Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:43 pm

fathersonsfl wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Brighton would want nothing less than a Div 2 entry, would the SAAFL give them that?

Div 3 is what I am hearing.

There is a straight up flag then, soft entry I guess might suit.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby Luke15 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:26 pm

shoe boy wrote:I seen some photos of the deck at Reynella :shock:

What was it like on the weekend Shoeboy?? We play there this week. Does Nick need to pick all Mudlarks in the side??
Luke15
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby shoe boy » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:31 pm

Luke15 wrote:
shoe boy wrote:I seen some photos of the deck at Reynella :shock:

What was it like on the weekend Shoeboy?? We play there this week. Does Nick need to pick all Mudlarks in the side??

It would appear some have taken my post the wrong way as the oval was in the best nick I have seen for years .

Even the Reynella President made comment of my observation in the Presidents lunch :D
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby HairyGiant » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:07 pm

HairyGiant wrote:A lot of people going over old ground, covered so many times so though I would do a quick write up on my thoughts/what I have heard for the upcoming year.
Flagstaff Hill Could go one of 2 ways after last years finals choke, should make the GF
Reynella Flag favourites with a few players and brown paper bags moving around
Brighton Surprise grand finalists, good honest team who will perform well in finals because of fitness and big ovals
Noarlunga Always land a few big fish around this time of year, Finals spot will determine who they get
M Ville Park A few years of finals footy, I have them slipping down the ladder
Christies, one of the best performed teams of last year, with all teams making the Prelim (iirc) recycling an old coach who didn't have much success seems strange, and there are a few locals unhappy, Club would be expecting atleast a prelim with recruits that have come in.
Morphett Vale, recruited well, have a coach that should be able to get the most out of the team, although not to many at Mclaren were to disappointed to see him leave
Happy Valley For a club with so many numbers and juniors, last year would be probably the most disappointing of all teams! Too many chiefs and not enough Indians off field
Port Noarlunga Would expect with them missing the finals last year and the easier draw (pattern of the last few years) for them to improve, but im not hearing any good things with a lot of the older players staying around and taking the $$$ without the passion
Cove New Coach will be interesting, haven't got a lot of ins yet, Similar to last year
Marion Havent heard much, so would expect the same
Hackham Still suffering from the Clifton regime, haven't heard to many promising reports
OSB Lonsdale Have a few handy clearances in, but also lost their best 2 players from last year
Aldinga As always a few clearances in, need the recruits to stick around for a few years to try and turn it around, Finally seem to have juniors filtering through which is the key for them

If you dig deep enough I think that you will find that 5 clubs desperately want out of the SFL, and if it doesn't happen this year it will next.
This will have to be something the head honchos will always have on them! 10 years of nothing, disgrace really but it continues. When there was a vote for 2 divs, what happened in the end? Did one of the panel abstain from voting so it was an even vote and then it stayed the same?
Cant believe the clubs are going to finally move as the league is too useless to make decisions

Mid Season Report
Flaggies, as expected, hopefully losing games in minor round will mean that they don't drop them in finals as that's when it counts
Reynella, most thought they would atleast make GF, have a few more challengers now
Brighton as expected
Noarlunga no big recruits and will remain around the mark
Morphie Parks, good results so far, harder draw will make them 5th to 8th
Christies Would be very disappointed, a few rumbles about the coach, big $$$ to be missing finals
Morphett Vale Genuine contender, recruits will only get better the more they play together
Happy Valley, most disappointing team so far, similar to last year and coach got the chop!
Port Noarlunga have been good and with the easier draw will make the numbers in the 8
Cove, very mixed results from week to week, a few clearances in but don't think they have been playing
Marion, could go winless in their final year in the SFL
Hackham, as expected, hopefully stay in the SFL, but think they have had enough, I think they voted against 2 divs, would be regretting it now.
Lonsdale, have been playing at maximum player points?
Aldinga have done what everyone wanted and improved, if it wasn't for a few injuries in games would have snuck a couple more wins!
HairyGiant
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: McLaren

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:11 pm

Heath Lawry, injured or planned mid season break?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby jet-airport » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:49 am

Dutchy wrote:Heath Lawry, injured or planned mid season break?

If its a break he's got PLENTY of spending money $$,$$$.$$ :lol:
jet-airport
Rookie

Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby MatteeG » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:53 am

Magnificent wins by Flaggies A's and Bs on the weekend.

As an old falcon who never experienced a single win against the Vikings it warmed the cockles...
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby jet-airport » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:08 pm

HairyGiant wrote:
HairyGiant wrote:A lot of people going over old ground, covered so many times so though I would do a quick write up on my thoughts/what I have heard for the upcoming year.
Flagstaff Hill Could go one of 2 ways after last years finals choke, should make the GF
Reynella Flag favourites with a few players and brown paper bags moving around
Brighton Surprise grand finalists, good honest team who will perform well in finals because of fitness and big ovals
Noarlunga Always land a few big fish around this time of year, Finals spot will determine who they get
M Ville Park A few years of finals footy, I have them slipping down the ladder
Christies, one of the best performed teams of last year, with all teams making the Prelim (iirc) recycling an old coach who didn't have much success seems strange, and there are a few locals unhappy, Club would be expecting atleast a prelim with recruits that have come in.
Morphett Vale, recruited well, have a coach that should be able to get the most out of the team, although not to many at Mclaren were to disappointed to see him leave
Happy Valley For a club with so many numbers and juniors, last year would be probably the most disappointing of all teams! Too many chiefs and not enough Indians off field
Port Noarlunga Would expect with them missing the finals last year and the easier draw (pattern of the last few years) for them to improve, but im not hearing any good things with a lot of the older players staying around and taking the $$$ without the passion
Cove New Coach will be interesting, haven't got a lot of ins yet, Similar to last year
Marion Havent heard much, so would expect the same
Hackham Still suffering from the Clifton regime, haven't heard to many promising reports
OSB Lonsdale Have a few handy clearances in, but also lost their best 2 players from last year
Aldinga As always a few clearances in, need the recruits to stick around for a few years to try and turn it around, Finally seem to have juniors filtering through which is the key for them

If you dig deep enough I think that you will find that 5 clubs desperately want out of the SFL, and if it doesn't happen this year it will next.
This will have to be something the head honchos will always have on them! 10 years of nothing, disgrace really but it continues. When there was a vote for 2 divs, what happened in the end? Did one of the panel abstain from voting so it was an even vote and then it stayed the same?
Cant believe the clubs are going to finally move as the league is too useless to make decisions

Mid Season Report
Flaggies, as expected, hopefully losing games in minor round will mean that they don't drop them in finals as that's when it counts - Not sure of form on big decks Bice /SAFC.
Reynella, most thought they would atleast make GF, have a few more challengers now - have added to depth McEntee back , injured players returning.
Brighton as expected - do they need one more big bloke to push for a GF win?
Noarlunga no big recruits and will remain around the mark - Not sure they can go with top 3.
Morphie Parks, good results so far, harder draw will make them 5th to 8th - Player depth a worry, play there oval well not so much "normal ovals". :D
Christies Would be very disappointed, a few rumbles about the coach, big $$$ to be missing finals. Tough gig after Cratey - drums are beating for the coach.
Morphett Vale Genuine contender, recruits will only get better the more they play together - GF Smokey for me, going well & well coached, inclusion of Bode SNR will strengthen a currently good midfield further.
Happy Valley, most disappointing team so far, similar to last year and coach got the chop! - Playing mainly - Kids - should of been doing it 2 years ago!
Port Noarlunga have been good and with the easier draw will make the numbers in the 8 - Agreed, no real damage in finals.
Cove, very mixed results from week to week, a few clearances in but don't think they have been playing - Up and down results, young side, good draw coming home - May make finals in new coaches 1st year.
Marion, could go winless in their final year in the SFL - no comment.
Hackham, as expected, hopefully stay in the SFL, but think they have had enough, I think they voted against 2 divs, would be regretting it now. - no comment
Lonsdale, have been playing at maximum player points? improved staying in games longer, retain players is the key for 2017
Aldinga have done what everyone wanted and improved, if it wasn't for a few injuries in games would have snuck a couple more wins!
Dinga - Been impressed, good bunch of 18-21 year olds, have a gun in no 19 Purvis, will struggle to keep him I imagine in 2017 $$$.
jet-airport
Rookie

Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 15 times

Postby Fricky » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:02 pm

Dutchy wrote:
fathersonsfl wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Brighton would want nothing less than a Div 2 entry, would the SAAFL give them that?

Div 3 is what I am hearing.

There is a straight up flag then, soft entry I guess might suit.

I would have a guess and say any club coming into the SAAFL would end up no higher than Div 3. Edwardstown were put in Div 4 when they came back this season and are currently in 5th, albeit 1 win from top spot with a game in hand. I would think Brighton are a lot better than Edwardstown and would dominate Div 4.

Currently there are 9 teams in Div 4 so there's a spot available in the league for another team to come into. Over the last few years some clubs have asked to be placed a few division lower than they should be so it could open up that two of Brighton, Marion and Morphy Park could slot into Div 4 next year.

I was speaking to an old Brighton player today and he cant see any use of the club moving leagues
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:39 pm

Brighton are a 15 goal better side than Edwardstown.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby sweendog » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:31 pm

Can see the Sfl following the same path as the once powerful Sca...within 10 yrs will be dead and buried clubs moving on and also folding!!! Had numerous chances to fix the league but the geriatric board are to arrogant to accept were they've gone wrong !!

Up to 4 teams to walk to Saafl next year!
oh when the saints go marching in
sweendog
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby scottroo » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:32 pm

There's no way Marion will be coming into division 4. They will get smashed.
scottroo
League - Best 21

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 172 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby helicopterking » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:56 pm

scottroo wrote:There's no way Marion will be coming into division 4. They will get smashed.

Hopefully not, Div 6 maybe.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 667 times

Postby Boof » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:00 pm

A move to tha SAAFL for any club is a massive undertaking. While the likes of Marion might be considering the move is it really a viable option?
I think most of us agree the current model of the SFL needs to be changed or we run the risk of losing clubs gradually.
The league is a ship without a captain at present, we need leadership before it's to late. Craig Warman has been a great servant of the league for many years and has a done a very serviceable job of what is a tough gig. I don't think there would be to many league Presidents umpiring juniors on a Saturday morning! Great stuff.
But he's not the man to steer the ship through the rough waters we currently find ourselves in, I really hope he can see that!

Changing the subject, Reynella's U/16s did not lose a game last season and are currently undefeated this year. Has a team in any grade gone through 2 seasons undefeated in consecutive years in the SFL?
Boof
Mini-League

Been liked: 6 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:41 pm

Boof wrote:
Changing the subject, Reynella's U/16s did not lose a game last season and are currently undefeated this year. Has a team in any grade gone through 2 seasons undefeated in consecutive years in the SFL?

Claiming this years flag already? :D

They had a seriously good team last year and although we got within 3 points twice we just couldn't crack them, some have said its the best u16 team they have seen for years. Looks like not much has changed this year.

Flaggies 14's only lost 1 game last year and closest any team has gotten to them is 11 goals this year....still a lot of footy to be played yet though.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Boof » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:40 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Boof wrote:

Claiming this years flag already? :D

They had a seriously good team last year and although we got within 3 points twice we just couldn't crack them, some have said its the best u16 team they have seen for years. Looks like not much has changed this year.

Flaggies 14's only lost 1 game last year and closest any team has gotten to them is 11 goals this year....still a lot of footy to be played yet though.

Not claiming anything Dutchy, I agree there is still a lot of footy to be played yet!
Was just curious if it has been achieved before?
Personally I don't think it's a good thing for the development of junior players to not lose occasionally! Reynella have had teams dominate junior grades in the past as have other clubs, but teams which have had average years have generally produced more A - grade players in the years that follow.
Boof
Mini-League

Been liked: 6 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:04 am

Agree, always think that if you can put enough pressure on these undefeated teams they can crack as they are used to just rolling up and winning easy without pressure.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby cracka » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:13 am

sweendog wrote:Can see the Sfl following the same path as the once powerful Sca...within 10 yrs will be dead and buried clubs moving on and also folding!!! Had numerous chances to fix the league but the geriatric board are to arrogant to accept were they've gone wrong !!

I reckon that has been said every year since I joined this forum.At least the Blackwood to join SFL rumour hasn't been thrown around for a while.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby The Cloak » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:19 am

sweendog wrote:Can see the Sfl following the same path as the once powerful Sca...within 10 yrs will be dead and buried clubs moving on and also folding!!! Had numerous chances to fix the league but the geriatric board are to arrogant to accept were they've gone wrong !!

Heard from a source that Blackwood to join SFL next year.
The Cloak
Mini-League

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Coober Pedy

Postby fathersonsfl » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:42 am

cracka wrote:

I reckon that has been said every year since I joined this forum.At least the Blackwood to join SFL rumour hasn't been thrown around for a while.

I know for a fact that Brighton is seriously looking at amateurs next year.
fathersonsfl
Rookie

Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL