AFL teams to stay, clubs to receive $250k this year - Olsen

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: AFL teams to stay, clubs to receive $250k this year - Ol

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:20 pm

darley16 wrote:If you blokes are so pi$$ed off about the SANFL and its future, close down this site, why bother posting your continual bile, walk away find something else in life to complain about. The comp is different, it is still a good comp with all our historic clubs competing, the players are committed young men playing to a great standard. Go and watch, support your club and maybe the future won't be a bleak as you're all hoping it should be.

This site is much more than just SANFL mate, we have every right to discuss issues, that's what the site is about.

My clubs future has always looked good since 2003, supporting them or the current league isn't going to fix anything, only contribute to its demise.
250K means we'll just make more money we can't spend on players.
I encourage my daughter to be a trainer at South and she's there every game from 9.30am to 5.30pm as well as training. My son now runs water for them too when they're short. I'd also like to think I'd done my bit at North being runner up in the volunteer of the year award one year.
The future is very bleak and unless we help fix it by being outspoken it's ******.
If I had your attitude and just supported my club or the league when they tried to get North to merge or die I wouldn't even have a club!

Geezus, South couldn't even get 1K to the Port game, you should be pushing for change more than anyone. Or you could just support your league and club and have them playing in front of noone soon enough in a completely irrelevant comp.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:41 pm

It's been aired on here before ; "I'm not going to support the competition anymore, I'm not going to games".

Crowds numbers fall..."Look, crowds are down!"

It's clear the AFL reserves sides aren't going anywhere, the SANFL today is not what it used to be, it's now up to the people who support it to decide what it becomes. If people walk away altogether and don't support it....then predictions of "doomed" aren't overly Nostradamus like.

If people choose to keep supporting their club, in the SANFL, then it should remain as it is now. Different, but it's still your club.
Last edited by Booney on Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:44 pm

Booney wrote:It's been aired on here before ; "I'm not going to support the competition anymore, I'm not going to games".

Crowds numbers fall..."Look, crowds are down!"

It's clear the AFL reserves sides aren't going anywhere, the SANFL today is not what it used to be, it's now up to the people who support it to decide what it becomes. If people walk away, altogether and don't support it....then predictions of doomed aren't overly Nostradamus like.

If people choose to keep supporting their club, in the SANFL, then it should remain as it is now. Different, but it's still your club.

How come you didn't say the opposite two months ago when the recommendation was to disband the two new clubs?

It's not even close to a done deal unless you just believe Olsen. Perhaps give him a ring on a Motorola.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:46 pm

I don't think the AFL reserves were ever going anywhere, why pitch ideas at something that isn't going to happen?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:46 pm

darley16 wrote:If you blokes are so pi$$ed off about the SANFL and its future, close down this site, why bother posting your continual bile, walk away find something else in life to complain about. The comp is different, it is still a good comp with all our historic clubs competing, the players are committed young men playing to a great standard. Go and watch, support your club and maybe the future won't be a bleak as you're all hoping it should be.

I don't see anyone on here hoping for a bleak future.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby darley16 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:50 pm

That's the passion i'am talking about Wedgie, good lad. Like you i'am entitled to an opinion and all this site's negativity goes nowhere, how will comments on here stop the future from being so (apparently) bleak? Being outspoken amoungst a small group autonomous site posters is influencing who to change what? It's exactly your passion to support the game and by encouraging your kids to the same that will save the comp, not keyboard warriors and web-site trolls.
darley16
Under 18s

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:51 pm

Booney wrote:I don't think the AFL reserves were ever going anywhere, why pitch ideas at something that isn't going to happen?

Luckily it doesn't come down to what you think.
The previous concept wasnt a pitch. It was a recommendation.
There will only be so much money bribed to the poorer performing clubs before it runs out.
The wheels are already turning anyway, all those at the meeting are hardly united despite what Olsen said
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:56 pm

Good post. People need to support their own clubs more than ever. Trashing the competition does nothing to help it prosper.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby tipper » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:00 pm

Booney wrote:

Good post. People need to support their own clubs more than ever. Trashing the competition does nothing to help it prosper.

too bad the club delegates didnt think that way when they voted to introduce the reserves sides. that has done far more to trash the competition than any posts on here have ever done.
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:02 pm

Booney wrote:

Crap, it's the opposite. Support the league now and the SANFL will continue its downward spiral and die.
Oppose it and there's still a chance it can be saved and revitalised.
There is absolutely no way it will survive as it is now.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby JK » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:04 pm

darley16 wrote:Go and watch, support your club and maybe the future won't be a bleak as you're all hoping it should be.

Yep, that's what we're after :shock:
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby darley16 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:13 pm

Oppose it how? By not going to games or becoming members surely that will kill it off sooner. How will that revitalise it?
darley16
Under 18s

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:16 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Booney wrote:

Crap, it's the opposite. Support the league now and the SANFL will continue its downward spiral and die.

If the people in charge can't see it now, at what point will the spiral end and the competition be saved? What will be left to save?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:17 pm

Booney wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
Booney wrote:

If the people in charge can't see it now, at what point will the spiral end and the competition be saved? What will be left to save?

Most can.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:18 pm

darley16 wrote:Oppose it how? By not going to games or becoming members surely that will kill it off sooner. How will that revitalise it?

The argument is show the people in charge that the competition isn't working as it is, walk away and it will soon be 400 people going to games....then it seems the powers to be will kick the AFL reserves sides out and the competition be saved. But what will be left to save?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:19 pm

darley16 wrote:Oppose it how? By not going to games or becoming members surely that will kill it off sooner. How will that revitalise it?

Keep supporting it in its current format and it's 100% going to be irrelevant and die.
Don't support it and push for change and there's a good chance it can be relevant and thrive again.
Some % > 0%
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:19 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Booney wrote:If the people in charge can't see it now, at what point will the spiral end and the competition be saved? What will be left to save?

Most can.

So what's the answer, which, at this point, needs to be better than the $250k P.A currently on offer?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:25 pm

It will be even more different and even more diminished if the AFL get their way and put in a mid year draft. Where do you reckon the players are going to get drafted from?

In the situation of the draft occurring today, you'd have to think Sturt would be hit reasonably hard by other teams looking for players. It just means clubs get interfered with on a grander scale than they currently are.

I'm all for opportunity but it will have massive flow on effects if they bring it in.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:27 pm

tipper wrote:
Booney wrote:

too bad the club delegates didnt think that way when they voted to introduce the reserves sides. that has done far more to trash the competition than any posts on here have ever done.

I dare say they were lured by money and removal of sanctions, (ie, to save their own club) rather than the good of the competition.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:27 pm

Don't get me wrong I still support my club, however it is passive support now, where as it used to involve membership for me and my kids and going to as many home and away games as I could.

Ironically I now follow them via twitter/SANFL app instead of going to games, according to the SANFL that is good for the comp so who am I to argue?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL