Thailand, Laos & Cambodia

Holidays, where, to go, how to get there, travel stories.

Re: Thailand, Laos & Cambodia

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:55 am

PatowalongaPirate wrote:
Jim05 wrote:I love Bali and still go regularly but Thailand is so much better. After being to Thailand and Malaysia aswell several times in the last few years we are heading to the Philippines later this year to see what it's like

I went to Boracay a couple of years ago and will definitely go back one day. Not a fan of Manila though.

Good to hear because we are looking at 1-2 nights in Manila and then 4-5 nights in Boracay or similar
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:04 am

Jim05 wrote:
PatowalongaPirate wrote:
Jim05 wrote:I love Bali and still go regularly but Thailand is so much better. After being to Thailand and Malaysia aswell several times in the last few years we are heading to the Philippines later this year to see what it's like

I went to Boracay a couple of years ago and will definitely go back one day. Not a fan of Manila though.

Good to hear because we are looking at 1-2 nights in Manila and then 4-5 nights in Boracay or similar

Maximise your time in Boracay, the ocean is awesome for swimming and chilling - it's actually refreshing. We only stayed in Manila because that's the way the flights worked out.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 446 times
Been liked: 1209 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:09 am

Pirate, Nusa Dua, tell me about it if you would be so kind.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:20 am

Booney wrote:Pirate, Nusa Dua, tell me about it if you would be so kind.

A nice place to stay. Good food and nice beaches. Not as much of the bogan element which is always a good thing. If you feel like loosening the belt a couple of notches then the dinner buffet at The Mulia Resort is awesome. It is near impossible to try everything they have on offer and their dessert room is huge.

You will also be close to Sanur which is worth a visit. When you are in South Kuta check out Waterbom Park for a bit of fun.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 446 times
Been liked: 1209 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:34 am

PatowalongaPirate wrote:
Booney wrote:Pirate, Nusa Dua, tell me about it if you would be so kind.

A nice place to stay. Good food and nice beaches. Not as much of the bogan element which is always a good thing. If you feel like loosening the belt a couple of notches then the dinner buffet at The Mulia Resort is awesome. It is near impossible to try everything they have on offer and their dessert room is huge.

You will also be close to Sanur which is worth a visit. When you are in South Kuta check out Waterbom Park for a bit of fun.

Fully agree.
I recommend the Westin at Nusa Dua but you can't go wrong with most places there, Novotel is also pretty good value.
Sanur is great for water activities such as snorkelling or parasailing.
Much better than Kuta, I personally won't stay in Kuta anymore and rather stay 10 minutes away in Seminyak which is much further laid back and has a far better beach which has some awesome restaurants and bars. Nothing better than having dinner at a beachfront restaurant then pulling up a beanbag on the sand and drinking until the early hours.
Jim05
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:36 am

Thanks mate.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby mighty hounds » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:50 pm

Booney wrote:Whilst very happy with Thailand I've gone against my initial thoughts on Bali, I said i'd never go. However, at 40 and having been to Thailand with Mrs Boon last year we thought we'd take Miss, 16 soon, on our next trip. Friends who came with us to Thailand are bringing their Miss, soon 14.

Out eldest, 20, their next two 20 and 18 are on their own for overseas travel. All of us, our 4 and their 5 go to Port Vincent every year around October and we hope the "kids" continue to join us, they like the place as much as we do so we hope "family" holidays ( if 4 days is a holiday ) continue for a while yet.

Just felt before we do another one just us that Miss was worthy of a guernsey and the cost of the special in Bali was too good to refuse. Junior can come if he wants, but he can fund it himself. At 20 he likes the idea of the house to himself for a week!

We're in South Kuta / Nusa Dua, experience in and around there Jim, Corona?

Im off to Bali on Wednesday for the first time and will be splitting time between Nusa Dua and Seminyak. I let you know how it goes
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:27 am

Excellent mate, look forward to hearing about it.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby mighty hounds » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:32 am

Booney wrote:Excellent mate, look forward to hearing about it.

Yesterday we done a 3 island boat tour. about 117 AUD. Run by Bali Hui Crusies. You go out in a high speed ocean raft. Starts at 10.30 and you get back in at dock about 5.30. Included is a free hotel shuttle. Basically over the time you get 2 snorkel spots. We only got to do one because it was too choppy. Lunch is provided. After the second snorkel you spend about an hour and a half on their beach island we they have an amazing pool set-up and ge the option to do an village tour, i didn't go on that because i thought Bintang was a better option. The girls didn't think it was much chop though. After that you had back. highly recommend it. Hope that make sense, I've had a few Bintangs :lol:
mighty hounds
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:51 am

mighty hounds wrote:
Booney wrote:Excellent mate, look forward to hearing about it.

Yesterday we done a 3 island boat tour. about 117 AUD. Run by Bali Hui Crusies. You go out in a high speed ocean raft. Starts at 10.30 and you get back in at dock about 5.30. Included is a free hotel shuttle. Basically over the time you get 2 snorkel spots. We only got to do one because it was too choppy. Lunch is provided. After the second snorkel you spend about an hour and a half on their beach island we they have an amazing pool set-up and ge the option to do an village tour, i didn't go on that because i thought Bintang was a better option. The girls didn't think it was much chop though. After that you had back. highly recommend it. Hope that make sense, I've had a few Bintangs :lol:

Yep, recommend Bali Hui.
Did some real good snorkelling and then relaxed in the pool with Bintangs. Did a pretty good lunch too. The Mrs gets pretty bad seasickness and the the ride out on the morning was good but the weather came on half way through the return journey and she spent most of the way a bit green around the gills
Jim05
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:07 pm

We're starting to prepare for Hanoi again. This time we'll spend less time in Hanoi and head to Hoi An and Ha Long Bay for a longer stretch, anyone been to either of those places?
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby mighty hounds » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:08 am

@booney I highly recommend you look into staying at the Grand Bali Nusa Dua. Spacious rooms. Spacious bathroom/shower. Ripping AC. Left the AC on all day and walking back into the room felt amazing after sweeting it up all day. Top notch pool as well but drinks were a little pricey so we went across the road and bought Bintang cans for 28,000 and just went back and forth to the room. Outside of the island cruise we only had one free day before the wedding which I spent in a German beer garden drinking $2.70 Bintangs and $3.90 jaeger shots.
mighty hounds
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:12 am

mighty hounds wrote:@booney I highly recommend you look into staying at the Grand Bali Nusa Dua. Spacious rooms. Spacious bathroom/shower. Ripping AC. Left the AC on all day and walking back into the room felt amazing after sweeting it up all day. Top notch pool as well but drinks were a little pricey so we went across the road and bought Bintang cans for 28,000 and just went back and forth to the room. Outside of the island cruise we only had one free day before the wedding which I spent in a German beer garden drinking $2.70 Bintangs and $3.90 jaeger shots.

Thanks mate. How far from Kuta madness is Nusa Dua and is the area more family friendly than not?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:41 pm

Booney wrote:
mighty hounds wrote:@booney I highly recommend you look into staying at the Grand Bali Nusa Dua. Spacious rooms. Spacious bathroom/shower. Ripping AC. Left the AC on all day and walking back into the room felt amazing after sweeting it up all day. Top notch pool as well but drinks were a little pricey so we went across the road and bought Bintang cans for 28,000 and just went back and forth to the room. Outside of the island cruise we only had one free day before the wedding which I spent in a German beer garden drinking $2.70 Bintangs and $3.90 jaeger shots.

Thanks mate. How far from Kuta madness is Nusa Dua and is the area more family friendly than not?

The new tollway has shortened the journey a fair bit but like everything in Bali it depends on traffic. Can do Nusa Dua to Kuta in anywhere from 25 minutes to a hour. Nusa Dua is a million miles away from the hustle and bustle of Kuta and if you want to relax that's definately the place. Find the hotels/resorts in Nusa Dua are more family friendly and have better pools.
Personally I prefer a private villa in Seminyak. Close to everything and still relatively peaceful
Jim05
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 pm

I hear the golf courses are good over there
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11834 times
Been liked: 3593 times

Postby mighty hounds » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:29 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:

The new tollway has shortened the journey a fair bit but like everything in Bali it depends on traffic. Can do Nusa Dua to Kuta in anywhere from 25 minutes to a hour. Nusa Dua is a million miles away from the hustle and bustle of Kuta and if you want to relax that's definately the place. Find the hotels/resorts in Nusa Dua are more family friendly and have better pools.
Personally I prefer a private villa in Seminyak. Close to everything and still relatively peaceful

Yeh basically what Jim said.

The Bali National Golf course is about 200m walk from the grand Bali hotel as well
mighty hounds
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:15 pm

2017 Thailand trip... Outbound flights booked today on QFF points.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1277 times
Been liked: 3476 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:21 am

Looking at booking Koh Samui, Bangkok and Pattaya in coming days for the best part of 2 weeks. Never been to Thailand but been to Bali 3 times.

Looking at flights pretty good prices considering when flying mostly with Qantas. How have you blokes found Bangkok Airways when flying domestically? I get a bit edgy when flying on anything based out of SE Asia.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 740 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Booney » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:23 am

My experience on Silk Air ( Singapore regional ) was less than pleasant. The storm we took off from Phuket in was like I'd not seen before and the forst 40 minutes was hair raising, nerve racking, stomach churning and I can still smell the fear now. :shock:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:30 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Looking at booking Koh Samui, Bangkok and Pattaya in coming days for the best part of 2 weeks. Never been to Thailand but been to Bali 3 times.

Looking at flights pretty good prices considering when flying mostly with Qantas. How have you blokes found Bangkok Airways when flying domestically? I get a bit edgy when flying on anything based out of SE Asia.

Have flown Bangkok Air from Bangkok to Koh Samui... Not a worry in the world. They remind me of Virgin in some ways. Newish planes, clean and comfortable. The pre flight instructions come in both Thai & English.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1277 times
Been liked: 3476 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Travel