R11 - Sturt V Port Reserves @ Alberton

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: R11 - Sturt V Port Reserves @ Alberton

by The Dark Knight » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:24 pm

2nd quarter was more even but Sturt were inaccurate kicking 3.6.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10328 times
Been liked: 1519 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

by The Dark Knight » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:44 pm

That big first quarter by Sturt proved to be the difference. They win by 22 points.
The Dark Knight
Coach

by therisingblues » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:39 pm

Pre-game talk had it that this was the worst side Port has fielded this year.
After that big first quarter it looked as though it would be a massacre.
So what happened next? Did Sturt take the foot off the pedal or did Port lift? Couldn't attend the game myself.
How big was the crowd?
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

by PhilH » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:10 pm

Crowd 2510
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

by The Dark Knight » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:00 pm

therisingblues wrote:Pre-game talk had it that this was the worst side Port has fielded this year.
So what happened next? Did Sturt take the foot off the pedal or did Port lift? Couldn't attend the game myself.
How big was the crowd?

Bit of both TRB, Port did lift a bit yet struggled to find an avenue to goal and Sturt sorta took their foot off the pedal but still held Port at arms length all game.

There were plenty of Sturt supporters there, especially infront of the Fos Williams stand and I would say they would of outnumbered the Port supporters.
The Dark Knight
Coach

by therisingblues » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:52 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:
therisingblues wrote:Pre-game talk had it that this was the worst side Port has fielded this year.
How big was the crowd?

Bit of both TRB, Port did lift a bit yet struggled to find an avenue to goal and Sturt sorta took their foot off the pedal but still held Port at arms length all game.

There were plenty of Sturt supporters there, especially infront of the Fos Williams stand and I would say they would of outnumbered the Port supporters.

Thanks for that summary TDK.
I suspected before the match the crowd division would be like that. Given the teams' form this year, you would've expected the same amount of Port as Sturt supporters at Alberton, pre reserves.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

by CUTTERMAN » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:02 am

Would have to be the most quiet Port game I've been to especially since they've been hocked off as the Power reserves. While I'm happy Sturt kept our unbeaten streak going it was pretty tame and confirms why both these reserves teams either shouldn't be in this comp or at the very least shouldn't be playing finals ever. No one gives a shit about it, most of all the Power supporters. Blow ins.
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

by CUTTERMAN » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:02 am

Would have to be the most quiet Port game I've been to especially since they've been hocked off as the Power reserves. While I'm happy Sturt kept our unbeaten streak going it was pretty tame and confirms why both these reserves teams either shouldn't be in this comp or at the very least shouldn't be playing finals ever. No one gives a shit about it, most of all the Power supporters. Blow ins.
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

by stan » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:55 am

therisingblues wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:
How big was the crowd?

Thanks for that summary TDK.
I suspected before the match the crowd division would be like that. Given the teams' form this year, you would've expected the same amount of Port as Sturt supporters at Alberton, pre reserves.

Im not sure why we are surprised at all in regards to Ports supporter numbers. The majority of Magpie fans walked away when they were turned into the Port Reserves. There supporter numbers will be crap going forward.

There are no Magpies and the history died with it. And hence the supporters left as well.

Out of the 2500 fans were 2000 sturt and the rest support staff with a few power fans?
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

by therisingblues » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:18 am

Based on experience, a 2,000 - 500 split might exist at ravens' games. Although that would be erring on the side of being generous to the ravens.
Alberton is still their strongest base, and playing the top team would produce about a thousand Port fans, at a guess. I think TDK's account supports this.
V South people said there were actually more Port than South fans at Alberton. Obviously the long journey North counts for something. North and Central get good support at Alberton. I'm led to believe.
therisingblues
Coach

by The Dark Knight » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:39 pm

Like always there was still some of the Magpies faithful there and the people who have always supported the Power and Magpies equally but now most are just Power nuffies.

Just something from yesterday that will entertain a few on here- My sister (genuine Power nuffie) and a girl we know (brother's ex) who's boyfriend, Ciaran Hollingworth-Hughes played his first league game for this Season. He is from Whyalla and they were talking about how Port has no zone anymore and how much that sucks that guys from there can't come to play for Port anymore. They also talked how Ciaran can't get a regular league game and how frustrating that is for him because the Power players get preference. My sister asked me about it and I said you don't even want to get me started on the reserves debate, all I said was well these are the sorts of things that happen when Port Adelaide decided the Magpies will be the Power reserves.

We had Ben Sawford sitting with us, he's a good mate of my brother and mum absolutely loves him, as we know he's now at Glenelg. My sister said to him it sucks that he had to leave Port and wishes he was still playing for them, I butted in and said well Sawf had to leave here if he was get anywhere with his football. He'll be wasting his time playing in an Academy team, we all know he's too good for that. The move to Glenelg is paying off for him.
The Dark Knight
Coach

by Rising Power » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:37 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:Like always there was still some of the Magpies faithful there and the people who have always supported the Power and Magpies equally but now most are just Power nuffies.

Just something from yesterday that will entertain a few on here- My sister (genuine Power nuffie) and a girl we know (brother's ex) who's boyfriend, Ciaran Hollingworth-Hughes played his first league game for this Season. He is from Whyalla and they were talking about how Port has no zone anymore and how much that sucks that guys from there can't come to play for Port anymore. They also talked how Ciaran can't get a regular league game and how frustrating that is for him because the Power players get preference. My sister asked me about it and I said you don't even want to get me started on the reserves debate, all I said was well these are the sorts of things that happen when Port Adelaide decided the Magpies will be the Power reserves.

We had Ben Sawford sitting with us, he's a good mate of my brother and mum absolutely loves him, as we know he's now at Glenelg. My sister said to him it sucks that he had to leave Port and wishes he was still playing for them, I butted in and said well Sawf had to leave here if he was get anywhere with his football. He'll be wasting his time playing in an Academy team, we all know he's too good for that. The move to Glenelg is paying off for him.

To be fair:
1. Port wanted to keep the development zones or at least a portion of them, but cake and eating doesn't go together apparently. Norwood and the Eagles are enjoying the result of that, although the fans don't like the shift from their own 'traditional' zones. The club was prepared to give up the lot to follow the Crows into the reserves set up and that's what happened, but at least it had a crack at eating that cake.
2. Anyone who signed up as one of the top ups surely could not reasonably have expected to have significant league time if the Power had few injuries and suspensions; if they did expect to regularly get games when say 18 Power players are in the 21 week in week out, they'd have to be a bit dim. They had the opportunity to try out for other clubs (perhaps most of them did and didn't make it) and for whatever reason decided to take the top up offer. I'm sure the likes of Sawford, Haren, Johansesn, Bruggerman etc don't regret their time there, as it looks like it helped them get to other clubs and regularly play at league level. A character building experience perhaps.

Edit: And plenty of top ups playing lately. Maybe clubs would be circling for their services and good luck to them if they want to leave and earn a few more pesos in the process.
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

by RB » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:20 pm

Rising Power wrote:I'm sure the likes of Sawford, Haren, Johansesn, Bruggerman etc don't regret their time there, as it looks like it helped them get to other clubs and regularly play at league level. A character building experience perhaps.

In the case of Bruggerman, character building would be one way of putting it, that's for sure.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 764 times
Been liked: 1074 times

by The Dark Knight » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:58 pm

RB wrote:
Rising Power wrote:I'm sure the likes of Sawford, Haren, Johansesn, Bruggerman etc don't regret their time there, as it looks like it helped them get to other clubs and regularly play at league level. A character building experience perhaps.

In the case of Bruggerman, character building would be one way of putting it, that's for sure.

Budda loved getting stuck into him!
The Dark Knight
Coach

by therisingblues » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:35 pm

Rising Power wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:Like always there was still some of the Magpies faithful there and the people who have always supported the Power and Magpies equally but now most are just Power nuffies.

To be fair:
1. Port wanted to keep the development zones or at least a portion of them, but cake and eating doesn't go together apparently. Norwood and the Eagles are enjoying the result of that, although the fans don't like the shift from their own 'traditional' zones. The club was prepared to give up the lot to follow the Crows into the reserves set up and that's what happened, but at least it had a crack at eating that cake.
2. Anyone who signed up as one of the top ups surely could not reasonably have expected to have significant league time if the Power had few injuries and suspensions; if they did expect to regularly get games when say 18 Power players are in the 21 week in week out, they'd have to be a bit dim. They had the opportunity to try out for other clubs (perhaps most of them did and didn't make it) and for whatever reason decided to take the top up offer. I'm sure the likes of Sawford, Haren, Johansesn, Bruggerman etc don't regret their time there, as it looks like it helped them get to other clubs and regularly play at league level. A character building experience perhaps.

Edit: And plenty of top ups playing lately. Maybe clubs would be circling for their services and good luck to them if they want to leave and earn a few more pesos in the process.

Or you could have not become a reserves side and kept your zones, your players, character, supporter base, soul, etc...
therisingblues
Coach

by CUTTERMAN » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:06 pm

Strangest mindset I've ever come across. Blame the SANFL for all their woes. Call it a shit comp and deride the other 8 clubs. Yet flood tears and teenage angst when they have to abandon their juniors to turn their proud club into a reserves team. Either you rate the comp or not, if not what's the grief with the juniors.
Schizophrenic at best.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

by Booney » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:54 am

stan wrote:Im not sure why we are surprised at all in regards to Ports supporter numbers. The majority of Magpie fans walked away when they were turned into the Port Reserves. There supporter numbers will be crap going forward.

There are no Magpies and the history died with it.
And hence the supporters left as well.

Out of the 2500 fans were 2000 sturt and the rest support staff with a few power fans?

That's where many make the mistake, history does no die, history does not change. History is and always remains as it happened and nothing can or will change that. If you do not recognize this, especially in this instance IMHO you're plain wrong.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

by Rising Power » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:36 am

woosh

I was specifically referring to the "it sucks you can't play for Port" and the "it sucks you can't get a game for Port" portions of TDK's post, but sure let's keep it simple.... 'No AFL in the SANFL', 'kick them out', and all that :roll:
Rising Power
Under 16s

by therisingblues » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:04 pm

Rising Power wrote:woosh

I was specifically referring to the "it sucks you can't play for Port" and the "it sucks you can't get a game for Port" portions of TDK's post, but sure let's keep it simple.... 'No AFL in the SANFL', 'kick them out', and all that :roll:

Yes. Spot on.
The inconveniences suffered by young players unable to play in the black and white prison bars is directly a result of the Power's and Crows' hubris. No doubt Port wanted to keep their old system open, meanwhile stacking the Magpies with professionals. Could you imagine the Magpies with Kirkwood, Beard, and co, topping them up? Just award them the premiership now.
I don't quite get what sort of discussion you'll allow us to have along the lines of "isn't it a shame so and so can't play for Port anymore". There is but one answer, and the rest of the competition is suffering because of it, not just Port.
Write a letter to your club would be my advice.
therisingblues
Coach

by Rising Power » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:40 pm

therisingblues wrote:
Rising Power wrote:woosh

Yes. Spot on.
The inconveniences suffered by young players unable to play in the black and white prison bars is directly a result of the Power's and Crows' hubris. No doubt Port wanted to keep their old system open, meanwhile stacking the Magpies with professionals. Could you imagine the Magpies with Kirkwood, Beard, and co, topping them up? Just award them the premiership now.
I don't quite get what sort of discussion you'll allow us to have along the lines of "isn't it a shame so and so can't play for Port anymore". There is but one answer, and the rest of the competition is suffering because of it, not just Port.
Write a letter to your club would be my advice.

You think I don't know that? I was responding to a post. Just putting my 2 cents in on the issues raised. I wasn't justifying the system we're in, wasn't asking a question, wasn't answering one. But if it makes you feel better, tell me what the problem is again and how to solve it.
Rising Power
Under 16s

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL