R14 - Norwood v South @ Coopers

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: R14 - Norwood v South @ Coopers

Postby saintal » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:12 pm

Scrappy game but good to win away from home at a venue that hasn't been kind in recent years.

Although not a lot separated the two teams for most of the game, felt South looked the more likely winner throughout.

Seccull named best in his 50th, was very busy. Not too many other standouts. Debutant Ellison showed a bit with 2 goals and 7 marks, was particularly busy in the final quarter. Crabb had the better of Johnston, who barely gave a yelp in the final term.

Panos and Chippendale good for the Legs.

Umpiring hasn't been too bad of late, but they were whistle-happy today. Some bewildering calls, especially HTB and a few 25M penalties. Plenty of niggle between the sides, with perhaps a square-up on Bass after what happened the last time the club's met.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Jim05 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:25 pm

saintal wrote:Scrappy game but good to win away from home at a venue that hasn't been kind in recent years.

Although not a lot separated the two teams for most of the game, felt South looked the more likely winner throughout.

Seccull named best in his 50th, was very busy. Not too many other standouts. Debutant Ellison showed a bit with 2 goals and 7 marks, was particularly busy in the final quarter. Crabb had the better of Johnston, who barely gave a yelp in the final term.

Panos and Chippendale good for the Legs.

Umpiring hasn't been too bad of late, but they were whistle-happy today. Some bewildering calls, especially HTB and a few 25M penalties. Plenty of niggle between the sides, with perhaps a square-up on Bass after what happened the last time the club's met.

Was Ellison the big fella, number 42? Slaughtered us in the last.
Thought Seccull and Gulden were your best 2 today, Overall didn't do a lot but took a couple of ripping marks infront of us.
Panos and Roocke probably our two best, Cachia got a fair bit but most of them were backwards kicks or handballs to guys under the hammer
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby saintal » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:43 pm

Yeah Ellison is 42 Jim. Played at Reynella last year apparently.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby another grub » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:11 am

Dissapointing legs. this side ,on paper, should not be losing games at home by 5 goals to south. Besides wilson there is no speed whatsoever.

This cannot be seen as an acceptable performance as it is mediocre.

Its time to make the call .....SACK BENNY!
another grub
Coach

Has liked: 463 times
Been liked: 420 times

Postby Douglas Mawson » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:41 pm

Well that was the toughest game to watch this year since the debacle at Elizabeth. I thought that with the return of so many players over the last two weeks and the real endeavour shown for three quarters in each of the games against Sturt and Centrals recently that this horrible season might be beginning to turn around. Even that newfound endeavour dropped away today – particularly after halftime. There are many players down on confidence and form (Persinos and Georgiou stood out yesterday – but previously that has included Donahue and Forster) and our skills by hand and foot as a group have really fallen away. The structure that previously brought us so much success (and which is now attracting so much criticism from Norwood fans who think Dugga hasn't moved on) relied heavily on precision of ball movement by hand and foot. We are miles away from that precision at the moment.

South play very honest and accountable football and yesterday was probably a case of putting the "all played well" board up. They also have some really big bodied players with good skills and who took contested marks at critical times – particularly in the last quarter when South's big men stood out as wrestling the game away from Norwood. I like their style of footy.

For Norwood the positives included the good games by Panos and Cachia and the highlight of the past month has been the form of Chippendale. Without him we are probably letting another four goals in each game at the moment. His courage in his overhead marking is a feature. The negatives were exactly what the detractors have been complaining about all year – the only times we could be trusted to hit a target were when switching the play from one side of the ground to the other 70 m out from our goal with South letting us do that at will whilst they set up defensively in the 70 m in front of the Norwood players. Too often the choice was made to kick backwards to an unmarked player or sideways 15m to a marked player – but never 45m forwards to a marked player.

There are many many rules in SANFL football these days – particularly as we continue to yield to new rules set up at the behest of the AFL – but I'm yet to read about one which prohibits kicking the ball forward to a contest. I'm not convinced that Dugga specifically coaches the players to avoid doing that – but at the moment they lack the confidence to do so. I don't agree that " SACK BENNY" would achieve a thing at the moment.

We have some good forwards in form in the Reserves at the moment. It would be nice to see a big bodied "stay at home" forward playing behind Lewy just to try to straighten us up a bit. With the season well and truly over now there is an opportunity to have a look at some of these blokes playing at League level.

Time to hang tough now for the Norwood supporters who are known for being pretty fickle in times like these. The wheels on the bandwagon almost seized under the pressure towards the end of the 2010 - 2014 run. Now is the time to continue to "support" the coach and the players rather than only "spectate" upon them when you think they are going to win. Less than 2000 supporters turning up to a home game at the Parade is not good enough even in the current climate of declining SANFL crowds.
Douglas Mawson
Rookie

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 38 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby another grub » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:54 pm

Great post dm.
another grub
Coach

Postby Gozu » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:03 pm

Crowd 1,841
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby JK » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:41 pm

5-16 in last 21 games, haven't beaten any of the current top 5 in that time.

Players skills gone backward, playing a terrible style of football that's just gotten worse.

Hate to say it, but things can't be looking good for Dugga. Wish it wasn't the case, because he's a club great and by all reports a champion bloke, but the club can't continue like this.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4460 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Keefy » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:58 pm

From what i've heard is that they have a replacement lined up for Dugga already but won't put anything in motion until the end of the season
Keefy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 182 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby Jim05 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:05 pm

JK wrote:5-16 in last 21 games, haven't beaten any of the current top 5 in that time.

Players skills gone backward, playing a terrible style of football that's just gotten worse.

Hate to say it, but things can't be looking good for Dugga. Wish it wasn't the case, because he's a club great and by all reports a champion bloke, but the club can't continue like this.

The skills are probably the most difficult for supporters to handle.
I can't understand how the same guys that could thread 40m kicks through the eye of a needle now can't hit the side of a barn from 15m away. Some of our skills now border on country league stuff.
The play on at all costs and go backwards inside our D50 stuff is garbage and if Benny is instructing that he needs to go and if not he needs to get rid of the guys who continue to do it.
Season is over so need to start looking at next year
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby therisingblues » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:39 pm

Final Scores

Norwood...........: 2.3-15 : 4.5-29 : 6.6-42 : 8.8-56
South Adelaide : 4.2-26 : 6.5-41 : 8.8-56 : 12.13-85
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Keefy » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:37 pm

Wilson offered a $200 fine and reprimand with an early guilty plea for striking Adam Gulden
Keefy
League - Best 21

Postby southee » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:13 pm

Keefy wrote:Wilson offered a $200 fine and reprimand with an early guilty plea for striking Adam Gulden

And then Norwood were given the free and a 50 metre penelty ...go figure ! :roll:
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

Postby Keefy » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:15 pm

southee wrote:
Keefy wrote:Wilson offered a $200 fine and reprimand with an early guilty plea for striking Adam Gulden

And then Norwood were given the free and a 50 metre penelty ...go figure ! :roll:

Got me baffled

I've watched the highlights a couple of times and somewhere in there was high contact on Wilson.

From all that the MRP has cited him
Keefy
League - Best 21

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:49 am

Did I read a correct stat about this game - Norwood has lost its past 12 day games?
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Keefy » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:00 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Did I read a correct stat about this game - Norwood has lost its past 12 day games?

Correct

Haven't won a day game since July 11 last year.

Have won 80% of their night games but only 39% during the day
Keefy
League - Best 21

Postby another grub » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:48 pm

I wouldnt read to much into that crap stat
another grub
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:26 pm

It's interesting, more than anything else.
The ladder tells the actual story.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL