Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby bulldogproud2 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:38 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:1st XI cricket is really only a hindrance to the most talented kids and only in their final year of it. Whether a kid is playing 1st XI, C's, D's, 16 Reds... who cares. It's the ones who would be playing A's or B's who stagnate at school level.

These players sometimes start 1st XI cricket in Year 9.... Year10.... Year 11.... Year 12.... that's a long time at the same level, with the players around you getting progressively younger (comparatively). The opposite of development.

Year 12 is the key year for students, not just academically but also socially and in relation to co-curricular. As stated earlier, you will find that many will want to play with their peers. Even if there are students from younger levels, you will find the bulk of the team of each college being Year 12's.
Also, the college cricket program is over by mid-November. As such, with SACA now not starting until mid-October, clubs would only miss their Year 12's for up to 3 matches. With heat and rain, this is quite often reduced to 1 or 2. I don't think any schools have covers, and sport is cancelled if the forecast is 35 degrees or more on Friday evening's forecast.

Cheers
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby heater31 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:41 pm

Not a good advertisement for the standard of school cricket' round 1 a big college well known for their sports programs didn't select a kid in their side so released him to play club cricket. Wasn't good enough for the club's under 16 first team but made a score of 150 + in the seconds. Didn't play for his club outside of school holidays for the rest of the season!
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:20 pm

bulldogproud2 wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:1st XI cricket is really only a hindrance to the most talented kids and only in their final year of it. Whether a kid is playing 1st XI, C's, D's, 16 Reds... who cares. It's the ones who would be playing A's or B's who stagnate at school level.

These players sometimes start 1st XI cricket in Year 9.... Year10.... Year 11.... Year 12.... that's a long time at the same level, with the players around you getting progressively younger (comparatively). The opposite of development.

Year 12 is the key year for students, not just academically but also socially and in relation to co-curricular. As stated earlier, you will find that many will want to play with their peers. Even if there are students from younger levels, you will find the bulk of the team of each college being Year 12's.
Also, the college cricket program is over by mid-November. As such, with SACA now not starting until mid-October, clubs would only miss their Year 12's for up to 3 matches. With heat and rain, this is quite often reduced to 1 or 2. I don't think any schools have covers, and sport is cancelled if the forecast is 35 degrees or more on Friday evening's forecast.

Cheers

Year 12's in Term 4 don't play school cricket at most colleges. It's a year 11/12 season, a year 10/11 season and in some cases a year 9/10 season.

Players who are in state U/17 and U/19 squads who are in line to play A/B Grade cricket don't want to play school cricket from my experience.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Tony Clifton » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:29 pm

heater31 wrote:Not a good advertisement for the standard of school cricket' round 1 a big college well known for their sports programs didn't select a kid in their side so released him to play club cricket. Wasn't good enough for the club's under 16 first team but made a score of 150 + in the seconds. Didn't play for his club outside of school holidays for the rest of the season!

One college pulled a kid out of C Grade to play 1st XI one weekend. It got to the Saturday... game forfeited because the other team had a 1st XVIII football training camp that weekend which involved several cricketers.

Another school (and this is common) had up to 8 club players in their 1st XI first week of term one. Bit of rain late in the week - no game because the groundstaff knock off at 2pm Fridays and hadn't finished the pitch by then.

If schools are going to pull rank that's fine. They have that right. However there needs to be some semblance of professionalism about the competition.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Aerie » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:57 pm

Could they just program junior grade cricket on Sunday's? Could then use the senior ovals not being used. Those keen junior cricketers can play school on Saturday and club on Sunday.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby heater31 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:40 am

Aerie wrote:Could they just program junior grade cricket on Sunday's? Could then use the senior ovals not being used. Those keen junior cricketers can play school on Saturday and club on Sunday.

That upsets community clubs as they would have no players for under 17 and under 15.
heater31

Postby Aerie » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:58 am

heater31 wrote:
Aerie wrote:Could they just program junior grade cricket on Sunday's? Could then use the senior ovals not being used. Those keen junior cricketers can play school on Saturday and club on Sunday.

That upsets community clubs as they would have no players for under 17 and under 15.

This sounds like SACA logic.

Let's not have a competition for the best kids to play against each other.

If the numbers are so dire and it is so important to have community clubs filled with juniors playing on a Sunday, then only have the Reds teams and make sure there is always a game for those who don't make Reds.

First priority though, should be a stronger SACA underage competition - then you consider how other competitions can work around that. This is given that Private Schools think their sport is so important and won't budge their important schedules.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby The Hound » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:36 am

heater31 wrote:

What community clubs need to understand is the cricket pathway and their role in it.

If SACA junior cricket was played on Sundays and the college kids played for their clubs this would actually force kids back to community clubs, its just they won't have their "star" grade players.
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby The Hound » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:12 pm

Seeing as though the AFL has special rounds, I believe Round 4 of the Premier Cricket competition will be known as the "Treachery Round" at Brighton Road ;)
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby Power From Port » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:28 pm

The Hound wrote:Seeing as though the AFL has special rounds, I believe Round 4 of the Premier Cricket competition will be known as the "Treachery Round" at Brighton Road ;)

Is there a draft fixture out?
Power From Port

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Lofty

Postby heater31 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:38 pm

Power From Port wrote:
The Hound wrote:Seeing as though the AFL has special rounds, I believe Round 4 of the Premier Cricket competition will be known as the "Treachery Round" at Brighton Road ;)

its not hard to work out.......chop off rounds 12 and 13 from the previous season and put them as Round 1 and 2 for the following season ;)

Limited overs fixture the week before the Test Match and the last round before the Christmas Break and its almost done.
heater31

Postby Eagles2014 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:56 pm

heater31 wrote:
Power From Port wrote:

its not hard to work out.......chop off rounds 12 and 13 from the previous season and put them as Round 1 and 2 for the following season ;)

Limited overs fixture the week before the Test Match and the last round before the Christmas Break and its almost done.

Round 1 also part of the One Day comp this year, WT have a Bye this round so must play SACA Under 19's at some stage on a Sunday.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby wedgetail » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:25 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:
heater31 wrote:
Power From Port wrote:

Round 1 also part of the One Day comp this year, WT have a Bye this round so must play SACA Under 19's at some stage on a Sunday.

Apparently not. In a break with convention, Peckers have been given round 1 off and WT round 2.
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation
wedgetail
Under 18s

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby heater31 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:22 pm

Adelaide University's Joel Logan in a bit of hot water with a 2 year ban suspended for betting on cricket. Only got away with a suspended sentence because he is a Futures League player only contracted on a per match basis......

Players banned for gambling breach
heater31

Postby backoftheroom » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:13 am

The SA Gov don't happen to have the same power over SACA as their NSW counterparts do over Parramatta do they?
backoftheroom

Been liked: 20 times

Postby maxi » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:46 pm

Glenelg look like signing a fast bowler from NSW. Name escapes me anyone heard who he is.
maxi
Rookie

Been liked: 8 times

Postby heater31 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:03 pm

maxi wrote:Glenelg look like signing a fast bowler from NSW. Name escapes me anyone heard who he is.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, I hope they have a good physiotherapist.......
heater31

Postby maxi » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:23 pm

heater31 wrote:
maxi wrote:Glenelg look like signing a fast bowler from NSW. Name escapes me anyone heard who he is.

Not sure how much Mitchell Starc wil play for them
maxi
Rookie

Postby heater31 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:15 pm

maxi wrote:
heater31 wrote:

Nigel Cowell is the name from Sydney University. He emailed SACA asking to be forwarded to all clubs as he is looking for a fresh start in SA with the view to push for First Class selection.

Impressive First Grade Stats in Sydney with a good average. Has played 2nd XI for NSW. However has had significant back injuries over the past 5 years and his latest injury cost him a First Class debut. Admire his courage to seek new opportunities but I'm sure plenty of clubs cooled their interest due to his injury history. On the flip side if he is fit going to be a very good bowler in our Competition.
heater31

Postby maxi » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:10 am

heater31 wrote:
maxi wrote:
heater31 wrote:

Nigel Cowell is the name from Sydney University. He emailed SACA asking to be forwarded to all clubs as he is looking for a fresh start in SA with the view to push for First Class selection.

Impressive First Grade Stats in Sydney with a good average. Has played 2nd XI for NSW. However has had significant back injuries over the past 5 years and his latest injury cost him a First Class debut. Admire his courage to seek new opportunities but I'm sure plenty of clubs cooled their interest due to his injury history. On the flip side if he is fit going to be a very good bowler in our Competition.

Ive hd a mental blank but Im sure that wasnt the name I heard must be two coming accross.
maxi
Rookie

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps