State Team

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: State Team

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon May 30, 2016 9:39 pm

Agreed.
I have suggested double headers previously like we used to have the argument was which clubs get the gate money etc...
Split all revenue evenly across all clubs on the day
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11838 times
Been liked: 3597 times

Postby johntheclaret » Tue May 31, 2016 7:00 am

I watched the live stream from the SANFL App on the web without any trouble at all.
A few observations. I thought the callers were okay and knew most of the players names most of the time, although Clint did look to be a bit outside his comfort zone but to be fair to him he was only there for special comments. Just a note though Big Phil, is it necessary to announce yourself and the team every time you get your hands on the mic. It got a bit monotonous after about the 30th time.
I thought the comment by one of the callers when the attendance figure of around 4,300 was announced, that it was a good effort and demonstrated the level of support there is for state league games, was bit off the mark but was probably more than expected. At least the upper tiers were closed which prevented the crowd looking even more sparse than it already did.

The game was a lot closer than most people thought it would be which was surprising given the player pool SA has to choose from compared to the Vic's. Alarmingly it might be an indication of how far the SANFL has actually fallen. The inclusion of more plastic AFL clubs and the rise of easier $$$'s in the Amatuer leagues has certainly affected the sanfl , but I think there are are other factors such as the inclusion of the AFL Reserves into the league and the Salary Cap, not to mention poor promotion of its own league by SANFL and generally bad management by the clubs themselves which has contributed to the drain of quality players or the possible reluctance of quality players to play in the SANFL.

Anyway back to the game. I thought there were a lot more basic errors given they were the best 21 in the state league and both teams seem to tire in the last qtr, SA more than Victoria, which enabled them to get back to within 3 goals having trailed by 43 points at one stage. I thought Rioli was excellent in the 1st half but was one of those players who tired and didn't offer as much in the 2nd. Kirkwood and Summerton were terrific and showed they are quality footballers with experienced heads on their shoulders. I also though McGregor was very good, making a lot of space for himself and damaging as a small forward. From a Roosters perspective I thought both Clisby and McKenzie did ok. Didn't really see any other standouts for SA though.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby therisingblues » Tue May 31, 2016 11:37 am

State side should be coached by the premiership coach or someone a bit more current IMO.
Who coached the Vics?
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby saintal » Tue May 31, 2016 12:15 pm

therisingblues wrote:State side should be coached by the premiership coach or someone a bit more current IMO.
Who coached the Vics?

Andy Collins.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby heater31 » Tue May 31, 2016 2:07 pm

saintal wrote:
therisingblues wrote:State side should be coached by the premiership coach or someone a bit more current IMO.
Who coached the Vics?

Andy Collins.

Who is coaching Williamstown a stand alone VFL club.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby RB » Tue May 31, 2016 5:02 pm

johntheclaret wrote:I watched the live stream from the SANFL App on the web without any trouble at all.
A few observations. I thought the callers were okay and knew most of the players names most of the time, although Clint did look to be a bit outside his comfort zone but to be fair to him he was only there for special comments. Just a note though Big Phil, is it necessary to announce yourself and the team every time you get your hands on the mic. It got a bit monotonous after about the 30th time.
I thought the comment by one of the callers when the attendance figure of around 4,300 was announced, that it was a good effort and demonstrated the level of support there is for state league games, was bit off the mark but was probably more than expected. At least the upper tiers were closed which prevented the crowd looking even more sparse than it already did.

The game was a lot closer than most people thought it would be which was surprising given the player pool SA has to choose from compared to the Vic's. Alarmingly it might be an indication of how far the SANFL has actually fallen. The inclusion of more plastic AFL clubs and the rise of easier $$$'s in the Amatuer leagues has certainly affected the sanfl , but I think there are are other factors such as the inclusion of the AFL Reserves into the league and the Salary Cap, not to mention poor promotion of its own league by SANFL and generally bad management by the clubs themselves which has contributed to the drain of quality players or the possible reluctance of quality players to play in the SANFL.

Anyway back to the game. I thought there were a lot more basic errors given they were the best 21 in the state league and both teams seem to tire in the last qtr, SA more than Victoria, which enabled them to get back to within 3 goals having trailed by 43 points at one stage. I thought Rioli was excellent in the 1st half but was one of those players who tired and didn't offer as much in the 2nd. Kirkwood and Summerton were terrific and showed they are quality footballers with experienced heads on their shoulders. I also though McGregor was very good, making a lot of space for himself and damaging as a small forward. From a Roosters perspective I thought both Clisby and McKenzie did ok. Didn't really see any other standouts for SA though.

Agree with your analysis although I must point out that for some reason Victorian rules were used so each side had 22 players.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 764 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby vics01 » Tue May 31, 2016 7:52 pm

VICTORIAN RULES..

Thankfully no stupid last touch out of bounds rule
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby heater31 » Tue May 31, 2016 7:59 pm

vics01 wrote:
VICTORIAN RULES..

Thankfully no stupid last touch out of bounds rule

Start getting used to it. The AFL are very interested in the statistics of the effects of the rule and will look to implement if it all looks positive.
heater31

Postby therisingblues » Tue May 31, 2016 8:28 pm

heater31 wrote:
saintal wrote:
Who coached the Vics?

Andy Collins.

Who is coaching Williamstown a stand alone VFL club.

Thanks guys.
A. Collins knows his shit pretty well. I just asked the question as JTC and others have mentioned the unexpected closeness of the result. I guessed that the Vics weren't coached by a 70y/o.
Maybe if Mark Mickan had coached SA we would've seen the belting many predicted? We might also have prevented the token naming of a Raven in the training squad.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby heater31 » Tue May 31, 2016 8:35 pm

therisingblues wrote:I guessed that the Vics weren't coached by a 70y/o.
Maybe if Mark Mickan had coached SA we would've seen the belting many predicted? We might also have prevented the token naming of a Raven in the training squad.

The only way to prevent the tokenism is to get rid of the pelican as the chairman of selectors....
heater31

Postby PhilH » Tue May 31, 2016 11:36 pm

For the record VFL plays with 23, 22 & 1 development player who cant play more than 3 senior games in a season.
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby PhilH » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:39 pm

WAFL has smashed Tassie today ... WA have last start wins over SA (2015), Vic (2013), Tas (2016) & Qld (2014).

WAFL v Tas.jpg
WAFL v Tas.jpg (52.42 KiB) Viewed 651 times
PhilH
League - Top 5

Postby PhilH » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:35 pm

Record winning margin v Tas

Game was FREE ENTRY for everyone ... 2575 turned up at Swan Districts suburban home ... similar crowd to last years WA v SA game at Lathlain,

Ian Callinan and Mitch Thorp played for Tassie.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/afl/a/31817905/black-swans-uphold-state-football-pride/
PhilH
League - Top 5

Postby westozfalcon » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:38 pm

PhilH wrote:Record winning margin v Tas

Game was FREE ENTRY for everyone ... 2575 turned up at Swan Districts suburban home ... similar crowd to last years WA v SA game at Lathlain,

Ian Callinan and Mitch Thorp played for Tassie.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/afl/a/31817905/black-swans-uphold-state-football-pride/

I went to the match.

Tasmania were quite OK on the inside and contested duels but were short of legs and couldn't create enough run and spread. Had the game been played in Tassie WA probably would've still won but by a much smaller margin.

Ian Callinan played very well. Mitch Thorp was disappointing.

Teams that come to WA have to have running ability to create space on bigger grounds.

In my view the Black Swans still need to beat SA or Victoria away to lay claim to the WAFL being the premier state league.
westozfalcon
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 28 times

Postby PhilH » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:30 pm

Yep ...I call it a tie between WA & SA and will be so until one can win whilst away interestate. WA should get first crack at Vics in Melbourne next year then SA In Adelaide in 2018.....this is at a guess with nothing confirmed.
PhilH
League - Top 5

Re: State

Postby VALE PARK » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:52 pm

Who really gives a toss which is the premier state league!
It means nothing,only a matter of opinion anyway,who cares what the AFL observers/spotters think.
It is more important that our league teams in SA have a vibrant viable competition and survive.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby RB » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:22 pm

PhilH wrote:Yep ...I call it a tie between WA & SA and will be so until one can win whilst away interestate. WA should get first crack at Vics in Melbourne next year then SA In Adelaide in 2018.....this is at a guess with nothing confirmed.

Any idea who we'll be playing next year, Phil?
RB
Coach

Postby Big Phil » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:53 pm

RB wrote:
PhilH wrote:Yep ...I call it a tie between WA & SA and will be so until one can win whilst away interestate. WA should get first crack at Vics in Melbourne next year then SA In Adelaide in 2018.....this is at a guess with nothing confirmed.

Any idea who we'll be playing next year, Phil?

PhilH will know for sure, but I suspect we are due for a year off, on rotation?
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby RB » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:09 pm

I don't see how we should have a year off, I mean there were six states last time I checked. We played QLD/NT three years ago. We could play them or NSW/ACT or Tassie (who own a 1-0 record against us since 1991)...
RB
Coach

Postby PhilH » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:35 pm

I suspect it will be a year off for WA to play Victoria... that said this year was supposed to be our year off so who knows.

No rep game for NEAFL this year ... not sure they do them anymore .... really leaves Tassie and unfinished business from 1995.
PhilH
League - Top 5

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL