R10 - Sturt v Adelaide @ Unley Oval Sat

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: R10 - Sturt v Adelaide @ Unley Oval Sat

Postby Magellan » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:54 am

therisingblues wrote:Never seen so many ravens fans before. There were so many that you could hear people cheering when they got a goal. I reckon they had between 300 to 500 of them there.
Then there were about 3,000 Sturt fans. Great atmosphere put on by the bluebaggers.

Well done Sturt, really glad they knocked them off, and will push deep into September if they can stay settled. Not wanting to rain on their parade, but I only hope the PoSAs genuinely played to the line yesterday - I haven't seen any footage so I'll leave that judgment up to those who were there.

Disappointed with the crowd, though. 3,500 endorsements for the reserves concept. ;)
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Jimmy » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:36 pm

Magellan wrote:
therisingblues wrote:Never seen so many ravens fans before. There were so many that you could hear people cheering when they got a goal. I reckon they had between 300 to 500 of them there.
Then there were about 3,000 Sturt fans. Great atmosphere put on by the bluebaggers.

Well done Sturt, really glad they knocked them off, and will push deep into September if they can stay settled. Not wanting to rain on their parade, but I only hope the PoSAs genuinely played to the line yesterday - I haven't seen any footage so I'll leave that judgment up to those who were there.

Disappointed with the crowd, though. 3,500 endorsements for the reserves concept. ;)

I watched the live stream. It looked like they did however only the coaches would know for sure. They seemed upset at the loss but overall I really don't think they care, unless they are a chance for promotion to the 1's. I mean, I think they want to play well but I doubt they are tearing themselves up during the week if they lose like a pure club would,
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Magellan » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:16 pm

Jimmy wrote:I watched the live stream. It looked like they did however only the coaches would know for sure. They seemed upset at the loss but overall I really don't think they care, unless they are a chance for promotion to the 1's. I mean, I think they want to play well but I doubt they are tearing themselves up during the week if they lose like a pure club would,

And that's the issue with the whole set-up.

The best thing for Sturt is to know they can take it up to the bigger bodies and better skilled professionals, and they take away the all-important two points. And get back to playing a proper footy team next week.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Gozu » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:49 pm

Crowd 3,379
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby johntheclaret » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:46 pm

Magellan wrote:
Jimmy wrote:I watched the live stream. It looked like they did however only the coaches would know for sure. They seemed upset at the loss but overall I really don't think they care, unless they are a chance for promotion to the 1's. I mean, I think they want to play well but I doubt they are tearing themselves up during the week if they lose like a pure club would,

The best thing for Sturt is to know they can take it up to the bigger bodies and better skilled professionals, and they take away the all-important two points. And get back to playing a proper footy team next week.

Surely every reserve player wants to play for the 1st team in the AFL, and therefore will try their best hoping for to get selected. I don't think the Reserves not trying is ever going to be the issue.
I issue will always be that coaches are not interested in whether they win or not as that isn't the purpose of the game for them, and the players desire to put in a good performance is equally not for the team to win but for themselves to get promoted to the A List.
And that's why the comp is fu...... Buggered.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Grahaml » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:01 pm

It's pretty short sighted and really rather insulting to suggest the guys who played for Adelaide weren't trying. Guarantee every one of them gave what they could. Sturt have had a fantastic and perhaps vital win, so let's not cheapen it with some more of the paranoia regarding AFL reserves. We have a whole thread for that nonsense.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby therisingblues » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:11 pm

Magellan wrote:

Fair comment.
I do believe that we were hungrier when it counted. I haven't seen the replay yet, but after Evans kicked that incredible goal, it almost seemed that winning the ruck tap and getting the next center break was pre-meditated. What I mean by that is the Sturt lads just had this massive, quite palpable appetite for winning, and the only thing that would stop them from that point on would be an even greater will, backed up with ability. Adelaide definitely had the ability if the will existed. I think it simply did not have that will.

Could it have been the noise pouring out of the stands and terraces?
Maybe the momentum of having got that incredible goal?
Maybe the belief that we have managed to run over opponents after trailing at crucial stages a few times this year?

All of the above could have contributed to the control I reckon we exerted over the game for the following five minutes, where we got point after point, and then finally another goal and another point, which put us 13 points and at least three kicks in front. Then our hunger was satiated, and Adelaide found breath to hit back with a couple of forward forays.

Then on the other hand it could have been like the hunter who will kill the boar because he is motivated by hunger, as opposed to the fat baron who fails time and again, because he simply doesn't need it.
I am honestly not sure. But there was a bit of back and forth, and the lead exchanged hands about three or four times before the Evans goal.
After that goal, there did seem to be an inevitable feel to the match, that there was no way we were going to lose, even though we were only three points up. I think I am leaning to the explanation that they played to the line. But we will most likely never know for sure.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby therisingblues » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:17 pm

Grahaml wrote:It's pretty short sighted and really rather insulting to suggest the guys who played for Adelaide weren't trying. Guarantee every one of them gave what they could. Sturt have had a fantastic and perhaps vital win, so let's not cheapen it with some more of the paranoia regarding AFL reserves. We have a whole thread for that nonsense.

Definitely relevant discussion IMO.
I would rather not have a discussion about our right to have such a discussion. I would rather just have the discussion itself.
We could discuss my opinion that the discussion about the discussion should not be even entertained, and then this thread will turn into the other thread for sure.
But after such an important win against a side famous for resting players at the wrong time, the discussion is inevitable.
So let's discuss it.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Grahaml » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:40 am

I bet that sounded pretty witty in the seconds before you hit enter. Lol.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby therisingblues » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:12 am

Yeah, I guess. :lol:
It is sort of true though.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:32 am

Grahaml wrote:I bet that sounded pretty witty in the seconds before you hit enter. Lol.

Seconds....... You're kidding. It would have been minutes at least :lol: ;)
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Jimmy » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:59 am

johntheclaret wrote:
Magellan wrote:

Surely every reserve player wants to play for the 1st team in the AFL, and therefore will try their best hoping for to get selected. I don't think the Reserves not trying is ever going to be the issue.
I issue will always be that coaches are not interested in whether they win or not as that isn't the purpose of the game for them, and the players desire to put in a good performance is equally not for the team to win but for themselves to get promoted to the A List.
And that's why the comp is fu...... Buggered.

Yep that's what I'm getting at. Coaches thinking of things other than winning. That can certainly creep into the players no doubt. The van berlos etc thinking about getting through unscathed towards the end of the game so they can be ready for AFL duty next week. Versus the SANFL pure who will come back on bandaged up knowing his presence could get the 2 points.
Last edited by Jimmy on Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:06 am

Gozu wrote:Crowd 3,379

Good crowd that had a live stream against the gate....yet we have been told that it affect the gate, hence no promotion in the past?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3506 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:08 am

Dutchy wrote:
Gozu wrote:Crowd 3,379

Good crowd that had a live stream against the gate....yet we have been told that it affect the gate, hence no promotion in the past?

Or the current level of promotion / education ( I am sure people still would be avoiding this in respect to download limits and what a game would be ) is inadequate?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby Rough » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:30 am

Hey you Sturt Blokes,

How's Chris Hall going with his coaching there?
I have put the rise of Sturt this year down to the incredibly intelligent move to poach Hally from the Mannum Roos. (and possibly a couple other coaching appointments)

It is fantastic to see you guys up and about after being given zero chance at the start of the year.
Rough
Rookie

Been liked: 5 times

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:31 pm

Want to ask again, are there any rules in the SANFL re the amount of time runners spend on the field?
Crows runner was on the field the entire first half other than the odd five second stint where he placed 2 feet on the other side of the boundary line and then went straight back out there. Started paying extra attention when Osborn ran into him and even the resultant free actually disadvantaged the Double Blues because Osborn was already in the clear. Attitude at SANFL is apparently that 'oh well, thats part of the AFL and we have to just put up with it".
Was a fantastic game of football and a special mention to Guy Page who is still an underated player IMHO
R.I.P. Patrice Lumumba 1925 - 1961
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Macclesfield

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL