Port Adelaide 2016

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2016

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:44 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
Booney wrote:Nope, I said in my comments earlier in the thread Hartlett needs to go back. I've also been pretty keen on some others going back and while I'm not happy to meander through the rest of the year I see no point in playing Butcher or Mitchell who'll be gone at the end of the year.

We simply can't drop Westhoff, we have no height as it is, bar Butcher and Frampton. He has to stay in.

Riley Bonner, Jesse Palmer and Billy Frampton are the only three I see worth trying right now. Bonner, half back, Palmer, third tall forward/back and Frampton might just get a run as he's our only ruck left on the list.

Johnson, Houston, Hewitt, all first year draftees. Let them be. Toumpas and Polec can stay there and earn a recall ( unless more go down injured ) and Clurey isn't playing well at all, if he was he'd be in ahead of O'Shea and Stewart.

What about Colqhuon, wheres he at? Surely he comes in, at least he works both ways and is probably fittest on your list, disposal might not be 100% be has a crack

He could take Brad Ebert's spot as he works both ways, has a crack but has sh*thouse disposal :lol:
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2516 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:01 am

Brodlach wrote:
Booney wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Someone just said Port have made finals only twice in 10 years, is that right?

Well, no....07, 13 and 14. 3 of the last 9.

Didnt make it in 2006 so three of ten, that really surprises me.

Doesn't really surprise me - this is a club that spiralled downhill at a rapid rate after 07, was in massive trouble and debt and had a snot playing list
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3996 times

Postby valleys07 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:52 am

Another interesting stat from the Hinkley era.

we are 1-3 heading into the bye. Not that big a deal on the surface, but have a look who we have lost to, and more importantly, where they were sitting:

2013- Western Bulldogs in Darwin. The Dogs were 2-7 at the time and sitting 16th
2014- Fremantle at home. Win.
2015- Carlton at the G, who were 1-9 at the time and stone cold motherless last.
2016- Fremantle at Subi, who were 2-10 and 16th.

Since the league implemented a mid season bye into the fixture, we are something like 1-6.

Not only are we complacent against bottom sides, we like the idea of 2 weeks off it seems.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby UK Fan » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:29 am

Why port have underachieved and who's at fault is an interesting debate. Usually there isn't a single Bullet theory as to why these things have occurred but usually a combination of differing factors.

The major problem for port is moving forward.

Playing list - widely reported port are up to full capacity re: salary cap with majority of players worth any currency at trade time signed on long term contracts. So little room to move. I expect the likes of Schultz S.Gray Mitchell butcher the most likely to be moved on at years end. Due to they could be replaced by younger cheaper options.

Coaching - same as above Hinkley & Voss on long term contracts and port financially won't be able to even entertain paying them out.

Only solution is to stick fat and roll out the rhetoric "port Adelaide footy" and cross fingers for a better preseason campaign in 2017 IMHO!!!!

Which the loyal port fans will see as the club accepting mediocrity.

Fun times
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby Psyber » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:23 pm

valleys07 wrote:Another interesting stat from the Hinkley era.

we are 1-3 heading into the bye. Not that big a deal on the surface, but have a look who we have lost to, and more importantly, where they were sitting:

2013- Western Bulldogs in Darwin. The Dogs were 2-7 at the time and sitting 16th
2014- Fremantle at home. Win.
2015- Carlton at the G, who were 1-9 at the time and stone cold motherless last.
2016- Fremantle at Subi, who were 2-10 and 16th.

Since the league implemented a mid season bye into the fixture, we are something like 1-6.

Not only are we complacent against bottom sides, we like the idea of 2 weeks off it seems.

It's the influence of unions and the ALP I'd say, introducing the "go slow" to force higher penalty rates... ;)
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Brodlach » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:35 pm

Could have told us that before the game Valleys, could have made a few $$$$&
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby hawks21 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:41 pm

Tredrea was on the money I reckon on channel 9 last night. Port have to go to the draft, trade table and free agency to rejuvenate their list over the next couple of years as what they have currently isn’t working or isn’t good enough. Big 2nd half of the year for some of these players.

Keep – Dixon, Boak, Wingard, Ryder, Wines, Homsch, Pittard, Trengrove, Grey, Impey, Byrne-Jones, Bonner

Blokes who will just be their – Polec, Westoff, Young, Ebert, Neade, White, Schultz, Howard, Austin, Lobbe

Big calls needed on – Hartlett, Broadbent, Ah Chee, S Gray, Colquhoun, Amon, Clurey, Stewart, O’Shea, Monfries

Delist – Butcher, Carlile,
hawks21
Reserves

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby valleys07 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:56 pm

Brodlach wrote:Could have told us that before the game Valleys, could have made a few $$$$&

:lol:

I hear these stats after the event for a reason, mate!
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:56 pm

hawks21 wrote:Tredrea was on the money I reckon on channel 9 last night. Port have to go to the draft, trade table and free agency to rejuvenate their list over the next couple of years as what they have currently isn’t working or isn’t good enough. Big 2nd half of the year for some of these players.

Keep – Dixon, Boak, Wingard, Ryder, Wines, Homsch, Pittard, Trengrove, Grey, Impey, Byrne-Jones, Bonner

Blokes who will just be their – Polec, Westoff, Young, Ebert, Neade, White, Schultz, Howard, Austin, Lobbe

Big calls needed on – Hartlett, Broadbent, Ah Chee, S Gray, Colquhoun, Amon, Clurey, Stewart, O’Shea, Monfries

Good luck with that from the middle of the ladder. The only way they do it is if they delist some of the Keepers.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby JK » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:03 pm

hawks21 wrote:Tredrea was on the money I reckon on channel 9 last night. Port have to go to the draft, trade table and free agency to rejuvenate their list over the next couple of years as what they have currently isn’t working or isn’t good enough. Big 2nd half of the year for some of these players.

Amazing how quickly it all changes .. Less than two years ago they looked as well placed as anyone for premierships in the coming years, and possibly multiples given the age of their top end talent. Suddenly now they don't look to bat deep, the defence is lacking in star power, and the age of some players is a concern (Schultz, Carlisle, Westoff starting to get up there, as is Ryder I guess).

Surely Mitchell get's the chop at the end of the season, and which categories do Toumpas and Jonas fall into?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:04 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:

Good luck with that from the middle of the ladder. The only way they do it is if they delist some of the Keepers.

regards,

REB

You can only trade players who others would want.
The players with calls needed on above......only Hartlett and Broadbent would have currency.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby JK » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:06 pm

Haven't seen much of him for a while, but I'd always been impressed enough with what I'd seen from Clurey .. Is it just injury that has stifled his progression to AFL level, or form/ability?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:08 pm

JK wrote:Haven't seen much of him for a while, but I'd always been impressed enough with what I'd seen from Clurey .. Is it just injury that has stifled his progression to AFL level, or form/ability?

He has a red hot go but is too slow IMO.
Kicking lets him down as well.
DBJ surely has taken his spot now.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:22 pm

UK Fan wrote:Why port have underachieved and who's at fault is an interesting debate. Usually there isn't a single Bullet theory as to why these things have occurred but usually a combination of differing factors.

The major problem for port is moving forward.

Playing list - widely reported port are up to full capacity re: salary cap with majority of players worth any currency at trade time signed on long term contracts. So little room to move. I expect the likes of Schultz S.Gray Mitchell butcher the most likely to be moved on at years end. Due to they could be replaced by younger cheaper options.

Coaching - same as above Hinkley & Voss on long term contracts and port financially won't be able to even entertain paying them out.

Only solution is to stick fat and roll out the rhetoric "port Adelaide footy" and cross fingers for a better preseason campaign in 2017 IMHO!!!!

Which the loyal port fans will see as the club accepting mediocrity.

Fun times

You're a strange one. You are an anti-barracker. Don't barrack for anyone but loves sledging Port LOL. I can understand the latter, but not the former.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby GWW » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:00 pm

Young just be there??....he will be in initial All-Australian calculations. Won't make the AA team, but has been outstanding this year.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby hawks21 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:23 pm

GWW wrote:

Young just be there??....he will be in initial All-Australian calculations. Won't make the AA team, but has been outstanding this year.

Agreed he has been outstanding, he just signed a one year deal on the back of a very good half a season. Not quite in the Wines/Dixon bracket just yet IMO.
hawks21
Reserves

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:23 pm

Butcher, Carlile, Mitchell and Colquhoun will all be delisted at years end I think and I doubt Schulz will play on again.

Colquhoun has been over taken by Byrne-Jones. Broadbent, Pittard there now and Bonner to come in time.

Amon and Ah Chee might be offered up for a third round pick, Clurey will be kept if Carlile goes.

Not a huge amount of coin saved, but 5 spots on the list. We won't be trading, unless someone comes to us with an exceptional offer. We still owe Gold Coast a second round pick for Dixon. So, the only thing we might do is one of those trades where you swap 37 and 54 for 33,62 and 76 or the like.

We won't be in the free agent market, we need to get some youth in at the bottom end of the list and get our best 22-25 fit and on the park.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7488 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:25 pm

hawks21 wrote:
GWW wrote:

Agreed he has been outstanding, he just signed a one year deal on the back of a very good half a season. Not quite in the Wines/Dixon bracket just yet IMO.

Nope, that one year deal was signed back in February before he hit the form he's in, otherwise I'd imagine it would have been longer. Most would have expected him to be SANFL bound this year, not second on our goal kicking list.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:28 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
JK wrote:Haven't seen much of him for a while, but I'd always been impressed enough with what I'd seen from Clurey .. Is it just injury that has stifled his progression to AFL level, or form/ability?

He has a red hot go but is too slow IMO.
Kicking lets him down as well.
DBJ surely has taken his spot now.

DBJ is 181cm Clurey is 193, they don't play the same role. Hombsch went ahead of Clurey and the so too did Jonas when Carlile got hurt late in '14 and then again in '15. Clurey regularly finishes top 5 in our 3km time trials. He had a limited preseason and hasn't got going since.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:33 pm

Wasn't it announced only a couple of weeks ago that Young signed a new 1 year deal?
Is he Victorian........ I assumed he only wanted one at this stage as the lure of going home might be there?
amber_fluid
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL