AFL teams to stay, clubs to receive $250k this year - Olsen

All discussions to do with the SANFL

AFL teams to stay, clubs to receive $250k this year - Olsen

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:12 pm

SA FOOTBALL’S greatest summit in more than 20 years on Monday night put all the key SANFL league and club decision makers in the same room for the first time since the debate on SA-based AFL licences.

And SANFL president John Olsen left the two-hour session at Adelaide Oval seeking unity to make SA football the “envy of every other State.”

All eight SANFL club boards, the full SA Football Commission and SANFL executive met at the Oval to define the critical agenda for SA football in the next decade.

“And the message is, ‘We are in this together’,” Olsen told The Advertiser.

“And we need to work together for a more professional, integrated SA football program that stands as the envy of every other state.”

Olsen on Monday night doubled this year’s payouts to the eight traditional SANFL clubs from the Football Park redevelopment - from $125,000 to $250,000.

But the SA Football Commission also reaffirmed it would hit SANFL clubs with penalties - such as a cap on football department spend - if they fail to at least break even on their balance sheets.

Olsen carried a strong agenda - and vision for SA football’s next decade - to the summit:

KEEP all eight traditional SANFL clubs. “And,” said Olsen, “accept we are in a serious business that has to move on from its amateur base in board rooms.”

HOLD the two AFL reserves teams from Port Adelaide and the Crows. “That is not negotiable - we have deal with the AFL clubs and they will be there for the next 10 years,” Olsen said. “The SANFL competition is better with them in - that is my strong view.”

VISION to integrate all SA football - from AusKick to SANFL league football. “We must build pathways to the elite (AFL) - and make sure SANFL league football is what it should be,” Olsen said. “The SANFL must be a vibrant second-tier competition to the elite AFL.”

CLEAR financial plan - 1. clear debt; 2. build future funds; 3. use cash flows to grow the game.

There also was an admission the SANFL administration could do better with Olsen openly conceding with this year’s league program: “We did not get it right.”

However, as the SANFL takes on the challenge of managing its fixture around the AFL program, Olsen did warn the clubs against blaming the Adelaide Oval phenomenon for disappointing crowd figures at state league games in Adelaide’s suburbia.

“Rather than blame Adelaide Oval for drawing fans to the AFL games, we need to embrace the Oval - more so when 75 per cent of the revenue the Oval generates for the SANFL goes to game development,” Olsen said.

Finances was a key focus of Monday night’s summit - more so as both the SANFL and its eight clubs fight the battle against debt and the challenge of increasing revenue streams in an ultra-competitive market.

Debt relief across the competition is to be fast-tracked with Monday night’s announcement to double the Football Park payments to the clubs in October.

The SANFL last year announced it would hand $2 million to each of the eight SANFL clubs from 2016 to 2022, starting with $125,000 this year. This figure is now $250,000 for this season.

“Our first estimates were deliberately conservative,” Olsen said. “But with the pace of the redevelopment (at West Lakes), we are now able to bring forward the payments to the clubs - and help them reduce debt.”

The Football Park cheques come with the demand they be used on debt reduction or to build cash reserves. And every SANFL club director at the summit was reminded of “their individual responsibility” for the club’s financial position.

Olsen left Monday night’s summit eager to deliver more help to the SANFL clubs after recently sending accountants and experts in gaming revenue and catering to enhance the clubs’ business plans and operations. This is to continue with marketing.

“We will assist the clubs, but we will also demand they be far more professional with their approach in what is now a serious business,” Olsen said. “Together, our objective has to be to make the SANFL the envy of every other state in Australian football.”
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Re: AFL teams to stay, clubs to receive $250k this year - Ol

Postby therisingblues » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:33 pm

Dutchy wrote:
However, as the SANFL takes on the challenge of managing its fixture around the AFL program, Olsen did warn the clubs against blaming the Adelaide Oval phenomenon for disappointing crowd figures at state league games in Adelaide’s suburbia.

“Rather than blame Adelaide Oval for drawing fans to the AFL games, we need to embrace the Oval - more so when 75 per cent of the revenue the Oval generates for the SANFL goes to game development,” in what is now a serious business.”

Blaming Adelaide Oval? Dude we have a hundred plus page thread screaming that the reason for falling crowds is the inclusion of reserves teams in the competition. AREN'T YOU LISTENING?
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Dogs72 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:52 pm

If this peanuts strong belief is the SANFL is better with the (the all teams) in, then can he please explain to the majority of us WHY? What leads to this strong belief? Is it tweets and website hits? My strong belief is they add nothing to the SANFL competition.

I think I'm just about done, had enough. They're not listening. In some small way, now I almost wish my club had voted yes, then I could comfortably walk away. Torn, I have to stick with them.

Stuff you other piss weak boards.
Dogs72
Rookie

Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby RB » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:58 pm

Dutchy wrote:HOLD the two AFL reserves teams from Port Adelaide and the Crows. “That is not negotiable - we have deal with the AFL clubs and they will be there for the next 10 years,” Olsen said. “The SANFL competition is better with them in - that is my strong view.”

And there you have it - this is why the SANFL's ******.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby Magellan » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:12 am

If every sovereign SANFL club supporter boycotted Crows and Port reserves games such that the only people in attendance were a handful of AFL fans and respective club officials etc, you can be sure something would be done about it well before the end of Olsen's 10 year timeframe.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby southee » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:20 am

Dogs72 wrote:If this peanuts strong belief is the SANFL is better with the (the all teams) in, then can he please explain to the majority of us WHY? What leads to this strong belief? Is it tweets and website hits? My strong belief is they add nothing to the SANFL competition.

I think I'm just about done, had enough. They're not listening. In some small way, now I almost wish my club had voted yes, then I could comfortably walk away. Torn, I have to stick with them.

Stuff you other piss weak boards.

Stick with them mate. Our clubs voted NO to keep supporters like us going and not to have a compromised competition. They listened to the supporters/members.

Other clubs did not give a crap.

Our clubs need us. That is why I keep going and join as a member each year.
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:50 am

The commission is backed into a corner now, they have no choice but to back in the AFL teams, I get that. However PLEASE just admit what the problem is and do something pro-active about it. Denial, pure and simple.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby CUTTERMAN » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:09 am

Dutchy wrote:The commission is backed into a corner now, they have no choice but to back in the AFL teams, I get that. However PLEASE just admit what the problem is and do something pro-active about it. Denial, pure and simple.

Agree with this and a few other posts. A bit of honesty would be respectful, if it's all about AFL money and survival of the clubs then say so but people know why crowds are down so don't bullshit them if you want them to stay or God forbid, return.
I don't like the two teams being in but I accept it but it'd be nice if a few simple adjustments were even just discussed publicly that would appease the supporters that feel so disenfranchised.
Discuss having the two teams barred from the Magarey and finals, discuss a limit on AFL players in any one game (although I don't like this idea as it defeats the whole purpose), come up with something that shows some respect and understanding of the supporters that have been through thick and thin with their clubs.
This whole thing has been handled so appallingly and the clubs have to lump some of this discontent as they're the direct link to the supporters.
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby Pseudo » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:31 am

RB wrote:
Dutchy wrote:HOLD the two AFL reserves teams from Port Adelaide and the Crows. “That is not negotiable - we have deal with the AFL clubs and they will be there for the next 10 years,” Olsen said. “The SANFL competition is better with them in - that is my strong view.”

If either or both of the interlopers decided to leave the SANFL before the 15 years was up, for whatever reason, who would stop them? Neither Olsen nor the clubs have enough clout to keep them here. The agreement is worth squat.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Pseudo » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:34 am

Magellan wrote:If every sovereign SANFL club supporter boycotted Crows and Port reserves games such that the only people in attendance were a handful of AFL fans and respective club officials etc, you can be sure something would be done about it well before the end of Olsen's 10 year timeframe.

I have NEVER attended one and NEVER will.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:07 am

Double the money to bribe the clubs into keeping the AFL teams. It's pretty obvious they now just want to prop up some clubs so the AFL reserves have someone to play.
RIP SANFL.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby JK » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:18 am

Wedgie wrote:Double the money to bribe the clubs into keeping the AFL teams. It's pretty obvious they now just want to prop up some clubs so the AFL reserves have someone to play.
RIP SANFL.

Exactly what it smacks of - "here take this cash and just STFU"
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Spargo » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:29 am

Pseudo wrote:
Magellan wrote:If every sovereign SANFL club supporter boycotted Crows and Port reserves games such that the only people in attendance were a handful of AFL fans and respective club officials etc, you can be sure something would be done about it well before the end of Olsen's 10 year timeframe.

I have NEVER attended one and NEVER will.

Ditto.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:32 am

Whoever helped Olsen get in charge should be shot. He'll be remembered as the man that killed the SANFL.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby tipper » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:23 am

Wedgie wrote:Double the money to bribe the clubs into keeping the AFL teams. It's pretty obvious they now just want to prop up some clubs so the AFL reserves have someone to play.
RIP SANFL.

Agreed Wedgie. the question now is, will the bribe work? will any clubs speak out anyway about what the afl reserves are doing to the league? i know north wont. they didnt need the bribe to stay onside. but they wont turn it down. "north dont need people at the games to make money...." as if that is what football is all about :oops:

too bad really, although its probably too late anyway. people that have stopped going will have found something else to do with their time.
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby UK Fan » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:48 am

RB wrote:

Can we get Olsens quote right "Channel 7 says it likes afl reserves in the SANFL and who am I to argue "
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby stan » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:06 am

Wedgie wrote:Whoever helped Olsen get in charge should be shot. He'll be remembered as the man that killed the SANFL.

Well that will be a step up from being known as the last SA Premier forced to resign mid term due to "dubious" dealings with Motorola.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby stan » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:09 am

RIP SANFL.

Yeah pretty much agree there. But I have said all along about Olsen. Dodgy as all **** and with him at thr helm of this thr sanfl was rooted to begin with.

The battle to save the sabfl was won and lost when he was appointed. All of this is just the passing game now.

Clearly the fans of the competition are no longer required as its all about $$$ generate from Adelaide Oval.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:49 am

therisingblues wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

“Rather than blame Adelaide Oval for drawing fans to the AFL games, we need to embrace the Oval - more so when 75 per cent of the revenue the Oval generates for the SANFL goes to game development,” in what is now a serious business.”

Blaming Adelaide Oval? Dude we have a hundred plus page thread screaming that the reason for falling crowds is the inclusion of reserves teams in the competition. AREN'T YOU LISTENING?

Spot on, crowds are down at Adelaide Oval by over 5% in the last two years and will continue to drop as the novelty factor is eroded.
Using his dumbass logic SANFL crowds should be up.
He is so sheltered he has no idea , the SANFL is doomed.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby darley16 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:05 pm

If you blokes are so pi$$ed off about the SANFL and its future, close down this site, why bother posting your continual bile, walk away find something else in life to complain about. The comp is different, it is still a good comp with all our historic clubs competing, the players are committed young men playing to a great standard. Go and watch, support your club and maybe the future won't be a bleak as you're all hoping it should be.
darley16
Under 18s

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 58 times

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL