AFL teams to stay, clubs to receive $250k this year - Olsen

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: AFL teams to stay, clubs to receive $250k this year - Ol

Postby Reddeer » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:28 pm

Wedgie wrote:
darley16 wrote:Oppose it how? By not going to games or becoming members surely that will kill it off sooner. How will that revitalise it?

Keep supporting it in its current format and it's 100% going to be irrelevant and die.
Don't support it and push for change and there's a good chance it can be relevant and thrive again.
Some % > 0%

If someone in charge would contemplate adjustments like not allowing AFL teams participation in the finals or Magarey Medal I would be swayed to change my objection to this completely laughable disenchanted non level field comp that it now is.
When will someone step up and do SOMETHING. It keeps getting suggested, mooted and then forgotten.
Port should be playing all their SANFL games away just like the crows have to do, why do they keep getting looked after. They wanted to go to the AFL, yet they still want it both ways.
Best idea is to clean out the dead heads in control and start again with an honest person at the helm, not the crook they have now
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:34 pm

Reddeer wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
darley16 wrote:Oppose it how? By not going to games or becoming members surely that will kill it off sooner. How will that revitalise it?

Keep supporting it in its current format and it's 100% going to be irrelevant and die.
Don't support it and push for change and there's a good chance it can be relevant and thrive again.
Some % > 0%

If someone in charge would contemplate adjustments like not allowing AFL teams participation in the finals or Magarey Medal I would be swayed to change my objection to this completely laughable disenchanted non level field comp that it now is.
When will someone step up and do SOMETHING. It keeps getting suggested, mooted and then forgotten.
Port should be playing all their SANFL games away just like the crows have to do, why do they keep getting looked after. They wanted to go to the AFL, yet they still want it both ways.
Best idea is to clean out the dead heads in control and start again with an honest person at the helm, not the crook they have now

At the clubs, the SANFL or both?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby therisingblues » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:06 pm

Please suggest a better way Darley.
You might have noticed the drop in activity on this site, there is also an absence of many outspoken opponents of the AFL reserves, true to their word they have chosen not to follow the comp anymore. I am one that still attends, hell I came back from an overseas absence of 13 years to find this mess, I cannot help myself, so while I am not happy with it in its current from, the bulk of my protest is written and verbal.
You are suggesting I should stop?
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby therisingblues » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:13 pm

Booney wrote:It's been aired on here before ; "I'm not going to support the competition anymore, I'm not going to games".

Crowds numbers fall..."Look, crowds are down!"

It's clear the AFL reserves sides aren't going anywhere, the SANFL today is not what it used to be, it's now up to the people who support it to decide what it becomes. If people walk away altogether and don't support it....then predictions of "doomed" aren't overly Nostradamus like.

If people choose to keep supporting their club, in the SANFL, then it should remain as it is now. Different, but it's still your club.

Well I guess you wouldn't need Nostradamus to tell you that those people who openly stated that they wouldn't go to games anymore, and are no longer going, are representative of the other thousand odd who are no longer attending?
Your constant line is we should just put up with whatever injustice that is inflicted on the SANFL, regardless of whether we like it or not.
At what point would the tarps have come out had the Power been put through what we are going through? Would you still follow the Power had they accepted a deal whereby they got paid billions to keep various American athletes "competition fit" by running around in a Power Guernsey against sides like Collingwood and West Coast for premiership points?
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:59 pm

therisingblues wrote:
Booney wrote:It's been aired on here before ; "I'm not going to support the competition anymore, I'm not going to games".

Crowds numbers fall..."Look, crowds are down!"

It's clear the AFL reserves sides aren't going anywhere, the SANFL today is not what it used to be, it's now up to the people who support it to decide what it becomes. If people walk away altogether and don't support it....then predictions of "doomed" aren't overly Nostradamus like.

If people choose to keep supporting their club, in the SANFL, then it should remain as it is now. Different, but it's still your club.

Well I guess you wouldn't need Nostradamus to tell you that those people who openly stated that they wouldn't go to games anymore, and are no longer going, are representative of the other thousand odd who are no longer attending?
Your constant line is we should just put up with whatever injustice that is inflicted on the SANFL, regardless of whether we like it or not.
At what point would the tarps have come out had the Power been put through what we are going through? Would you still follow the Power had they accepted a deal whereby they got paid billions to keep various American athletes "competition fit" by running around in a Power Guernsey against sides like Collingwood and West Coast for premiership points?

Please show me where I have said that.

Tarps, classic.

So what's your answer? ( If you say "kick them out" it's clearly not on the agenda short term. )
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:25 pm

Look at what I quoted you saying. The essence is the same. Attacking people for their futility of opposing the reserves; what is it that actually boils down to if not; "Give it up guys, you've lost, just put up with it"?

My answer at the moment is nothing more than get the word out that the majority are not happy with the reserves situation. I find most AFL types have no knowledge of how genuine followers of the SANFL feel about this. Using comparisons with their own competition should help to bring the message home. I note that there are many in the media preaching the goodness of having the reserves in the SANFL, a lot of people that try to voice opposition on air find themselves talked over, getting dumped, or refused. I reckon you'd need to be pretty well prepared with your facts to give them a run on the radio. They usually will just quote the last game where the Ravens got an above average crowd then say, "Yeah thanks Jonno, next caller!" There have been a few exceptions, LPH being one, but for most of us this board is our forum to voice discontent.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:33 pm

therisingblues wrote:Look at what I quoted you saying. The essence is the same. Attacking people for their futility of opposing the reserves; what is it that actually boils down to if not; "Give it up guys, you've lost, just put up with it"?

My answer at the moment is nothing more than get the word out that the majority are not happy with the reserves situation. I find most AFL types have no knowledge of how genuine followers of the SANFL feel about this. Using comparisons with their own competition should help to bring the message home. I note that there are many in the media preaching the goodness of having the reserves in the SANFL, a lot of people that try to voice opposition on air find themselves talked over, getting dumped, or refused. I reckon you'd need to be pretty well prepared with your facts to give them a run on the radio. They usually will just quote the last game where the Ravens got an above average crowd then say, "Yeah thanks Jonno, next caller!" There have been a few exceptions, LPH being one, but for most of us this board is our forum to voice discontent.

If you're going to oppose something then come up with an alternative, come up with the fix, don't just moan about it not being what you want it to be. Propose a fix. What have you proposed, more moaning?

"AFL followers" don't know about the SANFL discontent as they don't give a flying, that's why the SANFL is where it is.

Clearly the SANFL are set on having the AFL reserves sides in the competition, they don't believe they can afford to lose them. Meanwhile common sense is in the other room and TV rights for a shit deal are costing huge amounts.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby CUTTERMAN » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:22 pm

I'm not going to pot anyone on how they choose to show or vent their displeasure of having the reserves teams in the comp, we all have supported our clubs differently and across different eras, each to their own.
The main issue since the change has been the total lack of interest in what the disgruntled have to say from the clubs, from the league and especially from the media. The only journo that really seems to give a stuff is Warren Partland. Because of the ignorance from those with a say that wield some power the discussion of possible solutions isn't even proposed, God forbid any purposeful change could even be seriously considered.
The article in the OP talks about SA footy being the envy of every other state, imagine if we actually enforced the salary cap and barred the reserves teams from finals and the Magarey but still gave both AFL teams a place to develop their players in a great comp, we could have the best of both worlds with some sort of happy compromise for all. Maybe the VFL could follow and have their comp split in two come finals and the WAFL could seriously question both alignment clubs if it's what they really want if they're barred from finals instead of whoring themselves out for short term gain.
Unfortunately none of this gets any air time or consideration from those in their ivory towers and while this pigheaded ignorance continues the punters will continue to protest whichever way they choose.
I see no real reason why some discussion about some real change can't be had in the public sphere, unless of course they know what the answers are and don't want to implement them. People deserve respect and there's none on the horizon.
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby RB » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:52 pm

therisingblues wrote:My answer at the moment is nothing more than get the word out that the majority are not happy with the reserves situation.

A 300-foot 'NO AFL IN THE SANFL' sign painted onto the turf at Adelaide Oval might do the trick.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby VALE PARK » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:05 pm

Are the SANFL or= the clubs still going to pay up another $1M for TV next year?
That equals $125K per club.
This saved cash could help the really poor clubs and assist the gate if games not on TV.
Just get footy on the radio please.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby CUTTERMAN » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:45 pm

Do the AFL teams have to pitch in for the tv coverage also? Port pay nothing to be in the comp so my guess is they don't.
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby Reddeer » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:14 pm

The TV coverage of the SANFL has been crap, full of ads and ordinary commentary and usually with the AFL team.
Get rid of it altogether, waste of money
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby Big Phil » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:57 pm

VALE PARK wrote:Just get footy on the radio please.

It is on the radio...

On LifeFM and SANFL Radio...
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:15 pm

How does one get appointed to the SANFL commission?
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Jim05 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:30 pm

daysofourlives wrote:How does one get appointed to the SANFL commission?

Kissing a lot of arse and be willing to dip your snout in the trough helps.
Listened to Parkinson on the radio tonight and a bigger AFL stooge you would be hard pressed to find. Seriously wanted to reach through the radio and choke him
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3535 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:44 pm

Jim05 wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:How does one get appointed to the SANFL commission?

Kissing a lot of arse and be willing to dip your snout in the trough helps.
Listened to Parkinson on the radio tonight and a bigger AFL stooge you would be hard pressed to find. Seriously wanted to reach through the radio and choke him

Are they hand picked?
Do the clubs nominate?
Is there voting? Who votes?
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby topsywaldron » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:04 pm

Dutchy wrote:Don't get me wrong I still support my club, however it is passive support now, where as it used to involve membership for me and my kids and going to as many home and away games as I could.

Ironically I now follow them via twitter/SANFL app instead of going to games, according to the SANFL that is good for the comp so who am I to argue?

Agreed. Because I love my club to death I've replaced spending 2 or 3K a year on membership, sponsorship, functions and going to every game with watching the odd game on Ch7 and checking Twitter & the app occasionally.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby saintal » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:11 pm

darley16 wrote:If you blokes are so pi$$ed off about the SANFL and its future, close down this site, why bother posting your continual bile, walk away find something else in life to complain about. The comp is different, it is still a good comp with all our historic clubs competing, the players are committed young men playing to a great standard. Go and watch, support your club and maybe the future won't be a bleak as you're all hoping it should be.

I attend pretty much every week and am one of the few on here who still post about on-field happenings in match threads. A Saturday afternoon watching footy is still enjoyable (for the most part) albeit the atmosphere at games is diminishing.

Having said that, I despise the current structure of the league as much as the next bloke and the future is growing bleaker by the year. The head-in-sand approach adopted by those running the league and the clubs is what worries/frustrates most on here.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby VALE PARK » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:15 pm

I can't remember the last time my SANFL team was broadcast on the radio.
Sad but fact it is poor exposure for my club and the competition generally.
The comp is dying slowly.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby LPH » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:34 pm

I read that article @ work today & almost choked on my 'Morning Tea'... Sorry, but $250K is not going to 'cut it' in terms of debt - that's less than 1/10th of what the Bays need, isn't it? Booney (with respect), haven't those of us against this proposed alternatives over the years? Personally, I am concerned about the whole 'direction' of the footy in SA, at present - not just the SANFL Competition.

As a Coach of a Local Team & with kids also playing for local Clubs, I see a MASSIVE drop off of available players, resulting in mergers between Primary Schools to field teams, a lack of Volunteers to 'run water', Goal Umpire, Coach, run training sessions, etc. @ Clubs too.

The SANFL has taken control of Local Footy & quite frankly, I think they are f***ing it up!
They have become so 'AFLcentric' that they have forgotten the 'nursery' - there will be a shortage of players within the next decade.
Couple with that, the Country Competitions & their challenges in fielding teams & yes, the future appears bleak!
Olsen has presided over a massive downturn in popularity of both the Sport & the Competition - yet doesn't appear to be held accountable.

The PRODUCT (outside the elite level) is 'on the nose'. Why? A combination of factors probably but, one thing is for sure; a lot of damage has been done & many people have suggested the main reason but he & his minions don't want to acknowledge it. To be fair, it is the modern management way (in most industries): make a decision without consultation & when it fails, rather than reassess, DEFEND the decision with all your might in the hope that it turns around! That is the reason 9 out of 10 new Small Businesses fail in this country - not listening to those involved.
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL