to see that West Torrens and Port Adelaide will survive as single entities for at least another season. I just hope that not too much damage has been done through the 'vultures' having circled these two great clubs. I sure know that there will be added feeling when certain clubs play one another next season!

Cheers

Playing University..........and especially Adelaide and Glenelg will be entertaining days.
The beers are already on ice, and the deck chair ready in the upright position, for all 3 games. Let the games and sledging begin.
I hope he and all the SACA board members are choking on the "still in date" popcorn
The SACA didn't know people from WT and PA had so many connections in parliamentary circles at both state and federal levels.
These politicians won't be forgotten at the upcoming elections with our votes, and neither will Adelaide and Glenelg be forgotten.
Two clubs who stuck their noses into something that had nothing to do with them. Those at the SACA won't be forgotten either.

Sticks and stones Oyster!
All ACC and GDCC did was inform their members of there clubs position, a bit like what WT and Pt A have done over the last 24 hours with the SACA's decision so a bit hypocritical.
Look forward to Pt A supplying a FULL complement of teams from A grade to RSS this year, so their are no forfeits for any opposition players.
Happy to share my popcorn with you while watching the game together ;)
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby The Hound » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:34 am

oyster wrote:

Cheers

All ACC and GDCC did was inform their members of there clubs position, a bit like what WT and Pt A have done over the last 24 hours with the SACA's decision so a bit hypocritical.
Look forward to Pt A supplying a FULL complement of teams from A grade to RSS this year, so their are no forfeits for any opposition players.
The Hound
Reserves

Postby bulldogproud2 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:31 pm

The Hound wrote:
oyster wrote:

Cheers

Hound,
A big difference was that Adelaide and Glenelg did not need to have a vocal issue on the position. None of the other clubs (Sturt, Kensington, TTG etc.) decided to get involved with an issue that only personally involved two clubs: Port Adelaide and West Torrens. The fact that Adelaide and Glenelg took a position that they wanted to see two of their brethren clubs kicked out of the competition is a disgrace.
What will be hypocritical will be if the Glenelg's or Adelaide's boards were to squeal if their club's position was ever threatened by SACA policy, something that now may have become a possibility due to Glenelg's financial position, according to certain members of the SACA hierarchy unfortunately. If this was ever to happen, you would find that West Torrens and Port Adelaide would do everything they could to help Glenelg survive. This is what the actions of Glenelg and Adelaide should have been, not the opposite that actually happened.
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Postby The Hound » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:08 pm

Hound,
A big difference was that Adelaide and Glenelg did not need to have a vocal issue on the position. None of the other clubs (Sturt, Kensington, TTG etc.) decided to get involved with an issue that only personally involved two clubs: Port Adelaide and West Torrens. The fact that Adelaide and Glenelg took a position that they wanted to see two of their brethren clubs kicked out of the competition is a disgrace.
What will be hypocritical will be if the Glenelg's or Adelaide's boards were to squeal if their club's position was ever threatened by SACA policy, something that now may have become a possibility due to Glenelg's financial position, according to certain members of the SACA hierarchy unfortunately. If this was ever to happen, you would find that West Torrens and Port Adelaide would do everything they could to help Glenelg survive. This is what the actions of Glenelg and Adelaide should have been, not the opposite that actually happened.

BP2
Please read the GDCC, WTDCC, Pt ACC and ACC annual reports and then tell me who is struggling financially out of the 4 clubs :oops:, The GFC financial position has no bearing on the GDCC financial position. I didn't see ACC's email to members but GDCC's got plastered on this forum :roll: and all it said was that they felt they as a club could survive as a stand alone club and that a parliamentary inquiry was not beneficial and would have no impact on SACA's decision. Like I have said before I didn't envy the positions the WT and Pt A volunteers were put under, hopefully they had a celebratory drink :D

Anyway now that a decision has been made, I am hearing ET are splashing the $$ at recruits
The Hound
Reserves

Postby bulldogproud2 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:26 pm

The Hound wrote:Hound,

BP2
Please read the GDCC, WTDCC, Pt ACC and ACC annual reports and then tell me who is struggling financially out of the 4 clubs :oops:, The GFC financial position has no bearing on the GDCC financial position. I didn't see ACC's email to members but GDCC's got plastered on this forum :roll: and all it said was that they felt they as a club could survive as a stand alone club and that a parliamentary inquiry was not beneficial and would have no impact on SACA's decision. Like I have said before I didn't envy the positions the WT and Pt A volunteers were put under, hopefully they had a celebratory drink :D

Anyway now that a decision has been made, I am hearing ET are splashing the $$ at recruits

Hound, thanks for your comments re the celebratory drinks. I don't think we will be having them as there is nothing much to celebrate. Rather, we have lost players due to SACA's ill-conceived plans to cull these two mighty clubs. This idea of SACA's should never have even been aired.

As for the comments re the position of the Glenelg Cricket Club, they showed no support to Port Adelaide or West Torrens at all, no comradeship. By stating their opposition to the parliamentary inquiry, they were showing support for the culling of two mighty clubs. At least the other clubs did not try to twist the knife in by doing so. The issue would only be of concern to Glenelg if they felt that they themselves were under pressure from SACA. It is my understanding that the GFC position does have an impact on your club and this was a key reason for the Board taking their public position. The two clubs have a direct relationship with one another, and are impacted upon by the success or otherwise of the other. This is particularly so for the GDCC as they are the smaller of the two related entities. Without SACA propping up, the Glenelg Oval, the GDCC position would be quite precarious. This is something I am not happy about, as I used to be involved with the GDCC and was a part of their one-day premiership in the 1990's.
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Postby Aerie » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:20 pm

The Hound wrote:I didn't see ACC's email to members but GDCC's got plastered on this forum :roll: and all it said was that they felt they as a club could survive as a stand alone club and that a parliamentary inquiry was not beneficial and would have no impact on SACA's decision.

To all present and past players, managers, volunteers & supporters

As you all know SACA have nominated the Port Adelaide and West Torrens District Cricket Clubs as the two Club from which one will be eliminated from the 1st Grade (A Grade) competition in 2016/17, unless a meger of the two clubs is achieved.

The State Government is planning to establish a parliamentary committee to investigate the proposed merger in the Premier Cricket competition on May 18th.

We feel that this committee will unfairly target the Glenelg District Cricket Club and only cause more angst and pain in the local cricket community.

We are confident about Glenelg's position as a standalone club. Glenelg has elite players, a world-class ground and a strong community of people who love this club.

It is not the role of government to tell us to merge or close. No one spoke to us about the government's plans and our voice has deliberately been ignored up to this point.

How can you help us stop this?

Contact your state MP, the Government and Opposition and tell them that you oppose the committee.

Government Minister for Sport Leon Bignell: ministerleonbignell@sa.gov.au and 8226 1210

Opposition Shadow Minister for Sport Tim Whetstone: chaffey@parliament.sa.gov.au and 8582 4230

We appreciate your support in this matter and look forward to competing in the new season of the 12 team Premier league competition.

Regards,

Alan Scholz
GDCC Hon. Secretary

Are you on the SACA Board The Hound? Your statement above is full of twists of truth. It is very familiar with the garbage the SACA put out to the public.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:59 pm

Are West Torrens and/or Port Adelaide going to seek to have people apply to be on the SACA board at the next AGM? There are at least a couple of vacancies I assume. Would perhaps add another dimension to things.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Eagles2014 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:40 am

Tony Clifton wrote:Are West Torrens and/or Port Adelaide going to seek to have people apply to be on the SACA board at the next AGM? There are at least a couple of vacancies I assume. Would perhaps add another dimension to things.

This is all very interesting and disturbing at the same time, has definitely been discussed.

SACA have hand picked more "yes men" muppets to control. Adrian O'Dea been appointed, no cricket background, just a mate of President Andrew Sinclair and Nathan Adcock. What a joke!

Rumours also Andrew Hilditch is pushing for the 1st Grade to be reduced to 8 teams. Why don't they be open and upfront about this, then most teams would have to consider a merger as would have no other option.

Even though we are safe for this season, and confident this will continue, behind the scenes SACA cannot be trusted still!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby oyster » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:44 am

We feel that this committee will unfairly target the Glenelg District Cricket Club and only cause more angst and pain in the local cricket community.

We are confident about Glenelg's position as a standalone club. Glenelg has elite players, a world-class ground and a strong community of people who love this club.

It is not the role of government to tell us to merge or close. No one spoke to us about the government's plans and our voice has deliberately been ignored up to this point.

How can you help us stop this?

What really is dearest Alan telling us, with this document? It appears Alan has opened up a heap of unanswered questions.
Why would the committee unfairly target Glenelg, when Glenelg "prior to this document" were not once mentioned in despatches?
Why would the "government" tell Glenelg to merge or close, when Glenelg had never once been mentioned in merger discussions?
Why is dearest Alan confident of Glenelg being a stand alone club, when Glenelg were never once mentioned for a merger?
What is going on at Glenelg to come out with these comments?
Why was dearest Alan so keen on stopping the enquiry?
There seems to be far more questions from this email than answers, if you look into the wording of the document
oyster
Rookie

Postby Tony Clifton » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:54 am

Maybe if there were only two grade clubs then we'd always have the best 22 cricketers against each other. Would be a better standard than premier league.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Aerie » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:30 am

It shouldn't matter from which clubs or from what background people come from who are on the SACA Board.

It is big business, so someone who might be an expert in a field, but doesn't have a cricket background, could be a valuable member. Provided there are others with that cricket background and the right mix in all the various fields.

There should also not be an issue with what club board members come from. Though, this surely is an issue in this current environment.

The way this has been handled has been a disgrace and the current board members who are close to the Grade Cricket scene can't be trusted and shouldn't be re-elected.

What needs to happen is a clear and detailed plan. The SACA commissioned the Zadow Report. That was a good start. Then they gave no feedback on it back to clubs, with the exception of new balls and better turf wickets (University's square was the first re-done), until they decided to force a merger, or threaten expulsion, of West Torrens, Port Adelaide and Woodville a long time after the report was released. Taking a tiny bit of the report to justify that decision. Meanwhile they were protecting all the clubs that had links to those on the Board. Including those with a recent history of terrible performance including Prospect, Adelaide and University - who also don't have a junior program - probably because previous Board members wanted to protect their club instead of allowing Uni to have them!

If 8 clubs is the plan. Say it!

They could say the season 2017/18 there will be an 8 team Premier Grade competition. 14 rounds home and away. The bottom 5 teams from next season will start their 1st Grade in the second tier (playing for the Community Shield or something). The 8 Premier Grade teams will have their 2nd Grade in this competition.

Introduce a transfer system to compensate those clubs who lose players to the top grade, whilst encouraging the best to be playing in the top grade. This is crucial to get right.

Have promotion/relegation to give those clubs who win the "Community Shield" the opportunity to get back to the top grade.

Have equal funding to ensure every club is representing an area that provides a pathway through to the top level. Including allowing University to have juniors.

Scrap the Premier League and provide small incentive to players who play 1st Grade in the top division (say a payment of $100 per game to the 11 that take the field).

This provides opportunities to expand (Mt Barker or whoever could start in the second tier if the need arises) without effecting the top division. It also allows for future mergers without effecting the top division. It ensures all clubs can survive and continue to represent cricket in their community. It ensures clubs are actively trying to improve to either avoid relegation or gain promotion. It improves standard at the top without cutting opportunities at the bottom. It will not cost the SACA any more in finances than what they are already paying.

Instead of the junior one day tournament in January - the SACA could pick their own Metro West / Metro East / Metro North / Metro South / Country West / Country East sides to compete as they do in Premier League now and again in the 1st school holidays to have a look at the best juniors against each other and have some say in their development.

If it doesn't work it is easily reverted. Once a club is gone, it is gone forever.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby The Hound » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:14 pm

Hearing TTG losing a couple of top end players, surprise surprise 1 to a club with no juniors :roll: , ET may be known as East Torren$ this year :lol:
The Hound
Reserves

Postby The Angry Bull » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:31 pm

The Hound wrote:Hearing TTG losing a couple of top end players, surprise surprise 1 to a club with no juniors :roll: , ET may be known as East Torren$ this year :lol:

Names please
The Angry Bull
Under 16s

Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Central Augusta

Postby Eagles2014 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:41 pm

The Angry Bull wrote:
The Hound wrote:Hearing TTG losing a couple of top end players, surprise surprise 1 to a club with no juniors :roll: , ET may be known as East Torren$ this year :lol:

Names please

Think Hound might be on the money!

Heard Borgas was going to Melbourne with his job so won't be playing.

Other one I heard was Nick Winter to Uni, maybe with missing out on Redbacks contract this season he went where the money is?
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby The Angry Bull » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:14 am

Eagles2014 wrote:
The Angry Bull wrote:

Names please

Other one I heard was Nick Winter to Uni, maybe with missing out on Redbacks contract this season he went where the money is?

There is some truth to these rumors. Izzy definitely going, there's hope Wints might stay, however considering he is finishing his studies and there will no longer be a lucrative BBL deal in front of him, i would like to know what's being dangled in front of him
The Angry Bull
Under 16s

Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Central Augusta

Postby backoftheroom » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:14 pm

The Angry Bull wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:
The Angry Bull wrote:

Names please

There is some truth to these rumors. Izzy definitely going, there's hope Wints might stay, however considering he is finishing his studies and there will no longer be a lucrative BBL deal in front of him, i would like to know what's being dangled in front of him

Pretty sure he studies at Adelaide Uni as well, so as a 20 something you'd be pretty silly to know back $10k off of your course fees. Plus he is apparently unhappy with the role he has at TTG. Uni would have a pretty good bowling line up at full strength with Mennie, Winter, Agar and Logan being able to bowl all day between the four of them.
backoftheroom

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps