Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Postby Corona Man » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:44 am

bennymacca wrote:
Booney wrote:
bennymacca wrote:To me the independents are a sign of a functioning democracy

This is true, it's also a reflection that many people don't actually understand the implications of doing so.

For one I think Xenophon does a great job at putting south Australian interests first

But it's sure going to be interesting with a few hansons, lambie and hinch in the senate

I have always been in a fairly "boring" electorate... no longer!

It will be interesting now to see how effective or otherwise the constituents of Mayo find our NXT MP..... I really have no idea how this will no play out. I have been critical in the past of "independents" who claim to put their electorate first, sometimes in my view, to the detriment of the rest of the state, or the country. Think Geoff Brock.

For me Xenophon puts himself first....prime media slut. Plenty of Pollies guilty of that though.

Turnbull has pulled the wrong reign for sure. The idea was to clean the senate out of the "blockers".... he has just replaced them with another set of blockers..... So this country will spin its wheels for another 3 or 4 years... fabulous!

Independents work in theory, let's see how they work in practice.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby shoe boy » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:25 pm

Pauline Hanson , can anyone inform me how many votes did she receive 100 ? 10000?

I have a heavy heart knowing my fellow Australians feel she has something to offer.
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby stan » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:26 pm

Corona Man wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
Booney wrote:
bennymacca wrote:To me the independents are a sign of a functioning democracy

This is true, it's also a reflection that many people don't actually understand the implications of doing so.

For one I think Xenophon does a great job at putting south Australian interests first

But it's sure going to be interesting with a few hansons, lambie and hinch in the senate

I have always been in a fairly "boring" electorate... no longer!

It will be interesting now to see how effective or otherwise the constituents of Mayo find our NXT MP..... I really have no idea how this will no play out. I have been critical in the past of "independents" who claim to put their electorate first, sometimes in my view, to the detriment of the rest of the state, or the country. Think Geoff Brock.

For me Xenophon puts himself first....prime media slut. Plenty of Pollies guilty of that though.

Turnbull has pulled the wrong reign for sure. The idea was to clean the senate out of the "blockers".... he has just replaced them with another set of blockers..... So this country will spin its wheels for another 3 or 4 years... fabulous!

I think this bunch on independents in the senate will make th e last lot look fairly sane.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:34 pm

shoe boy wrote:Pauline Hanson , can anyone inform me how many votes did she receive 100 ? 10000?

I have a heavy heart knowing my fellow Australians feel she has something to offer.

http://vtr.aec.gov.au/SenateStateFirstP ... 99-QLD.htm

133,000 from what I see in this. That's if I'm reading it right....
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby mickey » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:00 pm

I'm guessing that's just the above the line figures
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 312 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby gossipgirl » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:28 pm

shoe boy wrote:Pauline Hanson , can anyone inform me how many votes did she receive 100 ? 10000?

please explain and don't forget shame shame shame !!!!!
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby shoe boy » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:38 pm

Booney wrote:

http://vtr.aec.gov.au/SenateStateFirstP ... 99-QLD.htm

133,000 from what I see in this. That's if I'm reading it right....

F--K me !!
"Please explain"
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Postby Grahaml » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:45 pm

Massive potential for another election. If the candidates leading the seats in doubt hold on, we'll be 72-72 with 6 independants. To form government, the coalition or Labor would need 4 of those 6. We can be pretty sure Katter will go coalition, Bandt to the ALP. So if those 4 remaining are split evenly, there will be no majority and we go back to the polls.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:49 pm

Grahaml wrote:Massive potential for another election. If the candidates leading the seats in doubt hold on, we'll be 72-72 with 6 independants. To form government, the coalition or Labor would need 4 of those 6. We can be pretty sure Katter will go coalition, Bandt to the ALP. So if those 4 remaining are split evenly, there will be no majority and we go back to the polls.

If that's the case I won't be going back where I went on Saturday, no sausage sizzle!

#democracylinesup #democracyhasnosausages #democracywashungoverfromFridaynightfootball
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Corona Man » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:51 pm

Grahaml wrote:Massive potential for another election. If the candidates leading the seats in doubt hold on, we'll be 72-72 with 6 independants. To form government, the coalition or Labor would need 4 of those 6. We can be pretty sure Katter will go coalition, Bandt to the ALP. So if those 4 remaining are split evenly, there will be no majority and we go back to the polls.

Agree, and if that happens, Turnbull is shot, Labour will win (which is better than what we have now) and someone, will hopefully get on with running the country.....
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Psyber » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:47 pm

Corona Man wrote:

Agree, and if that happens, Turnbull is shot, Labour will win (which is better than what we have now) and someone, will hopefully get on with running the country.....

Labor have taken the "U" out of it, and may do the same to the contry.

Technically they are using the original Latin spelling but the word came into English through (Norman) French.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Psyber » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:58 pm

stan wrote:
Corona Man wrote: I have always been in a fairly "boring" electorate... no longer!

I think this bunch on independents in the senate will make the last lot look fairly sane.

The NXT member for Mayo is fairly experienced - not only was she a staffer for Jamie Briggs but also for Martin Hamilton-Smith when he led the Liberal Party.
Martin thought she was a good hard worker which is why he and his wife gave out how to vote cards for her - as well as because he wants to encourage more independent thinkers into the system.

The few very right wing independents may also help to offset the influence of the extremely left Greens.
The negotiating should be interesting, and I must admit I like the idea of neither major party having the power to ram through anything they like, whenever they like.
Psyber
Coach

Postby shoe boy » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:01 pm

shoe boy wrote:
shoe boy wrote:
shoe boy wrote:Away interstate and met up with some interesting character's with interesting views ,Abott/Heffernan/Bernardi/Coonin/Clarke/Cormann/Abetz/Andrews/ just to name a few but was disappointed I didn't get to meet our great deputy leader of our great country Barnaby Joyce .

With the subject of same sex marriage we have the "coalition" religious nuts at odds , and the old far right nuts Bernardi/Cormann/Abbot/ front and centre. 8-}

We also have Turnbull making comment ,and I quote "plebiscite will be conducted in a respectful manner" I have said it before YOU CAN PUT LIPSTICK ON A PIG BUT IT IS STILL A PIG.

Stable united team . :))
Dud Dutton can you please say something !!! :-#

The Dud is hanging on by a thread .. but still nowhere to be seen.
Bernardi you class act
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Postby Corona Man » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:10 pm

Psyber wrote:
stan wrote:
Corona Man wrote: I have always been in a fairly "boring" electorate... no longer!

I think this bunch on independents in the senate will make the last lot look fairly sane.

The NXT member for Mayo is fairly experienced - not only was she a staffer for Jamie Briggs but also for Martin Hamilton-Smith when he led the Liberal Party.
Martin thought she was a good hard worker which is why he and his wife gave out how to vote cards for her - as well as because he wants to encourage more independent thinkers into the system.

The few very right wing independents may also help to offset the influence of the extremely left Greens.
The negotiating should be interesting, and I must admit I like the idea of neither major party having the power to ram through anything they like, whenever they like.

I understand the purpose of the senate.

I couldn't give a Malcolm Blight (Rats tb) about how experienced the NXT member is. She will either be a good member & achieve outcomes for Mayo, or she will be sh!thouse & be bundled out next time around..... anyone remember Peter Lewis.... yep, thought not.

With the chance of there being a re-run election, in the not to distant future... does Briggs butter up for another crack, or do the Libs put up an alternative in Mayo?
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Psyber » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:18 pm

Corona Man wrote: I understand the purpose of the senate.

I couldn't give a Malcolm Blight (Rats tb) about how experienced the NXT member is. She will either be a good member & achieve outcomes for Mayo, or she will be sh!thouse & be bundled out next time around..... anyone remember Peter Lewis.... yep, thought not.

With the chance of there being a re-run election, in the not to distant future... does Briggs butter up for another crack, or do the Libs put up an alternative in Mayo?

I think the re-run is just the usual media hype, like the hysteria they whip up over any minor variation in stock values where "plummets" can mean a 0.5% drop in something.

Turnbull wouldn't want to irritate the electorate with another round so soon and if the ALP gets power, even only with Green support, they'll hang on as long as possible for the same reason. From what Scott Morrison said about Jamie Briggs losing the seat doesn't sound like anyone in the party room wants him back in Parliament. I don't remember the exact words he said when the loss of the seat was announced on TV, but it was something like "that's probably the end of his political career, and it's probably not a bad thing..." So, someone will nominate an alternative and given Jamie has not been popular for some time, I think the party members would choose the alternative.

Local people have, I think, been voting for the Party not him. I'm a Liberal Party member in Mayo, and I know several paid up members who were disenchanted with him and planned to vote NXT rather than re-elect him. Most I think would go back to voting Liberal given another candidate.
Psyber
Coach

Postby Grahaml » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:06 pm

Would like to know the numbers regarding reruns, but my instinct would be that they usually favour the established parties and particularly the incumbent. In a follow up campaign I think some of Labor's best attacks might be less effective. Particularly the Medicare one. Just about everyone was having a laugh at the idea this one could be true so I think it had run its race. Mayo and Gray could both play out very differently. Don't think the Liberal party's own line about chaos was effective, although neither party ever seems to put something out there that doesn't have some traction. But if it was, a re-run would only amplify that though.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby Grenville » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:34 pm

The negotiating should be interesting, and I must admit I like the idea of neither major party having the power to ram through anything they like, whenever they like.[/quote]

Agreed, some degree of accountability is a must.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby stan » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:54 pm

A re-run would be a disaster allround for the Liberals. Turnball is under fire at the moment and honestly the Liberals were really ambushed at this election. Maybe you are right and they would get there shit together with another crack at it but they seemed to concentrated on too much fear with the independents that it allowed Labor of the leash a bit.

In some areas in SA they were always going to bury the Liberal party.
stan
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:39 am

Psyber wrote:
Corona Man wrote:

Labor have taken the "U" out of it, and may do the same to the contry.

Technically they are using the original Latin spelling but the word came into English through (Norman) French.

Liberal doing a good job of taking the o, r and y out of the country.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby stan » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:21 am

Looking at the AEC website, libs 67 and labor 71 seats at the moment. 6 undecided at this point. Good chance it could be 72 - 72.
stan
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics