Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:39 am

Tony Clifton wrote:Do the clubs who recruit heavily spend as much time and resources making sure they 'recruit' the best junior players in their zone initially? Do they know who the best 11, 12, 13 year olds are that are playing cricket in their metro or country zone? Do they provide quality coaching sources for their juniors or just dads of junior players?

The problem with recruiting senior players is that it doesn't actually make grade cricket any stronger as a whole. It just redistributes the existing assets.

Port target the 11, 12 & 13 year old kids to give them chances in the 14's to develop younger, their training's are very well constructed by coaches that aren't just parents.

They have junior co-ordinators and specialized training in the other set of nets that face the oval. We only got to see the last few trainings for the season just gone and I was quite impressed, I'll be taking my son out there again this season and a couple of other kids from his Woody Rech side.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby The Hound » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:44 pm

#NORESPECT for the competition is how PT A propose to have 16 Whites voluntary / optional rather than compulsory, what a disaster that would be if it ever gets through from a programing perspective, however it is good to hear the positive comments from LM about turning the junior program around and that some lads from a local community club are heading that way. Lets hope they get 2 x 16's teams formed this season so 22 kids don't miss out on a game on sat arvo's each week. Pt A metropolitan/country zones does have an impact on numbers.
SD has had over 50 A grade chances at ACC, change of scenery may improve his average!
Don't think ACC have been very lucky in enticing GDCC emerging players away:), one ended up at Pt A last year.
Pirates / Uni active in the off season, maybe they can merge:)
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby heater31 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:37 pm

The Hound wrote:SD has had over 50 A grade chances at ACC, change of scenery may improve his average!
Don't think ACC have been very lucky in enticing GDCC emerging players away:), one ended up at Pt A last year.

We did get one of ours back after the Seahorses announced it at their AGM before the clearance was submitted ;)

Unfortunately Darling has sort of backed himself into a corner playing injured for a season and a half. Despite this injury thing forcing him to lose the gloves he somehow still scored votes in the Keeping trophy in the first few rounds this year :shock: . In the end it also caused performances to drop. Reckon it was the West End Draught cans we gave Cam Borgas and Andy Delmont at the 3's Semi Final got the deal over the line ;)

Correct, however at the time the player was waiting for his opportunity in the 2's not currently playing first grade or under played. There was also some confusion with the rules regarding approaches to players from the coach that was quickly cleared up when some noises were made. Probably cost us any chance of getting him.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:09 pm

The Hound wrote:#NORESPECT for the competition is how PT A propose to have 16 Whites voluntary / optional rather than compulsory, what a disaster that would be if it ever gets through from a programing perspective, however it is good to hear the positive comments from LM about turning the junior program around and that some lads from a local community club are heading that way. Lets hope they get 2 x 16's teams formed this season so 22 kids don't miss out on a game on sat arvo's each week. Pt A metropolitan/country zones does have an impact on numbers.
SD has had over 50 A grade chances at ACC, change of scenery may improve his average!

I personally think that Under 16 whites is a waste of exercise but that's a different story, yes, I would like to think that Port would be aiming to fill all junior comps and I'm not sold that pushing their 14's into the 16's and the younger ones into the 14's is ideal, I understand their reasoning but I'm a believer of kids playing in their rightful age groups as they have the rest of their lives to play seniors.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Tony Clifton » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:22 pm

I don't mind kids playing up a level if they've dominated their age group and need to be challenged. If it's just because they need numbers or for "experience" then that's poor reasoning IMO.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Tony Clifton » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:24 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Port target the 11, 12 & 13 year old kids to give them chances in the 14's to develop younger, their training's are very well constructed by coaches that aren't just parents.

They have junior co-ordinators and specialized training in the other set of nets that face the oval. We only got to see the last few trainings for the season just gone and I was quite impressed, I'll be taking my son out there again this season and a couple of other kids from his Woody Rech side.

Brilliant to hear =D>
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:44 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:I don't mind kids playing up a level if they've dominated their age group and need to be challenged. If it's just because they need numbers or for "experience" then that's poor reasoning IMO.

It's to try and develop them sooner for senior cricket, well that's what I've been led to believe, I'm with you though, only put them up to challenge them because they're dominating their own age group.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Hound » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:49 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:I don't mind kids playing up a level if they've dominated their age group and need to be challenged. If it's just because they need numbers or for "experience" then that's poor reasoning IMO.

It's to try and develop them sooner for senior cricket, well that's what I've been led to believe, I'm with you though, only put them up to challenge them because they're dominating their own age group.

Yes some clubs do this who have the development of the kid and club in mind and some clubs chase junior premierships :oops:, because junior premierships is what gets senior players to change clubs :roll:
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:53 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:It's to try and develop them sooner for senior cricket, well that's what I've been led to believe.

Surely putting them up before their ready though is more likely to hinder their development? That's when poor habits/techniques begin to creep in
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3996 times

Postby backoftheroom » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:24 am

Zartan wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:It's to try and develop them sooner for senior cricket, well that's what I've been led to believe.

Surely putting them up before their ready though is more likely to hinder their development? That's when poor habits/techniques begin to creep in

People aren't dumb enough to put a kid up if they don't have the technical attributes; it's why someone like Kartas has done well for himself so far in the 1's despite his size. It's more about the mental side, especially when moving from juniors to seniors a year early. Same goes for the 14's to 16's jump, the more of it that happens the better IMO, especially when most grade club kids already get to dominate school cricket.
backoftheroom

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 20 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:48 pm

backoftheroom wrote:
Zartan wrote:

People aren't dumb enough to put a kid up if they don't have the technical attributes; it's why someone like Kartas has done well for himself so far in the 1's despite his size. It's more about the mental side, especially when moving from juniors to seniors a year early. Same goes for the 14's to 16's jump, the more of it that happens the better IMO, especially when most grade club kids already get to dominate school cricket.

I think sometimes what happens though is that if a team/club is faring poorly there is a push to get some kids up the grades early, ready or not. So that the club can say "look how bright the future is" and generate some positives from a poor season.

Sometimes it's a player numbers issue.

If a kid is performing well and gets moved up into a well-performing team then that is a great sign - good for the club and a good environment for the individual.

PS this isn't targeted at Port by the way. Issue affects all clubs at times.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby heater31 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:26 pm

Usually it affects the top end talent of kids. Its an unwritten rule from SACA that they want players from Under 15's and up playing as high a possible.

If they are around the Sate Squads its most likely to help their development but if they are not involved with a high performance environment you are taking a huge risk.

It staggers me of some of the beliefs that people have of the SACA club Junior Set up. Ideally the Whites grade should be used for the bottom agers of the age group for a year of training and developing in a Premier Cricket environment. If clubs are using just for revenue raising then they are not doing their role of a SACA Premier Cricket Club properly.

When the Junior Cricket Review finally gets to the top of the agenda then yes I can see a case for getting rid of the 16 Whites. Saturday afternoon School Cricket (a complete waste of time IMO) rapes most clubs and then in turn having to fill their sides with players clearly not anywhere near a standard required. 14's is a must as it should mostly contain players from the Ray Sutton competition playing a full season together.
heater31

Postby bulldogproud2 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:04 pm

heater31 wrote:Usually it affects the top end talent of kids. Its an unwritten rule from SACA that they want players from Under 15's and up playing as high a possible.

If they are around the Sate Squads its most likely to help their development but if they are not involved with a high performance environment you are taking a huge risk.

It staggers me of some of the beliefs that people have of the SACA club Junior Set up. Ideally the Whites grade should be used for the bottom agers of the age group for a year of training and developing in a Premier Cricket environment. If clubs are using just for revenue raising then they are not doing their role of a SACA Premier Cricket Club properly.

When the Junior Cricket Review finally gets to the top of the agenda then yes I can see a case for getting rid of the 16 Whites. Saturday afternoon School Cricket (a complete waste of time IMO) rapes most clubs and then in turn having to fill their sides with players clearly not anywhere near a standard required. 14's is a must as it should mostly contain players from the Ray Sutton competition playing a full season together.

Just wanting to put a slightly different slant on school cricket. It is understandable that most, if not nearly all, members of Grade cricket clubs would want these boys playing for their club rather than their school. However, if you were to ask the boys themselves, you would find that many prefer playing College cricket. Here they are given an opportunity to play with their mates, something that will not happen again after they complete their Year 12 studies. They will have long enough in the Grade system after Year 12 if this is the route they wish to follow. Surprisingly, a number of the most talented cricketers that I have come across in school cricket decide against the Grade route, mainly due to the pressure applied to them by the clubs whilst they are still at school. Rather, they end up choosing to play Turf Cricket, quite often for an Old Scholars' team.
Cheers
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby heater31 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:45 pm

It depends on the school. We now have schools who are not known for their sports program wanting to force kids to play school stuff. These teams usually have about 4 kids of decent talent then the rest are kids that struggle at community clubs. Kids are not stupid they know when they are wasting their time and would rather play with their club mates
heater31

Postby helicopterking » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:53 pm

I'll think you will find, it matters a lot what School you go to when it come to under age selection in State Squads
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 667 times

Postby Stumps » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:38 am

helicopterking wrote:I'll think you will find, it matters a lot what School you go to when it come to under age selection in State Squads

can not possibly imagine that to be true. obviously got history with a kid who wasn't quite good enough I dare say
Stumps....
Stumps
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 45 times

Postby helicopterking » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:28 am

Stumps wrote:
helicopterking wrote:I'll think you will find, it matters a lot what School you go to when it come to under age selection in State Squads

can not possibly imagine that to be true. obviously got history with a kid who wasn't quite good enough I dare say

Performances over the last 20 years would be proof something hasn't been right.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 667 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:09 pm

1st XI cricket is really only a hindrance to the most talented kids and only in their final year of it. Whether a kid is playing 1st XI, C's, D's, 16 Reds... who cares. It's the ones who would be playing A's or B's who stagnate at school level.

These players sometimes start 1st XI cricket in Year 9.... Year10.... Year 11.... Year 12.... that's a long time at the same level, with the players around you getting progressively younger (comparatively). The opposite of development.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby wedgetail » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:01 pm

I may be wrong but believe that all other states play their private school stuff on a Wednesday afternoon leaving those players free to play with grade clubs on Saturday. Private schools not willing to do this in SA.
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation
wedgetail
Under 18s

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby bulldogproud2 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:31 pm

wedgetail wrote:I may be wrong but believe that all other states play their private school stuff on a Wednesday afternoon leaving those players free to play with grade clubs on Saturday. Private schools not willing to do this in SA.

Not sure about all states but I know that Victoria, New South Wales, WA and Queensland all play on Saturdays. You may find that their Intercol may be played during the week, but the main competition is on Saturdays.

Cheers
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps